Intro to RPing RP

• Thread starter Deleted User - 819397
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Tumbleweed returned to the saloon for his promised nightcap.

He entered this time with more confidence, as it was familiar to him. He noticed the same faces, doing nothing, and again, no ladies. Going to be a quick night, which is just as well he thought, it was a long ride to this town, and a long day regardless.

Sitting at the same booth, the barkeep offered the bottle of Canadian whiskey. Tumbleweed shook his head, requested brandy, French if he had it.

He just stared into his brandy glass, held it in both hands at the bar. He was thinking of all he had done in his life, and how long that life had been.

In the Army, he was trained as a sniper, as before he joined up, he was a good shot. When the War Between the States ended, he was sent to Europe and the Middle East, to do those type assignments as the U.S. Government deemed fit.

He never was ever face to face with his targets, they always were at a distance, for his own safety, mind you. It was nice to fire upon your target, knowing they were out of range to fire back.

Owning only 3 weapons, that is all he ever needed, and made a great living from it. His long-range rifle, his sawed off rifle which he carried at all times, and his special weapon, what the British called an elephant gun in Africa. What the caliber did not do, making his own bullets with mercury and lead, then a final dip in cyanide, would finish the job. Yes, he was good at his job. He got things done.

The meeting with the sheriff was mixed. The sheriff was somewhat frustrated in life, wanting to become a U.S. Marshall, but being in these parts, would not allow much training for it.

The sheriff laid the ground rules for 'his town' to Tumbleweed, and both agreed to the conditions. Tumble was to make a little money if he accepted the available bounties, perhaps spend some time with the ladyfolk in town, nothing serious, and depart. That was it. That was always just it. Nothing more. But he wanted more, was tired of town after town, picking up money, women, memories, and bringing death. Retirement was sounding kind of good right about now.

Tumbleweed thought of the available 'missions'. A few low-grade bandits on the loose, and more low-grade criminals, probably in Mexico or Canada by now. Jesse James was too common, Tumble always worked alone for efficiency, and usually killed off his competition.

But he remembered this one mission he heard of a while ago. It was a job that could set him up for life with a good retirement. The railroad and oil stocks were doing good, but one more great job, and I will be done, he thought. But it was so high level, it had to be right. He would never be able to work again if he did that job.

Well, he thought, I will decide tomorrow. Too many men in here, and with men it was business. With women, it was play, as each woman was a toy to play with, to cherish, to keep, if he really liked her.

In one huge gulp, he swallowed his brandy, set the glass down, and reached into his pocket to pay. The barkeep shook his head no. Tumbleweed thanked him, said goodnight, and walked off to the hotel to find a soft pillow...

Apelatia

It was to Apel's surprise when, after a few moments of looking around, the newcomer decided to leave as quickly as he had entered, having not introduced himself. He had been ready to perhaps hold a conversation with the man, but as it was, he simply...disappeared. His mind soon forgot about the matter though as a familiar face at last decided to show itself without the guise of a character name. Johann appeared through the doorway, asking for a JSB Vodka. "I think Regal has some of them in stock...I don't know where he keeps them though - I'll have to look. Two seconds!" Bending down, he began to rummage around in the numerous small cold storage units behind the counter. A few moments of searching produced the desired result: a large bottle of JSB Vodka. Once he'd found a suitable glass to pour the drink into, he placed it down on the hard counter for Johann to take. Following the line of conversation, Apel replied to Braet's question. "Either option sounds good to me. Whether it be investigation using magic, or an investigation into magic users, I'll be up to participating. Especially with you as OP, Johann."

