Question about game rule #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

The rule doesn't forbid you retaliating on behalf of your friend - it forbids you from both retaliating.

DeletedUser

The rule doesn't forbid you retaliating on behalf of your friend - it forbids you from both retaliating.

actually, Elmyr said opposite above.

that's why i'm asking for clarification. i'm sure community is interested also.

DeletedUser

I'll ask Gem to post. I've always been under the impression that retaliating when someone on a shared connecting is hit is a violation.

DeletedUser

ok what about my case?
I dont duel often so i havn't had such problems but i plan to start soon.
I go to a school that has a few computer labs with seperate computers connected to a major server. I know for a fact that one or two other people also use those labs for playing the west. So does this count as sharing an ip then?

And what about using the library where we basicaly have a ton of monitors connected to a major server. Would this be considerd as sharing an ip?

DeletedUser

ok what about my case?
I dont duel often so i havn't had such problems but i plan to start soon.
I go to a school that has a few computer labs with seperate computers connected to a major server. I know for a fact that one or two other people also use those labs for playing the west. So does this count as sharing an ip then?

And what about using the library where we basicaly have a ton of monitors connected to a major server. Would this be considerd as sharing an ip?

A shared connection is a shared connection. It doesn't matter how many people share it.

And re your sig, pfft, I did that 5 months ago: http://forum.the-west.net/showpost.php?p=248970&postcount=299

DeletedUser

A shared connection is a shared connection. It doesn't matter how many people share it.

well can the in game mods tell us ....who are the player who have shared the same internet connection as we have..so tat we donot duel tat player...also can caution other.....

i mean if i go to cyber cafe..i wont know who is also on west who may have gone 3 hours before hand and i may accidently attack him...so will i know only after i get banned or if i ask the in game mods before hand they will tell me the names of players???

DeletedUser

I don't think you have to worry about internet cafes or public libraries much. The odds of anyone having played the game there and dueling the same person as you on the same world as you are utterly minuscule.

DeletedUser

ok, then i raise this question. I work in a company with about 500 persons. Some of them probably play the west, i don't know for sure as i won't just start asking each of them (including my boss) if they play at the office, which server, which world. And we all share the same internet connection.
Now, there is a probability that in my case i get a ban all the time? What am i supposed to do? Send a global mail to my coworkers and start having lists of who plays where and when? Have a good system that each of the players playing some world start sending duels so the others do not attack?
That's a bit way too much for me and i think it's not under the purpose of this rule.
But as the rule is written, i can get the ban.
So, any clarification on this matter?

To clarify my point, this rule makes me responsible of what other people do, in my case 500 coworkers. In my case i am asked that i keep track of all the other coworkers so i know at each time i want to duel: who dueled who in the last 24 hours, which world, and to assure that none of the others will not duel my targets in the next 24 hours. In my case, 500 coworkers means 500 potential players, and that means each of us must keep track of the other 499 potential players. Now this cannot be something that is humanly doable, we will all have no other occupation in the office but to negotiate duels, time intervals, to keep lists and so on. Really this is not something that innogames can ask from players.
Moreover, i am made responsible of the acts of another person which i might not even know. In my case, i might have a clear track of the 499, but for example the child of one of the other 499 coworkers visits his parent, logs in into his own account and duels, so we all 500 now risk to get a ban. There's nothing like this in the world of laws as i know of, a law that makes everybody responsible of others' acts.
Please do clarify this matter as what i read made me wonder if i can play this game safe or not.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Abide by the spirit of the rule. Do not co-ordinate duels with anyone who shares an IP with you.

If you end up getting a warning for breach of the rule then you're quite free to appeal to point out that it's sheer coincidence. I would doubt that you would receive a ban for a single coincidental duel anyway.

DeletedUser

Abide by the spirit of the rule. Do not co-ordinate duels with anyone who shares an IP with you.

