Reverse the effect of duel motivation

Snr Sarg

Thanks for explaining yourself better, I wasn't suggesting you have been spam dueling at all - I have a couple of worlds where my duel level got too high so I totally understand your problems, although I moved mine to zero mot some time back so the problem has lessened.

There is a solution to for increasing your 'bloodthirst' fast - duel 'bloodthirst' buffs, exactly the same as current duel mot buffs.

I have to contend the point that it's not a solution though - you say your problem is 'few targets scattered around the map'? I agree, this was my problem for a while too, until I slowed my duel XP right down, but my idea is exactly a solution - the idea is to ensure that duel motivation works the way Inno presumably intended it to. All the players right now that duel with zero mot, due it because they love to duel, and little else - by reversing duel mot, their duel level will rise quickly enough to be in your range in a matter of weeks.

Isn't that what you want? More targets, less riding a horse??? Which is more fun?

Want to make them catch you faster? Do something else other than dueling for a couple of weeks, exactly like you do now when on 48 hour KO protection.

My motivation for the idea was to lessen the frequency of zero mot duelers hitting in workers and questers - if those players carry on 'spam' dueling as they do now, they will soon rise out of range of those players, and into yours, and other duelers', duel ranges. The only way a zero motivation dueler can then stop their duel level going up will be to stop dueling - would we not agree that this was probably Inno's intention for dueling level, that frequent duelers would be grouped together, away from non-duelers?

Solves two problems in one:

1. XP duelers get more targets
2. Questers and workers get more peace

DeletedUser30224

What am I doing here at 1:36 AM I have no clue :D If duellers get duel experience only if they duel, indeed they will get out of non-duellers' range. So that solves that, but casual duelers will be able to duel at least one person per day with 0 duel exp gained (provided that your duel thirst drops down each 24h). Still doesn't help me directly as I need to wait for duellers to come in my range and forces me to either duel often or use duel motivation buffs to gain duel exp. But then my duel exp got me in this situation in the first place so I'm running circles. I suppose your idea does more good than harm. However I still would like to see free duelling not restricted by any gimmicks whatsoever :(

Snr Sarg

However I still would like to see free duelling not restricted by any gimmicks whatsoever :(

Now we're getting somewhere - yes I agree, I'd like to see it re-worked a lot, maybe not totally unlimited however, no point in letting a level 120 duel a level 10 greenhorn.

My brainfart is merely meant as a stop-gap until that day arrives. I'm no coder, but would have thought simply reversing motivation would be relatively simple and would fill in a gap while Inno work out how to improve things further.

Regarding duel XP dropping back down each day - I wouldn't want to see it back to zero every 24 hours no, just a gradual reduction of say 2% per hour, thus it would take about 4 days of no dueling to drop down to zero from 100.

Last edited:

DeletedUser34315

Now we're getting somewhere - yes I agree, I'd like to see it re-worked a lot, maybe not totally unlimited however, no point in letting a level 120 duel a level 10 greenhorn.

My brainfart is merely meant as a stop-gap until that day arrives. I'm no coder, but would have thought simply reversing motivation would be relatively simple and would fill in a gap while Inno work out how to improve things further.

Regarding duel XP dropping back down each day - I wouldn't want to see it back to zero every 24 hours no, just a gradual reduction of say 2% per hour, thus it would take about 4 days of no dueling to drop down to zero from 100.

Sarg- i don't think you hear what zd3no and i are saying. (Thank you though, zd, for articulating that much better than i did )

In 2 years this might work well. We'd have targets.

For 2 years, we are going to gain ~50 exp. per duel because our bloodlust will be really low since we can do so few duels per day.
That's really not a great route- you will kill every single exp. dueler off, and they will reskill.

Snr Sarg

I do understand your concerns GG, but I disagree with th length of time it would take, a full motivation dueler, dueling 12-15 times a day, will gain XP very quickly, advancing to your kind of duel level in weeks not years.

The only way a dueler could avoid this is by not dueling, but then what would be the point for that player, specced to duel, what else are they going to do?

DeletedUser34767

In 2 years this might work well. We'd have targets.

And under the current system you will have all these extra targets when?

For 2 years, we are going to gain ~50 exp. per duel because our bloodlust will be really low since we can do so few duels per day.

Well, if motivation is reversed, it should also be reversed for the NPC duels as well. Experience duelers could use the NPCs to keep their bloodlust high under the new system just like the zero mot crowd uses NPC duels to keep their motivation artificially lower under the current system.

Also, as was discussed a bit in previous posts, having duel motivation reset at a slower rate would help ( -25% to -33% would be good in my mind ).

Unfortunately, the current system is so bad that some players like myself just completely opt out of dueling ( tried just about everything across several worlds before picking a build to stick with ). I think the idea would allow some players to consider occasional dueling for bonds or revenge, if the penalties in duel level were not so great. The more people who are involved in dueling in some way, the more accepting the community might be for other changes. Right now there is not a whole lot of middle ground between those who enjoy dueling and those who don't.

DeletedUser

Even simpler solutions:

1. Make the map smaller again - Most of the map is in reality, empty space. Make it 30 minutes to walk from one end to the other. And heck, keep all the forts, even if it means as many as 6 in one sector (this way FF'ers will be happy too). I mean, is there really actually any gameplay value in walking around the map?!?

2. Utterly remove dueling level as a limiter. Keep the level so that it correctly represents the hierarchy of best duerles, but remove it as the factor which determines who you can duel. Jeez, how many posts and ideas have we had extolling the virtues of removing it... What you replace it with, lots of opinions, but why not just simple try real level +/- 5 until you get to 120? If it gets abused, turn it off and fix it...

Snr Sarg

Even simpler solutions:

1. Make the map smaller again - Most of the map is in reality, empty space. Make it 30 minutes to walk from one end to the other. And heck, keep all the forts, even if it means as many as 6 in one sector (this way FF'ers will be happy too). I mean, is there really actually any gameplay value in walking around the map?!?

2. Utterly remove dueling level as a limiter. Keep the level so that it correctly represents the hierarchy of best duerles, but remove it as the factor which determines who you can duel. Jeez, how many posts and ideas have we had extolling the virtues of removing it... What you replace it with, lots of opinions, but why not just simple try real level +/- 5 until you get to 120? If it gets abused, turn it off and fix it...

Can't argue with that :up:

First point I especially like, the extra speed on Beta worlds make the game a lot more fun

DeletedUser

no from me, this solves absolutely nothing when it comes to duelers, this actually builds one concentration camp for all duelers to die in.

For me (more or less) free PvP system is what i like in this game, everyone here insist on destroying that so they may play their version of Sims in the old west.

DeletedUser34315

Even simpler solutions:

This would be, by far, the easiest and most effective solution.

DeletedUser30224

This thread did not receive enough positive replies to qualify for a vote. Please let me know if you insist on polling it anyway.

DeletedUser16628

Was hoping for a fix soon.I really don't duel on Dakota anymore because I have the same 5-10 targets @ level 106.After I spend 100 nuggets or more chasing the few targets across the map most run and hide/sleep it's become a lack of dueling frustration.