It`s this the END?

• Thread starter DeletedUser33797
  • Start date

MFRavenhawk

There is some conflicts here between people saying duelling is dead vs have to go town less or needing protection for 12/24 hours after a battle or being near the fort.

To say that dueling is dead might depend on one's situation. If you are fairly low level on a halfway active world, if you are in a town, you are a target....and if you aren't skilled and geared to duel, you are a dead target. For myself, before I went townless, I spent more time in hotels recovering than I could on a job working it seemed....even if I wasn't ko'd I would need hotels to recover the lost HP since continuing on a job would kill me as sure as the next duel would.

On the other hand, if you are a high level player, even on the most active worlds here in .net, you are lucky to find more than 10 players in your range, luckier still if you can actually duel more than 3 of them in a day. And if you have the misfortune of needing to ko someone for a quest, good luck, because if you aren't actually a dueler, you will never kill off an opponent at that level. For those who are deulers, its almost impossible to attack an opponent without killing them off, thus making a living at dueling like the low levs can very difficult.

DeletedUser

Even in this day and age of fort fights being near vacant, it is still often impossible to get into them if you are not in the right town (townlessness is vital when you don't want to be dueled), or have the right gear, weapons and buffs....or in some cases, the leading general simply doesn't like you.

As such, players have to make due with the options available to them that guarantee alternative coin...the only things certain to push that limit is working. You cannot count on friends, since not everyone returns the coins to you, and far too many folks have their friend lists completely full...mostly with inactive players given the numbers of folks in constant vacation and how few accounts are still in existence on any given world. Even working isn't guaranteed, since it can be a full day and a half variance between worlds even working the same jobs 24/7 to get sufficient alternative coin.

And again, without working 24/7, while bonds might improve some attending a fort fight, the loss of regular income and alternative coin for the effort simply isn't worth it...unless you have the nuggets/bonds on hand to drop into every battle last second on a speed buff, which kind of defeats the point of trying to earn them for the events.

MFR, check my recent post here about how to get easily more then enough to complete basic sets in each event, without any nuggets, stress, friends or working 24/7.
https://forum.the-west.net/index.php?threads/halloween-event-2016.57290/page-2#post-759831

As for bonds, i have near 3k all the time since i only buy 600bonds alt.coin item and i buy mate tea when i reach 3k limit. Otherwise, they are not much of use.
Btw, did you know you can have more then 3k bonds now? Not sure for how long though, but over 3k numbers go red as a warning so i just spent them to get below limit again.

And your comment about how townlessness is vital against duels is just plain ignorance.

MFRavenhawk

And your comment about how townlessness is vital against duels is just plain ignorance.

It isn't ignorance when there are no longer any other methods to protect yourself against being dueled, and you get ko'd in almost every duel someone does against you....unless you are lucky enough to be online when it happens and can either hit a hotel or rebuff your health.

DeletedUser15368

There is some conflicts here between people saying duelling is dead vs have to go town less or needing protection for 12/24 hours after a battle or being near the fort.

I think duelling is dead, sadly. I quite liked going after players who used to duel my town mates. I was zmd (kept down by npc) to make sure I could protect the lower level players. This is one bit of the game I miss the most. I've been walking around in my xmas set in the center of the map for weeks - and got duelled once.

I think the loss of duelling was 2 fold. 1 killing off zmd. I sort of get why it was done - but think there could have been less damaging solutions. The other was too many tombolas - which got harder to get the sets for. Then upgrades of tombola items just made the issue worse.

You're absolutely right. Killing zmd's killed the interest in duelling as a character build for most, and tombolas killed what was left if you couldn't afford the newest upgraded gear every month.

DeletedUser

It isn't ignorance when there are no longer any other methods to protect yourself against being dueled, and you get ko'd in almost every duel someone does against you....unless you are lucky enough to be online when it happens and can either hit a hotel or rebuff your health.

yes, but you need to keep yourself KO'd and do it every 3 days. That way you keep it under control and you can make sure you never lose any cash or energy (Plus it costs only 1 energy!)

MFRavenhawk

yes, but you need to keep yourself KO'd and do it every 3 days. That way you keep it under control and you can make sure you never lose any cash or energy (Plus it costs only 1 energy!)

You arent saying anything I don't already know....in fact I have advocated that very concept for years.
However, there are times when trying to juggle getting to a town to bank and burn off energy so you can get dueled for a fresh ko and not waste anything or lose cash is simply impractical. It is a system that only works if you can time the new ko and sleep recovery to when you yourself are offline....or if you have the means to immediately rebuff and go right back to work.

Which gets back to the idea of going townless to avoid it....why waste bonds, nuggets, or even game cash on buffs to recover when you simply don't have to be dueled in the first place???

When you are strong enough to do your jobs without risk of a ko from it, spending 100 bonds or nuggets every three days to rebuff is wasted funds compared to using only 10 nuggets to bank when you choose once you get over 500k sitting in your pocket.

DeletedUser34546

To say that dueling is dead might depend on one's situation. If you are fairly low level on a halfway active world, if you are in a town, you are a target....and if you aren't skilled and geared to duel, you are a dead target. For myself, before I went townless, I spent more time in hotels recovering than I could on a job working it seemed....even if I wasn't ko'd I would need hotels to recover the lost HP since continuing on a job would kill me as sure as the next duel would.