It was while he was in the midst of the same conversation that he suddenly found his body moving involuntarily without his permission, offering a bottle of Canadian whiskey, pouring another drink, and then later shaking his head. It was to his delight when he discovered that he once again had control over his body. As the mysterious man left, he called after him, "Excuse me, but you never told me your name! ...and we do have beds here on the upper floor if you would like to stay. There is no charge, except for the small price of following the rules set in this thread... However, as well as that, we do have some specific rules which we apply in this section for role-playing. Firstly, unless you are the original creator of the thread, or the 'OP', then you control one character, and that is your own. In this particular role-play, this is also the case. You should only be controlling your own character, rather than those of other people, such as myself." Taking a deep breath, he continued in the same kind tone, "As well as that, there are certain things which you can assume about the people in the Saloon, but your statement, "He noticed the same faces, doing nothing, and again, no ladies.", implies that you have control over what is happening, which is not the case. Please, stay a while, and perhaps we can continue our conversation! I would certainly like to hear your name at least!"

DeletedUser13682

“Thank you, Apple” Johann said, grabbing the glass of JSB Vodka. It had been a while since he had seen the drink, despite having created the brew and owning the company. Before he could drink the JSB, Apple began acting strangely; his actions appeared to be not his own as he served the man Johann had seen walking out of the bar earlier. The older man, who appeared to fit into the West just as well as Johann didn’t, finished his drink and left, with Apple yelling after him about this and that. “I never knew you the type to allow tabs, Apple,” Johann joked, his accent traveling westward to Frisian, as his uniform changed to flecktarn, then to Dutch DPM; now on his head was a blue UN k-pot helmet. “Especially from strangers.” Johann sipped at his JSB Vodka, then answered Braet’s question. “Excellent question, Braeto. The answer is both. I might have posted it a while ago, can’t remember, but there will be humans and elves living together in the early ‘80s.

“Divergent point is ’79, with Maggie Thatcher getting the Conservatives a majority in Parliament by promising to utilize the help of elves, newly revealed, to bring Britain’s economy back from the brink. It worked; Lord Thorneycroft said it was the Labour isn’t working poster and the elves that won the Conservatives the election. But, some elves aren’t happy about the way they’ve been treated, and pull off Brighton. Now, elves and humans are working together in a special task force to find out who performed the attack, and to stop any future attacks.” Johann took another sip of his drink before continuing. “Elves can use magic, but aren’t nearly as universally accepted as humans are. For humans, it’s the opposite. You’ll be able to play as human or elf. Not sure if I’ll allow both sides of this conflict or not. Also not sure whether to allow all nationalites, or limit to Commonwealth, or even just British nationals. What say you guys?”

DeletedUser28032

"I am going to have to learn that trick" Braet said to himself with a smile as Apel seemed to become the victim of some kind of mental domination "Me and Gilly could have a lot of fun with a talent like that" he added before turning his attention back to Johann.
The idea was interesting, it was most certainly different to the other RP's currently being run and he'd toyed with the idea of Modern fantasy himself and so was interested to see how it would turn out "personally I would keep it to within the UK although someone playing a CIA agent could make things interesting. I'd also keep it so that everyone was on the same side because as we found with playing squad based games its surprising how many times people miraculously realised there was an ambush waiting for them" he said rolling his dark eyes at the memory; people just didn't like seeing there characters being killed...especially by another player. Pulling a straight razor from out of his jacket pocket; the item reminiscent of the one used by a former character of his, Braet began to carefully clean the dirt out from beneath his finger nails "You may also want to list any racial or cultural information concerning the elves somewhere in your blurb so as to avoid confusion further down the line, The Sidhe in Sentinels for instance have a tendency to get rather nasty burns when they come into contact with iron and steel"

DeletedUser

Tumbleweed, his nickname, real name Irving Lipschitz (one can see why in the West he preferred the nickname!) had a good rest and made some choices.

First, he relaxed all day after a good breakfast, eyeing the hotel keep's wife. Getting back to business, he returned to the saloon, and thought to stay awhile.

He felt good after a long sleep, and just made decisions and more rest for most of the day. Tumble ordered a whiskey (Canadian, of course) and reflected on what was decided.

