Is drinking milk bad for Humans?!?!

DeletedUser

"Milk is one of the most popular beverages in the United States. We have been told it "does a body good," but some scientific studies have found that contrary to popular belief, drinking milk may do more harm to our bodies than good.

Proponents of milk say calcium and other vitamins and minerals in milk make it an important part of a healthful diet for people of all ages. They argue that milk’s benefits include weight loss, strengthening bones, improved cardiovascular and oral health, cancer prevention, and relief of PMS.

Opponents of milk argue that it contributes to obesity, calcium deficiency, allergies, heart disease, cancer, and other health ailments. They argue that claims regarding milk's benefits are merely advertising campaigns designed to promote dairy sales and that many nutritious alternatives to cow's milk exist." ProCon.org

DeletedUser

Well, come to think of it, it may be true.
For one thing, cow milk is not good for babies. Not enough Iron, too much fat and bla bla bla.
It also doesn't really increase your calsium. I would think it's because you also need vitamin D for that. Another reason why it's useless is because as I found out right now, 75% of the world's population is lactose intolerance. Though I think people who had chili would contradict me on the fact that its useless.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9470

My parents are dairy farmers and there is no doubt in my mind that milk can only be good for you.
In fact, any type of mammal milk is.

Milk contains huge amounts of lipids, proteins, salts, minerals, vitamins, and carbohydrates compared to any other type of aliments.
which is why it is the best food for newborns.

Opponents are probably trying to flog soya milk which is disgusting to say the least in every sense.

• Obesity?
    Most foods contribute to obesity, those who do not are foods that take more energy to digest than they actually give.
    Basically lettuce and dust...
    You eat a ton of pretty much anything else and you will weigh 1 ton!!! havent you ever heard the word "moderation"? ofc if milk is so rich then eating too much of it will get you fat!
  • Calcium deficiency?
    1 cup of milk=300mg of calcium
    I know this, but for those who dont know this use Google. obviously opponents to milk dont use google, or think we dont...
  • Allergies?
    seriously? what is it with rich countries and allergies?
    "ooo im allergic to work, and life, and i cant stand the smell of flowers and because i have lived in a sterile environment all my life i cannot sustain my life in any other way! btw my parents car is a jaguar!"
    fact of the matter is that milk contains huge amount of bacteria that are good for you. they build up antibodies and make you resistant to many illnesses.
    i personally am sheer proof of that. when everyone is ill, i am not. last time i saw a doctor was when i did my class one medical for my pilots license 3 years ago.
  • Heart disease?
    cf obesity
  • Cancer
    cf obesity
  • Other health ailments?
    cf obesity

Quite clearly opponents to dairy milk don't have a leg to stand on and are doing everything they can to sell soya milk in which they have hugely invested by mistake.

You will see them around brandishing bs like "animal rights", ill answer this right now.
Dairy cows are the product of a lot of breeding. these type of animals are not like buffalo or bison, they cannot live very long out in the wild. they need the food they are fed, the confort and the attention they get.
Cows produce milk for us and we give them an easy and enjoyable life.
It is easy to see if a cow is happy, they are fat and interested, they have a nice coat and they enjoy human company.
The problem really isnt with using cows to produce milk, the problem is that a few farmers do not do their jobs correctly, not looking after the cows properly etc.
These farms tend to be megaheards sponsored by big retail names like tescos, waitrose, asda, sainsburys...
It is easy to tell that these farms arent keeping their side of the deal with cows, check out their mortality ratios.

If it is done correctly, which it is most of the time, there are no problems with ethics of dairy farming or dairy milk.

In fact, as milk is such a good product the price should be a lot higher, when you consider the amount of work that goes into producing, and instead of the retailer getting 80-90% of the margin for doing a bit of haulage, this increase should go to the producer.
This would encourage the industry to not cut corners, and more stringent rules should be enforced for the welfare of dairy cows.

DeletedUser

Everybody knows, or should know, that cow's milk is meant for baby cows; goat's milk is meant for kids! Adult humans weren't meant to drink milk, which is why most people are lactose intolerant. Only in areas where drinking milk has been common for many generations have people started producing lactaid after they reach adulthood.

