Just Another Horror Film

Deleted User - 819397

It was only to be expected, Arda supposed, that they'd be suspicious, but even so, it was a little galling to be practically back at square one again..."You saw everything I did the whole time we were in the car," she said lightly. "I do have a test I'm studying for, you'll find nothing but relevant notes for the class in that notebook. This little beauty is the focal point for pretty much everything I can do, and everything else is strictly defensive, promise. Doesn't even work right if it's in pen form, and I promise I'll put it back before I get in the car. Sound reasonable to you?" She sighed lightly. "Besides, I already told you, if I were to be against you, I would've done something on the road. Little pointless to wait until we're where someone else would see, right?" Hoping that'd drop the matter, she'd fall silent, following the siblings in. She got a single bed room...she didn't need it, but it'd be odd to not take it when otherwise she seemingly didn't have a place to stay...it wasn't even her car, after all. The owner didn't remember Sammy, which was in and of itself interesting...she couldn't imagine there was another place to stay around here. That might bear looking into things more later on, but for now there wasn't a lot of point in pressing the issue. At least it be worth seeing if the accommodations were good enough to actually stay, instead of just pretending...

DeletedUser13682

The Louisiana state highways were too straight, too repetitive. If it wasn't trees, it was swamplands. The boredom could drive a man to sleep if he wasn't careful. All that coffee and Markku Aro helped Mika stay awake, but he feared that if he didn't get to Saltmarsh soon, he'd disappear into the bayou in a moment of drowsiness. Fortunately, the hours passed by without incident. The old Impala never made an appearance, which was understandable. These roads called for especially spirited driving, something his old C-10 would not be too keen to accomodate if Mika ever felt inclined to such desires. His radio picked up no more transmissions from the mysterious source, nor did his contact make another call. Mika entered the small town of Saltmarsh as in the dark as the coming night.

Saltmarsh itself was an old, semirural town, successfully fighting off the modernization that was slowly transforming this country into gentrified, big box shopping outlet, cookie cutter clones. The main street had three working streetlights, and every stop light was permanently blinking red. The whole setup gave Mika an eerie feeling, one that made him glad of the 1076 under his left shoulder. Mika drove around the town and got the lay of the land. The only motel in the town had two cars in it, one of them an old, black Impala.It must be the one driven by the other Hunters in the area. None of the Hunters were around; they must all be inside the place. Mika figured that any information in the place would be covered by the other hunters. He'd head over to the one place that was almost guaranteed to give even the most amateur detective information, the bar.

The local watering hole was typical for a small town; it was built entirely of wood, had a very small, monotonous selection of beer and liquor, and populated by all the town's old timers and many of their working class folks. Here was the place that rumors were spread, happenings were discussed, and where everybody knew everybody else's name. Mika didn't expect that anybody in the place would actually talk to him about anything. Small towns were a very closed society, so reluctant to let anybody in that a man could live most of his adult life in the town and still be rejected as an outsider. Mika's plan was much simpler; keep his head down, sip his nearly water suds, and listen for any talk of recent strange happenings. He'd hopefully get some nuggets that would help him out with the mysterious snippet of radio transmission and explain why the his contacts had sent him to this semi rural town in Louisiana.

DeletedUser28032

After listening to Arda's explanation Jack would exchange a single glance with his sister before then shrugging his shoulders "just checking, you can never be too careful you know" he said, and although Arda knew she was in no danger of being killed in her sleep she would still get the distinct impression that the pair would be keeping an eye on her if only to indulge their inbuilt paranoia.

Following a decidedly nervous Maria up a flight of steps and along the veranda that fronted the motel, the trio would be led to a door that after a few fumbled attempts the girl would open to reveal a surprisingly comfortable room despite the somewhat outdated decor. Against on of the side walls there were a pair of single beds with matching bedside cabinets with a small CRT TV and mini fridge on the opposite wall facing them, meanwhile straight ahead they would see a single wardrobe, a desk and chair and the door leading into a compact en-suite bathroom "this is your room, if you have any problems please ring font desk" Maria said in heavily accented English with a look on her face that seemed to pray that they wouldn't find any problems with the room. After handing Jack a room key that came complete with a plastic flamingo shaped key ring Maria would then lead Arda to the next door room and likewise open the door to reveal a room that was identical in style and decor as the previous with the exception of it being slightly smaller and having only one bed inside. No sooner had she given Arda her key along with the same seemingly rehearsed message about ringing the front desk with any problems she would practically flee after nervous bidding them to enjoy their stay "Now is it just me...or did she seem a little squirrely to you?" Jack asked once the girl was out of sight before then entering his room to take a closer look around.

