Rejected Multi Hunter of the month

Would you like to see this idea implemented into the game?

• Yes

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 61.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Diggo11

How do you know if someone is using multiple accounts on the same world?
Similar usernames (often in the same town), similar writing styles in telegrams, sometimes backed up by similar levels, medals, gear between players. If an account is a push account one will have a high duel level whilst the other will have a very low duel level. And for the mods - same IP, login times, IP location, etc.

DeletedUser15169

well I sure would not oppose having an extra medal. As for me I already report all the multis I find and for sure know they are a multi. You do have to be careful though, cause somtimes the are several people in a family that play but do write differently, come on at different times, and write differently.

DeletedUser

I haven't been on the lookout lately, and not really ever. But I've reported a couple of guys for multi-accounts. It wouldn't bother me to receive a medal for nailing a multi.

DeletedUser1105

I'm sorry, but this is abusable...if everyone were honest, I wouldn't have a problem...but people would definitely report people for horrible reasons. Derek...you obviously trust people more than I do...;)

You have to remember, people don't get banned just because they have been reported. The in-game staff have an excellent tool they use when someone has been reported. And as I said earlier, people who abuse the report system would be punished.

Diggo11

This idea has been moved to Development Discussions. It shall be discussed for a week then voted on. Voting begins January 27.

DeletedUser

I wouldn't be worried about innocent people being banned because of it so much as IGMs being so overwhelmed with false reports that they miss a lot of those they should find. As it is, there are already many people reported who are not breaking any rules (at least that can be detected), but rewarding people for reporting people just for the sake of reporting someone would make it ridiculous.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of people who report responsibly being rewarded. Maybe it could be done on a point system - a medal for a certain number of reporting points, but a loss of points for every false accusation?

DeletedUser

Maybe it could be done on a point system - a medal for a certain number of reporting points, but a loss of points for every false accusation?

That is a great idea, because you could see who's the most accurate multi hunter, and also avoid abuse

DeletedUser16008

Im curious and seeing as your discussing this openly id like an answer to a question lots of players ask....

How do you not fall foul of the multi rule when sharing an IP with say your partner or housemates or family :unsure:

I've had numerous players ask me in chat what they can do to avoid this problem even when banned and they never receive a straight answer.

If two housemates for instance are both playing on the same IP and keep to the rules re dueling etc yet are banned how do they prove whether they are multi or not ? it seems impossible if both are playing regularly.

Now I know the majority are going to be real multi and I don't have a problem with them being banned but what about the genuine players who play together etc ?

Maybe it would be better to just state you cant play more than 1 account on 1 IP

It seems having a prize for multi hunters is fine but if indeed they are doing their job I fail to see how innocent parties are not going to be caught in the net.... even more if theres a competition..

PS don't infract me for being off topic or bringing up a taboo subject as this thread already is not the kind of thing to be discussed with players in general surely. This is a a serious question that no one has been given a proper answer to ever since I started playing, its time someone did.

thanks

DeletedUser

How do you not fall foul of the multi rule when sharing an IP with say your partner or housemates or family
My wife and I play from the same IP, even in the same town. We have been doing so from the start of W10 without any problems.
Just do not duel each other or use one account to push the other in any way. How this fits in with a multi account where all the accounts is used for various roles in a town I do not know.

But there are ways to spot the difference between more than one player from the same IP and a multi. Diggo11 mentioned some of them.

DeletedUser

Derek,
By your name I assume you are born in 1982. Then you might be too young to know about organisations like Stasi, Securitate, etc. Look them up.

Even though I fully understand the problem with multi-accounts and agree that it is cheating, I always get a very bad taste in my mouth when players brag about getting others banned (for whatever reason). If they, as you do, go as far as wanting to be rewarded for it, I shake my head in disbelief. Such a system would have all the prerequisites to end up as something similar to the organisations I mentioned (in a 'the-west' context). It would be very corruptive, in several senses of the word.

Leave the hunting of players to the in-game mods, and if you have any hand in getting a player banned, have the decency not to brag about it.

Also, even the mentioning of in-game bans is against the forum rules*. I once got an infraction for just mentioning a ban in passing. Perhaps that should be applied to players who brag on the forums about getting others banned.

*Any reference to IG (In Game) Bans, Ban discussion (forum or IG) or cheating is forbidden.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Entirely agreed with you, D.Saint. But I would get them banned if they were attacking my town in team of 5 or 6.

If they bother you, I think you have to get them banned. In fact I did it a couple of times already.

I'm not proud of it, but not ashamed. It's just normal.

