Red Dawn Remake

DeletedUser14029

Just read the news on Hong Kong Yahoo, content includes some Americans planning to remake the purely hate-mongering movie 'Red Dawn', changing the 'bad guys' to the PLA, and pretty much calling upon all Americans to 'kill the Chinese Invaders'. Also, the 'Eight-One' (meaning August 1st, the symbol of PLA) figure was to be on a flag similar to the Nazi's. and then somehow the Americans were bravely 'Protecting the innocents on Taiwan and then Chinese&Russian forces captured the whole of America', I am 100% sure the ending will include some crappy storyline on how the Highschool folks fight off the PLA with Sniper Rifles. Brilliant. Talk about abusing Freedom of Speech

I would like to know what you guys think. Personally as a Chinese I am shaking with anger. Of all patriotic movies, THIS, RACIST, FILM :mad:

DeletedUser

Doesn't sound like a racist film, sounds like a political film, based on the potentiality of war/invasion. The original Red Dawn was rife with racist stereotyping, no doubt, but there was plenty of good acting and the death of the kids was heart wrenching. If they can do a remake of this movie, with different adversaries, then let it be done with class.

As to your being Chinese, that's irrelevant here. If you are for the communist regime of China, then I'm going to say I don't agree with your position, especially considering the multitude of crimes against humanity perpetrated by China's standing government.

As to the specifics of this movie remake, I found this particular article very insightful, and I recommend you read it Pro100 --- http://www.atimes.com/atimes/China/LA08Ad01.html

DeletedUser11019

its holliwood, so im certain they will change a great many things in the movie
to beef it up and spice up the story in true glitter town style.

but yes it does not take away the sting of things, maybe after we see it or when the critics hit the papers will we know.
im certain that it has been reviewed and screened.
who knows they may have some very good twist in them, and this may all be a shock tactic to stir up the crowds to get active and...go buy the movie.

china does have a rather large portion of the pie to be missing out on with the movie theatres.
(ps next time you see hellstromme yell, TONEEEEE!(s******)

about hellstrommes comment.
wow O.0

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser14029

Hellstormm, I believe you're an American, and forgive me if I am mistaken - but I will be quite surprised if you don't feel mad if some countries - NOT China, we have the decency not to - make movies of American soldiers conducting all sorts of outrageous war crimes in some remote countries and the like, even IF all untrue. I don't know about the Russians, but I don't really think they think its funny when Westwood and later EA portrayed the Soviets as war-mongers in Red Alert 1, 2 & 3.

The question whether I am FOR or AGAINST the communist regime in China is irrelevant. I can dislike the party and love the country itself. Besides, not ALL Communist China Officials are bad. We're climbing up the stairs >.<

But don't you think its a bit too much to be demonizing Chinese? Afterall we are not the ones waging wars repeatedly ever since WWII..

DeletedUser

No, I would not be offended if a movie came out portraying American soldiers committing war crimes. In fact, there are quite a few: Casualties of War, Apocalypse Now, and Platoon are some prominent examples and eventually they'll come out with movies about the crimes committed in Iraq and Guantanamo Bay.

Pro100, war is never going to be pretty. Crimes are committed by all sides, the atrocities immensely grotesque. It is not even remotely reasonable to think that any military unit will perform honorably, or that their actions will be flag-waving. That's the propaganda talking, not the reality. The reality is that lives are taken and brutalities committed. The PLA has a long history of committing atrocities and the PRC is not clean in its authority. From the so-called War of Liberation, to the invasion and subsequent oppression of Tibet (Oh, excuse me, "peaceful liberation" of Tibet, as PRC calls it, that resulted in 1 million dead "after" the invasion), to the Tiananmen Square massacre (PRC's innocuous sounding, "June Fourth Incident"), to the ongoing mobile execution chambers (death penalty organ removal buses), China definitely has a lot to answer for and their history presents ample material for a movie such as a new Red Dawn.

Here, have a picture of PLA soldiers firing live ammo into a crowd of unarmed students:

mascr0151.gif

mkay, thnks

(and yes, I spared everyone the pictures of PLA tanks rolling over people, literally turning their bodies into unrecognizable red trackmarks).

DeletedUser11019

its a movie, of
Alternate history

so what ever hell said is kinda "questionable"
and in fact added salt to open wounds.

and the whole point to the thread or question.

so.
never saw the movie and now that the plot has been spoiled,
its about some high school kids going up against the world as the world gets invaded in world war 3.
right, like some old trashy 80's movie.

cool.

but i can see why it is subjective and a bit offensive and actually very offensive.
so im certain they will leave out all the political crap and make it into some new age global take over movie .

im pretty certain they will leave out the soldiers looking at the camera man there.
and thats the blue tour bus btw.