============================

(OOC: Hours? You were only ten miles away!?)

Although the room didn't fall silent upon his entrance, like those old Wild West films, there was the briefest of pauses as those inside turned to look at the newcomer before returning to their beer and conversation. The bar was ran by a large guy with a beard who seemed to have got the strong silent type down to a tee as he silently cleaned a set of glasses from where he stood behind the bar. The waitress on the other hand seemed to be the permanently cheerful type, happily chatting to the regulars and even offered Mika a bubbly smile as she set his beer down in front of him.

Most of the conversation going on around him seemed to be the usual kind you got in bars up and down the country; people complaining about their work, the economy and how the local sports teams were faring, all of which was being said over the back drop of an old jukebox in the corner playing what were mainly old country and western songs or the blues. It was in amongst all of this small town normality that he would finally hear a young couple sitting in the corner talking about the missing girl and how the sheriff still hadn't found any sign her. Although it was possible that they were talking about Sammy, after all she would fit the general theme of the conversation, by the way they were talking Mika would get the distinct impression that they were talking about a local girl

Deleted User - 819397

The room was standard enough, though Arda was glad she wouldn't be spending the night. Maria acting terrified throughout the simple process of showing them rooms was offputting enough she didn't want to stick around here any later than she needed to. It seemed Jack had the same idea, as he inquired as to her thoughts on the maid after she was out of earshot. "Yeah, something's off. If not for the circumstances behind us being here I'd guess a boss who's too strict to be kind to his staff, but as is...might be worth pressing." She shrugged. "Still not a people person, I'd probably just scare her more. In the meantime I can try to see if Mr. Head of House is lying about having seen Sammy, or at least not telling the whole truth. "No one like that is staying here" doesn't mean she didn't at some point, yeah? I'll just need some space in the parking lot to get that set up, and preferably someone to watch for anyone watching me, if possible. I need to be, uh, focused, for something like what I'm thinking of trying. Wouldn't ask if not for the tension in the air..." a shudder. "So, uh, yeah. I'll get on that unless there's something you need me to do first?"

DeletedUser28032

"Oh don't worry I'm sure Jack here would be more than happy to speak to the young chica, wouldn't you Jack?" Cassie crooned in a teasing voice as she set her bag down upon one of the beds "...In fact chatting up pretty young girls is kind of his speciality" she continued with a grin as she produced a laptop from out of her bag, it's lid covered in stickers and doodling, most of which appeared to band names as well the obligatory "Anarchy" symbol, so that it look more like the property of a rebellious teenager than a twenty something year old "Alright knock it off Cass, you see what you can dig up on the town whilst I take Sabrina here downstairs to do a little hocus pocus" Jack said before beckoning Arda to follow him, grumbling something about brat sisters just under his breath as he went.

With his sister busily searching the web from the comfort of her bed Jack would meanwhile find a secluded spot in the motel's car park in which Arda could perform whatever ritual she had in mind, with such a spot transpiring to be in the back corner behind a pair of dumpsters that would obscure them from view unless you walked right up to them. After a quick glance through the windows of the nearby rooms to confirm that they were indeed empty Jack would turn to Arda "alright, do what you gotta do...I...um...take you have everything that you need? Because I'm fresh out of candles and chickens blood" he said with a smirk before finding a spot from which he could keep watch.

====================

Sitting within the local bar, Mika would find his train of thought suddenly interrupted by the sound of a pair of glass being placed on the table in front of him with the pretty waitress he’d seen earlier pushing one towards him “You’re not from around these parts are you?” she asked with a smile as she took the seat opposite him, though judging by the way she continued speaking before he had chance to reply it must have been a rhetorical one “…you don’t have the look of a local, and I know all the local delivery drivers, so what brings you to this neck of the woods?”

