Is drinking milk bad for Humans?!?!

DeletedUser

By whom? being referred to as the professor by someone and having a status of professor at university are two different things.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor

Jozsef Bozso is the name, happy?
Not really. Didn't find him listed under any university.

Half of the studies you provided in previous posts are clean spins that avoid looking at the whole picture[/quote]
Actually, the half you contend are spins -- are in fact scientific research devoid of "spins." But just to ensure you stop dancing around, the OTHER half are entirely accurate. You have this tendency to point at the source, rather than the information... it's a logical fallacy and a demonstration of a substandard debate tactic, which means to me you're not interested in the truth, but in winning a debate.

About 20 people that i consider close friends i know VERY intimate things including their medical conditions, interestingly for region of the world with 55% lactose intolerant people, not a single one of them has it. One i know that is lactose intolerant is not so close with me.
Anecdotal. Your small pocket of friends does not a scientific study comprise.

Have you even tried to read what you just wrote Hell?
Calcium intake=risk of fracture
less calcium intake=less risk of fracture
Have you tried to understand what I write?

Milk intake = increased risk of fracture
No milk intake = risk of fracture, but not as high as that of those who intake milk.

Gotta run, so no more time to respond. Perhaps I'll give time for it at a later time.

DeletedUser

"sigh" some here need to know when im being serious and when im being tongue in cheek

Too many people are having that problem in general in this thread. I don't think anyone here is seriously opposed to milk, nor is anyone vehemently pro-milk. Well, besides -Neo-. This wasn't the most serious of topics, but it feels like an abortion debate.

DeletedUser

Speak for yourself... I inadvertently intake a dairy product..."

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser16008

You curd always speak for him HS hes only your alter ego... or are you his ?? oh i don't know whey i bother sometimes .........

Diggo11

I would be curious if Mongolians are lactose intolerant as they have lived nearly entirely on animals for a long long time, totally guessing but id suspect they arn't. Neither are they European but are Asian. Also they inhabit a very cold climate...... come to think of it what about Eskimos ?
Whilst seemingly crude, this map would indicate that Mongolians are indeed mostly lactose intolerant, presumably for the reason Eli cited earlier about fermenting their milk before it's consumption.

Too many people are having that problem in general in this thread. I don't think anyone here is seriously opposed to milk, nor is anyone vehemently pro-milk. Well, besides -Neo-. This wasn't the most serious of topics, but it feels like an abortion debate.
Isn't there a rule or something about mentioning "the a-word" in a non-abortion related thread? No? Why the heck not! :p

That's a pretty good summary though. Whilst some of it's long assumed health benefits are now starting to be seriously questioned, provided you are not intolerant milk is still a pretty good substitute for any drink except water. Unless someone wants to try convince me that it's not an apple but a diet coke a day that keeps the doctor away...

DeletedUser28032

Another key word from waht Eli said would probably also be "Mares" milk as opposed to cows. Now I am not 100% on this so feel free to correct me but don't certain types of milk have less lactose in them than others?

a diet coke a day that keeps the doctor away...

of course it does, I've been bribing my doctor with sugary beverages for years :laugh: although sadly my dentist doesn't seem to appreciate it.

DeletedUser563

few thoughts does milk really have bacteria in isnt all the processes there to elminate that. i think like yoghurt has added bacteria . also you people with your dont eat this dont eat that. let me cut it down for you below 35 eat and especially drink anything in huge amounts and much gusto in short enjoy your youth.after 35 all of the regular sicknesses gang up on you and the doctors start cashing in. also milk prevent gout which is a :censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

Diggo11

Another key word from waht Eli said would probably also be "Mares" milk as opposed to cows. Now I am not 100% on this so feel free to correct me but don't certain types of milk have less lactose in them than others?
I believe they do, although intolerance is the inability to break down any amount of the substance. You are correct however that if the substance is less concentrated then you will experience less symptoms, if you feel any at all. This means it would still be advantageous to be lactose tolerant, however the "stakes" certainly aren't as high if even consciously noticeable.

of course it does, I've been bribing my doctor with sugary beverages for years :laugh: although sadly my dentist doesn't seem to appreciate it.
Lol, them dentists can be a constant downer, huh? :p

DeletedUser

Of course milk is good for you. My mom makes me drink two glasses of milk every day, and I grow stronger! I can feel it! I'm already 70 pounds and 5 feet tall!

DeletedUser28032

You are correct however that if the substance is less concentrated then you will experience less symptoms

So if the Mongolians (as an example) have spent much of their early history drinking a type of milk with a lower lactose level which is then subsequently reduced via fermentation then their bodies would never have evolved the means to break it down. Also by looking at the map it would appear that most of the countries with the lower percentage of lactose intolerance seem to be those where a large proportion of their population originated from Europe.

DeletedUser

Easy enough. :p

During fermentation, the lactose in mare's milk is converted into lactic acid, ethanol and carbon dioxide, and the milk becomes an accessible source of nutrition for people who are lactose intolerant.[10]
Before fermentation, mare's milk has almost 40% more lactose than cow's milk.[11] According to one modern source, "unfermented mare's milk is generally not drunk", because it is a strong laxative.[1] Varro's On Agriculture, from the 1st century BC, also mentions this: "as a laxative the best is mare's milk, then donkey's milk, cow's milk, and finally goat's milk...";[12] drinking six ounces (190 ml) a day would be enough to give a lactose-intolerant person severe intestinal symptoms.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumis#Nutritional_properties_of_mare.27s_milk

DeletedUser

If you live in the US, you should be aware of milk containing rBGH growth hormone:

