Outlaw Level - A whole new way of playing The West

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diggo11

Gem can we suggest the concept to the developers and see if they can come up with a cool new idea?
Honestly I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing this idea to development, one because it would change their game quite a bit and two it might clash with quite a few updates up the line that we don't know of. I don't want to be the one to tell them "Hey devs! Change your whole game!" (also because I like it at it is :))
Is there a middle step between (a) a formal proposal and (c) silence? Like, (b) a 1-sentence query just to see if they have any thoughts about the general idea at all?
Yeah I agree here. We don't need to create a formal proposal but could we just mention it to them and see what they think?

DeletedUser

Gem could do that. Part of Gem's job I assume is to be a filter between the game players and the devs. Sure, Gem could take this idea to them as well as several other ideas on this forum players have liked but not been taken to a vote for one reason or another. That would be cutting corners though and diminishing the filter the devs put in place.

There are criteria listed on how to get an idea to a vote. This idea has not met that criteria. Make it meet the criteria, let it get voted upon, then let it be submitted to the devs.

You've explained that very well, thank you :)

Yeah I agree here. We don't need to create a formal proposal but could we just mention it to them and see what they think?

That's pretty much the same thing :p
mentioning it, making them read the thread..etc. All formal proposals are are summaries making it easier for them.

Red Falcon

Hell yeah! This would make the game so much more interesting. And seeing as how I'm an 'Iroquois' Soldier, this just makes it even better, because you can have either good Indians or bad Indians or good African Americans or bad ones! It is definitely worth going for! :D

DeletedUser

That's pretty much the same thing :p
mentioning it, making them read the thread..etc. All formal proposals are are summaries making it easier for them.

Who are the devs? I'll contact them myself.

DeletedUser

Did you read Gem's post?

Yeah, but he/she is shooting the idea down without being open to any possible refinement, despite the fact that the majority of the community is clearly in support of the basic outline.

DeletedUser

They read it. They just don't care. The developers of this game are no secret. You want to send them an email go ahead. Good luck with that.

If I were Gem I'd be a bit upset though. She is the filter/buffer between the players and the devs. She speaks for the devs. How many times does Gem have to say this isn't going to happen. You haven't met the criteria. You aren't special. All ideas must meet the criteria first.

If you are too lazy to fix the problems the idea has then don't expect anyone to go out of their way to present it to the devs. Follow the proecedures that are in place. That's the way the dev's wanted it and that is the way they shall have it.

DeletedUser

They read it. They just don't care. The developers of this game are no secret. You want to send them an email go ahead. Good luck with that.

If I were Gem I'd be a bit upset though. She is the filter/buffer between the players and the devs. She speaks for the devs. How many times does Gem have to say this isn't going to happen. You haven't met the criteria. You aren't special. All ideas must meet the criteria first.

If you are too lazy to fix the problems the idea has then don't expect anyone to go out of their way to present it to the devs. Follow the proecedures that are in place. That's the way the dev's wanted it and that is the way they shall have it.

I'm not asking for it to be presented to the devs. I'm asking if the devs would consider the idea before somebody takes the time and effort to actually clarify how the final system would work. I'm not trying to be rude here, it just seems like only a few people have more weight to throw around than the rest.

DeletedUser

So you are asking for a shortcut. Every idea on here goes through the same process. Just follow it. If you get all the kinks worked out and fit all the criteria listed here http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=7977 then it can go up for a vote. Hell, I might even vote for it if the idea is fixed.

Lots of people put a lot of thought and effort into their ideas only to have them shot down. If you really care about this idea then make it work so that they have no choice but to put it up for a vote. Even then it is up to the devs whether they implement it or not.

DeletedUser

That's why you should refine it to a point where it would be presentable in-game and not upset the current balance before going any further.

DeletedUser

I was under the impression that the devs don't implement ideas strictly verbatim, but rather take ideas and incorporate them as they see fit. We're not designers, just advisers. But if it's absolutely necessary, I don't mind further fleshing out certain ideas to meet the requirements.

