New world release date?

Agfob

As the first player has reached level 150 in Galveston and others will follow soon, the question arises,
will there be yet another world release and if so, when is it set to open?

DeletedUser38679

Hopefully never. Opening another world would be right up there with continuing to release tombolas in the list of things that will kill this game.
I don't think so, they need new tombolas on old servers to keep people interested to continue playing, if they start new servers they can use old cloths and it'll still be interesting ;) But that'd also mean they'll have to stop some servers which is hard in grinding games like this.

Pankreas PorFavor

I don't think so, they need new tombolas on old servers to keep people interested to continue playing, if they start new servers they can use old cloths and it'll still be interesting ;) But that'd also mean they'll have to stop some servers which is hard in grinding games like this.

I see you joined the server a bit more than a month ago. it seems you are not aware of the history of this game.

DeletedUser22685

I don't think so, they need new tombolas on old servers to keep people interested to continue playing, if they start new servers they can use old cloths and it'll still be interesting ;)
Tombolas are NOT interesting, period. Even ignoring the facts that they've completely destroyed game balance between premium and non-premium players, made 90% of other items obsolete and made a mockery of many game mechanics (having 25k HP, dealing 40k damage in battles, gold pickaxes on every job with whatever build you like etc.), they're quite simply boring. A month or two between tombolas every single year, and each one exactly the same as the one from the year before. Many of them involve grinding to collect temporary event currency which, aside from being utterly unimaginative, disrupts other struggling areas of the game such as fort fighting.

You're right about the new server being interesting without tombola clothes though. I never played Galveston, but I've heard from several players who did that the opening couple of months were the most fun they've had in the game in a long time. Then the first tombola came around and it became just another half empty world that accomplished nothing apart from taking some players out of existing worlds and helping them to die just that little bit quicker. I sincerely hope they don't open another one, but knowing Inno, they will.

DeletedUser38679

Tombolas are NOT interesting, period. Even ignoring the facts that they've completely destroyed game balance between premium and non-premium players, made 90% of other items obsolete and made a mockery of many game mechanics (having 25k HP, dealing 40k damage in battles, gold pickaxes on every job with whatever build you like etc.), they're quite simply boring. A month or two between tombolas every single year, and each one exactly the same as the one from the year before. Many of them involve grinding to collect temporary event currency which, aside from being utterly unimaginative, disrupts other struggling areas of the game such as fort fighting.

You're right about the new server being interesting without tombola clothes though. I never played Galveston, but I've heard from several players who did that the opening couple of months were the most fun they've had in the game in a long time. Then the first tombola came around and it became just another half empty world that accomplished nothing apart from taking some players out of existing worlds and helping them to die just that little bit quicker. I sincerely hope they don't open another one, but knowing Inno, they will.

Well i've joined Faribank and play there, few days/weeks later i joined on Galvestone (i used to play this game years ago, but didn't play for few years until now) and i can tell you difference. As i said on old worlds they need to add new things so people are interested, if they'd made some endgame which would apear after 1 year of server or so and than close the server and start new one, they wouldn't need to add so much new equipment and as you said unballance game even more. Why i'm arguing with your statment "hopefully they'll never start new server again" because i think there should be more new servers with less new equipment and old ones should close slowly ;)

Pankreas PorFavor

on old worlds they need to add new things so people are interested

new things? YES! we want new things. like - new buildings in town for builders to complete. new maps for adventures. shops in forts? yes, that was on the roadmap once, why not that too. new quests maybe? new jobs/products and new crafting recipes/increased level, etc. etc.
there were hundreds of good ideas suggested in this forum. but they never did get implemented.
just another tombola where instead of set ABC that gives you +4 AP in all attributes you will get a set XYZ with +5 AP, where instead of +20 shooting you get +25 shooting etc. - these are NOT new things that make the game interesting.

if they'd made some endgame

who said anything about endgame? stay on topic.

Why i'm arguing with your statment "hopefully they'll never start new server again" because i think there should be more new servers with less new equipment and old ones should close slowly ;)

ok, that is what you think, that's your right. I would like to hear the arguments for this because I don't understand why should it happen? why after N years, hundreds or thousands of hours spent, maybe even a lot of real money spent on nuggets, having all these results and achievements all this should be deleted and players should be forced to start over? that is the perfect recipe to kill the game. after all your investment you are told to start over? you would do that? for casual players that may make sense - but casual players are not a source of stable income for the company who makes the game. and income is what keeps the game alive.
and if you don't start over, but you allow migration to a new world - what's the point of opening a new server if level 150 players with all the gear will migrate there? that's not a new start.

DeletedUser35533

I have played games were they reset progress, If this had been one of them I would have dropped it faster than a hot coal.
suggestions for new additions to the game (gameplay or vanity) were all ignored, all we get is a formula change every few years. We now have a new speed set but back in the day there was talk of adding buildable train station that could run across the map, construction projects that could bring some of the jobs closer to your town, limiting jobs to areas(fishing only near water), adding customization of toons both in profile and adv. There was even talk of having stat swipes on items so for a price you could keep the set you think looks nice while giving it stats of a new set,etc. some good ideas and some bad ides, some would be hard to do but in the end nothing was done, half of the road map is never implemented and when questioned about it we get a shrug and a proclamation that the whole "the west" dev team is just 2 underpaid and overworked guys and that inno lost interest in the game ages ago.