On the other hand, if you are a high level player, even on the most active worlds here in .net, you are lucky to find more than 10 players in your range, luckier still if you can actually duel more than 3 of them in a day. And if you have the misfortune of needing to ko someone for a quest, good luck, because if you aren't actually a dueler, you will never kill off an opponent at that level. For those who are deulers, its almost impossible to attack an opponent without killing them off, thus making a living at dueling like the low levs can very difficult.

In my case, i'm now (after a long time not duelling) level 167; and a pure fort-fighter build. Walking around in non-duelling clothes, in the centre of the map. I have a bounty on my head. 2-3 years ago I would have been shot to bits for doing that. Now, barely anything. I'd actually like to be hit a few times - would give me an excuse to duel again :D

DeletedUser22685

You'll probably find that the reduction in duelling activity is roughly proportionate to the lack of game activity in general. It's just that you're aware of the fact that you don't constantly have incoming duel reports more than you notice that there are less people sharing your favourite job site.

I've always defended the updates that limited 0 mot duelling because, theoretically, if players had reacted in the way that was intended, it wouldn't have been detrimental to duelling activity in the slightest. If former 0 mots had fully embraced exp duelling, every high level dueller would have reached the duel level cap and never run out of targets.

Where I think it went wrong was that high level duellers had already grown so scarce long before those duel motivation updates came about. But I certainly don't blame the "death" of duelling on the 0 mot update. In fact, the only update affecting duel mechanics that I'd possibly attribute to the decline of duelling is the original aim/dodge formula change years ago. The rest is just in keeping with the active player trend.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser6752

It's simply the way of the world. Show someone the easiest, laziest way to do something and they'll jump on it.
Corporation wants to save money? Coming up with actual budgeting ideas is hard - just lay people off.
Government needs money to fund a new idea? Cutting funding to anything, especially their own pay raises, is too hard. Just raise taxes.
Inno wants to push too many new games at once? Pick one that has to suffer - The West - let it wither on the vine and move its resources to the new game (that's as promising as The West had been) - and see how long you can trick those addicted to it [ http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/addiction/features/video-game-addiction-no-fun ] into pouring their money into the dead end, and then when enough suckers catch on and cut the cord, kill the game and leave the 'survivors' hanging, crying, craving their fix - and hey, maybe they'll have moved on to Grepolis by then!

Oh, and don't forget - it's time to buy more nuggets for the Christmas event!!

MFRavenhawk

and hey, maybe they'll have moved on to Grepolis by then!

Heh...I got over my Grepolis fix some 3 years ago when Inno shut down World Alpha ending a nice 3 year year and $4000 investment. Between bans (caused by competing interpretation of rules) and power slamming by multiple players against sat accounts (Tribal Wars' version of vacation mode) I won't ever touch TW again, let alone even try TW2, despite once having enjoyed that game for over 5 years straight. Forge of Empires and Elvenar don't even look appealing, and the last game Inno had that could compete with my interest the way The West has was Lagoonia....a game that didn't even last two years for Inno.

Heck, even West was once just a 'distraction'....something to play between attack waits on Grep and TW. It wasn't until Inno effectively forced me away from them and Lagoonia that West became my sole gaming addiction and online investment.

DeletedUser21689

Hi everyone. When this world ends (w11) and everyone moves. Will the town your in move as well as happened the last time there was a move?

DeletedUser33353

Hi everyone. When this world ends (w11) and everyone moves. Will the town your in move as well as happened the last time there was a move?
If you migrate......you will have to hook up with all of your old townies and start another town. I think that is what you are asking.

DeletedUser

So... as a new person I am wondering if I should play at all? I see chat on Fairbanks isnt active, and im not sure what High population means as all servers say they have a high population? Any advice?

DeletedUser34781

And how overpowered range dueling is compared to melee has sucked the fun out of it . range can hit people for 760+ with buffs per head shot. if your lucky you might get a 500 shot as melee. the bonus's for range gear has gone beyond a joke compared to poor melee duelers.

DeletedUser16008

So things never did get better then ? wassis new upgrade stuff and how the heck do you get enough earpes buntines to do it ? ....

May I say after looking for an evening and reading the west has definitely run out of juice and seemed to around the time a lot of the olduns poking a quip in here and there were warning where it was going and why... id say you/we were all spot on.

was a damned cool game for a few years though and some damned cool players im happy to have known, special hi to all on this thread I know, cool to see some still here.

DeletedUser33353

So things never did get better then ? wassis new upgrade stuff and how the heck do you get enough earpes buntines to do it ? ....

May I please pick up an infraction and say after looking for an evening and reading the west has definitely run out of jizz juice and seemed to around the time a lot of the olduns poking a quip in here and there were warning where it was going and why... id say you/we were all spot on.

was a damned cool game for a few years though and some damned cool players im happy to have known, special hi to all on this thread I know, cool to see some still here.
Greetings Master Vic, great to see you are amongst the living.

DeletedUser32952

There's just too much stuff... that is too easy to get....too easy to do jobs. No real challenges anymore.

Yet I keep playing - hoping against hope

DeletedUser22685

There's just too much stuff... that is too easy to get....too easy to do jobs. No real challenges anymore.

Yet I keep playing - hoping against hope
Worse than the fact that things are getting easier is the fact that by "easier" we mean that all you have to do is just pay real money to complete them.

Alllen

I see after reading all this that The West is now on life support and the nurse has her fingers on the cord. A real shame that Inno would let this game die like they have.