Again, his whiskey glass in both hands on the bar, he peered into the glass. No, he would not take the job of assassinating a head of state. He killed government officials overseas before, but never a head of state, let alone the same country he planned to stay in. High payoff, but with too much risk. After Lincoln, someone else can get this Garfield. Not me, he thought.

No, he liked this town, liked the tempo, mellow. I will do some common jobs, find a nice woman to settle down with again, cash in some investments, buy a spread, tend some livestock, grow some crops. He will start back to work tomorrow at first light.

Born and raised back East, spent some time in the South before the war, the war, overseas, now here out West, he was done traveling long distance. Besides, he did not want to spend the remainder of his years looking over his shoulder. He was tired of that.

All in silence, he took a gulp of his whiskey, lit up his Southern style pipe, laid back a bit, and surveyed the contents of the saloon...

DeletedUser37114

Having finished sketching out some ideas and catching up with Regal, Autumn looked around at the word "Sidhe." "Some modern fantasy sounds great," he said excitedly. "Not that many folks try for a blend of what we think of as real and normal with some of the old stories."

He reached over to hold out his hand to the strange looking green clad fellow with the vodka. "I don't think we were properly introduced, my name is Autumn, or Aut for short. I'm new around here, but hoping to get into something interesting. And a modern fantasy story sounds very interesting." Autumn smiled and tilted his head slightly, happy to make a new acquaintance.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser37114

"Nice to meet you, Tumble," Autumn replied, shifting in his seat. His thoughts had mostly centered around the tale Regal had been telling him and now this new idea of a modern fantasy story, so hadn't noticed the newcomer. He nodded politely and then returned his attention to the soldier in the odd blue outfit.

DeletedUser13682

“Same side, right. Would be easier on me.” Johann took out a notebook and wrote down Braet’s suggestion. “CIA could be thrown in, but then why not other agencies as well? GSG 9, GIGN, Diesnteinheit IX, other counter terror organizations? Hmm…” Johann thought for a moment, then spoke to Braet again. “There could be a transition to that from just a U.K. based organization to an international organization. I like it.” At that time, one of the newcomers, Regal’s friend, walked up to Johann, offered his hand to shake and his name as Aut. “Hello, Aut. I’m Johann.” He shook Aut’s hand. “You planning on joining any RPs?” As Johann asked this, his accent and clothes took a leap to the far southeast, to the land worthy of the name, Rhodesia. Now wearing early pattern translucent brushstroke camo, Johann glanced outside. “Wonder what my vehicle will be, huh…” It was around then that the other newcomer, the very quiet one, introduced himself to Aut as Tumbleweed. “Huh, hello TW. I’m Johann. Welcome both of you to CS section, huh? Hopefully you’ll join some RPs, and if you have any suggestions about mine, I’ll be more than glad to hear them, huh. It’ll still be a while until I get it up, huh. Gremlin stole most of the material from my bag, huh?”

DeletedUser37114

Aut's brows furrowed at Johann's shifting accent and clothing. Truly, this is a strange place, he thought to himself and backed away a little. "Regal's been introducing me to some place called 'Arunsia' where I thought I might hop in when I found a good chance." He thought to himself for a moment. "If you want to include various counter terror and intelligence organizations, would the elves already be part of those groups? I mean, was this a world wide revelation? Have the elves been messing with information to hide themselves for a while now?"

He glanced at the bar to make sure not to knock anything over and hopped up to sit there with a glance at the bartender helping Regal, just in case he objected to Autumn's strange choice of sitting place.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28032

Braet considered the newcomers comments before speaking "You've got a point there, if the elves have always been there living in the shadows...so to speak then they would be in all walks of life. My CIA suggestion was more to have a character with a completely different agenda to the rest of the players such as having MI5 after the bombers because they're terrorists where as the CIA want to find the bomber in order to use the bomb/magic for their own purposes" he said speaking to the pair of men currently at the bar "Oh...and before I forget Gilly wishes to thank you Aut for picking a character name that will easily accept an EE sound on the end of it" he said with a chuckle. He enjoyed playing as the harlequin as you never quite knew what she would do next.

