Limit backpack - idea/suggestion

Noobmic

Based on today post on dev blog ( http://devblog.the-west.net/?p=617&lang=en ) that has referral to limiting backpack number of items I come with this idea/suggestion because there are some collectors in the game (including me, check signature to see my inventory) that worked hard for what they have and before something is implemented and then we start creating topics because is not fair I suggest to discuss it. (maybe is good that this topic to be in Saloon if yes please someone move it).

Proposal
Limit backpack (number of items that a player can have in inventory and can equip wherever they are on the map) to 500 (I say 500 because it seems a fair number, but we can discuss it).
Add warehouse that will be a building that can be build in every town.

Current Workaround
Now you can have in your inventory how many items you want, no limitation.

Details
Number of items in Inventory will have a limit (my proposal is 500).
Warehouse will have max level 10 and will allow you to store items or retrieve your items from it. For each deposit/retrieve it will cost a fee that will be dependent on building level.
You also can access warehouse from other towns with max fee if you deposit/retrieve an item.
You will have a new premium feature that says give me this item in inventory from warehouse at a price of 10 nuggets.

Abuse Prevention
None that I can think of. The idea is that when is coded to be sure that only you can get from warehouse your items.

Visual Aids
if someone has good design skills can help here :)

Summary
Add backpack limit and add a new building to store items.

Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes/No
Does this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? Yes/No

DeletedUser22575

In other words you want to try and get around the back pack limit the devs might set by setting a limit so high that there would be no purpose for the devs to impose one..

or in case the limit is not high enough to create a new building in town for you to store stuff. If these limits are due to keeping coding requirements down both would be sort of self defeating to the devs purpose would they not be?

From the dev blog...

"This has technical reasons because of the amount of items per player to store them in database and this has game design reasons we want more interaction between all players. I have to say that we are in an early state of ideas about that, but we know that many peoples are collectors. We plan to introduce some kind of collections so if you found any item it will be saved as found and you can sell this item. If you found every item of a kind for example all woolly hats you will receive an achievement for it and maybe some kind of bonus. I personally hope that this is a good solution for everyone but i need your feedback so we can discuss on this."

I see a difference between feedback to them and trying to do an end run around them here...

No to this.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

For those who don't know... Because of new game features that are coming into the game (crafting as one of them), the backpack space will be limited. Devs didn't decide yet how the things will work and expect our feedback.

Noobmic, you've already seen my suggestion on the devblog so I won't copy it here.
But your idea is also fine with me so I say yes.

DeletedUser

NOOBMIC you just forgot add Joxer idea about let your items from warehouse to any town member or just any member!!!

Noobmic

@kernelru - you are partially right, I didn't forgot, is just an extension to warehouse. One idea that can be borrowed from another game that I play is "guild inventory" that can apply here as Town or alliance inventory, where:
- every member can add items to town/alliance inventory and tag them;
- only town/alliance leaders can remove one item tag;
- every member that has rights can recall one item and use it;
is much more to say here, but I don't know if developers are interested to spend too much time (because this part is not so easy to code and has a lot of features);

This is mainly why I didn't posted initially what Joxer said.

@TJ Tuttle - do you have any programming experience? You read something and you understand what you can, now in the game there is more a database architecture issue, I'm sure that for big inventories the amount of queries and execution time isn't so fine, this is why backpack must be limited. There are some actions like: market/tailor/gunsmith/general store and trader that loads all the inventory and the amount of clicks on those is medium, if warehouse is added then the amount of queries for those actions will drop meaning game speed improvement. There is enough to talk about game/database performance but not too many will understand it :)

Red Falcon

I do not like any ideas about limiting space in your inventory. It's foolish and it's bad enough I have to deal with it on some other games I play. We do not need it on The West. On a scale of 1 to 10 (where 10 is best) I give this idea a 1.

Noobmic

@Red Falcon - first you should read dev blog and the entire topic not only the title. If you didn't knew the initial discussion regarding limiting backpack has at least one year when one suggestion from dev's was to decrease movement speed for those who have big inventory (for example more then 500 items your speed starts to go down and with more items you have the speed will decrease).

DeletedUser

500 is ridiculous, 100 is more reasonable, even 50 is ok. I love the idea of the "set" achievements from the devblog. I also think a warehouse is a good idea, especially with a backpack limit imposed. In lieu of a limit, I think slowing down based on inventory would be a good idea.

DeletedUser

"I don't mind loosing the money, It's losing all the stuff!" The Jerk
I'm a collector too. I want to keep my stuff!