DeletedUser34084

who said anything about endgame? stay on topic.
I don't want to be THAT guy but the topic is "new world release date". I don't see how the rest of your message has anything to do with the topic :chuckle:

And I kind of agree with him. Having an "end game" criteria would be totally awesome and would make the game less-boring :p.

Pankreas PorFavor

I don't want to be THAT guy but the topic is "new world release date". I don't see how the rest of your message has anything to do with the topic :chuckle:

you're right with that :)
but I still stand behind what I wrote - don't defend the statement "tombolas are good" with "if there was an endgame" when the two have nothing to do with each other :p

DeletedUser34084

you're right with that :)
but I still stand behind what I wrote - don't defend the statement "tombolas are good" with "if there was an endgame" when the two have nothing to do with each other :p
I don't see how I was defending tombolas, I would never do such blasphemy. I was just saying that having an end game would be nice :p.

DeletedUser35533

I don't see how I was defending tombolas, I would never do such blasphemy. I was just saying that having an end game would be nice :p.
They would still need to make something that remains after each game and leveling,grinding,etc would not to get a lot easier, which in turn would seem to betray the whole spirit of the game that was supposed to be a spreadsheet type game were you plan your actions carefully over the course of months

Pankreas PorFavor

I don't see how I was defending tombolas

because you weren't. focus, man! :p
I didn't tell you to stay on topic, I told Warbird to do that - meaning "dear mr.Warbird, please don't start talking about nonexistent endgame as an argument for explaining why tombolas are a good thing, because that is a totally unrelated topic."
"what-if" is not needed because we already know that we had a great game without tombolas and without endgame. remember everyone? it was so great that it was even voted to be the best browser game. twice! no tombola, no endgame = best browser game twice. and today....
and since this conversation is going in a direction that has nothing to do with the topic :wink: I am about to exit slowly.. ;) :D

DeletedUser38679

because you weren't. focus, man! :p
I didn't tell you to stay on topic, I told Warbird to do that - meaning "dear mr.Warbird, please don't start talking about nonexistent endgame as an argument for explaining why tombolas are a good thing, because that is a totally unrelated topic."
"what-if" is not needed because we already know that we had a great game without tombolas and without endgame. remember everyone? it was so great that it was even voted to be the best browser game. twice! no tombola, no endgame = best browser game twice. and today....
and since this conversation is going in a direction that has nothing to do with the topic :wink: I am about to exit slowly.. ;) :D

dear mr. Pankreas don't comment if you don't see or understand big picture ! If they NEVER start new servers game will DIE as new players don't have chance to compete with old players on server, even they get to level 150 ! Because old players will have their sets complete, with tomobolas every now and than they get free sets etc, which new player has missed ! So try to compete with someone who'll have his set upgraded to lvl 4 over the years and you just joined the server ! Besides if new player joins the server after it's running for few years he won't get as many player his level who he can duel, or compete vs in fort battles ! Why i said they need endgame in servers and start new servers every now and than, so they can get new players which will maybe find the fun in the game they can't now ! Also agree with adding new feautures to the game and stop with free sets tombolas !

Pankreas PorFavor

dear mr. Pankreas don't comment if you don't see or understand big picture ! If they NEVER start new servers game will DIE as new players don't have chance to compete with old players on server, even they get to level 150 ! Because old players will have their sets complete, with tomobolas every now and than they get free sets etc, which new player has missed ! So try to compete with someone who'll have his set upgraded to lvl 4 over the years and you just joined the server ! Besides if new player joins the server after it's running for few years he won't get as many player his level who he can duel, or compete vs in fort battles ! Why i said they need endgame in servers and start new servers every now and than, so they can get new players which will maybe find the fun in the game they can't now ! Also agree with adding new feautures to the game and stop with free sets tombolas !

well, that's a lot of exclamation points!!! :D :p
now, go back and read what I wrote, and show me where I wrote that new servers shouldn't be open? you cannot? could it be that I never said that? yes, I did say that introducing endgame to someone who spent 5-6-7-8 years building their character, collecting all the gear and achievements etc. etc. is not a smart move and shouldn't be done. if it was designed like that form the start - that's another thing. but forcing someone to restart all of a sudden.. NO. they'd just leave and spend $0 in the future.

