Kill lorne bannister,medicine man

DeletedUser

i did both in 2 tries, both mirror everything:

hp, skills, stances etc just like the npcs in the mexican set.

so what to do:
1. duel them when you got less then 1k hp(else will be hard to kill em)
2. Both got a ty melee weapon, so duel them as ranged person.
3. with clothing don't take normal duel clothing, but check per item what it gives, aim and dodge aren't important at all, since you will both have the same if its 200 aim and dodge or 50 aim and dodge, so no need to buff those
4 since your ranged and he's melee focus on getting: shooting, appearance, toughness from clothing as much as possible
5 avoid at all cost getting reflex, tactics or vigor for clothing, since these skills will only make the opponent stronger

finally they both got a weak tomahawk, so if you really can't be ranged, even with a golden sabre you will easily smash him since you do twice as much damage as him per hit with it! but remember make sure your appearance is much higher then your tactics, thats the only skill that really makes a difference since aim and dodge don't,

you can always do a test battle for instance, doing stances 4 times to hit right arm, and dodging 3 times to the left and once to the right to see the difference in damage(also due to higher appearance you tend to hit more then him)

DeletedUser

Zeta has the right idea. But for me Lorne Bannister is a Ranged dueler, so setup as a Melee dueler with your best Melee clothes, and it should work out.

DeletedUser

I killed medicine man in 9 tries, doing 5500 damage; the stranger was even harder 17 tries and 6750 damage. Both wore tomahawks vs my golden colt.
I'm a noob :) should have read this post earlier

DeletedUser28116

I read somewhere that Bannister took 2,000 HP to kill and that he regenerated. I don't recall where I read this. I just fought him and did 2,078 and he didn't die. Did I miss something?

DeletedUser

I read somewhere that Bannister took 2,000 HP to kill and that he regenerated. I don't recall where I read this. I just fought him and did 2,078 and he didn't die. Did I miss something?

It's the Stranger that has 2k hp, and that's only if you don't do The list in 7 days. Lorne (and the Stranger if you did The list in 7 days) has your current hp. You had more than 2k hp so he did too. If the duel dropped you to say 1500 hp, he has 1500 hp. If you have 1 hp, like right after a KO, he has 1 hp. Unlike a lot of quest givers, you don't have to be there to duel him, so it's an easy spam challenge.

DeletedUser17351

I honestly think the fight with Lorne Bannister has changed.

I have tried him 3 times in a row, and although I haven't killed him yet, I always attack with a melee weapon and he defends with a gun! Whether I aim purely at his head or his hands, he aims head, right hand, head, right shoulder.

This is no longer a pure mirror. However, I will try reducing my HP to see if it helps. When I used my usual melee attack, he won, when I tried a proper mirror attack, I won... It's a weird one!!

DeletedUser32905

Lorne Bannister something is funky with him.

I have having no luck. Multiple times i have hit him for more dmg than what I had going into duel.

Also multi times he has killed me when i did more dmg to him than he did to me. (this was when i tried with 500hp.)

DeletedUser36927

OK - I just finished this quest and here is my experience and advice for Killing Lorne Bannister - Mirror Duel.

I put on as many Appearance points as I could and then dueled him a couple of times to determine his Stance and Weapon of choice. He always used a gun and I adjusted my Tactic Stance for better damage and dodging.
Then, I changed my gear and weapon, since he was always Ranged, I used melee. And I double checked my gear with focus on Appearance and Vigor, but avoiding Toughness and Tactics. Watch the attributes too!

Lastly - every time you duel him he will mirror your HP - so if you start with 1k damage and you hit him for 400 and he hits you for 200, you are now at 800 HP and SO IS HE!!! So the trick is you have to hit him for MORE THAN YOUR CURRENT HP. Once I was down to 350 HP - he was also at 350 HP and I hit him for over that amount, but fortunately - he hit me for less, so I survived and collected the reward! $5k so I immediately checked into the hotel :) There you go - that is what worked for me.

DeletedUser8336

I tried using your advice, and took him out at once, so thank you. I put on my fort battle outfit, so I had high aiming and dodging skills, had 430 HP, and after 2 shots he was dead with a ranged weapon, my golden gun...

OK - I just finished this quest and here is my experience and advice for Killing Lorne Bannister - Mirror Duel.

I put on as many Appearance points as I could and then dueled him a couple of times to determine his Stance and Weapon of choice. He always used a gun and I adjusted my Tactic Stance for better damage and dodging.
Then, I changed my gear and weapon, since he was always Ranged, I used melee. And I double checked my gear with focus on Appearance and Vigor, but avoiding Toughness and Tactics. Watch the attributes too!

Lastly - every time you duel him he will mirror your HP - so if you start with 1k damage and you hit him for 400 and he hits you for 200, you are now at 800 HP and SO IS HE!!! So the trick is you have to hit him for MORE THAN YOUR CURRENT HP. Once I was down to 350 HP - he was also at 350 HP and I hit him for over that amount, but fortunately - he hit me for less, so I survived and collected the reward! $5k so I immediately checked into the hotel :) There you go - that is what worked for me.

DeletedUser33585

Got my HP down to 47 - put on high Appearance gear & killed him 1st shot

Tries loads of times in the past without success - so thank you for the hints & tips

Protasov

I realize this is a very old thread, but it really helped me complete this step of the quest chain. I probably fought him 50 times, then after reading this, and making some small adjustments, killed him in 3.

njbruce

I agree with hopalonghappy. Got my hp down to under 50 and used high appearance gear. Put him away and limped home with all of 2 hp left to spare and $5k to defend...

DeletedUser38632

Very helpful thread. Seems the key is Bannister's hp mirrors the player's. So I dropped my weapons and gear and let him knock me out; instantly appear at the hotel, cancel sleep and get up with 5hp, donned my FF gear (as someone recommended) and my best duel weapon. He KO'd me a couple more times; no big deal, just cancel sleep, get up and hit him again. Third try he folded like a cheap card table.

amgtuna

Thank you - worked just fine!

warra48

I changed my weapon to a melee.
Simply repeatedly dueled him till I exhausted health and energy and it sent me back to sleep.
Cancelled the sleep, dueled him and got him first go.
After a can of spinach, I'm on my way to the final action.