Submitted Minor Ideas #10

• Thread starter Deleted User - 1278415
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser22575

Im from Illinois now myself, while I didnt know much about the Illinois Indians. This game is about The West, and the Mississippi river dictates the Gateway to the US West begins there. I'd have to say the Sioux were more Central Northern Indians of the Dakotas... hence the name comes from the Sioux Indian name.

If you want historically accurate then the desert west was more the area of Texas Arizona, which would be the Indians of the South West.. That would be the Apache Indians. Hopefully someone who knows their Indian history better than I do can double check/correct me. I'm at 1/6th Cherokee now, as my great great great grandfather was an adopted Cherokee Indian.

Actually the Sioux were originally an eastern tribe that got pushed west by other Indians as they retreated from the white expansion.

As far as South western Indians there were many...

the Navajo, Pima, Pueblo to name a few plus the tribe that scared the daylights out of the Apache...the Yaqui Tribe.

DeletedUser

The Sioux were an eastern tribe? Where were they from originally? How far east?

More pertinently, were they an eastern tribe during the time of this game? No.

And of course, the Indians pushed each other around before the white men came too.

P.S. The Sioux weren't a single tribe; there were actually nine different Sioux tribes, though they were all related of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If you want historically accurate then the desert west was more the area of Texas Arizona, which would be the Indians of the South West.. That would be the Apache Indians.

Apache were more New Mexico and Arizona than Texas. Texas was more Comanche than anything else.

Deleted User - 1278415

Apache were more New Mexico and Arizona than Texas. Texas was more Comanche than anything else.

I forgot about the Comanche, who were feared among other Indian tribes. I remember watching on the history channel about the real Lonesome Dove cowboy story, that they didn't want to cross into Comanche territory with cattle herds. Cowboys would take precautions to skirt the edges of Comanche territory as much as possible.

Here is a link to a lot of Indian tribe locations. Note it is a large image LARGE INDIAN MAP

So what is the consensus... what should the Indians of the West be called Sioux, Apache or Comanche? Remember the Indians we are renaming are the Soldier character class.

DeletedUser

i saw that too one guy went to look at the land ahead and gets attacked but with his repeating rifle he fended them off for a while then got his and was stuck to use only his pistol and lived and his friend came and saw tried to save him and they got to a doctor and the guy died in that place

DeletedUser22575

I forgot about the Comanche, who were feared among other Indian tribes. I remember watching on the history channel about the real Lonesome Dove cowboy story, that they didn't want to cross into Comanche territory with cattle herds. Cowboys would take precautions to skirt the edges of Comanche territory as much as possible.

Here is a link to a lot of Indian tribe locations. Note it is a large image LARGE INDIAN MAP

So what is the consensus... what should the Indians of the West be called Sioux, Apache or Comanche? Remember the Indians we are renaming are the Soldier character class.

Well in this time frame after the civil war all three of those tribes were still fighting against the soldiers as a whole instead of being soldiers.

Maybe you need a "tame friendly" tribe that worked with the soldiers scouting for them and fighting with them against those tribes.

Crow, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

There were Sioux wars off and on; sometimes they were fighting, and sometimes they weren't. But the last Sioux war ended in 1877.

The Apache under Geronimo, on the other hand, fought on until 1886.

I don't know when the Comanche were subdued, but I'd say they would be the most intimidating of the three, if that's what we want for that character. But I wasn't there, so I don't pose that as a fact, but as my personal opinion. Even in the Old West, people were probably divided on that.

Now a lot of the jobs in the game (picking sugar cane, for example) could have been done in eastern Texas, but not in the northern plains or the Arizona region. But then Texas doesn't have tall mountains, and as far as I know there aren't that many opportunities to trap beaver and do other mountain jobs. Or maybe they do have beaver in eastern Texas; I don't know, since I'm (sadly) not a Texan myself. But if we chose Texas as the location for the game, rather than the northern plains or the New Mexico/Arizona region, it might fit better with the rest of the game. In which case, the Indians would probably be Comanche.

Deleted User - 1278415

you know maybe we are looking at this from the wrong angle.

Maybe instead of a tribe name replacement... we should just call the solider male/female a "Warrior" instead of "Iroquois".

DeletedUser28116

you know maybe we are looking at this from the wrong angle.

Maybe instead of a tribe name replacement... we should just call the solider male/female a "Warrior" instead of "Iroquois".

Have to agree with Tuttle on this. "Warrior" is not gender specific and matches the lines by which other characters are named/classed.

DeletedUser

Have to agree with Tuttle on this. "Warrior" is not gender specific and matches the lines by which other characters are named/classed.

Though in the time and culture of the old West, "warrior" would definitely have been gender specific. Just like "cavalryman." Which is not to say that we should use it in a gender-specific way.

Deleted User - 1278415

You know if you read this take on it

http://www.sicc.sk.ca/saskindian/a89mar15.htm

It paints the picture that women er warrior women had equal or in some cases more rights than men. And so where did it go wrong??? The European white man brought about that the women should stay at home and not be warriors.

I was surprised to read this.

DeletedUser

Women were important in many Native American societies. I am not sure that they were generally warriors, although some doubtless performed brave feats in emergencies and were honored for it. But throughout history, women have been willing to fight in defense of their homes and families.

I wouldn't be totally surprised if that article misrepresents the matter slightly (and it may very well be unintentional), since it's hard to know what the past was like, and there is a lot of opinion involved in topics like this, sometimes more opinion than fact (think "politically correct"). Of course, I don't claim that my knowledge is perfect either.

DeletedUser

a brave(male) and a squaw(female) to be exact

A squaw is not a warrior, and the squaw is already the female Indian adventurer. If the female Indian adventurer were to be renamed "Indian" and the female Iroquois soldier "squaw", it would reopen the PC-ness debate on "squaw", and there would be some resentment from female Iroquois who are duelers or fort fighters.

DeletedUser

So to be precise, the character could be called 'Native North American Military Female/Male Combatant' or NNAMFC NNAMMC....

Warrior seems the best choice

DeletedUser

So to be precise, the character could be called 'Native North American Military Female/Male Combatant' or NNAMFC NNAMMC....

Warrior seems the best choice

And the fact that "Native American" is considered PC is also complete and utter crap. "America" and "India" are European labels for geographic regions. Neither one is any more accurate than the other. "We conquered your lands, as consolation we'll call you by the name we gave the land instead of a land on the other side of the globe."

Apaches don't call themselves Apache either for that matter, would it be wrong to use the term?

Status
Not open for further replies.