DeletedUser9470

Everybody knows, or should know, that cow's milk is meant for baby cows; goat's milk is meant for kids! Adult humans weren't meant to drink milk, which is why most people are lactose intolerant. Only in areas where drinking milk has been common for many generations have people started producing lactaid after they reach adulthood.

what kind of statement is that?
1st: man has a mouth, a tongue, a throat a stomach and a whole digestion system, THUS he was meant to eat and drink anything he likes!!!

2nd, lactaid? thats a product for fat people who get bloated when they eat anything and want to blame their fatness on something else than their own greed of eating.
"ooo cant drink milk makes me bloated! cant eat cake it goes straight to my hips! ill have 2 mars bars, a packet of ginger nuts and a lemon meringue pie for tea. oo and dont forget a packet of monster munch, and yer mmm... one pint of milk and a packet of lactaid to help my digest the milk cos its definately the milk that is making my diet so unhealthy but i like it soooooo much!"...

on the contrary, it seems that the more people drink milk and the more they are tolerant.
people are more tolerant in areas of higher consumption.

also, how do you come to the conclusion that most people are lactose intolerant?

It is estimated that 30 to 50 million Americans are lactose intolerant.
I thought there were 312 million people in the usa?
so that makes it 16% of the American population! which is nowhere near "most".

As these figures are for the USA and according to the law of greed (greedy countries have higher rates in everything bad) we can easily deduct that:
world lactose intolerance<usa lactose intolerance.

DeletedUser

Milk depletes the calcium from your bones

The milk myth has spread around the world based on the flawed belief that this protein and calcium-rich drink is essential to support good overall health and bone health in particular at any age. It is easy to understand that the confusion about milk’s imaginary benefits stems from the fact that it contains calcium – around 300 mg per cup.
But many scientific studies have shown an assortment of detrimental health effects directly linked to milk consumption. And the most surprising link is that not only do we barely absorb the calcium in cow’s milk (especially if pasteurized), but to make matters worse, it actually increases calcium loss from the bones. What an irony this is!
Here’s how it happens. Like all animal protein, milk acidifies the body pH which in turn triggers a biological correction. You see, calcium is an excellent acid neutralizer and the biggest storage of calcium in the body is – you guessed it… in the bones. So the very same calcium that our bones need to stay strong is utilized to neutralize the acidifying effect of milk. Once calcium is pulled out of the bones, it leaves the body via the urine, so that the surprising net result after this is an actual calcium deficit.
Knowing this, you’ll understand why statistics show that countries with the lowest consumption of dairy products also have the lowest fracture incidence in their population (there’s more on this later).
But the sad truth is that most mainstream health practitioners ignore these proven facts. I know it firsthand because when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis, my doctor recommended that I drink lots of milk in addition to taking Fosamax.

http://saveourbones.com/osteoporosis-milk-myth/

long story short, cow milk is for baby cows.

DeletedUser9470

The milk myth has spread around the world based on the flawed belief that this protein and calcium-rich drink is essential to support good overall health and bone health in particular at any age. It is easy to understand that the confusion about milk’s imaginary benefits stems from the fact that it contains calcium – around 300 mg per cup.
But many scientific studies have shown an assortment of detrimental health effects directly linked to milk consumption. And the most surprising link is that not only do we barely absorb the calcium in cow’s milk (especially if pasteurized), but to make matters worse, it actually increases calcium loss from the bones. What an irony this is!
Here’s how it happens. Like all animal protein, milk acidifies the body pH which in turn triggers a biological correction. You see, calcium is an excellent acid neutralizer and the biggest storage of calcium in the body is – you guessed it… in the bones. So the very same calcium that our bones need to stay strong is utilized to neutralize the acidifying effect of milk. Once calcium is pulled out of the bones, it leaves the body via the urine, so that the surprising net result after this is an actual calcium deficit.
Knowing this, you’ll understand why statistics show that countries with the lowest consumption of dairy products also have the lowest fracture incidence in their population (there’s more on this later).
But the sad truth is that most mainstream health practitioners ignore these proven facts. I know it firsthand because when I was diagnosed with osteoporosis, my doctor recommended that I drink lots of milk in addition to taking Fosamax.

i thought you were going to give us a proper undeniable study that milk depletes calcium in your body.
shame.