DeletedUser

Hellstormm, I believe you're an American, and forgive me if I am mistaken - but I will be quite surprised if you don't feel mad if some countries - NOT China, we have the decency not to - make movies of American soldiers conducting all sorts of outrageous war crimes in some remote countries and the like, even IF all untrue. I don't know about the Russians, but I don't really think they think its funny when Westwood and later EA portrayed the Soviets as war-mongers in Red Alert 1, 2 & 3.

The question whether I am FOR or AGAINST the communist regime in China is irrelevant. I can dislike the party and love the country itself. Besides, not ALL Communist China Officials are bad. We're climbing up the stairs >.<

But don't you think its a bit too much to be demonizing Chinese? Afterall we are not the ones waging wars repeatedly ever since WWII..
Whoa! People in glass houses.....
Since WWII China has been involved in aggressive wars in or with the USSR, India, Tibet, Vietnam and Korea. That's most of the neighbours. Plus a civil war that it won't let go. Not a great record, really.

DeletedUser14029

Typical Western education.
For starters: USSR wanted a piece of land from us. We beat them off three times, all three with ambushes. I don't see why we can say we start wars because we're merely defending ourselves.
India: Try reading wikipedia. Even the story on there claims the Indians can't fight well coz they know the piece of land wasn't really rightfully theirs. I understand why westerners attempt to discriminate against China at all available channels.
Tibet: . . . this land has been ours, and will remain so, besides we freed them from the landlords. I don't get why westerners are always screaming '"free" Tibet' merely because you got some monk that is willing to sell out China.
Vietnam: Let's just say, after defeating the Americans, the Vietnamese grew too confident and claimed to be the 'Third Strongest Military Power'. Holding resources from USSR, China and equipment looted from the Americans, I can't blame them so, after also kicking Americans in the butt. They wanted to get their hands on two China provinces, and so we retaliated. We blew up their capital then retreated back to China itself. Actually the Americans at that time supported us because we accomplished what they failed to do, and we also disgraced the Soviets, proving their 'Soviet-Vietnam Friendship Agreement' was merely a piece of empty-paper.

Korea: Any normal country would have joined this in China's shoes. Let's see. Anti-communist US forces, in the name of UN, busts the NK offensive (Yes, they started the conflict first, I am not a crazy-neglect-history-leftist), advances through the 38th parallel and guess who's closest to it? CHINA. And of course, there are stories of China wanting to gain favour of the Soviets, and henceforth the participation, but it was mainly for national security. Its of course a great tragedy, probably based on some misunderstandings (HIGHLY unlikely) on China's intervention, but it did what it can.

And to the June 4th Story, Yes, PLA fired live ammo. For the sake of keeping the regime? Yes. But that was for social stability. Painfully so. But we DID NOT, in the name of MAO, roll tanks over humans or use poisonous gas. Truth is, the story isn't all clear to us. I can assure you the protesters who escaped, happily immigrating to some other countries as heroes, Australia, the overseas students, by declaring 'how sorry they are for their motherland then proceeds to tear their passports' - aren't telling the truth either.

and heck: Red Dawn, for once, is not even true. We would never dream of busting the US, because they're our market >.< a load of nonsense, a proper movie for all those who are dying to see China fail, hmm

Regarding the Civil War:
Please, I beg you, read some Chinese History. the Nationalists had been the most corrupted forces on Earth and JJS, the 'great' leader, actually stole over 25% of the money given by the Americans during WW2 when the money was supposed to be for anti-Japanese efforts. YES, STOLE THE MONEY AGAINST THE INVASION. Starvation was common. and you CANNOT, in ANYWAY, argue that Communists DID NOT improve China's conditions. But of course the land reform paved the way to the impossible GLF ---> Cultural Revolution. I am here in Hong Kong, education system is different from Mainland's, and we're taught to love the country but also to recognise its wrong deeds. I ALSO understand my information might be inaccurate. Same goes for yours,

DeletedUser11019

no no no no,

the movie is about some high school kids who have there country invaded by a global space neo Nazi that look a cross of Chinese and Russian, coz they need loads of people seeing as they need more body count and china just so happens to have 3rd of the worlds population.
badge wearing flag waving space Nazi's.
paratroopers sky dive in there from far far away, they are not significant or allied with any other to any real army,,,coz they made it up.
they just look like it, to give an extra added boost o fear factor,
space Nazi's vs wolverines.

read the wiki,
and guess what those high school kids take em all on, the entire invading force, and they kill em all, yeah
sounds like a real good movie and maybe worth while,
they even provide a tour bus.

DeletedUser10480

Are you people crazy or have I just woken up on a strange planet today? How the hell is the original Red Dawn movie racist?

Geez.....If I woke up in a strange planet I want off!