DeletedUser13682

(OOC: He got lost? I misread the distance. Though he was still hours away.)

The bar never went totally silent. Those kinds of things didn't happen in real life. But the bar patrons did get noticably quieter after Mika stepped inside. The cliques remained closed, the bartender kept silent, at least the waitress was friendly, even if it was just an act. At least the beer was cold, even if it wasn't farmhouse ale. It was good enough to put down, but Mika would never serve it to any family, or friends, or acquaintances, or strangers even. Mika managed to find a somewhat central spot at a tall table, where he could hear most of the muted conversations in the small bar. The patrons weren't actually talking about any interesting topics; just the usual subjects of economy (it always seemed to be on the downturn), jobs (they never seemed to pay enough), local sportsball scores (of course the Hometown Sports were the best team ever), and other myriad conversations. Mika sipped his suds quietly as the conversations changed. There wasn't a single mention of anybody from out of town, and the only mention of a missing person was a local girl. It seemed that this place would turn out to be a dead end. Before Mika could resign himself to retiring for the night, and trying again the next day, he was joined by the waitress. She placed a glass down in front of him containing some sort of liquid, probably a whiskey based off of the color. "I come from Michigan. Michael Johnson. You?" he asked, before downing the glass in front of him. Definitely whiskey, Tennessee. "I am traveling America to write down stories. Specifically, strange occurances and the like, though any stories are appreciated. I have arrived here for a few days to gather any such tales."

DeletedUser28032

The waitress had strawberry blonde hair that was held in a loose ponytail and a spattering of freckles across her nose that seemed to highlight her emerald green eyes causing Mika to question whether she was actually old enough to be drinking the whisky in her hands "nice to meet you Michael, I'm Daisy I used to live just outside of Baton Rouge until my folks died in a car crash, my cousin Ryan was nice enough to take me in" she said nodding her head in the direction of the barkeeper before dropping her voice to a whisper and leaning in ever so slightly as if to impart a secret "if he starts glaring at you don't worry about it, he's like...super protective of me for some reason, but he's a pussy cat really" she said with a giggle before leaning back in her chair once again and taking a sip of her drink.

At Mika's mention of him hunting for strange stories with which add to his book there would be a brief frown of concentration on her face before she replied "sorry, unless you want hear old ghost stories about Gator-men living in the bayou or ghosts in the old Vanderbilt house I can't really help you" she said, looking slightly disappointed that she wasn't able to furnish him with any tales of horror "you could always try the town museum they'd know about any strange stories from hereabouts...or that reporter, she was asking all the locals about strange sightings and the like, I'm pretty sure she said she was staying in the old boarding house, though I haven't seen her in a couple of days" she said before finishing her drink and getting back onto her feet "I should probably get back to work, but hey, holla if you need anything"

Deleted User - 819397

A few minutes was all it took to find a reasonable location to work with, though Jack’s comment about chicken blood would get him a sour look from Arda. “Anyone using materials like that is either a charlatan or horribly inefficient. Give me just a moment...”. She frowned at her staff before muttering to it briefly. Several runes on it lit up momentarily before spewing a chalky substance on the ground in an intricate pattern. “Saves set up time...” she muttered, more to herself than anything. She then poked her staff, prompting a hidden compartment to open halfway up it. Without hesitation, she reached into the staff up to her elbow, way too far to be logical, before pulling out a couple crystals, which she tossed haphazardly around the circle. “Ok. Got the nexus, got the power, staff is the focus...” she sighed. “What I’m going to do is simple to explain, if not to do. I’m going to look into the past. I’ll only have vision of what I could see from here, so just the parking lot, really, and I can’t promise anything about how far back I’ll be able to go since this kind of thing isn’t exactly my strong suit, but I’m hoping I’ll get back far enough to see if Sammy was here or not. I know the description you gave the guy inside, and I can’t imagine this place gets much business...” Arda frowned at the circle before altering a line. “The issue is I won’t be able to see, hear, or any sense anything that’s happening here while I’m doing it. Why I need you to be watching. If there’s an emergency break the nexus. Just rub out any portion of the outer line. It’ll give me a headache but that’s better than me getting attacked. Ok. Let’s get this over with.”

