Sleep and Energy

Murdoch

If this game is based on 24 hours in game = 24 hours of real life it seems flawed. Even if its supposed to be faster its flawed.

I sleep for 8 hours and spend $10 for a room. This gives me back 64 energy and 134 health. Every 10 minute job I do eats 2 energy. As such I can work 320 minutes or 5.3 hours for 8 hours of sleep!

Even with the worst night of sleep in the world I can do better than 5.3 hours of productivity to 8 hours of sleep. What am I a Cat? My character is sleeping 14 hours of the Day just to stay active.

Now on the other hand in that same time I can heal 134% of my health. Lets assume a health value of 1 is the most sick, beat up, damaged a character can be without death. So I have been pretty messed up in real life broken bones can take months, Ive been sick before for a week, sun burns can take a few days to heal with aloe and other more modern medicine.

But in this game I can sleep for 8 hours be completely healed, but not able to muster up enough energy to work for even 6 hours before I am so tired I need to go back to bed.

If a job required 1 energy point every 10 minutes a fully rested PC could work for 16.6 hours before they needed to sleep again. and you sleeping at the worst spot in the game (but still a hotel room) would allow you to work for 10.6 hours before you needed to sleep again.

I think some balance is needed because taking 1 hour off (gain 3 points) to work 15 minutes is asinine!

Whistlingleaf

I believe thats why the game has Luxury Apartments in the Hotel ...

I mean did you ever try and sleep in a Janitors Closet ? It can't be that comfy :p

kylehaury

You can get better rooms in better hotel you know specially the one with the 5 stars on it..wil revive you back to 100 energy points..take it easy breathe and relax and just enjoy the game..

Makkinen

Imagine your day if you will...

09:00 :) wake up bright and breezy full of energy, you don't have any breakfast then set off straight to work.
09:30 arrive at your employers (Worzel Gummages Bird Scarer's Inc) and flap your arms wildly for 1 hour without stopping causing lactic acid to surge through your bi-ceps.
10:55 :confused: you remember not to stop for a nice cup of tea and a brief rest, instead you go straight off to job number two of the day.
11:00 spend 2 hours digging graves on your own (without the use of a J.C.B.) then go back off to your first job because you didn't remember to pick up a feather...a feather!!!...who cares about a feather
12:30 having spent another 1 hour flapping your arms and running around a field looking for a feather you
14:30 :confused: You remember you didn't stop for lunch, but hell who cares you've only been travelling on foot through uncivilised countryside or completing manual labour for the past 5:30...so why not carry on...
14:35 :eek: Spend a little time laying Railroad Tracks, in a completely unsupervised and un-coordinated effort you hap-hazardly lay random tracks in the same area as 10 other equally un-coordinated people for about an hour.
15:35 Your beginning to feel a little tired after your day, but you still have a little energy for another 30 minutes of laying railroad tracks...
16:05 Having spend the entire day work and travelling without a stop until every ounce of your energy is expended you quite reasonably turn in for an early night...

So your day...

2:00 of Bird Scaring Arm Waving
2:00 Grave Digging
1:30 Laying Railroad Tracks

I can assure you i'd be off to bed after that, and i'd be wanting to sleep somewhere a little more luxurious than a janitors cupboard if i was going to wake up the next day and do it all again

kylehaury

Imagine your day if you will...

09:00 :) wake up bright and breezy full of energy, you don't have any breakfast then set off straight to work.
09:30 arrive at your employers (Worzel Gummages Bird Scarer's Inc) and flap your arms wildly for 1 hour without stopping causing lactic acid to surge through your bi-ceps.
10:55 :confused: you remember not to stop for a nice cup of tea and a brief rest, instead you go straight off to job number two of the day.
11:00 spend 2 hours digging graves on your own (without the use of a J.C.B.) then go back off to your first job because you didn't remember to pick up a feather...a feather!!!...who cares about a feather
12:30 having spent another 1 hour flapping your arms and running around a field looking for a feather you
14:30 :confused: You remember you didn't stop for lunch, but hell who cares you've only been travelling on foot through uncivilised countryside or completing manual labour for the past 5:30...so why not carry on...
14:35 :eek: Spend a little time laying Railroad Tracks, in a completely unsupervised and un-coordinated effort you hap-hazardly lay random tracks in the same area as 10 other equally un-coordinated people for about an hour.
15:35 Your beginning to feel a little tired after your day, but you still have a little energy for another 30 minutes of laying railroad tracks...
16:05 Having spend the entire day work and travelling without a stop until every ounce of your energy is expended you quite reasonably turn in for an early night...