If you end up getting a warning for breach of the rule then you're quite free to appeal to point out that it's sheer coincidence. I would doubt that you would receive a ban for a single coincidental duel anyway.

i don't think you do know each of the players you play with personally. I myself prefer not to say where i am from as that makes the attacks on me easier. It's something i am used to from the times i played tribalwars. So there's a chance that i might talk to a player that might be my best friend in rl and we don't know. The game issues are game issues, and real life is real life, i try not 2 mess them together. So if i am coordinating with a player and that one turns out to be my coworker, i am pretty dead right? So, i should start to verify the identities of the guys i work with ingame?
Especially when more towns are knocking out some town members, and i send a message to the duelists there telling them which player i hit? Must i know asl of those players as well? People that i help knocking down the targets just because they help?
If so, this makes the game play a real occupation.....

for a bit of understanding of my point: you and me we chat here and decide to attack a town. i don't know where you're from, and i don't care, same you don't care either about me. We attack but as it turns out we're coworkers. Then we are both banned for sharing internet connection? And if so, even unbanned, we will never be able to work together and we will have to always keep track of the other moves? This can't be serious...

DeletedUser

You are thinking way to hard about it man. just dont coordinate duels with someone that shares an ip with you and you will be fine.

DeletedUser

You are thinking way to hard about it man. just dont coordinate duels with someone that shares an ip with you and you will be fine.

ok, and if 500 people do share my ip at work, what is my duty? check each of them if he's playing west, which world he plays, when he plays and under which nickname? And start lists with them to avoid breaking this rule? tell me how can i check 500 people at work about this. This is the problem i am facing now, that i must verify things i shouldn't care about, like who is who.

DeletedUser

ok, then i raise this question. I work in a company with about 500 persons. Some of them probably play the west

It's extremely unlikely unless you told them about it. .net has about 236,000 players. Let's assume 500k total players of the game on on servers, which is a very liberal estimate, especially when you consider what percentage of them are inactive level 1s. Last I heard, about 1 billion people had internet access. 500,000 / 1,000,000,000 = 1/2000, so about 1 in every 2000 people play. Since your company has 500 people, you should pretty much be it.

If someone else does play, and you don't know it, what do you think the odds are of them dueling the same person in the same 24 hour period as you?

DeletedUser

ok, and if 500 people do share my ip at work, what is my duty? check each of them if he's playing west, which world he plays, when he plays and under which nickname? And start lists with them to avoid breaking this rule? tell me how can i check 500 people at work about this. This is the problem i am facing now, that i must verify things i shouldn't care about, like who is who.

you dont need to do any of that lol. just dont coordinate an attack with someone you share an ip with. and i dont think all 500 of them play the west. maybe a handfull and the odds of them dueling someone you dueled in the same 24 hours is very low

DeletedUser

Elmyr said what i was trying to say. he just said it faster and better than i could say it.

DeletedUser

well, in my country server there are about 20k players on each world, and given the population of my city it brings the number at 1 out of 100. So in my company there are about 4 people playing the same world as i am, statistically speaking. If i take into the account my line of work that implies a lot of gaming, that number is even bigger. So i am into the risk to get a ban from at least 4 people on the same connection as i am?
If we take into account people do join new worlds early, and that worlds develop from right to left, the chance to meet those persons on the field is even bigger. It means i might duel someone who plays on my same connection or to coordinate with someone that is on the same connection?
I know, the chances are not that big, but they exist, and when i get a ban for even 48 hours till i clarify the matter, i lose money, time, and xp for no reason than the fact i don't keep track of what games the entire company plays.
This is an issue, no matter it is small or big chance, it can happen and it's not a small matter.

The rule is logical and correct to apply to persona living in the same household, like brothers, since they know each other. But when NAT and IP masquerading (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_address_translation) are often used by companies or small network providers, the chance to have innocent people sharing the same ip without knowing each other is not to be ignored. What happens in my case, where at least 5 people statistically (and probably more) share the same ip? Or in the case of network providers that only have a single or few public IP like network cafes, schools, high schools, universities, companies, and so on?

DeletedUser

@thebifman,

i think this is one extremly unlikely situation and is very rare. maybe you have just bad luck. if 10 people in your company play, it's very very unlikely you'll be playing in same world and duel same person with someone other in same 24 hours.

in my company, there is about 800 people and as far as i know, only several of my friends play West and we all sit in same room. i don't bother with other people.

rule may not be perfect, but it is as it is.

EDIT: if you are sooo worried about all this, just use some open proxy service on Internet. However, you'll be probably worried then, what if someone else who plays West uses same open proxy.

DeletedUser

If you're really worried about it, there's always the option of doing something else at work and just playing the West at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.