Since November 1993, with FDA approval,[85] Monsanto has been selling recombinant bovine somatotropin (rbST), also called rBGH, to dairy farmers. Cows produce bovine growth hormone naturally, but some producers administer an additional recombinant version of BGH which is produced through a genetically engineered E. coli because it increases milk production. Bovine growth hormone also stimulates liver production of insulin-like growth factor 1 (IGF1). Monsanto has stated that both of these compounds are harmless given the levels found in milk and the effects of pasteurization,[86] however, Monsanto's own tests, conducted in 1987, demonstrated that statistically significant growth stimulating effects were induced in organs of adult rats by feeding IGF-1 at low dose levels for only two weeks. "Drinking rBGH milk would thus be expected to significantly increase IGF-1 blood levels and consequently to increase risks of developing breast cancer and promoting its invasiveness."[87]
On June 9, 2006, the largest milk processor in the world and the two largest supermarkets in the United States--Dean Foods, Wal-Mart, and Kroger--announced that they are "on a nationwide search for rBGH-free milk."[88] Milk from cows given rBST may be sold in the United States, and the FDA stated that no significant difference has been shown between milk derived from rBST-treated and that from non-rBST-treated cows.[89] Milk that advertises that it comes from cows not treated with rBST, is required to state this finding on its label.
Cows receiving rBGH supplements may more frequently contract an udder infection known as mastitis.[90] Problems with mastitis have led to Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and Japan banning milk from rBST treated cows. Mastitis, among other diseases, may be responsible for the fact that levels of white blood cells in milk vary naturally.[91][92]
In the European Union, rBGH is banned.[93]

full article:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk#Bovine_growth_hormone_supplementation

also:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin

DeletedUser

On June 9, 2006, the largest milk processor in the world and the two largest supermarkets in the United States--Dean Foods, Wal-Mart, and Kroger--announced that they are "on a nationwide search for rBGH-free milk."http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bovine_somatotropin

rBGH-free milk

The list includes Horizon (which I like more for being ultrapasteurized than being organic, because ultrapasteurized milk lasts forever), which is owned by Dean Foods since they acquired Horizon's parent company in 2001. I guess Dean is looking for non-organic rBGH-free milk.

Red Falcon

I do not think milk is bad. Although drinking to much of it could be bad. In fact, I tend to think that to much of anything could yield bad results sooner or later. And as for the taste of milk? Yuck! The only reason I use milk is to put on cereal and I don't eat cereal very often. I am much more inclined to eat meat than I am cereal.

DeletedUser

Meh, it's bad. The overweight problem in the Americas and Western Europe is largely attributed to dairy products and products infused with dairy. Indeed, most diets make it very clear that removing dairy products, particularly cheeses, will substantially assist in your weight loss efforts.

Now, how about someone trying to argue that being overweight is healthy for you.

DeletedUser563

Being underweight has far more substantial health risks including internal organs deteriorating. What is more drinking milk is better for your diet . Its about when you eat it. Too explain you will use milk with your cereal in the morning. During the day you will add it to your coffee which has fewer sugar in than coke etc. At night you will eat perhaps 2 slices of cheese with a sandwich or in a light meal. its based around the "german"type of diet where you eat different foodgroups at different times. One explained it to me think cereals in the morning proteins at lunch and sauerkraut( vegetables)at night but I am not that dedicated as them. So if you follow my arguments morning: milk and cereal less fat than eggs ,bacon or whatever else your gonna eat. During the day coffee and water has less sugar than coke etc. Well that little bit of cheese will not make a difference to you if your meal is small. Of course based on 3 small meals Or 1 small i mini(drink) and then normal.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Being underweight has far more substantial health risks .....
Whaaaaaat?:blink:
Obesity is responsible for a whole welter of problems including diabetes, heart conditions, arthritis, injuries and falls, poor cardio-vascular performance. Being somewhat underweight (as opposed to malnourished) is actually healthier than having a 'normal' weight. Underfed mice outlive their normal counterparts in laboratory tests. Paradoxically, the underweight also fared better in the Nazi camps - their bodies were better able to withstand the starvation regime even though they had less fat deposits to draw on.
So, Jak, back your assertions up with arguments and facts or kindly leave the room.

DeletedUser16008

Being underweight has far more substantial health risks

And you wonder why you get flamed with the ridiculous things you come out with.:blink::blink::blink:

As for milk being bad for you ?A lot of posters here have brought evidence to the table that say it is, yet plenty here also include it in the diet with no problems. So....I think we've concluded here its more a question of is milk bad for me rather than you, depending on your race, intolerance, DNA weight etc etc each to their own I say.

90% of everything we eat has some additive that can be said to be bad for you yet we have to live on something right ?

Apart from all other reasons like standard of living, medical and the like, in general aside from a couple, ( and those are all fishing based locals ) the western countries still have a better life expectancy, mainly due to the varied diet affordably available to them

The best diet can be proven by the age you live to, people such as the Japanese and other sea dependent places have a higher life expectancy that most others...it is obviously a fish based non dairy diet.

DeletedUser

Meh, I have an issue with Jakkals' erroneous argument, and not merely for the reasons presented by subsequent posters, but because an on-point rebuttal to my challenge was intentionally avoided.

So, once again, dairy products have directly attributed to obesity. In such, we come to:

Dairy products = obesity = unhealthy

Rather simple really.

DeletedUser16008

Meh, I have an issue with Jakkals' erroneous argument, and not merely for the reasons presented by subsequent posters, but because an on-point rebuttal to my challenge was intentionally avoided.

So, once again, dairy products have directly attributed to obesity. In such, we come to:

Dairy products = obesity = unhealthy

Rather simple really.

Sweeping statement you cant blame purely dairy products for obesity .... does the US consume more dairy products per person than say Europe ? i doubt it somehow, yet your obesity is far higher than any other nation... it probably goes more like this.

Dairy products + junk food + huge portions + TV couch potato-ism + lack of exercise = obesity = unhealthy