Should religion be illegal?

• Thread starter DeletedUser8950
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

ah but i think your missing the point a willingness to change ones belief dosnt make them open minded it only shows a lack of conviction in said beliefs

it would take something rather drastic to change my beleifs but i would never try to eliiminate someone elses right to have or to share there differing beliefs

christans and other creationists for example never fight to remove evolotion techings from school they only fight to have there beliefs taught as a possiblilty as well

yet evolutionists actively fight to keep creationism from being taught as a possiblity

if you view it from an external perspective both are in essence unproveable yet widely beleived theories on how life was created on earth

in the case of christianity its even been around far longer then the theory of evolution

so why is one theory allowed to be taught and the other not ?

its the height of hypocracy

in the end its blind closed mindedness and a desire to silence opposing viewpoints that leads to this behaivor

centuires ago it was the religious groups taht saught to silence science now the science groups seek to silence religion

it was horrificaly wrong when the religous groups tried to silence science and its equaly wrong today for the scientific groups to repeat the same mistakes
A bit of a grab-bag of opinions here, but allow me to cherry-pick:
..a willingness to change ones belief dosnt make them open minded..
That's exactly what 'open-minded' means

..they only fight to have there beliefs taught as a possiblilty as well ...evolutionists actively fight to keep creationism from being taught as a possiblity ...
In the US there is a constitutional obligation to keep state and religion separate. I'm not an American, but I assume what you say applies to state schools and that private religious schools can teach what and how they like. As far as I'm aware the argument is only about the content of science courses and that nobody is fighting to stop creationism being taught in R.E.
Creationism is not science. Simple as. So don't teach in science class just as the theory of evolution should not be taught in R.E. [Btw evolution is a THEORY not a BELIEF - important difference there - I believe it to be a fine theory but I don't believe IN IT. I would ditch it tomorrow if a better theory came along, and I don't pray to Darwin either]. If you want creation myths to be part of science courses then you'd better accept that your scientists will be the worst in the world, because there are literally hundreds of them and there would not be very much time to teach what people generally call, um... you know... SCIENCE.
Of course, if you only want one (yours) taught and the rest suppressed, well, who's calling the kettle black now?

in the case of christianity its even been around far longer then the theory of evolution
Ooops, careful.... the Jews can trump you on that one. On that logic, the earth must be flat after all.

C--

DeletedUser

A bit of a grab-bag of opinions here, but allow me to cherry-pick:

That's exactly what 'open-minded' means

In the US there is a constitutional obligation to keep state and religion separate. I'm not an American, but I assume what you say applies to state schools and that private religious schools can teach what and how they like. As far as I'm aware the argument is only about the content of science courses and that nobody is fighting to stop creationism being taught in R.E.
Creationism is not science. Simple as. So don't teach in science class just as the theory of evolution should not be taught in R.E. [Btw evolution is a THEORY not a BELIEF - important difference there - I believe it to be a fine theory but I don't believe IN IT. I would ditch it tomorrow if a better theory came along, and I don't pray to Darwin either]. If you want creation myths to be part of science courses then you'd better accept that your scientists will be the worst in the world, because there are literally hundreds of them and there would not be very much time to teach what people generally call, um... you know... SCIENCE.
Of course, if you only want one (yours) taught and the rest suppressed, well, who's calling the kettle black now?

Ooops, careful.... the Jews can trump you on that one. On that logic, the earth must be flat after all.

C--

ok ont eh first note

open-minded (ōpən mīndid)
adjective
having a mind that is open to new ideas; free from prejudice or bias

no where does it say you have to change your mind to be open minded only accepting of others beliefs

creationism or intelligent design is indeed a scientific theory

christianity and otehr religions might not be but intelliget design is indeed a scientific theroy based on scientific evidence

as for most chriistians and other religions they simply have fought for durring the teaching of evolution to let the studints know that there are other beleifs and opinions on the subject and to offer optional reading on the matter for them to access if they so choose on there own time which i would say is a fair comprimise

lastly the us constitution protects FREEDOM OF RELIGION not freedom FROM religion theres a distinct difernce thats often overlooked in that

the state may not support one religion over another and it may not enforce a state sponsord religion but it may not prevent the expression of ones religous beleifs

sadly the liberal anti christian movement inthe US has done its best to bury that distinction when it comes to christianity but no other religion

recently a judge ruled that a man who raped his wife was protected because it was his muslim beleif that he can do what he wants whne his wife when he wants

DeletedUser

ok ont eh first note

open-minded (ōpən mīndid)
adjective
having a mind that is open to new ideas; free from prejudice or bias

no where does it say you have to change your mind to be open minded only accepting of others beliefs