DeletedUser9470

you gotta love a stubborn man :)

badum-tss
http://www.pcrm.org/search/?cid=252

the author of the factfile website you put forward:
Vivian Goldschmidt who is selling a book called: "The Bone Health Revolution"

what a surprise!

and from your second link:
"While calcium is important for bone health, studies show that increasing consumption beyond approximately 600 mg per day—amounts that are easily achieved without dairy products or calcium supplements—does not improve bone integrity.2"
22. Feskanich D, Willett WC, Colditz GA. Calcium, vitamin D, milk consumption, and hip fractures: a prospective study among postmenopausal women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003;77(2):504-511.

So what are you saying?
"injesting calcium doesnt help bones grow, thus milk is bad."

I can think of many foods that dont help bones grow...

Stubborn in helping the special needs? yes, im guilty.

Diggo11

Only in areas where drinking milk has been common for many generations have people started producing lactaid after they reach adulthood.
on the contrary, it seems that the more people drink milk and the more they are tolerant.
jackie-chan-meme.png

My parents are dairy farmers and there is no doubt in my mind that milk can only be good for you.

what a surprise!
misc-are-you--kidding-me-clean-l.png

Last edited:

DeletedUser

what a surprise!

:blink:
I gave you a article with 39 references to back it up and you start telling me about the owner of the site(how did you find that btw, I could'nt find that) and in the short search about her book I've only seen good reviews.

Remember that the mind is like a parachute and read that article again.

good argument.

Now let this be clear. Cow milk is NOT supossed, or lets say designed to be comsumed by humans. You CAN NOT deny that. It's even worse when is comes to babies.

DeletedUser9470

:blink:
I gave you a article with 39 references to back it up and you start telling me about the owner of the site(how did you find that btw, I could'nt find that) and in the short search about her book I've only seen good reviews.

Remember that the mind is like a parachute and read that article again.

the articles you show talk of excessive amounts of calcium. ok so milk doesn't help grow bones. and?
milk is bad for you just like any other food is.
every food needs to be taken in moderation.

DeletedUser

I don't buy this, so milk is ONE grocery that acidifies body pH and is to blame for calcium loss? If that is by any chance true there must be a crapload of different groceries that does the same but unlike milk they do not contribute with calcium.

I remember that during my time in college(engineer of food processing technology btw) professor marked the milk as an example of ideal food that can provide almost everything that body needs.

On most of the things i agree with Neo, and you westerners put a lot of trust in b*t studies like this.
Frankly i find this study and explanations linked to it very illogical and one sided.

It also doesn't really increase your calsium. I would think it's because you also need vitamin D for that.

Vitamin D is provided by the body if you get a bit of sun exposure.

DeletedUser

I don't buy or consume dairy products for ethical reasons. There are plenty of excellent exposes of the cruelty and suffering surrounding the dairy industry for anyone who has a genuine interest in this.
I prefer the taste of soya milk anyway. I am bored of people calling the diets of others 'disgusting' - it merely displays their own ignorance of the difference between objectivity and subjectivity.
Adult humans are mostly lactose-intolerant. In nature the enzymes needed to digest lactose are not needed after an animal is weaned and normally shut off before puberty. For some reason this hormonal change has ceased to take place in the European branch of the human tree so that westerners can typically digest milk products throughout their life. This is not generally true for other ethnic groups. It is not a kind of fad or neurotic over-sensitivity as one earlier poster implied.
Mothers' milk is an ideal food for infant humans, but sheep and goats' milk is closer to this than cows' milk. Cows' milk is a vector of many pathogens, including TB and for that reason is pasteurised by law, which also reduces its nutritional value. It is best consumed as live yoghurt.
It seems to me that our high rate of milk-consumption is largely a cultural product and wherever you have a cultural norm many arguments will be offered to support it in ignorance or even denial of established facts.

DeletedUser9470

Go tell a starving african that.
And whilst you are at it, tell him he can drink soya milk especially made for him by USA corp for only $2.99/bottle, and this months monsato seeds are on offer!
hooray!

you say best is to eat live yoghurt?
naa best is raw milk. by far.

If you have a dairy farm near you then buy his raw milk, as is permitted by law.
Whilst you're at it, ask a few questions about milk and the dairy industry. you'll learn a lot more than reading BS off the internet.

DeletedUser

If no one has mentioned it, lactose intolerance is actually the norm for humans. The ability to digest it was the mutation, not vice versa.

