Nerf Belle Starr's Deringer (explained)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Proposal
Belle Starr's Deringer (BSD) is far too powerful for a level 45 weapon - level 39 with Premium. I propose the level of damage it deals is seriously lowered.

Current Workaround
People without BSD have to remain very close to their home towns and use their banks a lot to keep from losing a large amount of money or wasting time. They still lose money by banking and there is travelling needed for a lot of quests anyway.

Alternatively they can just not get a town - and lose money through the market and having to buy full-price goods, and lose out on town interaction, and they don't get to build towns.

Acquiring a BSD is not always an option since its quest is a timed battle, and people might not even work it out without help.

Details
The BSD is, as I said, too powerful. It's a level 45 weapon, but it can deal 71-97 base damage. On their own the buffs aren't excessive for a 'special' but they sure don't help its case. Normal weapons don't deal out like that until level 80+. And a lot of special weapons can't be used until level 80. And if you're a Premium player, obviously you can start using it at level 39.

If a player gets a BSD, they are pretty much set until level 80.

While anybody can use it, the access is a timed battle - not just a timed job. This isn't convenient for a LOT of people. But somebody without a BSD is almost guarranteed to lose to somebody WITH a BSD - and not just lose, but be knocked out almost every time, losing all their money and being sent back to their town. This is especially frustrating for non-premium players, because levels after 35 become rapidly tougher to gain, and they can't gain those levels to reach 45 without completing jobs and quests, which they can't complete if they keep getting knocked out.

Perhaps they want to use a set without room for personal weapons. Perhaps they aren't interested in making a gun dueller - or a dueller at all, but still want a town. Perhaps they don't want to stick blandly to one weapon for 30 or so levels. Maybe they don't know how to get the BSD. A new player may have sold it without thinking. Or maybe they don't have time for the timed battle. In all these cases the current response is 'tough on you'.

Or they could not get a town, and forgo the lower prices, interaction, and achievements joining a town results in. Plus of course, they don't get to duel in PVP.

They can always bank a lot, but banking still costs money and trekking to and from town is frustrating and can waste time - and besides, a battle can happen in the blink of an eye. In any case, plenty of quests require travel far from your town.

I propose the damage is lowered - that the minimum base damage is lowered to about 30, and the max base damage to 70. As a special weapon this makes it still 'good' with good potential damage and buffs, but less reliable and less obscenely powerful.

Abuse Prevention
It's possible that some people will gang up on the BSD users to give them a 'taste of their own medicine. So give fair warning to them, time enough to get another weapon.

I can also see a lot of BSD duellers complaining a lot.

Visual Aids
None right now...

Summary
If this is implemented, younger players won't be put off by getting constantly knocked out by the same weapon. Older players won't feel like they're being forced into buying Premium just to use the weapon early enough to defend themselves. People with less convenient time zones will be more encouraged to keep playing the game. And people who just aren't using the BSD will not feel forced to not get a town, and feel safer with exploring other facets of the game further, which also encourages them to play more. They won't give up on the game in frustration.

In the end, this all results in more people playing the game for longer, and more bonds and nuggets being bought in the long term.

Gamebreakers aren't really good for anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ripwise

All i see here is bunch of whining because you are dueled constantly.

If you aint skilled for dueling you can get knocked out with Drakes Loader whose damage is 47-79, should they nerfe that also? What about Allens pepperbox which is lvl 50 and dmg range of 33-153, should that be nerfed also? What about Youngers revolver at lvl 60 with dmg range of 105-125, should that be nerfed also?

Players can get almost ultimate dueling weapon and use it at lvl 70 which is golden colt and doesnt require any premium to get it.

REMEMBER: If you aint skilled for dueling you will lose almost from any weapon because you will get hit.

DeletedUser

Yeah, I'm getting duelled by Premium players 6 levels early. It's not getting beaten that's even HALF as much of a problem as getting KOed.

You seem to be missing the point - LEVEL 45? And it's got a tight, high range of 71-97. Those other weapons you mention are either much higher level, Drake's Loader is something of the range I would actually SUGGEST for this level, if the range MUST be tight, or in Allen's Pepperbox's case, the range is very wide, making it less dangerous.