So saying, she planted her staff in the center of the nexus, leaving it hovering a couple inches off the ground, her gaze becoming unfocused as she started peering back into the past. At best she’d manage a week, at worst this would be a waste of time at a couple hours. Some of the vets could do a century, but they’d had far more time to practice. And besides, this wasn’t what she was good at, the more ritualistic side of things. Still, this was probably the only way she’d be able to help them for now, and anything she could pass on to Jack and Cassie could be helpful...or at least, she hoped so...

DeletedUser28032

As Arda's spell took effect and she descended into the past she would notice that her surroundings would take on an almost ethereal texture like it all simply made up of coloured mist and could be scattered by a single deep breath. From where she was stood she was able to watch the comings and goings of the motel and it's visitors though would frequently find herself cycling forward over the endless hours where she had only the clouds overhead to keep her occupied. After watching the arrival of several deliverymen and a couple that were obviously having an affair it would appear that the man had been telling the truth and that Sammy hadn't stayed here, and it was just as she was planning to end the spell that she would finally spot her.

Dressed in a smart business suit, Sammy would climb out of a black Honda with Michigan plates and walk over to the main entrance only to practically run into the maid; Maria in the doorway with the pair of hurriedly apologising to one another with embarrassed smiles before then beginning a conversation. Although she was unable to hear what the pair were discussing, Maria was obviously nervous as she reluctantly answered Sammy's questions. After around twenty minutes of this it was clear that Sammy was satisfied with what she'd learnt and so bid the young Hispanic girl goodbye before climbing back into the Honda and driving away leaving Maria to carry on walking in the opposite direction.

Despite continuing to watch Arda wouldn't catch a single glimpse of Sammy or her car again, though Maria started to look decidedly jumpy in the days that followed their meeting.

Deleted User - 819397

With a labored sigh, Arda let the spell drop. "I just love half-truths," she grumbled before beginning to clean up the circle she'd made. "Long story short, Sammy was here, just a little while ago, relatively, anyway. Day or two ago. Didn't stay the night so the owner didn't lie, but she did talk with Maria. No sound with the spell, and I'm not a lip-reader, so no idea what they talked about, but Maria didn't look happy talking about it, and got to her jumpy self after the fact, not before." She shrugged. "Don't think we'll get anything out of the owner, he likely truly knows nothing, and I can tell you right now I couldn't get anything related out of Maria, nowhere near enough people skills. Maybe your sister can turn on the charm though?" She straightened, groaning. "At the very least whatever's going on, it doesn't appear to be attuned to magic. Or at least not my kind, anyway. That spell would've been kinda like a beacon to anything sensitive to it, why I had you on lookout." A half grin played across her face. "Don't get sour on me, you're the expert monster hunter, yeah? I'm the apprentice. On multiple levels, really." She frowned, then looked to her staff, muttering briefly, prompting a couple sigils to light up in yellow. "Speaking of apprentice, that caused more strain than it should have...I'm going to need to do some tuning before I do much else, so unless there's something you'd like me to do now, I should probably see to that..."

DeletedUser28032

So Sammy had been here, albeit briefly, which was a start and it would appear from what he'd just been told that she had spoken with the maid meaning that they now had a lead to follow. All in all Jack was rather satisfied with the outcome of this little endeavour. What he wasn't quite so happy about was learning that he'd been expected to fend off supernatural entities with nothing but his wits and the Colt 1911 in his jacket "You still could have warned me!" he grouched, giving a disbelieving shake of his head at her comment concerning him being the "master monster hunter" "...had I known what you was planning I would have made sure to grab something...besides what do you mean Cassie could turn on the charm? You have met her right?" he asked whilst starting to head back towards his motel room.

Meanwhile overhead the sky was beginning to get decidedly dark as the day rapidly wore on leading them to suspect that they wouldn't doing much more this night. With any luck they'd be able to chase up the leads they had and figure out what the hell was going on and how to stop it.

