Rework the dueling system

[report=106052941c92c8a50d3]Duel: Wotnot Earp vs. Rusty Sixguns[/report]

This is just stupid, that someone 40+ levels higher can duel players a lot lower than them... Dueling should be optional just like EVERY other aspect of this game, and you should have a choice on whether or not you want to participate... so let's give people the option to opt out, or at least fix dueling so you have to be much closer in level and dueling levels...

Syntex

The West Team
Community Manager
Hey Rusty Sixguns,

Unfortunately we are unable to see the report on the forum, it works only in-game.

Dueling is part of the game, as it is a western-style roleplay browser game. Not everyone can duel everyone, but it depends on your and your opponents duel level, we have tried to make the range fair for everyone. You may put a bounty on the player, so others will duel them also. If you want to avoid get duelled you can leave your town for that period, if you do not have a bounty on you and you are not part of any town, you cannot be dulled. You can find more out on our wiki.

Poker Alice

a western-style roleplay browser game.

This is question for @Syntex or anyone who might understand what the following numbers mean. I am lying on my bed in the hotel room presently without any clothes on. It is "not part of any town, you cannot be dueled" by the way not "you cannot be dulled." Hope that is not too much information. I'm in a town in Kansas named bible belt orphanage and my character is a worker nun crafting leather into saddles.

My level currently is 111 and I've lost to dueling 82 times except for one time, I think the man must have been drunk. I've been rated with 1 win creating a difference of -81 and my current duel experience level rating is 152. Why?

Now the last time someone robbed me, mother superior suggested I say two our fathers in church that morning. The dulling report said the bad man (real name not given) gained 995 experience and I lost 71 duel experience.

Since I never bothered to look into these stats I am wondering if duel experience is the same as duel level and if it could be allowed to go so low the chance of being dueled by professional killers and thieves might be reduced? I'll say a prayer today for all those led astray by the devil.

Last edited:

Poker Alice

When someone duels someone and wins, their level goes up. They then will find themselves dueling higher levels duelers. - true or false?
When someone is dueled consistently and they always loose shouldn't their level go down so there is less chance of being dueled by high level duelers?

My 81 lost duels should provide me with a very low level unless it resets? That was the question.

Last edited:
Hey Rusty Sixguns,

Unfortunately we are unable to see the report on the forum, it works only in-game.

Dueling is part of the game, as it is a western-style roleplay browser game. Not everyone can duel everyone, but it depends on your and your opponents duel level, we have tried to make the range fair for everyone. You may put a bounty on the player, so others will duel them also. If you want to avoid get duelled you can leave your town for that period, if you do not have a bounty on you and you are not part of any town, you cannot be dulled. You can find more out on our wiki.
Well, let me tell you the report then... he was 40 levels (47 dueling levels) higher than me, and had on complete (and upgraded) Vaquero set... I was in my fishing gear working on quests..

Everyone says just leave town, or keep yourself on KO... Well, why should people that like dueling, and want to duel, be the only people in the game that get enjoyment? How bout making a way around dueling so EVERYONE can enjoy the aspects of the game they like... Dueling is the ONLY aspect of this game where both parties aren't given the choice on whether or not they would like to participate... the game should be fair for ALL players, without discriminating...

Prljavi Hari

When someone duels someone and wins, their level goes up. They then will find themselves dueling higher levels duelers. - true or false?
When someone is dueled consistently and they always loose shouldn't their level go down so there is less chance of being dueled by high level duelers?

True, but it's not that black & white - it all depends on who you're dueling & what their dueling level is, as well as what your duel motivation is.

Let's look at an example - if you're a 150/150 player & you duel someone whose dueling level is 110 (lowest you can go is 107), you get 25 duel exp per each win at 100% motivation. If you duel someone whose dueling level is 210 (highest you can go is 210), you get 725 duel exp per each win at 100% motivation. Your dueling level will rise much slower in the first instance compared to the second example. Similar thing with losses - in the first case, if you lose, you lose 8 duel exp while in the second you'll lose 242. If motivation drops, so do the exp gains & losses, which determine how your dueling level rises & lowers.

Poker Alice

Thank you @Prljavi Hari that did help as I am now just trying to figure out what these numbers mean and if there is a way to give some non-duelers a break?

So if I have this correct there is more advantage dueling higher levels than lower ones. Well that's good news.

I'm looking now at the best dueler in Kansas at level 126 and dueling level 205. That player has 1509 duels on their belt giving them 25,3683 points

Their total overall experience is 224,6320 and I'll assume the 25,3683 dueling points they gained was added to that total?

Now for the person being dueled I'm assuming will loose their overall experience points they worked for to the dueler as well as their money.

The winner of the duel also increases their duel level (126/205) but the person being dueled stays unchanged in dueling level 111/111. It would be better for the challenged player on loosing the duel if the dueling level went down making them even less attractive but it doesn't. Ouch for the non-dueler. It's like taxes, you work and work and pay and pay.

Victor Kruger

Well, let me tell you the report then... he was 40 levels (47 dueling levels) higher than me, and had on complete (and upgraded) Vaquero set... I was in my fishing gear working on quests..

Everyone says just leave town, or keep yourself on KO... Well, why should people that like dueling, and want to duel, be the only people in the game that get enjoyment? How bout making a way around dueling so EVERYONE can enjoy the aspects of the game they like... Dueling is the ONLY aspect of this game where both parties aren't given the choice on whether or not they would like to participate... the game should be fair for ALL players, without discriminating...

Yea dueling lvl system sux but then its The West which is built around combat skills and conflict not a farming game.