When you say that a level 45 weapon is on the level of a level 60 weapon, you're pretty much proving my point.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34767

Belle Star's derringer is no different than any of the other named dueling weapons. In fact the average damage is the same as Athos' foil which is the equivalent level melee dueling weapon.

The named weapons are supposed to be special and cannot be bought in the gunsmith. You would have to re-balance all of these items, not just Belle Star's. You just happen to be angry about Belle Star's at the moment.

I'd vote no if it came to a poll and that is coming from someone who has never initiated a player vs. player duel.

DeletedUser22685

All i see here is bunch of whining

This sums up this thread perfectly.

As Caleb pointed out, this isn't the only named weapon in the game and is no different to the others that are all now more common than regular gunsmith weapons. There was a time when Belle Starr's was extremely powerful because it and Hernando's sword were the only decent named weapons that were obtainable (through quests, chests didn't exist at this point), but that time has long since passed.

I'd hate to imagine the whining you'll be doing when you level up some more and start getting duelled by the golden weapons or, God forbid, Howdah Pistols and Golden Tomahawks. Like you were told in your other thread about losing $25k when you got KOed, if you don't like getting duelled, leave town or keep yourself under constant 48 hour KO.

DeletedUser

No from me..if one gets nerfed, the others are to be nerfed too..duelling is a part of the game and while you ff and do your quests its obvious you would get duelled so get your necessary protection. Besides 5 levels later there is the allen's pepperbox revolver which deals a highest of 153 damage. Dont only think about avg. damage because skilled duellers dont deal average damage..they deal something around the max damage so by your theory isnt that overpowered as well?

Originally Posted by Ripwise
All i see here is bunch of whining

Get into some duelling gear and that would scare away some njub duellers. Rest is up to you to deal with. Like Futu said, leave town or keep yourself under permanent 48 hour KO.

DeletedUser22685

Dont only think about avg. damage because skilled duellers dont deal average damage..they deal something around the max damage so by your theory isnt that overpowered as well?

They deal higher than the max damage because of shooting or vigor, but you'd still use average damage in your calculations.

DeletedUser

If it's overpowered and the hours for the quest don't work for you, then just BUY one, they aren't expensive. I haven't sold one in a long time, but a couple years ago they only sold for like $8k. If I was going to post one now I'd do it for the min.

If you can't afford the buy price of Belle's, you, well, you aren't very good at this game at all.

DeletedUser

A big NO from me if this came to vote.

What about the Bowie's knife that is available at level 40 (34 prem soldier) and delivers 68-80 damage? I take it you didn't get duelled by one of those st level 30 yet?

We gave you advice before, and you carried on whining. Why not power level so you are no longer in the duelling range of the pest who keeps attacking you?

Here is a little insight into how duellers work... Duellers earn cash from duels and rarely do jobs or quests. If they find a player who carries a lot of cash and is easy to beat - known as a cash cow or ATM - then that players name is shared around the town, and the cash haul is bragged about!

By not following the advice and by not paying your money into the bank (you lose 4% whoopdy do) you are making and keeping yourself a target. As has been suggested before: use your last 2 energy every 2 days and pick your hardest job... naked. Before doing so, pay your cash into the bank and KO yourself on the job. That way, you lose no cash, no energy and you get a free ride back to town with 48 hours of not being able to be duelled. Do that every 2 days and the problem is solved forever...until you find the next thing to complain about.

DeletedUser

Seriously, someone is complaining about Belle?????!!!!!

I have Belle and I get KO'd by people with Younger or Hernando or a Golden weapon. At least Belle is cheaper and easier to acquire than those weapons (which are far more powerful than Belle).

What's next - nerf all the Easter sets?

Oh man, please kill this thread and put it out of its misery.

DeletedUser

Colt, As soon as he gets the Belle, he will want Hernando's nerfed and then...wah wah wah...

DeletedUser22493

Think its safe to close this now. The damage on Belles has bee unchanged for as long as ive been playing, and you are the first to ever complain about it.
Not gonna happen, sorry.

Thread Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.