Deleted User - 819397

Arda scowled slightly as Jack berated her about warning him that he needed to pull security detail. "I told you you needed to guard me, didn't I? Or watch me, or...the intent was there. Could've been clearer, yeah, but it wasn't no warning." As for her Cassie comment. "Look, I'm obviously not upset or angry about this, but your sister's either a vampire or the best actress I've ever seen. Aren't they supposed to have some sort of seduction powers or something? Not, uh, like actual seducing, but...getting people to do what they want, right? So if Hotel Guy isn't going to tell us, her doing that to Maria might get her to open up. Or something, I don't know, just throwing ideas out, yeah?" She sighed, grumbling a little as she followed her temporary guardian back to the hotel. "You need me for anything else, or am I good to rest?"

DeletedUser28032

Upon hearing Arda uttering the "V" word Jack would round on the girl "Why don't you say that a little louder, there are people on the other side of the street that didn't hear you!" he said in a fierce whisper that said that he was less than impressed by her lack of discretion "...as far as I'm aware, no, she can't mesmerise people, but she can screw your head off like bottle top so I suggest you keep that little piece of information to yourself...there's at least one other hunter in town and I'd sooner not to have to hide anymore bodies" he continued before heading back towards the motel. He would slowly count to ten before speaking again so as to give himself chance to calm down, deciding that although the girl was careless and lacking in subtly she wasn't dangerous...or at least not yet "No, rest up...I'll see what I can learn from Maria and we'll take it from there" he said, quietly hoping that A) Maria actually knew something worthwhile and B) she spoke more English than her little spiel about the rooms as he'd flunked Spanish along with most of his other high school subjects.

He would have to warn Cassie when he got back to their room and hope she didn't take the news that Arda knew what she was too badly as it was rapidly approaching her time of the day and there would be very little he could do to stop her if she took it upon her to silence any wagging tongues herself, damn it Arda, but your timing sucks!

Deleted User - 819397

"Look, I'm lugging around a full sized staff, you think anyone's going to take anything I say seriously?" Arda responded testily, more than a little annoyed at herself for having not thought of her volume. In a softer voice, she added, "look, I'll admit I didn't know it was that big of a deal, alright? Not the first time I've run into one, not one has ever been violent towards me. If that's out of the ordinary, I'll take that under consideration., and I'm sorry for speaking out of turn. Seriously though, is it really that unusual? I'm used to there being a few walking around almost all the time. Weird." Even so, it seemed as though they were wrapping up for the evening, with Jack giving her the all clear for the evening. "Sounds good to me. I'll plan to be up at six. G'night!"

Once back in her room, Arda would waste no time in throwing her staff on the ground with an unintelligible word, prompting it to start spinning, a facsimile of a clock spinning backwards at a pace the naked eye could barely follow appearing just above it. She had a half hour to wait, might as well make the bed look like it'd been slept in. Heck, she could actually take a half hour nap while she waited, make it completely authentic...or something. Though...she should leave a way for Jack or Cassie to get ahold of her if something happened overnight...

DeletedUser28032

When the night finally fell it would fall fast, engulfing the world in an inky blackness that even the stars refused to penetrate. Aside from the sound of some muffled conversation going on in the next room there would be no further interaction between Arda and the pair of huntsmen that night, allowing her to sleep in relative peace.

Come the following morning however Arda would quickly get the feeling that something wasn't right about her room, a feeling that was soon confirmed by the sound of Cassie's voice speaking from out of the shadows "so my brother informs me you know what I am?" Cassie asked in a smooth, soft voice from where she sat on the edge of the bed, her eyes a near luminous yellow within the darkness "I must say I'm impressed, most hunters try to kill me once they put it all together, I mean I can't blame them after all as a species we have a very bad reputation but all the same...thank you" she said with a smile sliding across her face to reveal a set of white and disappointingly normal teeth "...the thing I can't quite get my head around is that my brother tells me that I'm not the first of my kind you've seen...and yet you still live, why is that do you think?"

