Indian. What an American word to use.

DeletedUser

If i remember correctly i read somewhere that the use of Squaw for the Female Parts is a corruption.

Squaw was originally a East coast Native American term for female but has been used by racist and such in a derogatory term, which corrupted its original useage.

DeletedUser

I remembered, and it didn't help how some woman went on some american show and told everyone it actually meant that. And got everybody worried. When she was wrong.

DeletedUser

I remembered, and it didn't help how some woman went on some american show and told everyone it actually meant that. And got everybody worried. When she was wrong.

and what did she say it meant? since i'm going from a stand point of historical fact not assumption.

DeletedUser

The controversy increased when Oprah Winfrey invited the Native American activist Suzan Harjo onto her show in 1992. Harjo claimed on the show that "squaw is an Algonquin Indian word meaning vagina". As a result of these claims, some Native people have taken to spelling the word sq***, or calling it the "s-word" (Bright n.d.). This etymology has been widely adopted as the rationale for removing the word from maps, road signs, history books, and other public uses (Adams 2000).

Straight from Wikipedia

DeletedUser

The controversy increased when Oprah Winfrey invited the Native American activist Suzan Harjo onto her show in 1992. Harjo claimed on the show that "squaw is an Algonquin Indian word meaning vagina". As a result of these claims, some Native people have taken to spelling the word sq***, or calling it the "s-word" (Bright n.d.). This etymology has been widely adopted as the rationale for removing the word from maps, road signs, history books, and other public uses (Adams 2000).

Straight from Wikipedia

well there you go you have a sensationalist talk show host with a person who did not back up their findings, of course their going to look stupid, wouldn't be the first time nor the last time.

I have given up on shows like Oprah and Dr. Phil and such since they are about sensationalism and show boating not about the truth, look at Dr. Phil a supposed Psychologist who puts his patients problems out there for the world to see, when any Psychologist worth a plug dime knows this would do more harm then good to the patient.

DeletedUser

so squaw used to be a good word and got totally corrupted?

sounds a lot like the schwastika (sorry if i spelt it wrong)

(it used to be a symbol of peace, correct me if im wrong)

DeletedUser

so squaw used to be a good word and got totally corrupted?

sounds a lot like the schwastika (sorry if i spelt it wrong)

(it used to be a symbol of peace, correct me if im wrong)

yes thru human ignorance and racism Squaw was turned from an innocent word to one of vulgarity, same can be seen happening with more recent word useage.
actually it was a symbol of the winds and possibly for comets and such but yes it was corrupted, just like alot of symbols which were innocent or had no evil relations were given evil relations thru the church or others who were misguided and such.

DeletedUser

At least we have settled the Squaw view. The first paragraph of the page on "Squaw" is good for explaining it.

DeletedUser

yes but by removing the word from the language is even more ignorance, children must be taught the true meaning of words and their language so it is not lost or twisted beyond knowledge.

failure to imbue ones culture into their young will cause their culture to vanish.

DeletedUser

And also Political Correctness is also intolerant, a paradox.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

And also Political Correctness is also intolerant, a paradox.

yeah sadly that is true Political Correctness is supposed to be about Tolerance and yet it has done more damage then good to those it tries to defend.

DeletedUser

Man Indian is a fine word to use. How many americans actually call them Native Americans.

DeletedUser

Well since the populace of America derives from Eurasia, i think none can.

DeletedUser

Just because I can't resist in response to a few pages back.

Columbus landed in the west indies Which Technically belong to the Americas (North, South, Central, and the Islands of the Caribbean) So no he didn't ever set foot on US soil but he did set foot on American Soil.

As for the other assertion I made I stand corrected as I can't cite a source for the whole derivation of Indian rumor.

DeletedUser

Just because I can't resist in response to a few pages back.

Columbus landed in the west indies Which Technically belong to the Americas (North, South, Central, and the Islands of the Caribbean) So no he didn't ever set foot on US soil but he did set foot on American Soil.

As for the other assertion I made I stand corrected as I can't cite a source for the whole derivation of Indian rumor.

your correct i meant US soil but at the time it wasn't the US :p, not too mention columbus wasn't the first European to come to this side of the Atlantic.

DeletedUser

Definately not, remember my mention of Stone-Age atlantic-crossers? Also Leif Erikson.

DeletedUser

believe it or not there is substantial circumstantial evidence of Coastal Africans having trade/contact with South America pre Columbus. It's just a matter of most World History (at least in the US) being Euro-centric. Remember history is usually written by the Conqueror not the Conquered.