Peter Pan v Jesus: A comparison

DeletedUser

Violette, I don't judge you for your actions or anyone else. I just state my opinions in the debates just like you and all the others. I'll be the first to tell you that I am not a good person. I don't match up to God's standards; I fail more than I care to admit.

Then stop condemning others based on standards you yourself don't even attempt to meet.

However, debates aren't about our personal lives nor personal insults for that matter. In debate hall you can't bring up the opponents personal life or personally insult him. My life has no bearing on my opinions in the debates. Furthermore, there is absolutely no reason for any of us to fight. Debates are supposed to be enjoyable, not petty cat fights over nothing.
The person who raised the issue of your personal life was you, and you raised it to prove some kind of point ie: that you are a lovely person. This was a diversionary tactic on your part (whether conscious or unconscious), crying "personality" and playing the poor, misunderstood victim as I stated before, and Hellstromm stated prior to that.

As I also stated previously, whether you are a lovely person is a matter of complete disinterest to me and entirely irrelevant to this discussion.

However, the personal example you chose to give did not illustrate that you are a lovely person. It illustrated that you are an incoherent one.

If you are such a failure in your own eyes, and in the eyes of your god, your time would be much better spent endeavouring to remove the plank from your own eye rather than worrying about what specks might be in other people's, let alone fussing over how the universe began. And that is the moral advice you find in your own religious text.

Doing anything other than that makes you a hypocrite according to your bible, as well as to those who observe your incoherent behaviour. And psychologically, it reveals too many attributional biases to even count.

In my experience, it is all but impossible for those who are as aware of their own flaws as a person can be (rather than simply repeating that they deserve to go to hell which is just a form of narcissism) to be anything but non-judgemental and non-dogmatic, with the exception of some few inviolable principles which they do hold themselves up to. And that brings us back to the whole point of my previous post...

Stop condemning others based on standards you yourself don't even attempt to meet. And stop attempting to force the world to conform to them as well. When you learn how to do that, I will happily tell you that you have some integrity, whether I agree with you views or not.

DeletedUser

Oh? And who gives you the right to judge my life so mercilessly? Are you perfect? I didn't think so.

The only things I have debated are abortion, homosexuality, war, equalities of genders, and the origin of man. I would never say to a woman who has had an abortion: "Murderer." I would never say to a homosexual: "Sodomite." However, If I choose to debate these issues I have every right to. Who are you to tell me that just because my bf was an athiest I am no longer good enough? Furthermore, what right do you have to impose your morals on society? Not everyone is going to agree with Violette's morals. Therefore, according to your faulty argument, everything should be legal. Moreover, I don't need your approval and nor do I want it, thank you very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Virginia, debate the topic at hand, or step off. Your tactical rantings are no substitute for factual argument. In debate, there's a great big bogey called, Fallacious Reasoning. For the last 6+ of your posts, all you presented has been fallacious reasoning. No substance, no substantive arguments in response to the original debate, nothing to corroborate your initial comments.

Seriously, debate the topic at hand, or concede. This drama dance does nothing more than undermine your credibility.

DeletedUser

Hellstromm, I have every right to take the defense when someone is on the offense. Furthermore, I am the one who brought up the fact that fights and personal insults have no place in debates.

DeletedUser

Hellstromm, I have every right to take the defense when someone is on the offense.
You have the right to do whatever you want, but that's not what we were discussing.

I am the one who brought up the fact that fights and personal insults have no place in debates.
Indeed you were, and again that was not what we're discussing, therefore it was an attempt to sidestep from the debate.

Rights, feelings, pride, honor; those are all cards played in a debate, and they all come from the deck of fallacious reasoning.

Return to the debate, or concede.

DeletedUser

Well this is the third edit of your response to me and you seemed to have changed tack each time. But let's deal with this one...

Oh? And who gives you the right to judge my life so mercilessly? Are you perfect? I didn't think so.

I shall point out once again that I have not judged you according to my values. I have judged you in accordance with your own. I did not do that to tell you that you are a horrible person (for starters, I don't share those values, anyway) but merely to illustrate that your reasoning is faulty and that your values and judgments appear to be applied selectively.

The only things I have debated are abortion, homosexuality, war, equalities of genders, and the origin of man. I would never say to a woman who has had an abortion: "Murderer." I would never say to a homosexual: "Sodomite."
Actually, you have repeatedly called women who have abortions murderers just you have also stated that the only reason these unknown women have abortions is because they are selfish. So are you retracting those statements here? Or are you simply saying that you are happy to judge and slander unknown people, but would not do it to their face? Again, this is incoherent.

(IIRC, it is only JM who as stated that homosexuals should be executed, so I have no opinion of your views on that topic.)