Sneaky! You changed 'willingness to change your mind' to actually 'change your mind' and hoped no one would notice. :)
The root of 'Prejudice' is the same as 'pre-judge'. If you don't pre-judge then you must ipso facto be willing to change your mind. QED

christianity and otehr religions might not be but intelliget design is indeed a scientific theroy based on scientific evidence
Whoa!
One definition of a scientific theory - a theory that explains scientific observations; "scientific theories must be falsifiable"

What evidence would falsify creationism? Tell us and let's check it out.

as for most chriistians and other religions they simply have fought for durring the teaching of evolution to let the studints know that there are other beleifs and opinions on the subject and to offer optional reading on the matter for them to access if they so choose on there own time which i would say is a fair comprimise
Agreed. Also with history, archaeology, ethnology, astro-physics, paleontology, social studies etc. etc. It would take 2 minutes and we'd be done with it.

the state may not support one religion over another and it may not enforce a state sponsord religion but it may not prevent the expression of ones religous beleifs
I'm not aware that Christians are being persecuted in the US.

recently a judge ruled that a man who raped his wife was protected because it was his muslim beleif that he can do what he wants whne his wife when he wants
Irrelevant, but please provide your source anyway for verification. You don't even say if this was in the US or Saudi Arabia so it's not very informative.

DeletedUser

Please tell us the science behind creationism.

Please make it more than this

creationism.gif

DeletedUser

Further, xcentric, people actually dismiss God because it is too hard for them to grasp, they can't imagine a being that has no beginning and no end. So they take the easy way out, atheism.

It's not hard to grasp the concept of God.

It's very easy.

You think it's due to a lack of imagination.

I admire the brainwashing machine that got a hold of you. It is very thorough.

DeletedUser

Sneaky! You changed 'willingness to change your mind' to actually 'change your mind' and hoped no one would notice. :)
The root of 'Prejudice' is the same as 'pre-judge'. If you don't pre-judge then you must ipso facto be willing to change your mind. QED

Whoa!
One definition of a scientific theory - a theory that explains scientific observations; "scientific theories must be falsifiable"

What evidence would falsify creationism? Tell us and let's check it out.

Agreed. Also with history, archaeology, ethnology, astro-physics, paleontology, social studies etc. etc. It would take 2 minutes and we'd be done with it.

I'm not aware that Christians are being persecuted in the US.

Irrelevant, but please provide your source anyway for verification. You don't even say if this was in the US or Saudi Arabia so it's not very informative.

1 its simple im always willin to change my mind but that doesnt mean ill jsut change it willy nilly it would take some serious evidence to cause me to change my mind

2 as for intelligent design the evidence is the same as evolution
there are many holes int eh theory of evolution that lend to the beleif that SOME form of entity more powerfull then ourselves had a hand in some way in our creation weather it be through guided evolution or instant creation is unknown but both options are fully plauseable

and a theroy doesnt have to be falsifyable not sure where u came up with that notion a good theroy is tested and there are attempts to prove it false and attempts to prove it true in th end theres as much evidence for and agianst ID as there is for evolution

3 Christians are greatly persicuted in the US , attempts are made to prevent them from praying in public and from carriing bibles in public places and schools and government buildings etc while muslims are allowed all these exact same privliges christians are often denied the very definition of religious persicution

4 the case was recent in new jersey
http://artiea.new.newsvine.com/_new...ult-because-islam-forbids-wives-to-refuse-sex

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/07/s...-sexual-assault-because-husbands-religio.html

DeletedUser

Please tell us the science behind creationism.

Please make it more than this

creationism.gif
apperntly youve never bothered to ready any of my posts as you would know im NOT christian and while i have studied the bible and christianity as wella s many other religions i am not in any way religious

ive been emersed in science since i was a very small child , i had a personal subscription to scientific american since i was 8 years old

the simple fact is the math and science behind evolution doesnt add up not unless you consider the fact that for it all to work out something would ahve had to have a hand in making it all work ive studied science ive studied religion and while i dont find that any one has a complete answer i find that theres too much missing to beleive that it was all random evolution

DeletedUser21689

My goodness. I wanted to Quote just about everyone in my text. You can't stop people believing exactly what they wish. you will just end up with underground religion. The Romans made human candles out of christians, when Nero was Emporer. They could have recanted, but they didn't. I am not a religious person, however i do believe in being a good person. If people tried to just be good it does not matter which religion you believe. Catholics tried to stop prodestants, and vice versa. ( Sorry about the Latin). Jews and Moslems, don't get along. (sorry about the simplicity). You could go on all day, which is what different religions do to each other. No-one alive today can say with any certainty what happened at the time of a partcular religious books inception. because they weren't there. They have to take a leap of faith. (Sorry about the truth). I do know that every religious book has had numerous re-writes. Which begs the question. What was the person thinking at the time? At least if your good your good and your not trying to interpret something which a so called educated person has decided is the truth. People like that must justify themselves to stop them realising they've wasted there lives. What we have will not stop unless people stop listening to so called experts of any religion. Is science the new religion? It wants to be, but lets always question it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser21656

You guys write too complicated.