DeletedUser37114

Autumn smiled widely at that comment. "Not a problem. Always love to help a trickster, though Edric will probably just tolerate the nicknaming without any sort of comment or fun response. Puts up with just about anything, but not much fun at parties. Might need to get involved in something else just to make sure his traits get balanced out." He yawned widely and leaned back a little, stretching his arms up.

"In regards to the mystery RP, it's entirely possible that any character involved in the story could have their own motivation. Anti-elf groups, pro-elf groups, intelligence services, governments, terrorist groups, anti-terrorist groups, corporations, powerful individuals, and others all have a stake in events." Aut smiled and closed his eyes, face pointed at the ceiling, hands gripping the front of the bar.

DeletedUser13682

“Huh I still haven’t quite worked out how they hid so well. Looking at history, perhaps evidence that elves exist is discovered by German Antarctic expeditions in the ‘30s huh. The problem is the only expeditions to Antarctica in the late 70s were Soviet expeditions huh. There was an East German station studying the Ozone layer that appears to be in the New Swabia region huh. Huh that could work as well.” Johann shrugged at Braet’s suggestion for different organizations working under different motives. As he spoke his accent and clothes shifted to that of an American Vietnam soldier in duck hunter camo. “I think by ’84, elves would have become part of many major governments, on both sides of that proverbial curtain. Elf advisors in Afghanistan. There’s an idea.” Johann finished his JSB and asked for another one. “I’ll post a rough draft of one when I get it done. Slow work because tests and getting ready to move, you see. But I shall get this done, this I swear to you.”

DeletedUser28032

"Don't forget the elves that didn't want to be revealed, they'll have their own little groups as well" Braet chipped onto the end of Aut's statement; still busily cleaning the dirt from beneath his nails with the straight razor before diresting attention to a Johann now sporting fatigues and a booney hat "As for how they've stayed hidden for so long I'd say a combination of a low population, magic (Illsuions hiding the obviously elven physical features) and a ruling council willing to remove the body parts of any elf foolish enough to break any of their laws such do the trick. As for elven advisors...it would depend on how popular / tolerated they were by humans in those particular area's" Braet finished knowing how intolerant some governments had been during the 70's and 80's, either way it'd be an interesting RP to see.

DeletedUser37114

"Something like an elven high council keeping the masquerade up?" suggested Autumn. "In that case, would they have a monarch? Either way, the ruling body would probably have to be quite powerful, maybe keeping a hold of the elvish population with an iron fist. Do you think they would give support to MI5's investigation?" He frowned for a moment, thinking about how a reluctant advisor assigned to the investigators might work.

"We also have no idea what kind of magic they can do. Can elves use mental magic? Pseudo telepathy? Classical elemental spells? Straight up kill spells? Teleportation? Would the magic have a detectable effect, perhaps one that gave off electromagnetic radiation? I know NASA had some research in the 70s involving microwaves..." Autumn's string of questions faded off as he stared off into the distance, lost in thought.

DeletedUser13682

Johann listened to the ideas of Braet and Aut, considering whether he could use them. “They stayed hidden by living in Antarctica,” Johann stated. “I’m thinking some nice big caverns, built on the surface, beneath the ice. Something like that.” Johann’s uniform shifted to that of a Spanish paratrooper wearing boscosos camo. “I think they will be discovered in 1976 or 1977 with the opening of the Gerog Forster Station in Schirmacher Oasis, in Antarctica. This discovery prompted elves to mostly join human society, a mass emigration to all corners of the world. Officially, the elves became allied with various governments. Some elves even fought on both sides of the Bush War in Rhodesia. Allowed Zimbabwe-Rhodesia to continue on; there was no Lancaster House Agreement.