Who are you to tell me that just because my bf was an athiest I am no longer good enough?
I did not make any such statement. I repeat: I simply pointed out that that behaviour was not in accordance with your own stated values. (ie; that the bible is exact in it's moral judgements and instructions). You expect others who have no such view to follow those instructions, and have advocated enforcing those instructions by law, yet you do not follow them yourself.

Personally, I have no problem with you dating a Buddhist nun if that is who you want to date, but being so forgiving of yourself and in fact flaunting a "sin" (as you would define it) as proof of your goodness while at the same time being so harsh in blaming others requires self-deception and is indicative of attribution bias.

Furthermore, what right do you have to impose your morals on society? Not everyone is going to agree with Violette's morals. Therefore, according to your faulty argument, everything should be legal.
And once again... My post only referred to your morals, not my own, and you brought those into this discussion yourself.

As for "Violette's morals", you can have very little idea of what they are because they have never been particularly relevant to these discussions. And I have certainly never suggested "everything should be legal", so that is simply your way of throwing a red herring at me because you are feeling defensive.

As for what right I have to impose my moral values on others, I have none. But I have not sought to do such a thing. The fact that I object very strongly to you attempting to impose yours, however, gives you a pretty clear indication of what one of my morals is. And that is that nobody is qualified to claim absolute truth when it comes to values.

I could be wrong about that, of course, but you have yet to make an argument that suggests I am.

Moreover, I don't need your approval and nor do I want it, thank you very much.
While you are unable to recognise this, my previous post was not intended to insult you in any way. I have only dispassionate opinions about your ideas and the arguments you use to support those ideas. I am also perfectly happy for you to believe whatever you want: Your private thoughts and behaviour are of no concern to me.

However, when people make claims of absolute truth about both science and morality, I expect them to be able to back them up. And I expect them to be able to handle their ideas being questioned without behaving as though their entire personality is being threatened. If they cannot do those things, it is quite obvious that their knowledge and their understanding could use improvement, just as it is obvious that they had no right to claim absolute truth in the first place.

As I suggested earlier, if you have strong opinions and you like to discuss them, you should learn something about argumentation and logical fallacies. And I see that Hellstromm has said the same thing. The last time I made that suggestion, however, you went postal.

You really had no need to because it is not an insult. Everyone has to learn (or, at least, should learn) how to formulate valid opinions and arguments. I'm not telling you to change what you think. I'm just saying you have a lot of room for improvement in the "whys" of what you think.

As insults and offensiveness goes, this is the equivalent of a friend saying to you, "Yes, your butt does look big in those jeans." I don't know about you but, personally, those are the friends I value the most.

DeletedUser

SSt Patrick wasn't Irish he was Roman. He didn't drive the snakes out of Ireland he helped to destroy the native pagan practices. The Serpent/Dragon/Snake was a Symbol of the Druidic Priests. So go out and get drenfaced but realize you are celebrating cultural genocide at the hands of a political "church"

DeletedUser

just doing what I do best. Besides as someone who can responsibly handle their liquor I detest St Pat's and New Year's as they are excuses for amateur drinkers to get incoherent. If I'm going to get puke on my shoes I'd prefer it to be my own.

DeletedUser

Happy St. Patricks and all the oppression it represents. So, Virginia, do you concede?

DeletedUser

I'm was having a conversation with Violette. You don't concede from conversations, and you certainly don't concede to someone not even involved. ;)

Violette said:
As insults and offensiveness goes, this is the equivalent of a friend saying to you, "Yes, your butt does look big in those jeans." I don't know about you but, personally, those are the friends I value the most.
After someone calls me [beep], I find it hard to realize they're trying to be that great friend, but if you say you are, that's all it takes. I detest petty fights, so I'm going to leave it at that.

DeletedUser

I'm was having a conversation with Violette. You don't concede from conversations, and you certainly don't concede to someone not even involved. ;)

Well, actually, that post was related to the issues at hand. It was about logic and incoherent, fallacious postions.

After someone calls me [beep], I find it hard to realize they're trying to be that great friend, but if you say you are, that's all it takes. I detest petty fights, so I'm going to leave it at that.
Which was in response to your behaviour at the time and again... "Your butt looks big in that."

Incidentally, you don't have to be friends with someone to be honest. You just have to choose not to compromise your own integrity in a desire to be liked. I have no personal animosity towards you. I only have animosity towards your reasoning and the dogma you have yet to justify. That dogma has implications in the real world. It is harmful.

DeletedUser

Misdirection. An appropriate response from children who believe in magic, I guess.

DeletedUser

hey! I believe in magic......of course in a slightly different context and not unreconcilable with science.