Minor Idea: Eliminate the Hide Button

DeletedUser

HideButton.png

Idea title: Eliminate the Hide Button
Details of idea: The Hide Button pops up from time to time when interaction with the server is slow. When this interaction is at its slowest, we are asked to interact with the server even more. I forget why this is a good idea. Instead of calling the Hide Button, I propose you call a Hiding Button and the function that is called when a player clicks the Hide Button.
Visual Aid: Hiding instead of Hide
Reasons for submitting: Having to interact with the server when interactions are at their slowest seems very counter-productive to me. I reviewed the ideas already submitted and did not see this idea there.

DeletedUser34315

Yeah, no. I like that button. When i load up the west on IE(Trust me, if chrome or FF was an option...) at work, it will almost always stop at 246/247 loaded, and when i bump spacebar to recenter the map, it will load the map indefinitely until i click hide. The button has a definite purpose.

DeletedUser

Please note ... I never suggested that the button does not perform a function. I stated quite clearly that it launches a function. I'm simply saying at some point a function launches the Hide button. I am simply suggesting - instead of launching the Hide button, launch a Hiding button AND launch the function that is called when we click on the Hide button. Simply skip a step. Please read the ENTIRE entry before commenting.

DeletedUser

To be perfectly honest, I have no idea what your idea is all about as it doesn't make sense. You just want to change the name of it? Or remove server interactions by renaming it? Or remove server interactions by changing the name of the tab that provides a function that you would like to hide by pressing a button that says hiding?

EH?

If you want constructive support, make it clear what you are actually doing and why please.

DeletedUser19518

I never used that buttons and tbh never understand what they mean. :p

DeletedUser34767

I like the Hide button the way it is and have to use it at least once a day when the progress bar stops between 90 and 100 percent.

DeletedUser34315

Please note ... I never suggested that the button does not perform a function. I stated quite clearly that it launches a function. I'm simply saying at some point a function launches the Hide button. I am simply suggesting - instead of launching the Hide button, launch a Hiding button AND launch the function that is called when we click on the Hide button. Simply skip a step. Please read the ENTIRE entry before commenting.

Still, it would remove a useful function- sometimes when it says it is loading stuff, it actually is loading stuff, and if it automatically goes and hides it, it frequently will leave the map unloaded when recentering.
Also, i can read just fine :p
Instead of calling the Hide Button, I propose you call a Hiding Button and the function that is called when a player clicks the Hide Button.

That's about as clear and straightforward as Nostradamus' "prophecies"...

DeletedUser30224

When your browser requests the page load from the server, there are so many handshakes made for each IP connections that you wouldn't believe. One more or less interaction to the server (not even sure it is a server action as you hide the display on your client machine) wouldn't make a blind bit of difference.

This is pointless.

DeletedUser

Still, it would remove a useful function- sometimes when it says it is loading stuff, it actually is loading stuff, and if it automatically goes and hides it, it frequently will leave the map unloaded when recentering.
Also, i can read just fine :p

That's about as clear and straightforward as Nostradamus' "prophecies"...

It isn't clear because you don't do any coding/programming. Currently, when there is a delay / when the download of data times out, the software calls / activates a function. That function posts the Hide button on your screen. Then you click on the Hide button and the system progresses to the map display. I am simply proposing that this step be skipped. Instead of posting a Hide button on the screen, simply post a notification that says Hiding and move to the map without requiring the player to click the Hide button.

Ounces lead to pounds just as grams lead to kilograms. The logic that 'one less handshake is insignificant' is seriously flawed when multiplied by tens of thousands of players multiplied by several times each day. That mindset never produces anything efficient ... although I'm sure it has produced some very fine football bats. :laugh:
It's not my football bat. Do it anyway you like. I simply submitted a proposal to have this portion of the software work more efficiently.

DeletedUser

Parafrog, what you just said makes sense... what you said earlier didn't. I still don't see it as being that significant, but, thank you for clearing things up :)

DeletedUser34781

its not like it takes minutes..its mere seconds..no i dont think its needed at all.we rush too much..nice to slow down

DeletedUser

I could see changing the behavior so if it hangs up for a certain amount of time it automatically hides, like if you login and walk away for a minute only to find you have to click Hide before you can do anything.

Edit: Oh yeah, and for anyone who thinks there's no issue, it's worse on some worlds than others. On w1 it hangs up with 1 item left quite often.

Deleted User - 1693871

I have to use the Hide button quite a lot, so would prefer it to be left as it is.

DeletedUser16628

Use it enough to say it comes in handy.So saying no on this.

DeletedUser30224

The main proposal was about saving loading time, but since people need the hide button, this is resolved already.

No future comments are necessary, this proposal will not be submitted.

DeletedUser

LOL, the hide button in it's current form does save people time. What I'm saying is make the hide automatic. Save people even more time. The people that say they like the hide button and want to keep it have not read this proposal at all.

DeletedUser

I think that the Hide button is just a "An error occured" signalement, just for say "Oops the game is not completely operationnal".
If it's hidden, gamers ( specially beginners) could be surprised by some stranges effects (empty map, inventory not fonctionnal...)

That's in fact the only raison for errors messages... Frustrating but essential.

DeletedUser

That is precisely why I said 'there should be a Hiding notification'. Another thing that is there and easy to read.

DeletedUser35533

more info is unnecessary.
making it auto would negate the purpose and you would just end up with half loaded windows.