So your day...

2:00 of Bird Scaring Arm Waving
2:00 Grave Digging
1:30 Laying Railroad Tracks

I can assure you i'd be off to bed after that, and i'd be wanting to sleep somewhere a little more luxurious than a janitors cupboard if i was going to wake up the next day and do it all again
Wow ncie imagination my friend^^

Sanders

I know so would I. Come one big towns upgrade your hotels!

BigBen

You regenerate 1 energy for every during the game no matter what you are doing (believe this is in addition to the 64 during sleeping as well but I'm not sure). You also have to walk between the town and the job.

So starting from 0 energy.
8 hours sleep = 72 energy
30 minutes to walk to a job = 72.5 energy (doesn't show, just keeping a total)
2 hrs at the job = 72.5 - 24 + 2 = 50.5
30 min to walk to another = 51
2 hrs at the job = 51 - 24 + 2 = 29
30 min to walk to another = 29.5
2 hrs at the job = 29.5 - 24 + 2 = 7.5
30 min to walk to another = 8
40 min at the job = 8 - 8 = 0

So you get 6 hrs 40 min of work for 8 hrs sleep. You will also get 8 more energy points that day so you can get 7 hrs 20 min of work out of a 24 hour day with only 8 hours sleep. That is roughly a 8 hour work day - 30 min lunch break :)

If you have premium you get 1.5 energy per hour so you can do 1 extra hour of work each day.

zerohour86

sleeping

can you only sleep in an hotel cause after i spent my energy i just leave it doing nothing and it doesnt seem to regenerate much energy. :confused:

Zazz Sasst

I still say that 30 minutes of prayer should grant you 1 energy pt... Would actually place a good use of the chapel other than just something to decorate a town with...

Would add an extra dynamic to the game, that's fo' shore (without imbalancing anything)

Kahlner

I still say that 30 minutes of prayer should grant you 1 energy pt... Would actually place a good use of the chapel other than just something to decorate a town with...

Would add an extra dynamic to the game, that's fo' shore (without imbalancing anything)
There is already a reason for the church.
The consequences of praying are secret and will not be revealed by anyone. Even the support people do not know the answer.

Why do people never read the help?

thefbiman

a job uses 12 points of energy per hour, but u regenerate 3 IN ALL situations (except sleeping in hotel when u regenerate 8, 9, 10, 11 or 12 per hour).
So, an hour of job will eat up 9 points (12 for working, and 3 regenerated). Therefore, for 8 hours of sleep u get 64 energy and u can use those in about 7 hours of work.
Therefore, "our" 24h day is in fact a 15 hours where we sleep 8h and work 7h. Now except the cases when we travel, sit and do nothing and other non-useful activities (in light of this game purpose), this is a really bad time. You can say you get a luxury apartment (at 250$ for 36 more points it seams WAY too expensive), but that is also low, it will help u sleep 8 hours and work for 11 hours. And u'll have 2 recover those 250 $ in 11 hours which will mean u have 2 earn more than 23 $/hour, which means only top jobs to be able to just sleep and work. Really messed again.
As pointed above, there is this strange thing, we recover 2.4 more health than points, so at luxury aparts we have 240 health and 100 energy, which is completely out of real life (i know it's a game, but it tries 2 look as real life with jobs, duels, towns, hotels, need 2 sleep, injuries, items and so on). So where in RL you can go to sleep tired and with a broken arm and wake up healed but still a bit tired.....

Murdoch

Seems like thefbiman is the only one getting what i am saying. Even if we add in the 3 points per hour and give every job 30 minutes of walking on top of the 2 hour job. it costs 24 - 6 - 1.5 = 16.5 energy down every 2.5 hours. I can maintain at best 4 jobs before I sleep.

In Real Life, I work 10 to 12 hours a day at my job. I spend 2 to 3 hours with my kids, cooking, House work etc. Hour or two goofing off. and sleep for 6 to 7 hours. This is a daily thing. I get up every day feeling fine.