Deleted User - 819397

Arda had returned to her room a bit before 6 to shower, a quick flash of light that revealed her presence all that indicated that she hadn't been there prior. It didn't take long for something to feel off, and after a moment of looking around the room Cassie revealed herself, commenting that she was touched that Arda hadn't tried to kill her once figuring out what she was, before asking how she'd met others like her without dying. With a wry smile, the young woman replied, "Well, my rule of thumb is to give everyone a chance, and you've been nice, why would I go out of my way to try to kill you? As for the other question..." she pulled a chain from around her neck, revealing a purple shard of some crystalline material, pulsing softly with light. I did say I'd show you something that would hopefully explain some things about me. This'd be it. Touch it, it'll do the heavy lifting. Just, uh...don't hold on for too long, I don't think there's anything bad that can happen, but you're not attuned to it so it could be problematic..." she shrugged. "It rests against my skin all the time, it'll be fine." She'd wait until Cassie had touched the shard and pulled away, smiling and tucking it back under her clothes. "So, when I say I wasn't aware of the stigma of your kind around here, I'm not saying where...you see? Different cultures, across several lines of the phrase. I'm used to it not being a huge deal so long as you don't go violent on people. Didn't think anything of it, yeah?" She grinned, then raised an eyebrow. "Any questions you have for me at this point? Happy to answer if you do, not like we have anything else going on right now."

DeletedUser28032

Despite Arda’s efforts it had been clear to Cassie’s predatory senses that the girl hadn’t slept in her room however she hadn’t quite expected her to appeared in a nimbus of light, or take her unexplained presence within her still locked room quite so calmly “that will get you killed one day” Cassie responded with a smirk at Arda’s smirk about giving everyone a chance, especially Vampires who were not commonly known for being friendly towards those they considered to be a food source. Another thing to consider was that where vampires were concerned Cassie was somewhat of an oddity. She didn’t belong to a nest and for the most part she’d managed to keep her cravings in check.

When the crystal was produced from beneath Arda’s shirt Cassie would regard it with a fair degree of wariness having dealt with more than her fair share of cursed objects since becoming a hunter with her half-brother; Jack. Cautiously taking hold of the crystal she was gasp in shock before hurriedly releasing it “what are you?” she asked suddenly finding herself concerned that she may be sitting within a locked room with a potentially powerful creature and with her brother nowhere to be found “you’re not a witch…we’ve dealt with Witches before…so what? Planeswalker? Demi-god?” she asked, tilting her head to one side as she studied the girl with those luminous yellow eyes that seemed to be completely unaffected by the dark room they were standing in.

Although she wasn’t afraid that Arda would try and kill her, after all she’d already had plenty of opportunity to do that, she was still curious to learn what exactly she was dealing with if only to be on an even standing with the girl…after all she knew what she was.

Deleted User - 819397

Arda blinked in surprise at Cassie's reaction, before bursting out laughing. "Demigod? No, no, no...imagine, me with a divine parent," she broke off, chuckling to herself. Once she calmed down a bit, though the humor was still clear in her eyes, she continued. "I'm a...well, let me put it this way. I'm a part of a group of people who keep watch over time. Um...I guess the closest thing would be Dr. Who, if I understand that reference correctly, but with a lot less gadgetry, and certainly no police boxes. The needed talents are determined at birth, and if you have the gift...you'll be contacted. We're split into two groups, more or less. The Wardens, who are more of the enforcers...if you run into one of them, you've done something that interferes with the way the timeline should have gone...and then there's the Attuners, who focus on maintenance and experimentation. I'm in the second group, myself. Pretty new at this point, admittedly. Barely far enough along to be getting a field assignment. But I've got enough understanding of how to do what I do that I'm capable of some things. When I said 'Arda' was Akkadian, I wasn't lying...but I left out that I'm, well...from the Akkadian empire. As in, when that civilization existed, a citizen of Akkad. Using a low maintenance spell for translations since I doubt anyone speaks my language anymore, and I don't speak...English, right? Blasted into what for you is the present day by the head of our group to help with this situation. Or rather, a couple weeks ago so I'd have time to learn culture and all that, alongside someone from here who helped transition. My 'test' is real too...this is it, more or less. This assignment. My performance here will reflect what I'm ready to take on next. And before you ask, no, I don't know what I'll accomplish, or anything like that...talking to future or past versions of yourself is strictly prohibited."

