Indian. What an American word to use.

DeletedUser

I don't know if you all noticed...this is an MMORPG. A role-playing game and if you look at the collective term "Cowboys and Indians" historically, well...it is what it is. Actually historically there was animosity between the two races and I reckon they probably had a collection of degrading slurs for each other. Indian is not a slur, or a term of degradation and if you've got a problem with the usage of the term, it's not the term that needs some fixing you need therapy so that you can have resolution. If the game vocab is bothering you, stop playing the game :)

DeletedUser

believe it or not there is substantial circumstantial evidence of Coastal Africans having trade/contact with South America pre Columbus. It's just a matter of most World History (at least in the US) being Euro-centric. Remember history is usually written by the Conqueror not the Conquered.

yes alot of similarities amongst the Olmecs sculptures and Africans.

DeletedUser

Here are some interesting little topics to add to the discussion.

When the first white men arrived in the new world [America] from the Old world [Europe], they came across high cheek boned, deeply suntanned natives, who they later named 'Red Indians'. These were the first ever to live in America and lived there alone for centuries. Did you know that they weren't called red Indians because of their skin colour, but because of the red war paint they wore when going out?

The other side of the coin !

“‘Paleface’ is not the only name by which the ‘white man’ is known to the ‘red.’”

Many of the names, as expected, had to do with skin color. Several tribes called us “white,” “white person,” “white skin,” etc. In addition to these the Algonkian Arapahos referred to us as “yellow-hided.” Whether it had to do with skin or hair color or courage is unknown. Kiowas used a term that meant “hairy mouth” and the Zunis referred to the early Spaniards as “moustached people.” “They of the hairy chest” was used by Algonkian Miamis.

Ears also played a role. Kiowas used the same word for white men that they used for donkeys and mules. It meant “ears sticking out” because Indians’ ears were partially covered by their hair. Crows and Upsarokas called white men “yellow eyes.” Our voices were not altogether pleasing to the Kiowas as they also called white men “growlers.”

Clothing also played a role in the naming. Mohawks of the Lake of the Two Mountains in Quebec thought the tam o’shanters worn by early Scot settlers looked like cow patties and called them “ota,” their word for cow droppings. Englishmen would agree with the Objibwa who described Scots as “he who speaks differently.”

Now my question, surely none of you Europeans are insulted by those old historical names ? PC is madness, it makes a mockery of humour, and history.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I suppose since we are looking at the game from the western (Hence the west) viewpoint those names that tribes called western people would not be included.
To be honest, the world is far too PC.
If this was a game about native tribes, indians, squaws, whatever - i would not mind paleface as it suits the history. They were very logical in their names.

DeletedUser

I just posted a list of names that the "red men" called the "white men" :)

Posted right above your post.

DeletedUser

And your answer to the question I asked ?

"Now my question, surely none of you Europeans are insulted by those old historical names ? PC is madness, it makes a mockery of humour, and history."

:) Aaah you edited your post as I was editing mine .. and did answer the question .. I completely agree with your response ..

Quotes Gem: " i would not mind paleface as it suits the history. They were very logical in their names."

DeletedUser

I am not insulted at all, as I said in my above post. The names were very logical, I think they were very witty. It's history, generally people at some point dislike each other. ;)

DeletedUser

It's evident that this game was made by some anti-aboriginal people, because if they bothered to realize that Indians in fact come from India, then we wouldn't have this problem. Don't tell me to "roleplay" I get very angry about these sorts of things. Call them a mohawk or something.
I seen that coming.. Always gotta be like that and make a little thing a big deal..:rolleyes:

DeletedUser

I noticed, we are busy editing editing and crossing our replies in the postings, what fun :)

DeletedUser

Haha, I think you just read it before my edit. I didn't edit it after you posted :p

DeletedUser

I've got a solution.....

Those who first walked on two feet, Australopithecines, came from southern and eastern Africa. Homo habilis, the next hominids to appear were also from Africa. Homo erectus originated in east Africa as well.

So the solution is, just call everyone SE Africans and you can't go wrong.

DeletedUser

i was going to assume your belief in evolution was a temporary lapse in intellegence, then i saw your signature phrase

DeletedUser

Just because I can't resist in response to a few pages back.

Columbus landed in the west indies Which Technically belong to the Americas (North, South, Central, and the Islands of the Caribbean) So no he didn't ever set foot on US soil but he did set foot on American Soil.

As for the other assertion I made I stand corrected as I can't cite a source for the whole derivation of Indian rumor.

Correct
Another group who might have made contact with Native people to this land
were the Polynesians

DeletedUser

It's evident that this game was made by some anti-aboriginal people, because if they bothered to realize that Indians in fact come from India, then we wouldn't have this problem. Don't tell me to "roleplay" I get very angry about these sorts of things. Call them a mohawk or something.

Well personally speaking as a Pawnee (yeah an Indian) I could care less what you "Pale Face's" folk call us...it's a name a tag a Word grow the hell up and get over it.
That being said I'm off to Scalp more settler's in their sleep burn down a couple town's,raid a few wagon train's,and drink all your firewater while all of you are here arguing/debating useless B.S. :D

oh yeah btw a Mohawk is a Hairstyle...not a Tribe.

DeletedUser

Mohawk?
Wow.

HEY GUYS, DON'T INSULT THE PEOPLE FROM MY COUNTRY, BUT WHY DON'T WE JUST USE SLANG FOR THEIR PEOPLE INSTEAD SO WE DON'T MIX THAT UP!

Honestly though, I actually prefer the term Native. Not just to be politically correct, but 'native' meant something then too, and not just in America. It also has more ring to it.

DeletedUser

Nobody called 'em natives. Once you get past the colonial period the "whites" considered themselves Native born as opposed to immigrants. Mohawk is a hairstyle derived from the Mohicans of the east (ie the NE of the us roughly Ohio through Ontario..ROUGHLY) Indians didn't start scalping people until the White Racist Settlers did. As a whole (as in any armed conflict) there were atrocities committed by both sides. In general, the Europeans, with their advanced technology and ideas of personal land ownership instigated the problems and upped the violence level. Where the Indians ended up fighting a battle for survival (both physical and cultural).

DeletedUser

From what i have seen over the month sine the game started. People make topics about how a western audience has corrupted words from the past, e.g. Squaw.

DeletedUser

Hehe, no need to get offended. I believe india is an arcane english word ror 'far away place' or something along those lines. So Indians come from a place far away from the UK. If you think this is offensive then consider the Welsh, welsh means foreign!

Rule Brittania, brittania rules the waves.
Britons never never.......:rolleyes:

DeletedUser

If i remember Ethiop was considered mythical. Sorry for nothing Ethiopia.