When I go Camping I sleep on the ground, I get maybe 6 hours of sleep, and then go hiking, fishing, biking and playing all day.

The cost of a good room is way out of the pay grade of any player in the game now, and in RL I have stayed at 5 start hotels, and I have stayed at places that should be rented by the hour. Both types I wake up after 6 to 8 hours with enough energy to be active for 16+ hours.

I have run shows and stayed up and working for 72 hours straight (followed by about 16 hours of sleep) and returned to a normal schedule.

I go out and do work programs where I am shoveling, building, climbing, cleaning places from sun up to sun down, hard work like loading a hay loft. sleep for 6 to 8 hours and can do it again.

All this in a time and era of LAZY americans. We are talking the 1800's men worked the railroads, mines, lunber fiields for 10, 12, 14 hours a day. Farmers got up at first light and worked all day long. This was normal for people back then, its why they died young.

All of this and I can heal anything in one night of rest. Is BROKEN!

Graega

Would you prefer not to heal your wounds and get pecked to death by random-damage turkeys?

Vent

This game isn't realistic. The only thing I can ask is...

What tasks are you queuing up just before you go to bed? Sleep + a 2 hour task is usually the answer. Doesn't mean you won't sleep during the day, you won't have a 24 hour cycle period if you are constantly doing jobs. I've had times where I've slept + 2h job + slept.

Breth

If this game is based on 24 hours in game = 24 hours of real life it seems flawed. Even if its supposed to be faster its flawed.

I sleep for 8 hours and spend $10 for a room. This gives me back 64 energy and 134 health. Every 10 minute job I do eats 2 energy. As such I can work 320 minutes or 5.3 hours for 8 hours of sleep!
Your a *bit* flawed in your math ...

Sleep in Janitor closet for 8 hours with 0 energy ... 64 energy when you wake up.

Work 320 minutes ... 32 10 minute jobs. What is your energy? Not 0 ... its about 16 energy. thats 8 more jobs. So thats 400 minutes of work all from sleeping in janitor closet ... 6 hours 40 minutes. You can energy while you sleep.

By the way ... do you plant sugar, tending sheep, mine stone, or such in real life? You may be more tired then you'd think. No electronics, no cars ... the sun beating down on you, etc. It can get to ya ;)

Wild Ed

I get 96 energy from the janitors closet for 8 hours. ;) I do have to say that the high levels of hotels are useless who would ever pay that much. Most I would ever pay for sleep is dormitory and even that's a bit much. Makes hotel levels above 2 useless unless there are some jobs paying out $75 an hour.

DeletedUser1105

You'll start getting more money later in the game, and then the amounts it costs to sleep won't look so daunting, I'm guesing.

Vent

I get 96 energy from the janitors closet for 8 hours. ;) I do have to say that the high levels of hotels are useless who would ever pay that much. Most I would ever pay for sleep is dormitory and even that's a bit much. Makes hotel levels above 2 useless unless there are some jobs paying out $75 an hour.
While higher levels of Hotels might seem expensive, town members get free sleep. Wouldn't you like to sleep 5 star rating for free? Better than a Janitor's Closet IMO.

Murdoch

Even if you can get 100 energy in 8 hours, its 10 to 11 hours of work to 8 hours of sleep. The proportions are wrong.

I saw a show yesterday on the great wall of china. 400 miles were laid in 600 days. That's 6.66 miles of wall built every day. Workers worked sun up to sun down.

I remember another show on railroads in Africa. They laid 10 miles of track every day.

This site is full of crap jobs from the 1800's http://www.channel4.com/history/microsites/W/worstjobs/victorian.html and before.

Almost all sites, shows, tours, documents I have read seem to point at life being very hard in the times of old and people worked from dawn to dusk every day on very hard physically demanding tasks.

Sure they died young and destroyed there bodies doing them. Maybe you could work yourself negative on energy but increase chance of injury? (not that it would matter as we could heal 200%++ of any damage by sleeping for 8 hours).

Makkinen

Yeah but equally those worked working on Railroads and The Great Wall were slave workers, motivated by the whip and threat of death...given the choice i'm sure they would have given it a miss and had a nap