DeletedUser14006

If they, as you do, go as far as wanting to be rewarded for it, I shake my head in disbelief.http://forum.the-west.net/announcement.php?f=2

I introduced this idea originally, not for players to be rewarded with a medal but maybe a small gesture, like 5 nuggets.

I could not care less about receiving a reward, so I think you have got me all wrong in that sense.

This is more about raising the issue of cheating and ways of combatting it.

DeletedUser

Superoman and Derek,
I would say that anyone is entitled to report players to the in-game authorities if subjected to cheating, even though I think one should be hesitant to do so (I would be very hesitant myself, though I wouldn't rule it out). That is not why I object.
But to give out any kind of reward for it (with nuggets being far worse than anything else since they represent real money), would be nothing but corruptive. I really hope it will never happen.

I am sure that the in-game mods have the skills and tools needed to find cheaters, without being swamped by players trying to get a reward..

DeletedUser

Superoman and Derek,
I would say that anyone is entitled to report players to the in-game authorities if subjected to cheating, even though I think one should be hesitant to do so (I would be very hesitant myself, though I wouldn't rule it out). That is not why I object.
But to give out any kind of reward for it (with nuggets being far worse than anything else since they represent real money), would be nothing but corruptive. I really hope it will never happen.

I am sure that the in-game mods have the skills and tools needed to find cheaters, without being swamped by players trying to get a reward..

I said I was totally on your side on this one. If you want to bring chaos to TW, apply this.

Public Inquisition will begin, and everyone will denounce anyone to get a chance of winning the prize.

At the end, the support will even loose all is efficacity, good denunciations sunk in random ones...

DeletedUser

Why should one ever feel bad about reporting someone breaking the rules?

I play this game fairly , and for what it's worth I pay for my advantages ( premium ). It's not fair to yourself , or the rest of the community to turn your head when you see blatant cheating.

say you get front row seats to a concert or a sporting event , have an amazing view, having a great time and this guy comes from out of nowhere and stands right in front of you , blocking your view. Now he is getting a much better view than you , and you know damn well he paid half the price and don't belong there. You going to get security?

a pretty extreme comparison , but you get my point.

Diggo11

Also, even the mentioning of in-game bans is against the forum rules*.
You may mention a player is banned, this information is publicly viewable on their IG profile. However, you may not speculate as to why, when, etc.

Skills - yes ;)
Tools - yes ;)
Time - no :p
D Saint I believe you have misinterpreted the idea. It is not to simply reward players for swamping the team with support tickets. It is more to do with encouraging players to report genuine cheaters. I have seen an IG mod pull an all-nighter just to ban a couple of alliances built off multis. The team really does rely alot on player support, more than you'd think.

Anyway, my 2 cents. Enough from me.

DeletedUser

I wouldn't be worried about innocent people being banned because of it so much as IGMs being so overwhelmed with false reports that they miss a lot of those they should find. As it is, there are already many people reported who are not breaking any rules (at least that can be detected), but rewarding people for reporting people just for the sake of reporting someone would make it ridiculous.

On the other hand, I do like the idea of people who report responsibly being rewarded. Maybe it could be done on a point system - a medal for a certain number of reporting points, but a loss of points for every false accusation?

If our moderators get overwhelmed, we shall just need to get more :)

DeletedUser

You may mention a player is banned, this information is publicly viewable on their IG profile. However, you may not speculate as to why, when, etc.
I see. Then I think you should consider looking over the wording of that rule. As it stands now (any reference to...is forbidden), means that mentioning anything about a ban breaks the rules. I was indeed infracted for just that, there was no discussion or speculation at all, neither the post nor even the sentence was about the ban. Look it up if you'd like, it was the second infraction, out of a total of three, that I received.

D Saint I believe you have misinterpreted the idea. It is not to simply reward players for swamping the team with support tickets. It is more to do with encouraging players to report genuine cheaters. I have seen an IG mod pull an all-nighter just to ban a couple of alliances built off multis. The team really does rely alot on player support, more than you'd think.
I understand. I suppose their would be positive sides to such a system, but I am afraid that the negative ones might be much greater.

I am not thinking of the potential number of reports that might come in, what I fear is the culture such a reward system could spawn. Rewarding individuals to report the assumed misdoings of other individuals, has in my opinion an inherent corruptive effect. Do you really want a great number of players, that you have no control over what so ever and know nothing about, to search with light and candle for anything that could be perceived as cheating in order to get a medal or some nuggets?

I would not. IMO, players should report cheating because they feel it is the right thing to do. Throwing in any kind of reward would mix that feeling up with something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.