DeletedUser26977

Proposal
Option to opt out of PvP

Current Workaround
Townless

Details
Added premium option

Abuse Prevention
There must be a standard cool down period so players can not abuse the system to avoid retaliations.

Summary
Yes, the West is a dueling game, but that isn't all it is. If it was, there would be no quests, crafting, goals or collections. Many online games that include some sort of battle also include an option for players who prefer not to have PvP.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser25632

A separate world where there is no dueling would never happen. The server wouldn't have enough people on it nor enough premium used to keep the server running.

The only thing I could see is a premium for a non-pvp flag that will stop you from being dueled for a certain amount of time, or an option in settings that will allow you not to be dueled with some sort of cool down so you can't switch it on and off as you wish to avoid being dueled when you don't want to be. Something like a 24-72 hour cool down from switching it off / on or even longer.

However, I don't really approve of a non pvp option as it doesn't really fit into the "west" style, but I can see why someone could have a use for it. I honestly don't duel that often, but I used to a lot. If you want this idea to be taken seriously though, put it into the proper format located here: http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=30480

DeletedUser26977

Thanks!

I didn't see that form. I've been playing for a long time, but rarely visit the forums.

DeletedUser

Great idea bro! I've always thought this could be a great single player game.

So lets see. No markets, no dueling, no forts, no fort battles, no telegrams, no chat, no towns, and no friends. Yep, removing PvP would be great fun.

DeletedUser26977

PvP = dueling. Being given the option not to duel or be dueled doesn't equal what you are saying.

I might not visit the forums often, but it doesn't mean I am new to the game. I've been a player of The West since 2009. People wanting protection or a way not to be dueled isn't new.

DeletedUser30224

ShireMist, I would say that it should not be a premium feature only. It should cost nuggets or bonds and you should not be able to activate it if you have a bounty. Also when you activate this functionality, it should only come in effect after certain time: 12h seems sufficient. During this time you can be duelled but no bounties can be put on your head. You might want to not make it a temporary feature once activated, maybe let it last max 2 weeks like other premium features.

DeletedUser30417

This idea seems like another nail in the coffin of dueling. It also removes the only advantage of being townless. Maybe if it is available only to low lvl players then I could agree to this idea, but otherwise I'd strongly oppose it.

Anyways if you don't want to get dueled and you don't like being townless, then you can always go for a job KO and receive 48 hours of duel protection.

DeletedUser34315

Dueling is an integral part of this game- and there's already the job KO exploit to protect you if you don't like getting dueled. Thus, i must heartily disagree with any attempt to add a way to opt out of duels.

Ripwise

I see this question is popping out constantly and sincerely idk why. How hard it is to KO yourself on another player? Strip naked and press duel, wait 10 minutes and voila! You got yourself 48h of protection.

Dueling will never go away and all out "turn off" of PvP is even further from happening.

Sorry mate, you will either make it your initiative to KO yourself and be protected when you want or be KOed by others when you dont want to.

DeletedUser35746

I have nothing against this at all but honestly, I can't imagine anyone wasting his money when he can get free protection by KO. Anyway, it's good way for Inno to make more money.

DeletedUser30224

In all honesty this has no chance at all of passing, but that doesn't mean that we cannot talk about it, so I'll entertain the idea :) The fact that you can fort fight even if you do not belong to a town in itself says that such "PVP" protection would be redundant.

DeletedUser14192

Unless you were doing this for free on a new server that had no duelers I would be against this. People that pay money have advantages in almost every single thing in this game. That's not really a bad thing, I understand that other players will pay premium prices and should be rewarded, but don't tell me that some guy can just pay 14 bucks a month to never have to worry about being dueled.

Otherwise why deposit anything into your bank, even your own town's bank, if it's always safe unless you get KO'd on a job.

DeletedUser25632

I personally don't have a town for not wanting to be dueled. I get whatever items I want through the market for cheap, and money is easy to make as it is and now I can do fort fights without having to be in a town. Of course it's better to be in a town, but I can see why people disagree and agree with this idea, it's likely something that wont be implemented no matter how many people support it though.

DeletedUser14192

I personally don't have a town for not wanting to be dueled. I get whatever items I want through the market for cheap, and money is easy to make as it is and now I can do fort fights without having to be in a town. Of course it's better to be in a town, but I can see why people disagree and agree with this idea, it's likely something that wont be implemented no matter how many people support it though.

True, I think though the people who disagree with it are voicing reasons against it because they want people to understand why this isn't a good idea for most players.

It's like when people want Colleges to pay Football Players for playing football. If the colleges just kept saying no with no one explaining that you just get more and more people fighting for it. If you however explain that if you pay Football players you HAVE to pay women's badminton players and all the other sports and the pay would equal about 2 cents a year, that's when you get people understanding why the answer is no. It also allows people to come up with solutions for that problem if they want the players paid.

DeletedUser

I see this question is popping out constantly and sincerely idk why. How hard it is to KO yourself on another player? Strip naked and press duel, wait 10 minutes and voila! You got yourself 48h of protection.

Take care with that... i got banned for 3 days for "pushing" due to make that for completing the 2 daily duels and get ko.

At least, the 0 motivation duelers are already needing to pay up 10 times the number of nuggets they used to do.

And let´s face it. Duellers are the ones that use more nuggets in game. They pay more than fort fighters and they are ingame 10h for each hour a fort fighter is...

So that option is impossible.

DeletedUser26977

If all the checks were in place so a player couldn't use it to hide after dueling another player and appropriate cool down periods were applied, I don't know why this isn't a viable option. People should be able to opt out of PvP (dueling) if they wished without using premium. Premium use was just as suggestion/idea.

I have been playing since 2009 and have been a gold user/spender for 90% of the time. I know many of my friends who don't like getting dueled are the same. We might not spend as much as dueler, simply because there aren't as many of us but I am a fairly high user/spender of nuggets. Many are town members, but the game is far less enjoyable to them then it could be. Honestly, if I didn't have the option to be townless, I would have quit playing The West years ago.

This option wouldn't take away from dueling since the majority of players would remain in the pool. I guess I don't understand why to opt out, a player must use game mechanics to KO themselves when the methods used isn't what they were meant for. The change would be easy and minimal. I also don't understand why duelers are so against allowing a few of us to opt out when it won't change anything for them.

Again, many other battle/fighting games still offer the option to opt out of PvP and it hasn't taken away or ruined the game.

But, this is a losing battle, so I guess if I want to join a town I will just have to KO myself every 48 hours. Better yet, I will remain townless and play solo even though I prefer not to.