DeletedUser

Go tell a starving african that.
The majority of Africans (or descendents of) are lactose intolerant ~ http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2401280

Neo, you have a self-serving agenda here. It is, after all, the income of your parents and thus the "cash cow" for your internet activities. You're dependent upon on your parents, who are dependent upon people consuming dairy products. And that's fine, there's a market for it and it's a business. But let's not lie about it, kay?

Anarchy, just because someone teaches at a university doesn't make them a professor, nor does it make their statements gospel. That person you referred to as a professor, I can only assume you are taking his comments out of context. Cow's milk is perfect food --- for a calf. Human milk is perfect food --- for a baby, as long as that baby is capable of breaking down lactose/galactose and doesn't have an allergy to casein. Human milk is not the perfect food for adult humans, and cow's milk is particularly not.

I am lactose intolerant and can tell you straight off, milk is a bane to 75% of adults. Unfortunately most of them don't even know that it's creating the bulk of their gastrointestinal hardships. ~ http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-27939567_ITM

Mammals wean off of milk and almost universally become lactose intolerant into adulthood. As Elmyr indicated, humans are an exception, because we have historically been consuming milk for thousands of years, particularly in Europe (where lactose intolerance can be as low as 5% within the human pop). ~ http://www.scielo.br/scielo.php?scr...0100-879X2007001100004&lng=en&nrm=iso&tlng=en

In addition, the American Gastroenterological Association indicates cow's milk is the #1 cause of food allergies among infants and children.

“Consumption of dairy products, particularly at age 20 years, was associated with an increased risk of hip fracture in old age”. ~ “Case-Control Study of Risk Factors for Hip Fractures in the Elderly”. American Journal of Epidemiology. Vol. 139, No. 5, 1994.

“These data [12 year study on 77,761 women aged 34 through 59 years of age] do not support the hypothesis that higher consumption of milk or other food sources of calcium by adult women protects against hip or forearm fractures.” ~ Feskanich D, Willett WC, Stampfer MJ, Colditz GA. Milk, dietary calcium, and bone fractures in women: a 12-year prospective study. American Journal of Public Health. 1997.

As Eli inferred, other factors to consider are that: "cows produce milk for the same reason that humans do: to nourish their young. In order to force the animals to continue giving milk, factory farm operators typically impregnate them using artificial insemination every year. Calves are generally taken from their mothers within a day of being born—males are destined for veal crates or barren lots where they will be fattened for beef, and females are sentenced to the same fate as their mothers.
After their calves are taken from them, mother cows are hooked up, several times a day, to milking machines. Using genetic manipulation, powerful hormones, and intensive milking, factory farmers force cows to produce about 10 times as much milk as they would naturally.
Animals are often dosed with bovine growth hormone (BGH), which contributes to a painful inflammation of the udder known as "mastitis." (BGH is used widely in the U.S. but has been banned in Europe and Canada because of concerns over human health and animal welfare.) According to the industry's own figures, between 30 and 50 percent of dairy cows suffer from mastitis, an extremely painful condition.
A cow's natural lifespan is about 25 years, but cows used by the dairy industry are killed after only four or five years. An industry study reports that by the time they are killed, nearly 40 percent of dairy cows are lame because of the intensive confinement, the filth, and the strain of being almost constantly pregnant and giving milk. Dairy cows' bodies are turned into soup, companion animal food, or low-grade hamburger meat because their bodies are too "spent" to be used for anything else."
~ http://www.peta.org/issues/animals-used-for-food/dairy-industry.aspx

And while I am adverse to posting comments from PETA, what they indicate above is not inaccurate.

Finally, Turda's posts are not incorrect and your claims they are unsupported is, in and of itself, an unsupported position. You have not provided factual, supported, up-to-date statements on the benefits of cow's milk.

DeletedUser9470

im sure everyone read through all that **.
if i was starving the best beverage to bring life back to me would without a doubt be a glass of milk. you prefer a diet coke then fine, beware though, that stuff doesnt grow on trees.
GL on your bash cow milk campaign

DeletedUser

if i was starving the best beverage to bring life back to me would without a doubt be a glass of milk. you prefer a diet coke then fine

Or if your mouth was on fire from eating hot peppers, or with cookies (no substitute), and then of course there's cereal. Oh yeah, and milk shakes! Obviously I'm not pushing milk as a health food, but who cares? I wouldn't live to 100 eating nothing but tofu because I'd kill myself long before then.