Outlaw Level - A whole new way of playing The West

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

no but this whole concept works on the fatc that what ever class i choose i can be good or bad

but as deniro has said you cannot dp this with a dueler

DeletedUser

no but this whole concept works on the fatc that what ever class i choose i can be good or bad

but as deniro has said you cannot dp this with a dueler

It doesn't have to be jobs that make you good or bad. It can be quests, who you duel, and possibly other things in the future.

DeletedUser

so if u duel some1 with bad rep and beat them, you have good rep and vice versa... but that's it.

DeletedUser

so if u duel some1 with bad rep and beat them, you have good rep and vice versa... but that's it.

One duel isn't gonna change your rep. You gain points towards one end of the spectrum or the other, which gradually builds up over time. Haven't you played a game with a rep system, like KOTOR, GTA2, etc.?

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It doesn't have to be jobs that make you good or bad. It can be quests, who you duel, and possibly other things in the future.

And that still leaves builders out of the having to make a choice if they are going to be good or bad. Unless every class is forced to make the same choices it is not balanced.

Now you want the devs to come up with special stuff that can make builders go bad. They would have to take out the builders high xp and high paying jobs for that to work because otherwise they really don't have a hard decision to make.

You said "who you duel", well that is really biased towards fighters. Nobody likes the idea, the moderator told you it was dead. Let it die unless you can propose something that fits this criteria:

In order to get an idea to the voting stage you must have the following:

1. The idea must be balanced and well thought out. If you haven't explored the positives and negatives, and looked at ways in which the idea could be exploited it isn't going to make it to a vote.

2. The idea must not require excessive admin interaction to prevent cheating. For example, lets say your idea is to allow trading of equipment between players, how do you prevent cheating without having an admin review each and every trade?

3. The idea must not change the concept behind the game.

If your just going to throw ideas out, without thinking through the ramifications, then don't expect to ever see the idea make it to the voting stage. If you have questions about an Idea contact Gem or myself, we can explain why an idea isn't going through yet, which will allow you to rectify it.

As to what happens after the idea is submitted... It may still not get implemented, most ideas won't be.
Some reasons you may never see the idea implmented:
1. Too expensive to implement.
2. The idea may require too great of a code change for too little gain.
3. The idea may be prioritized so far down the ladder that it just won't make the cut.
4. The idea may conflict with future changes and be discarded.
5. The idea may require too many resources to prevent cheating.

Remember that even if its a good idea, if it doesn't fit with the final vision for the game, its not going to be implemented.

DeletedUser

And that still leaves builders out of the having to make a choice if they are going to be good or bad. Unless every class is forced to make the same choices it is not balanced.

Now you want the devs to come up with special stuff that can make builders go bad. They would have to take out the builders high xp and high paying jobs for that to work because otherwise they really don't have a hard decision to make.

You said "who you duel", well that is really biased towards fighters. Nobody likes the idea, the moderator told you it was dead. Let it die unless you can propose something that fits this criteria:

Obviously, not every idea is perfect from the very first draft. Nobody said it couldn't be refined. Moreover, builders already can't do the highest paying jobs, so you want the devs to balance that out with the way the game currently is, as well?

Why should builders be able to do everything? That would be imbalanced, in and of itself. Again, if you want to be an outlaw, don't be a builder, instead, be a character who actually does crimes. Building isn't a crime.

You're writing off the idea, not because it's imbalanced, but because you just don't understand it and because you don't want to adapt to it.

DeletedUser

Jobs for builders:

Building Windmills

Money 42 XP 43 Luck 6
Iron Mining
Money 52 XP 32 Luck 15
Constructing Ranch House
Money 28 XP 61 Luck 17
Building a Fort
Money 33 XP 71 Luck 17
Firefighter
Money 15 XP 41 Luck 65
Drilling for Oil
Money 83 XP 25 Luck 20

Those aren't good jobs?

The point isn't 'if you want to be an outlaw don't be a builder', the point is that builders can't be outlaws based on the jobs they do. That is what makes it imbalanced.

I am not the only one telling you it isn't going to happen. I'm just the one trying to reason with you. Obviously that is failing so I give up. Gem said it isn't going to happen. It ain't going to happen. You have to fix the builder issue and you have to fix the entire idea to fit into the criteria I quoted earlier. This is far from it.

