How Do I Prevent Duels?

DeletedUser

hmm maybe if they make it so when dueler enters a town everyone in town can unload on them at once with there bird guns? history ive read says that happend more often then a meeting at sundown in middle of main street.not to mention a cheap wooden door to motel room, stopping a lynch mob for someone that walked into town and shot a helpless citizen.
that is if you want this to really be like it really was. if so look up lifespans of gunslingers.
just saying it is a game.they want to play at building, if they wanted to duel, maybe thats the charactor they would have picked.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
I get quitting mails all the time but they don't usually make themselves public. They totally miss the point of the game, they are looking for a very simple job/quest game instead.

I always play games for what they are, but it's not uncommon for people to start suggesting huge game changes and new concepts as soon as they start playing.

Oh and I doubt you could decline a duel IRL like he said :laugh:

DeletedUser

you wanna prevent duels have everyone leave their guns at the edge of town

Sorry I forgot the Sarcasm tags.

DeletedUser

i feel let folks do as they wish even in a game. i play a mostly homeless adventurer because i rather move around and quest.builder is that way because he wants to build.and duelers want the fight. i see no reason other then ones personal ego to go after someone else that by the looks of it isnt playing same way as you. after all is your best fights against lower skilled, poorer armed people or that guy that by all rights should off laid you out?
just saying thats why builders may complain.thats also why im a adventurer that stays mostly homeless. so i can travel do quest and visit towns and maybe make a friend like i have yours (check your donations in bank)
there are exceptions such as ones that turn to playing the fighting game from building/adventurer. but, thats just a percent of them,and in those cases they are now on same playing field and cant complain at all.

and no not saying stop them at all.saying i hear more from duelers crying about how builders cry then i hear builders crying

DeletedUser

I understand the necessity for dueling in The West for limited realism, however I am stupefied as to why it is allowed for people to duel me when I am not in my town.
I have been working jobs for three weeks now trying to scrape together enough to buy an expensive item I need to help me finish a quest. I have been careful to stay away from towns so that I would not be robbed, yes dueling is robbery when the person dueled has a very low probability of success, only to discover two-thirds of my money gone. I was under the not extraordinary assumption that I needed to be present in a town with another person in order for that person to duel me or I them, other prerequisites not withstanding. However, upon reexamination of the rules for dueling I disturbingly discovered that my presence is merely a convenience, that because I choose to associate myself with a town, any town, I am subject to attack at any time with a few exceptions that have been previously stipulated by others in this thread as ways to "stop" being dueled.

Honestly, is this any way to live? In constant fear of having our earnings taken, we must resort to extreme measures to safe guard that which we have earned through working or dueling. This travesty is not unique to any one class but all. There have been many cases stated by workers as to their grievances, but duelers, adventurers and soldiers that belong to a town also suffer.

Imagine that after arriving at a town and dueling you are waiting the time it takes for you to return to your town and safely deposit your winnings in your bank when you find upon arriving that the majority is gone due to another dueler that visited your town.

How is this equitable? How is it fair that we can be attacked without our avatars even being present? I get that the Wild West was dangerous I have no problem with dueling others in my town while I am there. I do not agree with this ill-conceived rule.

I understand that code takes a while to change and I realize this cannot happen over night. I will continue to play for another month, but if this intolerable rule, that people can be attacked away from their towns, continues, I will be forced to quit as I do not desire to play in fear.

DeletedUser

The consequence of that will be that only builder will be dueled, and that is not very fair to the fighters as they, the builders, don't carry any cash while building. Everybody else will be out of town on jobs or they are sleeping in their hotel, which makes them un-duelable.

Remember, getting money from dueling is what the fighters do, money and XP's. They can even lose their own money if they underestimate the person they duel and lose.

We have all chosen our character classes with the consequences from the advantages and dis-advantages they give. Builders build, they get advantages through that, some builders are the most well-equipped I have seen in the game, adventurers do quests and earn a lot of money and can buy things to help them to jobs, fighters defend their towns, they don't earn that much money from jobs but they get their loot when they win in duels.

DeletedUser

Well then thats absolute crap. :mad:

I shouldn't have to be freaken K.O'd or have my money stolen just because I am a low level and got freaken ambused by a guy a much higher level than me.

I think you should rather be able to accept or decline duels seeing as you could do so IRL.

Still think thats utter BS. :mad:

Well there is one plus side to that statement. If you do get KO'd nobody can duel you for 48 hours, and this is the time in which you do your high money paying jobs :)

DeletedUser

Its a game. Its not his problem. When he wants urgent money, he will duel workers like u and when he wants a real challenge, he will duel DUELERS or Soldiers.

DeletedUser

I play as a dueler, builder and adventurer in three different worlds.

My take on this is rather simple, it's part of the game. My adventurer is pretty decent money maker, if I get hit and lose, it sucks. Then again, I typically deposit my money into the town or bank before I sleep. So unless a dueler catches me at a bad time, they don't really get a whole lot.

It pays to not make yourself "a mark". If a few duelers hit you and they aren't getting much, they will probably leave you alone. This won't stop the occasional random attack, but it will stop the repeat attackers.

