Increase Maximum Friends

HelenBack

Minor idea...

Idea title:
Increase the maximum number of friends allowed.

Details of idea:
Change the maximum number of friends allowed from 100 to 150.

Reasons for submitting:
To help new players who are having trouble getting enough friends for events. Most of the older players have full Friend Lists and can not add the new players to their lists. I often see in chats, new players asking for people to add them and old players apologizing that they can't.

When Inno decided to cap the limit at 100, some players "lost" 70+ friends without any warning. That forced us to choose who was "worthy" of a spot on our Friends List. Some people even took offense at being kicked from someone else's Friend List (even if it wasn't their fault).

This is an online game that is played all over the world. Is 100 really enough? 150 would help a lot... :cool:

Edit:
Adding to details:

If Inno is concerned that removing the limit or increasing the limit may create an imbalance because older players would have a lot more friends than new players, they could limit the number of event currency allowed per day to 100. However, once those older players are able to add the newer players, they may likely be past the 100 limit anyways. ;)

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Or more even. Why a limit? Not like I have friends just for rockets.

HelenBack

Agreed... I had 170+ friends before all the rockets/hearts/etc... Those were not just because I want something from them.

I think they enforced a limit to help new players be more balanced with old players when the rockets/hearts stuff started... But it kind of backfired. There aren't enough new players to give rockets to each other and the old players can't accept anymore requests to help them out. So the old players are full and the new ones are struggling.
:rolleyes:

I have some old friends that I don't want to part with, but they aren't sending Fireworks/Hearts/etc... They are still on my lists. I only took a couple of them off if they were on Vacation Mode so I could take on a few more new players to help them out. After the event I'll remove the new players as the old ones return from VM.

DeletedUser20054

I think it was because of the server overload with all those friends.

I would like more friend slots indeed though, so thumbs up.

DeletedUser

Even 100 is already a big number for the resources it consumes...

This is only a matter to get free bonuses on the tombolas. So let the 100 stay. Don´t waste precious resources on things that doesn´t help out.

DeletedUser29238

I'll give two options:

1. Remove stupid events where you have to click to send stuff to peeps in friend list. All problems in world solved.

2. Change it so that, actually, when you click your friend, you yourself receive stuff, like fireworks. So anyone who doesn't bother click their friends don't get anything, but those who click peeps on friend list get full benefit of their clicking. Then you could also remove 100 limit of friend list, but can make it so that only first 100 clicks gives you stuff and rest won't do anything to avoid people getting insane amounts of stuff.

DeletedUser34408

Loophole? Come to an arrangements with friends, not necessarily all 100 of them, as soon as they send you rockets, remove them from your friends bar, add other contacts and as soon as rocket sending is done with the new contacts remove them also and add more contacts or reinstate the old contacts again and repeat the cycle daily, you could probably amass quite a few extra rockets per day this way if you have the nerves for it. lol

DeletedUser33353

Meh.....I think there are other issues that need to be tended to than the amount of friends allowed. I would also think anything more would dog the crap out of the server.....or at the least my archaic computer. :)

DeletedUser34315

I think there should be unlimited friends- but also a "send all friends event things" button, to prevent resource overuse...
Also, friends list could be set up to load locally on demand, to free up client computer.

DeletedUser26820

I'd vote for a slight to moderate increase in the Friends List to like 125.
I'd vote against unlimited friends.

I really don't think a decision as such should be made based on it's impact to the server(s). I've bought enough nuggets for a building expansion and a whole new wing to be filled with servers. Servers are cheap. Data storage is cheap. Heck, what are portable flash drives going for these days, $10?? No offense, fellas, but an argument for it's impact on the server(s) is a very weak one. Briscoe's server used to handle what, 1600 toons? We're down to about 1100 active. With a loss of 500 active toons on Briscoe, there should already be ample server allocation for it's 1100 active toons to add another 25 Friends for events.

My observation of the "Friend's List" is that it's turned into a collection of the most active toons that will reciprocate with rockets/flowers/eggs for events. Simple as that.
It's not about having the ability to see when a "friend" comes online or being able to whisper a "friend" that's not in your alliance or in Saloon Chat. There are already multiple opportunities to do that thru town, alliance & Saloon chats and even sending a tg saying, "Meet me at XX:XX time in /join "whatever" private chat.

A Friends List is your individual collection of active toons, hate them or love them or hate them, that will reciprocate and participate in events for mutual reward.

This is one of the reasons why I proposed the telegram options for "Friends"....
Whether or not they love me or hate me, they're active, and if I want to get a message out, I'm getting that message out directly to active toons.

I agree with Gandalf for a "Send To All Friends Event Things" button. One click every 24 or whatever hours. But as I got grief about complaining to having to click-click-click 53,000 times to get an upgrade achievement, I'd expect some resistance here. So be it.

Helen -- I'm not sure how increasing the Friends List from 100 to 125 will help "new" toons. But I'll vote for your proposal to increase it as it will benefit "active" toons.

DeletedUser36559

I would like the friends list to be increased but on the other hand people who play multiple worlds will probably have to do about 1k clicks a day and this will 'overload' the server.

DeletedUser35520

i say NO. Too many previous events were lagged horribly for the first few days of events due to all of the "gifting" eggs/rockets/etc when more than 100 could be had. Just change the name mentally from "Friends List" to "Best Friends List" and all is well. Scroll through your current friends list and I am sure you can find one or two who are in vacation mode or no longer play... Also for the new players that pop up during events needing friends suddenly, lots of those are people who just play the events to trade the items across servers or they are players who choose after events to drop friends then re-add once needed. Either way its self inflicted.

DeletedUser35120

Just stop the feature of sending event currencies every event and your friends list will a real friends list. IMO this sending rockets/hearts/eggs, etc everyday looks stupid to me. We were better off without this thing..

And I'm saying this as a daily currency sender, btw.

DeletedUser35520

Just stop the feature of sending event currencies every event and your friends list will a real friends list. IMO this sending rockets/hearts/eggs, etc everyday looks stupid to me. We were better off without this thing..

And I'm saying this as a daily currency sender, btw.

yea its pretty annoying, only matched when you attempt to send rockets "too fast" and get the spinning pistols of doom for 5 mins :censored:

HelenBack

I'll give two options:

1. Remove stupid events where you have to click to send stuff to peeps in friend list. All problems in world solved.

Probably won't happen... It does make people more active in the game... And does make it more of a community game.

2. Change it so that, actually, when you click your friend, you yourself receive stuff, like fireworks. So anyone who doesn't bother click their friends don't get anything, but those who click peeps on friend list get full benefit of their clicking. Then you could also remove 100 limit of friend list, but can make it so that only first 100 clicks gives you stuff and rest won't do anything to avoid people getting insane amounts of stuff.

OMG I need a big THUMBS UP +1 for this! I'm tired of sending out all my fireworks and only getting 2/3rds back. The majority of my friends were there long before the whole event's currency exchange started and some just don't want to take part in it. But that doesn't mean I will remove them from my Friends List. It would be nice if we got the event's currency tallied for sending them and not receiving them.

I think there should be unlimited friends- but also a "send all friends event things" button, to prevent resource overuse...
Also, friends list could be set up to load locally on demand, to free up client computer.

I would love to have unlimited friends too... I do understand that they want to keep things somewhat balanced for the events, so I like Zale's idea of 100 cap on how many you get credit for. But the "Send all friends event thingies" button would be ideal!

Loophole? Come to an arrangements with friends, not necessarily all 100 of them, as soon as they send you rockets, remove them from your friends bar, add other contacts and as soon as rocket sending is done with the new contacts remove them also and add more contacts or reinstate the old contacts again and repeat the cycle daily, you could probably amass quite a few extra rockets per day this way if you have the nerves for it. lol

OMG my head hurt just trying to read that... I couldn't do that on a daily basis. lol :laugh: But yes, you could get a lot more by doing so.

I'd vote for a slight to moderate increase in the Friends List to like 125.
I'd vote against unlimited friends.
I think 150 would be a good amount, but later on it may again need to be expanded. But even 125 would help a lot!

I really don't think a decision as such should be made based on it's impact to the server(s). I've bought enough nuggets for a building expansion and a whole new wing to be filled with servers. Servers are cheap. Data storage is cheap. Heck, what are portable flash drives going for these days, $10?? No offense, fellas, but an argument for it's impact on the server(s) is a very weak one. Briscoe's server used to handle what, 1600 toons? We're down to about 1100 active. With a loss of 500 active toons on Briscoe, there should already be ample server allocation for it's 1100 active toons to add another 25 Friends for events.

Agreed... I don't think cost should be a big issue. Also the number of people who are playing the West (actively or not) has decreased dramatically from what we had playing a few years ago. Servers are now much faster than they were then. Unless they're using the same ones. ;)

My observation of the "Friend's List" is that it's turned into a collection of the most active toons that will reciprocate with rockets/flowers/eggs for events. Simple as that.
It's not about having the ability to see when a "friend" comes online or being able to whisper a "friend" that's not in your alliance or in Saloon Chat. There are already multiple opportunities to do that thru town, alliance & Saloon chats and even sending a tg saying, "Meet me at XX:XX time in /join "whatever" private chat.

Agreed... It seems to be a "fair weather friend" list of peeps who will return the event currency. But there are some of us who are older than dirt and had 170+ friends before the currency events started... They wouldn't fall into the same category. The people in their Friends List were people that had no agenda other than friendship.

I agree with Gandalf for a "Send To All Friends Event Things" button. One click every 24 or whatever hours. But as I got grief about complaining to having to click-click-click 53,000 times to get an upgrade achievement, I'd expect some resistance here. So be it.

Helen -- I'm not sure how increasing the Friends List from 100 to 125 will help "new" toons. But I'll vote for your proposal to increase it as it will benefit "active" toons.

Again I agree to the "Send to All Friends Event Thingies" button... :cool:

Limit to 100 or your max friends. One button... Push it, it calculates how many friends you have (max 100) times the number of event currency for each and adds it to your total. No waiting for your friends to return the favour... No taxing the servers... No taxing the client computer... No spinning pistols of death... Done. Then they can increase the limit or remove it completely.

With a max of 100 friends that you would get credit for, you won't have a big imbalance and with a higher limit on friends (or none), the oldies can add some new (usually active) toons that need to increase their own list to get to the limit.

Honestly, for myself, I don't care about the event currency... I just want to be able to add who I want to my Friends List and not have to tell them there is no space. There are new people who are still asking for more friends even at the the end of the event... but the old folks have no space. And that is not fair to the new players who need to get the new sets the most (they don't have as much in their Inventory).
:hmf:

DeletedUser36182

Since Inno isn't famous for giving anything away seems to me that increasing the number of friends and available points would only result in increased points required to accomplish the same task.
I feel a far better solution would be the creation of some simple task that could be completed in 1-2 hours and for that your reward would be the coveted 2k points eliminating the need to be present at your computer at the same time everyday and needless wear and tear on your mouse making all those clicks. Active players would receive their points as usual without all the frustration of having less enthusiastic players on their lists while giving everyone the same opportunity regardless of the age of their character or popularity. This would also eliminate any possibility of cheating the system by shuffling players in their lists.
One thing I would like to see again would be the community rewards where we as a world accomplish something together

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser35520

like it or not, the hard cap was put in place for 100 friends just over a year ago so i would not expect any sort of change. before that the servers did lag during events. it might all be as a result of inno choosing a method that creates lag and/or issues with the servers, but since it was a semi-recent fix with no follow ups, I wouldn't expect an increase anytime soon

HelenBack

Since Inno isn't famous for giving anything away seems to me that increasing the number of friends and available points would only result in increased points required to accomplish the same task.
I feel a far better solution would be the creation of some simple task that could be completed in 1-2 hours and for that your reward would be the coveted 2k points eliminating the need to be present at your computer at the same time everyday and needless wear and tear on your mouse making all those clicks. Active players would receive their points as usual without all the frustration of having less enthusiastic players on their lists while giving everyone the same opportunity regardless of the age of their character or popularity. This would also eliminate any possibility of cheating the system by shuffling players in their lists.
One thing I would like to see again would be the community rewards where we as a world accomplish something together

It would be nice to have a quest/task/something that you had to do daily to get the same number of whatever event currency you would get if you had 100 friends that you would normally send to. (20 Fireworks x 100 = 2000 Fireworks for the task/quest) However, I think Inno's idea around sending event currency to friends is to get people interacting with each other. ;)

Each Event seems a bit different... Some have a Community Rewards... Actually I thought most did. I'll have to pay more attention. lol :laugh:

like it or not, the hard cap was put in place for 100 friends just over a year ago so i would not expect any sort of change. before that the servers did lag during events. it might all be as a result of inno choosing a method that creates lag and/or issues with the servers, but since it was a semi-recent fix with no follow ups, I wouldn't expect an increase anytime soon

True... I know it was fairly recent, but I'm hoping that things may have changed enough to allow the limit to be increased.

I agree with you Kidd.. same old pc crap here.. besides.. only HelenBack has so many friends.. because she is sooo *HUGGABLE* :laugh:

*HUGGLES CHIEF!!!* :laugh:
Actually, I'm not the only one with this problem... lol :p

Just from testing the waters here... it looks like there are others with the same issues. And it did open a conversation on how to fix the problem.

I do like the idea of:
- Opening up the friend limit to 150
- For Events, have a single Friend Event Button that someone needs to press once per day (active players get more this way) to gather all their Fireworks/Flower/Hearts from their friends.
- Pressing the Friend Event Button gives them 20 Fireworks (or whatever amount of whatever event currency) x the number of Friends to a maximum of 100 Friends. It would also still make people want to add friends to get the max 100 which would keep up the Community building part of the game... Where people actually have to talk to each other. lol

So the server would only need to calculate the number of Friends x the number of Event Currency and add it to the Event Currency Bank.

No more pressing "Send Fireworks" 100x resulting in the Black Screen of Death... Only to get 2/3rds of the Event Currency returned. I think this would lower the stress on the servers.

They could even make the Friend Event Button appear twice a day and lower the amount of Event Currency that is sent to make people work for it. ;)

That all makes more sense... yes? :cool:

DeletedUser22685

Surely nobody has anywhere near 100 people that they actively talk to. I don't see the limit as a problem for most players, but you do have a good point when you mention new players struggling to find available friends for events.

Perhaps a different option would be to incorporate some kind of suggested friends list that shows people around similar level and activity, possibly ones close by on the map or who have friends in common. Sure, the list is only there for events so a random list of available people would work, but we might as well throw in a few relevant factors on the off chance that it might bring some people together.