She smiled and shrugged. "I can't really talk more about the organization I'm a part of, they tend to frown on people learning when our headquarters is. But yeah, vampires weren't ostracized nearly as much 4000 years ago, and my tutor of this era didn't see fit to tell me. Apparently your kind have changed what you can do in that time too." Another shrug. "So yeah. I'm human. Admittedly an older one than most people walking around today, but still human. The older members of our organization could pass for demigods, I suppose. I'm...think of me as a college student in my field placement. Not inept, but still learning. And far enough along to have my own shard of crystallized time to channel with," she added with a meaningful pat at her sternum. "So, uh, yeah. That's me. Sorry if that was oversharing, I just didn't want you to think that I was all-powerful or anything, as that's just not true. I can pull my weight, just don't expect me to rapidly age whatever caused Sammy to pull the distress signal, or disintegrate it by forcing it across timelines or anything. That stuff is well beyond me."

DeletedUser28032

“So…you’re a time traveller?” Cassie said in a confused voice, quietly wondering what Jack would make of this and whether or not there was any relevant lore within the collection of journal’s and note books he carried around with him. Despite being of that particular world she still found it surprising how much research and study was required to be a hunter, or to be more accurate a hunter that didn’t killed on his first job “…well…at least I’ll have someone to talk to” she said with a sigh before realising that Arda would probably require a little context for that statement to make any sense “ Jack’s the only family I have left, he’s also the only reason why I’m not like the others…the problem is, and I don’t think Jack’s fully realised this yet, is that unless someone ganks me is that I’m immortal” she’d tried talking to Jack about it but every time she brought it up he just brushed the conversation aside with a glib comment or some naff joke. In the end she gave up trying to tell him how scared she was that he and everyone else she knew would grow old and die whilst she would forever remain twenty-five…not to mention the other side effects of her condition.

With their little chat out of the way Cassie would stretch sinuously before rising from the edge of the bed “managed to find some interesting stuff out about Saltmarsh that might hint as to why Sam was here to begin with, with any luck Jack will have learned something other than what colour underwear Maria wears and we can get on with this case” she said with a roll of her eyes that said she wouldn’t be holding her breath “Do you want to go and grab some breakfast? I’m sure there must be somewhere in this dump we can find something to eat whilst we wait for Jack to join us” she asked the time traveller, not really wanting to hang around the motel for any longer than she had to and figuring that Arda wouldn’t either. Besides although she didn’t actually need to eat, force of habit and the fact that she had to try and blend in with the rest of humanity less she wanted to wind up being chased by an angry mob with pitchforks meant that she still sometimes ate breakfast, especially if they had Blueberry pancakes on offer!

Deleted User - 819397

A shrug and a half grin followed when Cassie simplified what Arda was down to "time traveller." "Bit generic, and it's not like I'm zipping around at a whim, but in general, yeah, that's not wrong." At the revelation that Cassie was immortal, the Akkadian winced. "I'm sorry," she replied, "Immortality...isn't fun. People romanticize it a lot, but it's really not a good diagnosis for those who have it. That's one thing I'm not. Sure, I could be in twenty different locations at the same time right now, and you could see me a millennium from now, but in the end, I'm a mortal. I've got a cumulative sixty to a hundred and twenty years to live, and when that time's up, I'm gone. It's confusing, really. If I'm not killed I'll die back home to maintain the timeline...meaning it's entirely possible my corpse was used as an example of people of my era a good while ago. But here I am at the beginning of my life, almost." Arda shifted uncomfortably. "Look, I'm not saying it's a good idea, but if you only have soft immortality...you could always arrange something when you want to die. Could be in five hundred years, could be as soon as Jack is gone...or it could be never, if you acclimate. As is though...I'll see if I can't get you a pager to get a hold of me if you want to chat. Can't promise when that me would be, but it's better than nothing, yeah?"

The topic moved to something less uncomfortable, that being what Jack was up to. A more honest grin spread across Arda's face at Cassie's thoughts about what her brother might be up to. "I'm up for grabbing a bite, came back here without eating...it'd be a bit hard to explain away if I died with cuisine that hasn't been made in millennia in my stomach, and no one could get to me before a coroner." That had been a story they'd been told a few times. Don't eat period-specific food before jumping a large amount of time in either direction. People tended to ask...questions...if someone in the 37th century had a fresh 21st century IPA in their system. That had been a major headache to clean up correctly, from all accounts. "Can't say I was watching for signs on the way into town, but I can't imagine there's too many places to get food either...let's go look, yeah?"