Reflex or Dodging?

DeletedUser

It's an interesting question.. I think you can expect most duellists to be making a living off shooting or vigor and have that stat far more pumped than aim. And a shot missing entirely is a good thing. That said we really need a lot more information on the mechanics to be able to calculate the best investment.

DeletedUser

does anybody know this - how can someone hit you in a head when you duck down (but he doesn't do much damage),is it because he's got very high aim,or because you have low dodging or is it matter of other skills?

DeletedUser

does anybody know this - how can someone hit you in a head when you duck down (but he doesn't do much damage),is it because he's got very high aim,or because you have low dodging or is it matter of other skills?
It can be a couple of things:
Either a) His aim is much higher than your dodge.
Or b) He was very lucky.

There is always some chance to hit.

DeletedUser

Or c) his appearance is much higher than your tactics.

Just picking the right choice doesn't guarantee you'll dodge successfully.

DeletedUser

Reflex= defense against guns Dodging= defense against meele. So id be even 50-50 ;)

DeletedUser

Reflex= defense against guns Dodging= defense against meele. So id be even 50-50 ;)

Reflex and toughness don't prevent you from being hit, they reduce damage. Dodging is completely unrelated.

Shooting vs. reflex + 50% toughness
Melee vs. toughness + 50% reflex

DeletedUser

Or c) his appearance is much higher than your tactics.

Just picking the right choice doesn't guarantee you'll dodge successfully.
If his Appearance is high it reduces your chance to hit him, it does not increase his chance to hit you.
tactic.png
appearance.png
Either the attack value of the attacker or the attack value of the defender is lowered. With the skill 'tactics' the defender is able to use his home advantage. He chooses the side on which he stands and uses the knowledge of the town. The attacker uses his appearance to intimidate the defender. If the tactic skill of the defender is higher than the appearance skill of the attacker, the attackers attack value goes down. If it is lower, the attack value of the defender goes down. The bigger the difference between the skills, the more the attack value is lowered.

DeletedUser

If his Appearance is high it reduces your chance to hit him, it does not increase his chance to hit you.

If the attacker's appearance is higher than the defender's tactics, the defender's chance to hit is lowered. If the defender's tactics is higher, the challenger's chance to hit is lowered. I said "his appearance" because I assumed the poster was the defender.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Your initial post implied that Appearance could work to help you hit even if your aim was low. The help clearly shows that is not the case.

DeletedUser

I didn't say anything about aim at all.

And I wouldn't say it "clearly shows that is not the case", since it says "attack value" and doesn't say aim anywhere.

DeletedUser

I guess you will be upset with me for quoting the help again, but I do think it's pretty clear:
The attack value is decided by your aiming skill.

The defense skill is decided by your dodging skill

With each shot the attack value of the attacker is compared to the defense value of the defender. For this a random value is taken between one and the attack value, and a random value between one and the defense value. If the attack value is higher, the attacker lands a hit and causes damage. Is the value lower, the shot doesn't hit it's target and no damage is done. Now it's time for the current defender to attack.

So, my point is, appearance alone cannot help you hit your opponent in a duel, it can only prevent their tactics from making you miss (as well as reducing their chance to hit you).

DeletedUser

I think someone should clarify the help about dueling.

It's kind of confusing...

DeletedUser

Once again, it does play a role, and it could make the difference.

DeletedUser

I think it depends on how many ppl who duels often have high shooting, or is a melee fighter in your world. To me I'll go with dodge.