Do new feature;
Let everybody build their own house,! you can place it wherever you want on the map, you can sell it, and by a new one. Never own more then one. It deteriorates if you do not visit it often enough. You (and only you) can sleep in it and recover health. You can tear it down, if the real-estate market around can't find a buyer. Communities would grow up around popular cities and forts, also increasing (slight) the chances of taking back a newly lost fort, decreases over time since peps move. And you can KEEP ALL YOUR STUFF securely in that house (house holds indefinite amount, back pack 30? 40?). If you sell it (tear it down) without having a new one you lose one "stuff" per hour, Etc and what not!
This way you would get "real city's" on the map. closer to "popular" sites would cost more, fringes cheaper. You could almost believe I'm in real estate! :)

If this is not implemented immediately, I vote for keeping back pack the way it is :)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser29831

Hm, my first reaction was NO. Then I read the dev-blog. Seems to me that the devs needs something to increase game speed/performance, and then you have to make trade-offs. If a limit is not implemented, will that hamper other parts of the game?
But if a limit is implemented, the space in the inventory must be big. Does anyone have a number over how many items there are in the game, separated in gear, items, products, etc? For us no-collectors, a function that could show "surplus" gear, meaning gear where you have better stats in other gears of the same category, would be welcome.

@Sweede: I think that idea would mean more pressure on the database, not less. Warehouse in town would be better imho.

DeletedUser

@Sweede: I think that idea would mean more pressure on the database, not less. Warehouse in town would be better imho.

Bahhhh! :laugh: The devs need to get bigger/faster/better computers! That's at least the answer I get at Best Buy! :D

DeletedUser

Exactly how many items do you want the warehouse to hold at level 10? If you want it to hold, say, your entire 4k, it's meaningless. I used to always think this was a bandwidth issue, but apparently it's storage. If the warehouse will hold everything you own, nothing has changed.

Personally, I don't care any more. I'm tired of arguing against inventory limits every year. I used to be a collector/hoarder, but I got tired of lagging every time I open my inventory. I've sold a lot from my largest inventory, but it's still huge. I still feel for the collectors though.

Noobmic

I posted a while ago some improvements regarding this lag issue and I was told that dev's have them in mind.

First of all they need to set at least one server that will handle static resources, in this case images and this server will be used for all game server, in this way browser can do his caching right.
Other improvement is resource packs that can be downloaded for each player. Yes I heard about copyright issues but still this can reduce a lot of server load and requests and is implemented by other big web based games.
Now with html5 for browsers that support it there is caching manifest that does a very good job regarding caching resources, for those who don't have support they still can use old code.

DeletedUser

What would happen if this was implemented and your inventory was full minus a spot, and you did tobacco picking for an hour, for instance? You don't get the 4 tobacco, but 1? Would that be in the job report.. just the one tobacco after an hour? Or do you get a notice saying that you can't fit anymore stuff as a separate report? Or no notification whatsoever?
Dedicated server sounds good, even though I I haven't the faintest..

Noobmic

good point @Kengur. In other games if you don't have space then you don't get drop, or if you have only one space then you receive only one drop.

DeletedUser563

there goes another plan of mine out the window. what if you wanted to own the entire inventory.:p . why dont they just get more server space or whatever.:blink::rolleyes: Or duh let ppl buy backpacks. Say level 10 can only afford a 50 space pack. Level 120 full pack. Which means less database space and most ppl still happy.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

DeletedUser9470

i like the warehouse idea, but i dont want to pay fees to have access to my own items.

DeletedUser

good point @Kengur. In other games if you don't have space then you don't get drop, or if you have only one space then you receive only one drop.

In some you have a chance to delete something to make room before the item is lost.

Noobmic

@colehabo it is fine to have no limit, but this is killing the servers and all of us players and devs need to make one compromise for it. I will also love no limit, but how it is now the game is hard to keep it.

@Elmyr in some games there is Temporary backpack where items are stored for 24 hours, items that are given by the game are stored for 5 days. Those who are yours and have 24 hours time to stay in temporary backpack are destroyed if you don't recall them and those who are given by the game admins after 5 days they automatically go to your backpack and in case you don't have space are destroyed.

Also as you suggested in the voting topic gear sets can improve a lot the necessity of opening the full inventory.

Other idea that comes now to my mind is having a "special inventory" where you could say what items you want to be displayed, for example a real example:
- I usually open my inventory to use one cookie.

Another improvement that can be done:
A. when you open Tailor, show only items that are sold in there. And for the right side first display a button that will say "Show my items", when you press show my items you will see 3 tabs:
-> Pants;
-> Headgear;
-> Shoes;
-> Clothing;
how is now when you open inventory, but only those 3 tabs because at tailor you will find only this items and no one opens tailor and in the same time check if they have in their inventory "Precise Winchester" (just for example);
then you will see only items from one tab not all, and when you click on a tab a request will be sent to server and you will get a response with items for that tab; if is the second time when you click on a tab then items from that tab are stored in JS object and they will be simple loaded without any new ajax call;
To clarify something, when I say tab I'm referring to in-game part of the inventory, not browser tab;
B. When you open Gunsmith it will be same logic as described at point A. with the difference that now tabs will contain now only Dueling weapon and Left hand (gun)
C. When you open General store it will be same logic as described at point A. with the difference that now tabs will contain now only Neckband, Belt and Animals
The idea can be improved for Trader and Inventory , but there are still a lot of optimizations that can be done to the game.