Reusing old Event Sets

vampyr

Hello,

I would like to present an idea that I am sure many players here would like. As we all know, every tombola event, multiple times a year we get a couple of new sets. That is usually one free set and three tombola sets. Two weeks after the event ends, the tombola sets become auctionable, yet the free sets never do, which in return, makes them forever unobtainable.

Now some people surely don't finish those free sets, either they think the event is bad and not worth it because the free set is objectively useless and other sets before it were better, or they start late in the event, or just don't have enough time to click enough to collect it in full.

Now what I would like to suggest is when an event starts, instead of giving us always a completely new Tombola set that is in most ways already a worse version of some other set, because we almost have sets for everything now that are very good for the thing they do, we get an opportunity to obtain an older set or if you already have it, upgrade that older set to +1 or +2 or any kind of upgrade really.

Not only would this remove the current power creep that this game experiences, it would mean The west team needs to create less new sets, make less people unhappy because of another bad event set, and it would give everyone the opportunity to get some sets that they previously couldn't.

This is a very beneficial idea for newers worlds. Those worlds missed out on many good sets that came and passed throughout the years this game has been going on for. I am sure many players would be thankful if they could for example get the "Clyde set" (just an example) which is a very good product drop set, and many others instead of some random set that is barely better than random shop pieces of clothing.

This also means that collectors from newer worlds now can also obtain these older sets that their world missed out on even if they are not good enough to use.

The main reason for this is, that before, we saw many great and useable free sets that we cannot get anymore. If you for example collected only one weapon, or 5 pieces of clothing , you are always stuck with those pieces of clothing that are just not worth using because you don't have a full set bonus. So you idly wait for another event where you hope you can obtain a usable set.

If the set has already appeared in the world, making the set upgradeable for those players that collect it again would also give them the incentive to just make that set a little bit better and maybe even use it more frequently.

TLDR; Make old free sets that are forever gone obtainable by introducing them again during same events or questlines. If you already collected the full set before, now you can also upgrade them.

Last edited:

Syntex

The West Team
Community Manager
Hey vampyr,

Thank you for your idea, sounds very cool! Our current reason behind these sets are to be exclusively receivable during that event, so that is a main reason why there is no other chance to obtain it, but your idea sounds very interesting and could give a new aspect for our game, therefore I will make sure to pass it on.

Just out of curiosity do you have any other idea of making them again obtainable besides the events? For example if we would introduce a chest which can be won, a questline or some other idea? I would love to hear your thoughts on this topic! :)

RaiderTr

Questlines that don't have "Full Sleep" "Limited hours of a Day" "Adventures played X times" etc could be great.
Also Forum contests, like American set was given once.

I believe this could be applied to some of the "Premium" items/Sets too. Similar to Lucille's Lasso.
For example once I had suggested J.Fry weapon(s) to be given via Quests.

Jordy

The West Team
Fort Balancing Strategist
Forum moderator
This would make a great forum contest! Have the community write a (historical) questline about a specific character like Martha J. Cannary or Thomas Edison. Upon completion of these questlines the Martha or Edison set is given out. Those 2 sets are examples of free sets that are no longer obtainable but still used by many players that do not have premium gear.

As a reward for the best Quest written you could give out a 'Classic Avatar' picture. :cooln:

Prljavi Hari

As a reward for the best Quest written you could give out a 'Classic Avatar' picture. :cooln:

Just a pet peeve of mine & I assume it's really insignificant to most people, but would be great if they could scale them properly like with the newer, custom avatars. Hate seeing that small bit of empty space around the classic avatars.

vampyr

I agree with others that other than events, it should most likely be a questline.

Facebook group or site contests for these would be terrible. Unfortunately in those someone always gets left out, and the sheer amount of fake profiles just leaves a sore taste in the mouth.

Also compared to the playerbase of .net, not many people participate in forum contests so I would surely not like to see it just given away on forums to few lucky people.

I like Jordy's idea of a historical questline very much. Other than that, I don't remember correctly if there is any but if a set is very good for adventures, I wouldn't mind for it to get put into the adventures shop. It would give people who play and don't play adventures something new to grind for.

Very old sets that by numbers are definitely not usable by todays standards could even appear on UP shop for bonds, this would also freshen up the very old and outdated sets in UP and in return even make more people do these clicky events like harvest since they are very nice for collecting them.

That also means if you want to help your townies, you can get them an overall weak set, but still good for starting that leaves a lot of room for upgrades during the next events.

Like Raider said too, this should not only be limited to clothes. Patriot weapons are a great exp set for new players and it really is a shame you can't get them any more, or even sell them to newer players. Having only a sword on one of the worlds I play on without a gun haunts me to this day.

Last edited:

SB.access

So, making those "bound" sets appear in UP shop, or questlines and become auctionable just like the other sets will solve the problem?
Then again, stat wise, we can get the bundle of a better old sets during Winter event every year, which is already tradable. (If the aim is to help newer players)

Though, as long as there is a policy of "exclusive set to an event of certain year", we won't see those free sets appear again i guess. :hmf:
and Idk about others, but for me exclusive free set makes me kinda special for being available in that certain event, and cherish some memories.

Otherwise, yep give me my Washington Saddle I missed to collect! :-D

or how about this:
Aside from 120 points you need to get the new free set item, you can collect more points extra to get the parts you missed in the same event of the past years. Idk maybe 5 point per part? but that would be different to each player which is meh, so just a wild option there, forget it :'P

Allinor

I like the idea. I think players would be happy to get sets they've missed or did not finish.

I would like to have an option to use those sets, but it would take a lot of balancing. I am not sure how beneficial that would be. Perhaps someone has better idea.
I would prefer to have quest lines for the sets which are not auctionable. It would make things more interesting. But making "story" of the quests would require a lot of creativity :D So... It's just an idea.

Honestly, I don't like the fact, we get new sets every event. I am not motivated to upgrade new sets, because there is still a possibility we will get better sets later the same year and my upgraded set would be outdated. Waste of money, basically.

I hope vampyr's idea will get more attention :)