“Elves would use mostly elemental magic; fire, water, air, &c.. There’s no mind tricks, tele whatever or psy whatever. It wouldn’t leave a particular trace. The beginning of the story is the Brighton Bombing. For a while, it’s believed to be gelignite bomb, but the elf advisor assigned to the case argues that it’s some sort of fire magic.” Thinking over his glass, Johann took the thought of government into consideration. “They are certainly eager to help humans out, for the most part. Like Braet said, there will be some isolationists. I don’t know what kind of government they would have. Maybe a meritocracy would fit them best. I’ll think more on that.”

Apelatia

With a loud exclamation, Apel awoke suddenly from the sleep that had seemingly overtaken him some time back. He wasn't certain just how long exactly he had been snoozing face down on the bar face, but what was for sure was that it probably had not gone unnoticed by Regal, and most likely by the rest of the saloon regulars too. These "snoozes" had become commonplace in recent months. Trying to piece together exactly what was causing the irregular naps had become a daily enigma, but Apel had determined that he would not leave the saloon to go to bed until he had come up with the reason. A consequence of this was that his total number of days spent in the saloon had now summed up to almost seventy. Still, that could be forgotten for a moment. His mouth dry from lack of water, Apel voiced his desire for a drink aloud to the barkeeper. "Could I have some water, please!" This elicited a series of harsh coughs from his chest, before he finally relaxed on his high stool.

His daily enigma had been affecting the regularity of his visits to the writing room of late. However, as he had told himself within the confines of his mind many a time, this would not affect his love for the section. With a sigh, Apel addressed his fellow residents. "Light-hearted and full on, or dark and slow... What do we prefer in an RP?" He allowed the question to hang in the air, waiting for an answer, whilst also waiting quite desperately for a glass of water to be placed before him.

DeletedUser28032

It had been a while since Braet had last been in the bar, however being far too tired to actually write anything meaningful within the section decided to wander inside and take a look.
The interior was like a scene from a Disney fairy tale with everything; including some of the patrons covered in a thick layer of dust and cobwebs "Blimey, I thought this place had gotten shut down" he said in a genuinely surprised voice as he caught sight of Apel sat at the bar.
Listening to the question being posed to him he considers it for a few moments before replying "Dark and gritty, though with some light hearted moments mixed in so that it isn't all doom and gloom...after all the heroes need to think that they're actually able to win even if that isn't the case"

DeletedUser37114

As Apel stirred from his position, Aut took notice. He'd been napping on the top of the bar, as nobody seemed to have any objections to the spot and nobody seemed to be making any drink orders. As the man ordered water, Aut sighed and slipped down to a stool. "A gin and tonic for me, if you could, Regal," he said as he took his seat properly. He waited patiently for the drink and Apel voiced his question, which was an interesting one for him. Many of the stories and material he liked were dark, but that was more of a coincidence than something he would put money on. As far as what he preferred with RPs... "Light. If an RP is too dark, then all you get is mopey characters who sulk around the whole time and don't do a whole lot. If an RP is lighter, characters will tend to be more active about choosing where to go and what to do." He grinned over at Apel. "Plus, you know, shipping. Hard to ship people who are dead."

DeletedUser28032

"Yeah, but I don't like fluffy" Braet responded; propping his booted feet upon the table as he made himself comfortable "...its all about striking a balance, it needs to be dark and gritty enough that it doesn't feel like a cake walk, where no matter what happens nothing seriously bad is going to happen to the characters yet not so dark that they just end up moping around in a corner feeling sorry for themselves" Braet finished, knowing that he hadn't quite got that balance worked out in his own RP's. Tiran seemed a touch too light with all of the characters in happy relationships and poor Zani had perhaps been dropped a little too deeply into the dark and gritty though he hoped he'd be able to rectify that soon enough.
Flipping open a little black notebook and a pencil he quickly starts scribbling under the heading The Key and the Gate with the words Abbie, Dreamwalking and Twist? just visible to any who cared to take a look.

Status
Not open for further replies.