You want this to work then figure out a way that a builder can become an outlaw and a way that a dueler/soldier can avoid becoming one without taking away anyone's good paying jobs to do so. There has to come a point where each player, no matter what their character class, will have to decided "which road do I want to take", not because they want to, but because they have to. As it stands now builders never have to make that choice, they are always on the 'good' side of things and soldiers will always be on the 'bad' side unless they choose to stop doing high paying jobs and dueling. If you make solders/fighters do that then you have taken away their profession and everything they've specced for up to this point.

With all that said, you can continue to promote this dead idea all you want, but dead idea it is. I'm not your enemy here, I'm trying to point out to you what needs fixing. You just seem stuck on the current concept and the current concept is not going to work.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

None of those are crimes. Unless builders start building illegal structures, then builders by default aren't criminals. If it's necessary that a builder can become an outlaw, then construction jobs that are related to crime can be added.

The most rewarding jobs are ones that should come with the most risks. You can't have the best jobs without none of drawbacks, that would be imbalanced. You either choose to be a good character who duels outlaws and performs decent jobs with decent rewards, or become an outlaw with high risks, but high rewards.

The majority of the members who've replied to this thread is in support of the idea. That doesn't mean that it cannot be further refined to deal with the minor issues you've addressed. It'd be unjust if Gem didn't at least asked what the devs thought about the idea in general.

DeletedUser

Unless builders start building illegal structures, then builders by default aren't criminals. If it's necessary that a builder can become an outlaw, then construction jobs that are related to crime can be added.

Perhaps they could build... an... evil petting zoo?
200px-Drevil_million_dollars.jpg

DeletedUser

This thread cracks me up.

Okay, I'll admit this doesn't change the concept of the game. This changes the concept of duellers doing jobs. It's far too biased and would only be a new thing for duellers, builders do the same old even if this were implemented.

Note: in the class battles adventurers are never mentioned ;)
: DUELLER vs BUILDER :

DeletedUser

didnt read all the threads to c if this had been said but the idea is like that in fallout with the good n the bad bounty hunters when u r super bad or good, i think its a nice idea, there lots of thigns that can b taken from that game to add into the west somehow, like some 1 else said with creating items. well keep up the good work ne way guys, big west fan :D

Diggo11

This thread cracks me up.

Okay, I'll admit this doesn't change the concept of the game. This changes the concept of duellers doing jobs. It's far too biased and would only be a new thing for duellers, builders do the same old even if this were implemented.

Note: in the class battles adventurers are never mentioned ;)
: DUELLER vs BUILDER :
Gem can we suggest the concept to the developers and see if they can come up with a cool new idea?

DeletedUser5046

in te class battles..adverturers are never mentioned....

*keeps on playin in mah mind so i think i have to ask..*

is it because adv's play like te wall between te two classes and they are versatile somehow...?

does tis means tat devs are able to make adv's perfectly fit . . ?

DeletedUser

Gem can we suggest the concept to the developers and see if they can come up with a cool new idea?

Honestly I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing this idea to development, one because it would change their game quite a bit and two it might clash with quite a few updates up the line that we don't know of. I don't want to be the one to tell them "Hey devs! Change your whole game!" (also because I like it at it is :))

DeletedUser

Honestly I wouldn't feel comfortable pushing this idea to development, one because it would change their game quite a bit and two it might clash with quite a few updates up the line that we don't know of. I don't want to be the one to tell them "Hey devs! Change your whole game!" (also because I like it at it is :))

Is there a middle step between (a) a formal proposal and (c) silence? Like, (b) a 1-sentence query just to see if they have any thoughts about the general idea at all?

DeletedUser

Is it possible to simply ask them what they think of the basic outline of the idea?

And don't you think it's rather biased that you don't want to mention the idea to them because you personally aren't fond of it?

DeletedUser

Gem could do that. Part of Gem's job I assume is to be a filter between the game players and the devs. Sure, Gem could take this idea to them as well as several other ideas on this forum players have liked but not been taken to a vote for one reason or another. That would be cutting corners though and diminishing the filter the devs put in place.

There are criteria listed on how to get an idea to a vote. This idea has not met that criteria. Make it meet the criteria, let it get voted upon, then let it be submitted to the devs.

Status
Not open for further replies.