DeletedUser

True, but it makes it a hell of a lot easier if you took the time to kink the idea out to where the dev's see it has potential. Right now, all I'm seeing is Bad duelers/soldiers and good workers.

DeletedUser

I'm not asking for it to be presented to the devs. I'm asking if the devs would consider the idea before somebody takes the time and effort to actually clarify how the final system would work. I'm not trying to be rude here, it just seems like only a few people have more weight to throw around than the rest.

development discussions said:
In order to get an idea to the voting stage you must have the following:

1. The idea must be balanced and well thought out. If you haven't explored the positives and negatives, and looked at ways in which the idea could be exploited it isn't going to make it to a vote.

2. The idea must not require excessive admin interaction to prevent cheating. For example, lets say your idea is to allow trading of equipment between players, how do you prevent cheating without having an admin review each and every trade?

3. The idea must not change the concept behind the game.

If your just going to throw ideas out, without thinking through the ramifications, then don't expect to ever see the idea make it to the voting stage. If you have questions about an Idea contact Gem or myself, we can explain why an idea isn't going through yet, which will allow you to rectify it.

As to what happens after the idea is submitted... It may still not get implemented, most ideas won't be.
Some reasons you may never see the idea impilmented:
1. Too expensive to implement.
2. The idea may require too great of a code change for too little gain.
3. The idea may be prioritized so far down the ladder that it just won't make the cut.
4. The idea may conflict with future changes and be discarded.
5. The idea may require too many resources to prevent cheating.

Remember that even if its a good idea, if it doesn't fit with the final vision for the game, its not going to be implemented.

All I am doing is trying to get the section working, under the rules that myself, and the other sheriffs and admins agreed upon. When the idea was first presented to me I opposed it, but only after some discussion about the rules did I agree. I am not going to go back on the rules. I don't understand why you think I am going to give you special treatment, because I won't as I am not like that. If you think me not giving you special treatment is because I am "throwing weight around" then me even posting here is pointless and this thread may be locked. Your choice.

</rant>

note: bold parts.

</mean gem>

DeletedUser

All I am doing is trying to get the section working, under the rules that myself, and the other sheriffs and admins agreed upon. When the idea was first presented to me I opposed it, but only after some discussion about the rules did I agree. I am not going to go back on the rules. I don't understand why you think I am going to give you special treatment, because I won't as I am not like that. If you think me not giving you special treatment is because I am "throwing weight around" then me even posting here is pointless and this thread may be locked. Your choice.

</rant>

</mean gem>

I never said this idea should get special treatment. I simply asked why this idea was being shot down before even being given a chance for further refinement/discussion, especially when it's one of the most popular ideas in the suggestions forum. You stated that this idea would never happen, instead of saying that it's currently incomplete/invalid according to the criteria.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Given a chance for further refinement? This thread isn't locked. Go refine it. I believe if anything Gem was trying to tell you 3x before this that this idea has almost no chance of being implemented. You can still refine it all you want. Maybe with refinement it will have a chance.

DeletedUser

Given a chance for further refinement? This thread isn't locked. Go refine it. I believe if anything Gem was trying to tell you 3x before this that this idea has almost no chance of being implemented. You can still refine it all you want. Maybe with refinement it will have a chance.

Thanks a bunch Denisero - I am not too good at explaining am I :)
Anyways, let's get back on topic. If you have a problem with the rules please PM me.

Diggo11

All I am doing is trying to get the section working, under the rules that myself, and the other sheriffs and admins agreed upon... If you think me not giving you special treatment is because I am "throwing weight around" then me even posting here is pointless and this thread may be locked. Your choice.

</rant>

</mean gem>
You forgot your opening tags :p

Anyway I think this thread should be locked as there is no way it will ever be refined within the rules. It is a good idea but rules are rules and clearly they won't be bent.

DeletedUser

Anyway I think this thread should be locked as there is no way it will ever be refined within the rules. It is a good idea but rules are rules and clearly they won't be bent.

I guess we still need that lock because someone will keep digging it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.