RP Discussion Something simple

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Well, I tried with Prawn Hunters, and Kith with apocolypse and Tiger with the WWII one, but things just seem too complicated for everyone to join in...

So I am thinking about starting a new western story taking place in the later 1800's (no single shot muzzle loading black powder weapons, instead the bullets, yaknow), but I need to make a good background story and have some good ideas to flow with it. I also need a good character chart to go with it, I want this to be rather interesting to everyone.

DeletedUser25825

So does this mean you're looking for suggestions? Or are you just announcing you're thinking? :D

I am a veteran of IRC (Internet Relay Chat) Roleplay and I've seen alot more success with that. Forum RP is very hard to get going and stay going, generally no matter what system (GM to haphazard everybody for themselves). It's too easy to just post something, do you life stuff and realize it's been days... then go back and find the story has already advanced to a point you feel it's too much effort to add and quit out to make a new one... or give up entirely. To make matters worse... in the meantime, another person, who probably was quite interested joined up... posted... and didn't see that immediate response to their post. Makes you feel unloved... or like nobody is paying attention... so attention and interest wanes. Vicious circle really. I am an avid player... while my interest stays.

Back to IRC... if you can find a group of individuals... who are able to sign on at relatively the same time... same day(s)... into a chat? Holy wow can you get a great and successful RP going. It doesn't have to be long amount of time. Even if you can get four or five people for an hour or two... the return is as much as a week's worth of forum postings.

I don't know... I'm almost advocating not forum RP... and it feels terribly ironic posting this in a forum of all places. So... I guess this long rambling post (which I apologize profusely about being a relative nobody amongst you) is just to say... let's see if we can grab some humans to join up in a chat? I would humbly submit my own time to work a good backstory and actually GM for a group of people who would like to sit and chat RP for an hour or two whenever. Um... and so saying that... I still plan on RP'ing here as well.

Sorry to use your thread for my soapbox... I suppose it really should be its own thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 819397

I second the question...if it's just you thinking I'll close the thread.

DeletedUser

Well David, I think the reason yours didn't work was because it was too centered on District 9, and I guess not enough of us saw that movie. I think something more recognized would be more successful.

DeletedUser13682

Wait, the D9 thread died? I was hoping to RP in there... Not that I have anything against the prawns, they're great creatures, I even have a few of them as friends! It was the money! A limit on what you could do, that made it exciting. And I was the only one to equip all my men with all their gear, without going over the R8,000,000 limit that MNU set for us.

Deleted User - 819397

Well David, I think the reason yours didn't work was because it was too centered on District 9, and I guess not enough of us saw that movie. I think something more recognized would be more successful.

Yeah...I hadn't seen that movie so I felt I'd be constantly trying to keep up, therefore I didn't join that RP.

DeletedUser

I have noticed there aren't lot of western RP's in here, on a west game forum.

Even before i joined the forum, i joined this game to roleplay a gunslinger, but if you do that in the game you'll fill your ears with being called a noob. :)

DeletedUser

There used to be tons of western themed RP's. We got bored of them. Of course, that was a long time ago; we do have one now.

I think that we should try to only have one RP per genre at a time. That would allow us to focus our "creative energy" per say. WWIII failed because we already have The Apocalypse.

I didn't join Prawn Hunters because it was based on District 9 (which I did watch). I want to write my own story; not follow a movie.

However, an well-thought-out alien RP could be good.

Genres/ Current RP's
Post-Apocalypse/ Project Blue Ark
Fantasy/ The Gods are Among Us
Western/ Western 1860 RP
War/ The Apocalypse is Upon Us; WW2 Squad Command; Vietnam
Alien/
Space/
Alternate Universe/
Alternate History/
Historical/
Survivor/

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

History and alternate history are giving me some ideas. I think the Bolshevik revolution, the gold rush (a little Western too) and maybe something Roman would make good stories.

DeletedUser

We could come up with some good ones, but I think that we have enough for now.

DeletedUser

I have to say I like all of those ideas, but I have some suggestions for genere's too. Mind you their a little more feminine because I used to role-play on Gaia and there's a much larger female to male ratio. Even though, there were still plenty of guys who role-played with us and enjoyed these types of role-plays!

-School (usually boarding school or college, based around a group of friends. Think about the TV show 'Community')
-A Rising Band (DO NOT even assume I mean the little boy band TV shows, I mean a real band, sex, drugs, real music, drama and all!)
-Fantasy Future (though this might be able to be put under Space/Alien. Think something like Star Trek, Firefly/Serenity, or even the Matrix)

I was actually thinking of even posting one based off an idea I stole from a book series I was reading. Its about these people who have drank this stuff that makes them not able to cross to the other side, or in plain terms they've become Immortal. The book was more of a young adult romance but it had some undertones of fighting and I formatted a role-play that is based more so on the fighting.

I'm not positive about posting it though, and I'm not even sure I would do it right away, because we already have a lot of role-plays out.

Deleted User - 819397

cornnachoz;496773 [FONT=Century Gothic said:
-A Rising Band (DO NOT even assume I mean the little boy band TV shows, I mean a real band, sex, drugs, real music, drama and all!)[/FONT]

I can say for certain that the sex part of that one won't go over...for a while the RP section was getting a little promiscuous to be honest, and when I became the mod here I set up a rule on that:

Lord Regal said:
No blatant suggestive themes. This is anything that blatantly has sexual references, and are very obvious as to what is going on.

Younger members of this forum do come here, and I want this to be a friendly place for all of them. However, I do understand that some RPs are supposed to mimic the real world, so I do allow references. Examples are:

allowed said:
Susan and Mark disappeared behind the bedroom door. They were finally ready to show their love for one another.

This is enough to show older members what is going on while being vague enough to go over younger members heads.

As for the survival genre...my Airplane Crash thread was a success...at least until it turned utterly wacky by having people who essentially only spammed it join in...I might make another one of those...

DeletedUser

As long as it's good, I'll come back and post in this side of the forum. But as I said, it has to be good.

DeletedUser

We got enough RPs involving fighting and stuff so you could make a Romantic one :p

Deleted User - 819397

that would be a change of pace...I don't think there's been a romantic RP since I joined...now some RPs have gone that way, but they weren't planned for that...

Status
Not open for further replies.