• No I would not!

Votes: 11 12.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diggo11

Wait I'm confused now...

So upgrading the Research Building makes research cheaper or allows for more research levels?

Diggo11

Wait I'm confused now...

So upgrading the Research Building makes research cheaper or allows for more research levels?

DeletedUser

Good idea. Sometimes the game lack in town interaction. This way players would be less (or more) inclined to switch towns all the time.

DeletedUser

More things to research

I really like the idea of research.

What about this idea or something like it for an additional area of reasearch:

Craftsman :
Level 1 : opens tailor level 11
Level 2 :eek:pens gunsmith 16 and tailor 12
Level 3 :eek:pens tailor 12
Level 4 :eek:pens gunsmith 17 and tailor 13
Level 5 :eek:pens tailor 14

(would require the developers to provide new items appropriate to these levels)

Diggo11

Nice idea, not sure if it's to unbalanced but if it's not I'd go for it.

Anyway I'd personally split it up like so:

Tailoring Research:
Level 1: Allows Tailor to be constructed to Level 11
Level 2: Allows Tailor to be constructed to Level 12
Level 3: Allows Tailor to be constructed to Level 13
Level 4: Allows Tailor to be constructed to Level 14
Level 5: Allows Tailor to be constructed to Level 15

Crafting Research:
Level 1: Allows General Store to be constructed to Level 11
Level 2: Allows General Store to be constructed to Level 12
Level 3: Allows General Store to be constructed to Level 13
Level 4: Allows General Store to be constructed to Level 14
Level 5: Allows General Store to be constructed to Level 15

And since Gunsmith already goes to Level 15 everything works out nicely.

DeletedUser

Great idea.

If you can research a hidden job or item that will be great.

Example:
Researching a hidden job and finding a Gold Mine that will be accessible to all the players from the town no exception for one time only and for a limited time for 12-48 hours.
Every time you find a hidden job you can only work once.

Researching a hidden item and finding a horse or a necklace in one of the stores or somewhere for sale of course this also for all players no exception for a limited time.

DeletedUser

I still can't decide if I like the idea or not. Alright, I do like it and I love the researching/tech aspect in other games, but I just don't know if it fits this game or its theme. The only research that was probably really being done in the Western U.S. at any point in the 19th century almost certainly only involved mining and agriculture. Doing research at the town level and having it only benefit that particular town just doesn't seem realistic enough.

Like I said, I do like the concept, but I just can't get past the thematic and realism problems.

DeletedUser1105

But you have yourself proposed an idea against the limiting of what a person can carry?

Backpack limits would be more realistic, but not better. Sometimes, you have to lose a little realism to gain better gameplay.

DeletedUser

But you have yourself proposed an idea against the limiting of what a person can carry?

Backpack limits would be more realistic, but not better. Sometimes, you have to lose a little realism to gain better gameplay.

Not the same. Every single game faces the question of limiting inventory or not. During my AD&D days when I was a kid, the rules included encumbrance limits, but almost no one actually followed them. Some video games completely ignore them, some allow a limited number of slots, some allow a limited amount of weight, some take weight into account. They cover every single genre. This idea doesn't really fit the genre IMO.

Like I said, I like it, I'm not going to actively oppose it (like I have the hotel delay idea), and I probably would get into it if it were implemented, but I just don't think it fits the game. A lot of people love vampires, but they don't fit the game either.

Diggo11

Sorry Elmyr but I disagree.

Firstly the West was a wild place with very primitive technologies. Just like British colonies were less advanced in technology than the British, the West was less advanced then the East. Research would be like introducing these new technologies from the East. You could also take into consideration the industrial revolution. During this time many new technologies that were previously impossible were being created, so research could also be likened to undergoing industrialisation.

So although "research" may be stereotyped as modern day scientists in a lab, the concept of creating new technologies is not. It requires a little imagination, but there are some facts there to support it.

DeletedUser

Sorry Elmyr but I disagree.

Firstly the West was a wild place with very primitive technologies. Just like British colonies were less advanced in technology than the British, the West was less advanced then the East. Research would be like introducing these new technologies from the East. You could also take into consideration the industrial revolution. During this time many new technologies that were previously impossible were being created, so research could also be likened to undergoing industrialisation.

So although "research" may be stereotyped as modern day scientists in a lab, the concept of creating new technologies is not. It requires a little imagination, but there are some facts there to support it.

Like I said, there was research in the West regarding agriculture and mining technologies, but the vast majority of innovation came from the East. Scientists weren't sitting in a think tank in Dodge City studying military tactics so they could learn how to help its duelers fight better. Push for the idea, fine. Tell me you consider it an improvement to the game, fine. Tell me that it will add more depth to the game, fine. But if you try to tell me this is realistic, you are WRONG WRONG WRONG.

DeletedUser

Scientists weren't sitting in a think tank in Dodge City studying military tactics so they could learn how to help its duelers fight better .

If the information I have is correct, the Forts will offer similar bonuses so I don't think realsim comes in to it.

DeletedUser

And if they were studying tactics, certainly Wyatt Earp would still benefit from what he learned in Dodge when he relocated to Tombstone and not just forget it all.

Again, I'm not saying I don't like it, and I won't argue against it unless someone else insists that it's realistic.

DeletedUser

Many aspects of this game flaunt realism or at least stretch the imagination.
I love this idea, I particularly appreciate the concept of giving towns some individuality.
I also feel this proposal would soften the blow to small towns that I suspect forts is going to bring.
Good work.

DeletedUser

Many aspects of this game flaunt realism or at least stretch the imagination.
I love this idea, I particularly appreciate the concept of giving towns some individuality.
I also feel this proposal would soften the blow to small towns that I suspect forts is going to bring.
Good work.

Qft.

Status
Not open for further replies.