Rule change

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Rule change We've added a new rule to the rules page. To give people time to adjust we will not begin actively searching or punishing players/towns who are violating this rule until Sunday the 7th of November. We are aware that there are some towns already that will violate this rule, if they are still violating it by the 7th the town may be turned in to a ghost town.

Language

The West is an English game. English should be the only used language since it is the only language that is understood by everyone! All profiles and in-game town forums must be written in English. It is against the rules to create or manage a town that is exclusively for one nationality or language and/or to exclude other players because of their nationality. Repeated violations of the rule will lead to an account ban.

• You must be able to answer queries from the administration team in proficient English.
  • A town's in-game forum must be in English.
What do you think of this rule change?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Please do not post multiple times. All I am doing is merging them into one post.

DeletedUser

I'm a moderator on another site with 1,000's of users that has the same rule. The rule is for a very good reason. It's impossible to enforce game and forum rules regarding content if the staff is unable to read content in languages they don't know. If the staff can't read chineese or danish, how do they know if your telling dirty jokes, harrassing other users, or doing anything that falls outside of the game or forums Code of Conduct?

DeletedUser

Please do not post multiple times. All I am doing is merging them into one post.

I tried to make my first post as neutral as posiible even though I have steam comming out of my ears cause of anger.

That was the reason why I had 1 post to start the discusion, and then I let out some steam on my next posts where I told what I was thinking.

Now the first post inteded to be a neutral start to a discusion is not a neutral start to a discusion anymore.

DeletedUser

This is not up for discussion, please do not post multiple times.

My opinion on this is that if foreign language speaking people are breaking the rules, bragging about it in their language we are not able to understand and keep the game rule-breaker free. This is an English game, if you'd like another language game, I am sure there are others in that language.
(that is my opinion)

DeletedUser

I'm a moderator on another site with 1,000's of users that has the same rule. The rule is for a very good reason. It's impossible to enforce game and forum rules regarding content if the staff is unable to read content in languages they don't know. If the staff can't read chineese or danish, how do they know if your telling dirty jokes, harrassing other users, or doing anything that falls outside of the game or forums Code of Conduct?

So you would have me telling my townmembers that they should stop playing if the are not good at english?

Why does mods read Town Forums? isn't that a bit unfair to allow a player to read other towns forums?

I actually don't see any reason why gamemods should read town forums, unless there is a clear indication of someting wrong.

What is it exatly that you want me to do? should I now translate alle theposts in our Town forum to english in the next days to avoid the forum to be deleted?

DeletedUser

Buffalo Brian, you've shown you can speak good english, so whats the harm?

Plus, I'm a mod on a site which has people from all over the world, and they all speak english , or at least try, without complaining. Surely so can you.

DeletedUser

This is not up for discussion, please do not post multiple times.

My opinion on this is that if foreign language speaking people are breaking the rules, bragging about it in their language we are not able to understand and keep the game rule-breaker free. This is an English game, if you'd like another language game, I am sure there are others in that language.
(that is my opinion)

I understand that I shouldn't post multple times, but That wasn't what I was trying, I was trying to start a simple and neutral discusion, and then in the next post let out some steam. It was actually an attempt on my part to not let my feelings colour the 1. post.

Do the mod read all the town forums every day to make sure no players a braking the rules?

DeletedUser

I understand your reasons Buffalo, it's just against the rules :)

We aren't going to read every town's forums every day, no. When looking into other issues we may come across a town with different language forums and that does not help resolve issues at all. To help us, the ingame moderators it is much better to use English.

DeletedUser

Plus, I'm a mod on a site which has people from all over the world, and they all speak english , or at least try, without complaining. Surely so can you.

Im angry becouse we have wellfunctioning forums in towns in world 2,3 and 4 that now will be deleted in 4 days time.

I can understand that we have to talk english, but what harm is there in letting players have a townforum in another language?

DeletedUser

Use common sense please. If it's obvious that you've started using English then your town forum won't be removed just because there is some Danish in the past.

DeletedUser

Bryan, if you change your forums to English they will not be deleted :)

DeletedUser

I understand your reasons Buffalo, it's just against the rules :)

We aren't going to read every town's forums every day, no. When looking into other issues we may come across a town with different language forums and that does not help resolve issues at all. To help us, the ingame moderators it is much better to use English.

would you give the towns with forums in other language some time to translate their forums to english, before deleting them?

I personly need more than 4 days to translate the Forum in Hell Town
(in RL I have just gotten the keys to my first house, so me and my wife will use a lot of time on that)

DeletedUser

would you give the towns with forums in other language some time to translate their forums to english, before deleting them?

I personly need more than 4 days to translate the Forum in Hell Town
(in RL I have just gotten the keys to my first house, so me and my wife will use a lot of time on that)

If I were you, I'd just translate important things and delete the offtopic banter :)
That shouldn't take long.. Or just start over?

DeletedUser

Im angry becouse we have wellfunctioning forums in towns in world 2,3 and 4 that now will be deleted in 4 days time.

I can understand that we have to talk english, but what harm is there in letting players have a townforum in another language?

like Gem said. The mods have to know what is being said to fairly moderate a site. For all they know, people in your forum could be swearing at and bullying others(I'm not saying you are doing this, but to a mod who doesn't speak Danish, how can they know that).

DeletedUser

Use common sense please. If it's obvious that you've started using English then your town forum won't be removed just because there is some Danish in the past.

so we only have to write english in the new posts?

That would actually be fine, can we use the current threads Or would you prefer we started new threads so that english wasn't mixed with danish.

DeletedUser

I understand why we have to have people being able to write english to the administrators... An easy and logical rule to have.

Would love to know the positiv things that the other rulechanges are causing.

Negative things...

Users who are not that well written in english, will have less reason to play this game.

Users who play because they know people are less prone to play, especially if they only play because they have a personal relationship with all in the town.

Having to read every forum through, to be sure that english is the only language written.

Nationality wars... One of the most fun things in other online games I've played such as Ikariam, Path to Pelantashttp://www87.hattrick.org/common/cn.asp?action=view&threadid=11213845&number=1 and Travian among others... It makes it possible for the ones that doesn't necessarily win it all, to have infights, where everybody in the town feel nationalistic, and therefor makes for a more fun fight.

What are the good thing in saying that a town can't exclude other players because of their nationality.... The leader of the town could just say..."I'm not doing that, I'm excluding people I don't trust, and only trust the people I know"... An important thing to avoid spies... It still has the same outcome, but a town doesn't exclude because of nationality, but because it doesn't find them trustworthy... How would the administrators know if it is because of nationality og because it is important to know eachother...

And if it is enough to have 1 of another nationality in the town... Are anyone then safe, from the rule of excluding because of nationality... And how do you know, that a citizen of USA is not of another nationality.

DeletedUser

The west has lots of different versions for lots of languages, I hear more are opening soon. The people who are not that great at English would be able to play their own language no problem! :)

Then, the people hired would be able to understand the language.

To make the moderators have to know 50 languages is not fair - I'd not be able to do it! :D

DeletedUser

Have you guys ever thought about getting some Danish GM's or Chineese GM's? Or just getting some persons who understands the language, so you can check if anything seems wrong..

Personaly, I don't know how good my English is, but one thing is for sure - that I don't like writting english.. It's difficult, it's seems wrong and have absolute no idea if the others I'm writting to, understand anything of what I'm trying to say..
And I know that there are others who has a lot more problems writting in English..

I don't think I keep playing this game if this rule stands.. I think that this game is really fun, but this is just going to ruin it.. I still can't see the problem in speaking another language than English in the townforums.. If the rest of the city has agreed in speaking that language that is okay, and you, GM's/MOD's, has to find another way to find out what is written.. But what is it you are afraid that are written, illegal, in the townforums?

As I said, I don't think I keep playing this game, and I hope a lot others will do the same..

DeletedUser

The west has lots of different versions for lots of languages, I hear more are opening soon. The people who are not that great at English would be able to play their own language no problem! :)

Then, the people hired would be able to understand the language.

To make the moderators have to know 50 languages is not fair - I'd not be able to do it! :D

I can speak english and danish.

and I understand Norwegian and swedish. (and some German)

I offer myself as a mod ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.