Spare a thoughts on we guys :laugh:

In short, I disagree that religion should be illegal. Why?

From people who believe in God's perpective:
God is the greatest!! How dare you people who insult God!!!:blink:

From people who don't believe in God's perpective:
Many from this category believe in freedom like gay rights n such.

So, we people have the "right" to believe in god. For you guys, don't believe god is you own business:laugh: Therefore, for the sake of "our right", religion is legal!!

Simple and sweet.:)

DeletedUser

1 its simple im always willin to change my mind but that doesnt mean ill jsut change it willy nilly it would take some serious evidence to cause me to change my mind

2 as for intelligent design the evidence is the same as evolution
there are many holes int eh theory of evolution that lend to the beleif that SOME form of entity more powerfull then ourselves had a hand in some way in our creation weather it be through guided evolution or instant creation is unknown but both options are fully plauseable

and a theroy doesnt have to be falsifyable not sure where u came up with that notion a good theroy is tested and there are attempts to prove it false and attempts to prove it true in th end theres as much evidence for and agianst ID as there is for evolution

3 Christians are greatly persicuted in the US , attempts are made to prevent them from praying in public and from carriing bibles in public places and schools and government buildings etc while muslims are allowed all these exact same privliges christians are often denied the very definition of religious persicution

4 the case was recent in new jersey
http://artiea.new.newsvine.com/_new...ult-because-islam-forbids-wives-to-refuse-sex

http://www.jihadwatch.org/2010/07/s...-sexual-assault-because-husbands-religio.html
1. Stand still - I can't get a shot in with you jumping around like that.

2."a theroy doesnt have to be falsifyable" *facepalm*. I hope all those Scientific American's are providing good insulation in your loft, because they didn't teach you the first thing about science. This is basic stuff you're getting wrong.

3. I simply don't believe you. I've been to the US and I'm pretty sure I could have carried a Bible the whole way across it and prayed at every lamppost without official interference. Maybe not in some public buildings, because that would open the way to others slaughtering sheep or running round naked claiming equality before the law. That seems a reasonable constraint to me.

4. The case was overturned on appeal. You assume the judge was liberal, but he (or she, but I'll bet any money it was a guy) could equally have been just an old-fashioned, conservative sexist.

DeletedUser

3. I simply don't believe you. I've been to the US and I'm pretty sure I could have carried a Bible the whole way across it and prayed at every lamppost without official interference. Maybe not in some public buildings, because that would open the way to others slaughtering sheep or running round naked claiming equality before the law. That seems a reasonable constraint to me.

He's completely wrong. I find it funny he's saying Muslims have more religious freedom than Christians as well. Since people are debating whether Muslims should be allowed to build a Mosque at Ground Zero, or the area around the 9/11 Crash Site.

Secondly, Christians shouldn't be praying in public. Me being a former Christian and all, I'm pretty sure the Bishop who would preach to me at School Masses would say NEVER pray in public, but rather keep it as a private 'conversation'.

Third, he's not entirely wrong; with one exception. I mean, the Westboro Baptist Church, are pretty much prosecuted. But that's cause they claim dead soldiers coming back from war is God's way of punishing them, and that gays should die, etc. They're the only example of Christians being 'prosecuted' that I can think of, but they deserve it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Third, he's not entirely wrong; with one exception. I mean, the Westboro Baptist Church, are pretty much prosecuted. But that's cause they claim dead soldiers coming back from war is God's way of punishing them, and that gays should die, etc. They're the only example of Christians being 'prosecuted' that I can think of, but they deserve it.

I think I saw a Louis Theroux programme on them if they're the ones who picket servicemen's funerals with placards saying that they are going to hell. I just changed my mind - that's one form of religion (or religious abuse) that SHOULD be made illegal.

DeletedUser

(( Page 12, two pages beyond the stated 10 page rule. Good fun, some topic derailing going on, but mostly on topic. ))

(( Most everyone has stated their positions and are just repeating themselves, topic closed. ))

(( If you wish to debate any particular off-topic point presented in this thread, create a new thread. ))

Status
Not open for further replies.