Its never been about fair, not supposed to be fair thank goodness and anyone can reskill at any time. I have never seen a worker who reskilled to duel or FF ( and most have done so at least once by lvl 150 ) moan about being able to do so when it suits them, only when it dosnt.

PS any oldies here remember the limits before the DL system ? 20 lvls or so difference max or something like it ?

Last edited:

Poker Alice

Yea dueling lvl system sux but then its The West which is built around combat skills and conflict not a farming game.

Its never been about fair, not supposed to be fair thank goodness and anyone can reskill at any time. I have never seen a worker who reskilled to duel or FF ( and most have done so at least once by lvl 150 ) moan about being able to do so when it suits them, only when it dosnt.

PS any oldies here remember the limits before the DL system ? 20 lvls or so difference max or something like it ?
What if dueling level was so low 150/4 that buying a better gun for a fight wouldn't get them much? They would need to decide to change their habits completely from farming to dueling. To make dueling pay they would need to raise their dueling level. That would be their choice and not a requirement.

from a role playing viewpoint dueling workers versus other more dangerous characters is more like...

"say did you hear, the Gringo that rode into town and shot Pancho, man, well that's another notch on his gun!"

versus

"hay did you hear about the Gringo, he shot a old lady in a wheel chair that was crossing the street!":lol:

DeletedUser15368

from a role playing viewpoint dueling workers versus other more dangerous characters is more like...
"oh no a bandit on the road!"

"gimme 1/3rd of your money"

"okay now, we don't want any troub-*whips out gun and shoots at bandit in self-defence*

SB.access

I would be happy if there's more severe punishment for Unfair Dueler. Issuing bounty would just cost the victim more. and we all know that bounty can be claimed by their own friend sadly.
But then again, if there's such punishment, somebody can play a victim, go naked and duel innocent people to get KOed. lol a chaos

Meh, wish we can still get duel protection from a Job KO. those were the peaceful days.

Victor Kruger

I would be happy if there's more severe punishment for Unfair Dueler. Issuing bounty would just cost the victim more. and we all know that bounty can be claimed by their own friend sadly.
But then again, if there's such punishment, somebody can play a victim, go naked and duel innocent people to get KOed. lol a chaos

Meh, wish we can still get duel protection from a Job KO. those were the peaceful days.

You can get 72 hrs DP by self koing on someone which is far easier to control than a job ko ever was ;)

DeletedUser15368

I would be happy if there's more severe punishment for Unfair Dueler. Issuing bounty would just cost the victim more.
What about an automatic bounty placed on the attacker for dishonorable duels, similar to the bounty added for doing certain Christmas activities too early?

Since that mechanic was added but hasn't found and meaning within duelling yet.

SB.access

You can get 72 hrs DP by self koing on someone which is far easier to control than a job ko ever was ;)
Yea I've been doing this since it's the only way right now. but from my view:
Job KO = Bank my cash -> 95%+ danger jobs (by going naked) -> need at least 3-6 energy depending your hp percentage -> done in a minute or so and can continue regen/refill after the KO.
Duel KO = Bank my cash -> find someone in duel menu that has enough aiming and shooting/vigor so it's a sure KO -> travel there (non-dueller class)/ travel to nearby place to get the target in duel range -> go naked -> initiate duel -> need 12 energy -> wait 10 mins -> continue regen/refill after a KO.
:-D
oh, but I forgot. how many DP hours did we get from a Job KO in the past version?

What about an automatic bounty placed on the attacker for dishonorable duels, similar to the bounty added for doing certain Christmas activities too early?

Since that mechanic was added but hasn't found and meaning within duelling yet.
This would be a very good system if it's applied and of course with an exploit-prevention measures. Can be a good new source of income for our town Sheriff.
The topic about honorable/dishonorable duel in the west has been discussed many years ago. I remember reading some forum about this particular topic. Where the result was what we see in town mortician. And it hasn't been changed.

And with Self-KO being a thing in the-west, dishonorable duel would be a heck to calculate by the system. lol
We can't really have a real sheriff going through each reports and judge whether it's honorable or dishonorable duel, can we. :lol:

Victor Kruger

Yea forgive my ignorance but what exactly constitutes a dishonourable duel ? with your suggestion, especially for workers just quest dueling it would be nice to know one would be inviting a bounty etc...maybe some indication the duel would incur said bounty or a simple green/red dot on a profile or something to indicate if t would be an Honorable duel or not ? Not that I think most who duel give a fig about any automatic bounty but probably workers quest dueling might.

Or better still dump the stupid thing altogether as no one who duels cares one jot anyway...

Heres what would deter me....... a warning pop X would be a dishonourable duel and the penalty would be having to take part in an adventure before being able to duel again.. :indian:

oh, but I forgot. how many DP hours did we get from a Job KO in the past version?

Any ko was 48 cool off with no options I think.

WhyN0t

It has no real use, especially when everybody has low duel level and you cannot duel anyone because your lvl is too high.

Poker Alice

It has no real use, especially when everybody has low duel level and you cannot duel anyone because your lvl is too high.
I'm not sure if you are discussing something unrelated or not. By the way I don't know if a diminishing duel level is a good idea or even doable or not. Just throwing stuff out there.
I don't get what you mean. Isn't that the whole idea of dueling levels? Anyone with approx. the same dueling level can be dueled? Only those that consistently loose at duels would be too low if dueling levels were allowed to drop. Those that do win at duels would compete with each other?

Harriet Oleson

The duel level can already drop, but it can't be inferior to our character level.
It's a way to prevent situations like this : if a player at high character level could let his duel level drop too much, he could be able to duel players with very low duel level (and among those : also players with very low character level, knowing low character level players all start with low duel level).