Technological Advancement vs. Economics of Utility

DeletedUser

Hey there, I've missed chatting with you all so I thought I'd come up with a (hopefully) good topic. I may/may not reply promptly given that I don't play six hours a day anymore, but anyways, on to the show.

Technological advancement is usually an enabler of higher utility, such as the Agricultural Revolution which allowed people to have a stable food supply and thus bring about the birth of modern civilization. Higher output and lower costs would seem to be a motivation for continued investment in technological advancement. However, there are some cases where this would not apply:

1. Things are 'good enough' - everything works, money is in the coffers, everyone is happy, and people get lazy.
2. Radical changes are discouraged - the stability brought on by case 1 compels people to maintain the status quo and prolong the stability, producing stagnation.
3. Once power is gained, it is seldom relinquished willingly - often, those in power benefit the most from stability, as their length in time of power is proportional to stability.
4. The initial costs for changes seem too high - people become lax and unwilling to work meaningfully towards new horizons.

So, we can see that at times, technological advancement is at odds with utility, economic and otherwise. To make things concrete, an example of the above would be the area of computing. Nowadays, processors are not significantly faster than their predecessors, and there is also the looming shadow of Moore's law. All of the excitement of significant technological advances is mostly in the university and government labs, while consumers would jump for joy at the latest iPad or whatever gadget which only shows marginal improvements in computational power. Indeed, the abundance of apps keep people distracted. Anyone heard of memristers, graphene, or qubits?

Some questions to ponder: Is all/some/no technological advancement worth it at the cost of utility? How can significant change be brought about in spite of the cases posed above? What are the implications?

DeletedUser

This argument is devoid of the influence posed by consumerism. Technological advancement continues to thrive precisely because of consumer encouragement. Advances are rewarded by the thing that sings the loudest, *kaching!*

Right, that's all i'll add to this discussion for now. :)

DeletedUser

Ah yes, consumerism, which begets advancements such as windows, the most virulent breeding ground for malware ever.

DeletedUser

I wouldn't want to live in a world in which there is no advancement.
Stagnation. Marketing will not let that happen for selfish reasons. Marketing even goes into inducing needs and then furfilling them(hybrid cars, my fav example to show how delusional people can get).
Technologies don't always get very soon to the consumers because of high costs. If something is twice as better as it's predecessor but 10 times as expensive, people won't even bother selling it. I am not talking about better smartphones but things like this. I don't see that camera into commercial use very soon.
At the other end advancements will be made no mather what thanks to the great minds out there asking the question "what if?"
The era when people were afraid of advancement is long gone. We got move depreaved the moment the curch wasn't the hearth of the community anymore. :)
I think technological advancements will be made even if the act of making them brings us our doom.

Last edited by a moderator: