Just Do It!

DeletedUser

Let's face it, we live in a "just can't do" society. When things are going easy, we don't do; when the going get's tough, the tough obtain permission slips.

We don't "just do it," because we can't. We walk to a river and look for a sign that says, "go ahead, you're allowed." Instead, we more than often find, "no wading, no swimming, no fishing, no boating or rafting, no you can't, don't even think about it." We are then held responsible for, "just doing it" and are subject to fines and/or imprisonment.

All of us are held to rules & restrictions, required to obtain permissions & permits, tasked to look, then verify, before we leap. In our daily lives we are the subject of scrutiny, held in stasis and bottled, admired, or scorned. A rule to us is not an imaginary line, but a brutal dictator subjecting us to consequence. We are forced, by society and dictums, to walk the line. Rules exist in protest to freedom.

Prejudisms impose additional "can't do" restrictions. In a mockery to enslavement, those who are subjected to these additional restrictions, forced to request permission where others need but do, are tied to a tether of excessive scrutiny and vilified for merely existing. Through societal prejudice, through birth or violation, outcasts are created. But, ultimately, we're all under the tether of scrutiny.

Nike's slogan is a call to anarchy, a casting-off of tethers and chains, a dismissal of "permission slips." Anarchy and, concordantly, Nike insists on the fundamental right to "just do it," claiming freedom as a dictum --- rather than a mere privilege.

It is easy to dismiss anarchists as mere radicals and violators of rules, particulary considering the opportunitists in Europe falsely claiming to be anarchists.* In the eyes of a society programmed to look at signs for permission, a society that waits until the light turns green despite there being no cross-traffic, it is easy to villify the nonconformist.

But, is easy the same as right? What is liberty if not the fundamental right to, "just do it?"

* The hooligans in Europe claiming the mantle of anarchism are not anarchists, but opportunists. They exploit the fact there are rules & restrictions, imposed by our governments, preventing the victims from imposing their own personal form of consequence.

DeletedUser

A call to anarchy? Hogwash! Most of the rules you have cited were put in place for the safety of others and the safety of the environment and have nothing to do with the "Just Do It" slogan/mentality. "Just Do It" simply means to go out and be something. It is not a call to arms and it certainly is not promoting you to go out and rip the mattress labels off. It has more to do with running a marathon even if you are in a wheelchair and cannot actually run. It has to do with learning to ice skate so you can play hockey.
And to answer your questions, no, easy is not always right. Easy is simply what it says, easy. I think most people will find that if you do something you should do it the right way and in the end it will be more gratifying and self fulfilling if you do. Liberty IS your fundamental right to "just do it" but not in an anarchic way. It is your right to go out and play baseball even though you can't catch. To take up ballet even though you are over weight. To go and play the guitar in a seedy bar every night and make music even though your family shuns that decision because they feel like it is a waste of time.

Be the ball! Just don't break your neighbors window!

DeletedUser

If men were angels, there would be no need for government. This "can't do it" society means that men are demons, to put it bluntly.

DeletedUser33704

Doing whatever you want whenever you want is not freedom. Freedom is everybody being able to do so without depriving others from the same choice.

And that is not easy!

DeletedUser

I think Hellstromm is just bored since D&D has been quiet lately. I'm sure he's free to be bored :p

DeletedUser

hehe, yep I am bored out of my gourd and posing raw meat to get some debate going. What's happened with this section?!? Meh...

DeletedUser22493

I read your first post some days ago, but didn't have anything to say.

But the I got into a situation that made me think about it again.

This other day, I was picking up my brother, and I drove to the skating hall. I drove the way I always drove, but then I got to a bridge where they put up 2 road cones, blocking parts of the road.
To drive back and drive all the way to the other side, would take me 30 minutes.
And the skating hall was just on the other side of the bridge.

So, my first reaction was: Dammit, need to drive back.
Second reaction was: Well, come to think about it, I could just walk over and get my brother.
Third reactions was: Why the hell are they blocking the bridge? There are no one here, no work being done on it, and no sign saying its unsafe to cross.

So I removed the cones, and crossed the bridge. No harm done.
My point here is that your very right when you say we are keenly looking for signs to tell us what to do. And we follow them without reasoning them, or even thinking why.

We're unconscious subjects of a "Don't do it, Do it our way" society, and letting others think for us.

DeletedUser9470

all of that to say nike has a good slogan???!!!!
why did i just waste my time reading that?

nike has a good slogan. - debate?
probably the best slogan in the world! - debate!

DeletedUser

Try reading a book sometime.. duuh..
A classic:

MdT0h.jpg