It also pays to be a member of a decent sized town that is allied with it's neighbors. That can cut down on local attacks. Plus if you are a builder, having a town that will launch retaliation attacks will cut down on the BS. Also, keep in mind, if your town has duelers and you are a builder, a lot of the money in the town Treasury for you to build with is probably "stolen"

Anyways, for the most part my builder is left alone. He's hit every now and then. But no more than once or twice a week. Most duelers have enough honor to not attack builders.

My personal policy with my dueler is this. Builders are off limits (unless my town is what war or other strange circumstance). Other duelers/soldiers are obviously far game. As are adventurers. Some adventurers hate that. But meh, I think they are legit targets. Especially considering that there are a lot of "dueling adventurers" out there.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I cannot speak for each and everyone of our members, but I myself never duel pure builders. For me it's an unspoken law of dueling that is followed by 90% of the high level duelers I know (and being close to the RR family that is quite a few :p).

Going for builders (with construction focus) is a rather cheap tactics, I certainly don't approve of.

If it's however due to a 'true' town war, then hitting builders is a very effective and legitimate tactics.

If it happens you get dueled all the time, try to ask politely to refrain from attacking you. You will notice that many players are quite reasonable and can be talked to. If it doesn't help, ask your duelers or another strong town for help. We have helped towns in the past. After all relationships are quite important in the West.

Cheers,
Bonez

DeletedUser

Some, for lack of a better word that won't be censored, jerk, dueled me and of course (me being a lowly builder and him a...I think a soldier?) I lost. Luckily I have put all my money towards my town so he got zilch out of the BS fight.

So, how do I prevent myself from getting into duels? Like, how do I turn them off? I don't want to duel but I can see jerks like him are gonna be a problem in the future. His class really should be "bandit" since in reality he is trying to steal my money unfairly.

Another thing, if this isn't preventable by turning off an option, why the hell isn't it? This crap is a real game killer if you ask me. :mad:

bold: stop swearing, there are kids reading this BS!!! ;)
bold + underline: there's NOTHING unfair to this. you do quests, building and working for a living, they (we) duel for a living!!! it's like saing to you: stop building and doing jobs!!! I think you'd swear at them!
underlined: there's no way of preventing your self from getting into duels except:
1. don't be in a town :)
2. don't play the game if if you don't want to get duelled or leave your town and if you think it's cr@p! :dry:
3. stay at the same level for years till every one gets too strong for you! :unsure:

DeletedUser14239

If a worker is so worried about being dueled just rearrange some of your skill points into the dueling skills. I am a worker in world 8 and i did this and I have been able to defend myself in duels, in others words I haven't lost one duel yet and I still have about 200 labor points in contruction.

DeletedUser35040

I am a busy person outside the game, so even if I queue the maximum number of work assignments I am not always able to get back to the game in time to go to put my money in a bank before several people duel me and take most of it.
On Dakota I play as an adventurer. What annoys me the most is that I specified in my profile that I do not want to be dueled, and yet people do not respect that wish!
This is hampering the development of my town as I am the only resident and only plan to invite more people when it is mostly finished.

delldell56

simple advice given by most hardcore duelers: do not advertise your wish on your profile. it only makes you more of a target. would work better if you manage to make a few powerful friends that spread the word and keep you somewhat protected. or, there is always the easy way for us non-duelers to find peace: once you have used up your energy, have banked and are ready to put your character to sleep, go duel some of your offenders until you ko yourself. 48 hours of minding your own business.

Deleted User - 1278415

Im a worker on 4/5 worlds I play on. So Ive seen my fair share of duels.

Most duelers will move on if you dont talk to them. If you tell them that they are hurting you then most likely they will keep on doing it.

Put a bounty on them can make you feel better and maybe if someone else tries to collect it the bandit will go after that person instead.

Watch the duelers hit pattern and dodge aim accordingly might help.

When you are building put on your construction clothes, set the job to build, then get into some dueler dodge/tactics/toughness/reflex clothes. I use the 2 sets that we are given, 1 for construction and 1 for protection clothes. If a dueler sees you with a wrench or bare fists you are sure to get dueled. Its the west, better protect yourself. Edit oh and if you are getting hit all the time by a melee guy then go all toughness. always by a firearm then go all reflex. just depends on who is targeting you mostly.

DeletedUser35040

Still, why do people continue to duel me when I specify that that is not what I want?
Why can't they respect my request? I'm sure that there are a lot of others out there who would be perfectly willing to duel with them. How do they interpret "I do not wish to be dueled" to mean "go ahead and duel me"?:mad::huh:

DeletedUser

Dueling is (was) a massive part of the game, live with it and stop crying!
By putting request in your profile or messaging duelers you look like the wimp you are and will be targeted for the hell of it.

DeletedUser

Still, why do people continue to duel me when I specify that that is not what I want?
Why can't they respect my request? I'm sure that there are a lot of others out there who would be perfectly willing to duel with them. How do they interpret "I do not wish to be dueled" to mean "go ahead and duel me"?:mad::huh:

Because people like you who expect to be left alone are usually walking ATM machines that funds duelers!

You choose to work for exp and money, we choose to duel you for the same. :D