and when it comes to the big picture - maybe you are missing it? the problem you describe here with the new players who compete with someone who's been around for years is not caused by the lack of new servers. one is opened every 1.5 years or so. and who joins it? new players? where do they come from? have you ever seen an advertisement for The West? no. it's only the old players who are re-starting in a new server.
but a couple of years ago we had a situation with hundreds of new players joining every day, we had 10 or more .net servers with 5-digit number of players and a bunch of country servers with more players. The statement about "Over 17 million players worldwide!" that you can see on the login page today was actually close to the truth once.
that is the situation I would like to see today, and that would eliminate the problem you are describing. if you joined an old world today with +50000 players, you would compete with another 200-300 or maybe even a thousand players who started in the last 2-3 weeks, they would be your competition, not the level 150 with level 4 upgraded gear. but when you join a world with maybe 1000 active players where 950 of them are level 100 or more - who are you going to compete with? nobody, of course, and it's going to be boring and you are going to quit.
what is killing the game is not the lack of new servers (which are today practically aimed at old players only) - it is the lack of new players because they don't even know that the game exists. no investment in game development, no investment in advertising, but make a new server for old players - how is that going to change anything? new servers do not address the issue at all, you are barking at the wrong tree.

old players will have their sets complete, with tomobolas every now and than they get free sets etc, which new player has missed

huh? old players get free sets? what are you talking about? what advantage will a level 150 player have compared to a level 15 player when the Independence day tombola starts in a few weeks?
old players have old sets? so what? what are you going to do with an old set from 2014? every new tombola makes old sets more and more useless. you have to have the newest gear if you want to compete, so what difference does it make if you missed something from last year? and even then - there's the Christmas tombola where you can get all the old stuff. is that the part of the big picture that you see and I don't?

DeletedUser22685

I'll ignore all the parts about tombolas since they're not the main topic of the thread and I probably shouldn't have included them so heavily in my previous rant, but I would like to respond to your comments regarding new worlds being necessary for new players to compete.

What you've said is true, for the most part. It was over eight years ago that I first started playing this game, but by the time I joined in March 2009, World 9 had already been opened a couple of weeks prior. I still remember eagerly awaiting the release of new worlds so that I could have a chance to be one of the leading players, so I completely understand where you're coming from.

However, nine worlds had been opened within five months of the .net server existing, and by the time that Arizona and Briscoe had been released there had been fourteen worlds in 20 months. Almost all of worlds 2-8 had died or were in the process of dying as a result of many players who thought the same thing I did and took the chance to be competitive in each new world, accidentally or intentionally abandoning their older worlds in order to do so. There was then an entire year before the release of Colorado and it became .net's flagship world for years. Every world they opened after that - each roughly a year apart - failed relative to Colorado's success (the last two especially), the reason being that there quite simply aren't enough active players left to support a growing world for long.

The point I planned on making is that the current player base and the rate at which new players register to play our game in 2017 cannot sustain the opening of new worlds if everything else remains unchanged. The benefits, namely the opportunity for the few new players who may sign up for a new world having the chance to compete at the top level, do not outweigh the negative impact of existing players abandoning their struggling worlds in favour of a fresh start. Pank covered most of what I wanted to say, as I firmly believe that the lack of advertising since about 2010 or '11 is the sole reason for the game's fall from grace. I've said this enough times that I feel like a broken record, and countless other players have done the same, but it's been made quite clear that the advertising situation isn't going to change. It's quite frustrating for myself and others who have invested as much time into this game and community as I have to not be able to think of another solution, but I just don't think opening more worlds is a viable one if nothing else changes.

EDIT: I agree with you, in a way, about worlds needing to close, but not due to an endgame. I've been a proponent of world closures for a while as I feel that the current player base would get more enjoyment out of two, maybe three, relatively full worlds as opposed to eight struggling ones and Arizona, which was boosted by migration reopening at the beginning of the year. In my opinion a solution needs to be found in terms of the compensation of players who would lose accounts, a policy needs to be designed regarding the combination of premium systems (Colorado has suffered as a result of not being eligible for incoming migrants) and the excess worlds should be closed. Perhaps then, with two or three fully functioning worlds, the opening of a new world may be an option in time.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser38679

I agree with you fully that without advertising is hard to do anything, but i still think game would be fully different with an endgame (for example conquering Fort Alamo full of heavy NPC soldiers) so people would have mission and alliances would work together/against each other like they do now, but main goal would still be to conquer that one fort and someone would be declared winner of the server for example. I know it wouldn't change much, but still people wouldn't lose interest of the game as much if there was some goal, now most people come here and need to set their own goals, and might lose interest into the game once they accomplish them. So if server would have an end and some winners everyone would know game will end eventualy and if you want to be among best players you need to spend some money that's for sure, and once server is done you'll lose that, and than new server will start from scratch for everyone.

I know it's hard to make this work now with this playerbase and half empty servers, but still :D

Pankreas PorFavor

I know it's hard to make this work now with this playerbase and half empty servers, but still :D

basically, redesigning a 9 years old game in a way you describe makes no sense. Inno has practically pulled the plug on this game, they won't invest anything, but if players want to pay for what's currently there, they sure will accept the cash.
your idea is a completely different game which would have the same western theme, and that's the only common thing as far as the concept of the game goes. instead of starting a new server, they could make a completely different game based on your ideas ;)

ok, you have ideas. that is nice. but you also mention this "big picture" concept and resent me that I do not see it. when throwing your ideas out there, take this big picture into consideration because it is so easy to find flaws in what you suggest. fort full of NPCs would mark the end game? but forts are just one part of the game. what about those who don't do forts at all? duelers, traders, collectors, questers, crafters....?