"Hope dies last" quest

DeletedUser36031

I apologize if it's not in the correct thread!!!!
Need to know how can I kill General Ulysses Simpson Grant. It's the last part of the quest "Hope dies last"..... Can someone help me please.

Apelatia

Here you go:

[spoil]Equip your best appearance gear, and set your stances to stand up and aim head... The General has a set HP of 750, if I remember correctly.[/spoil]

DeletedUser

hey's vigor as well, means if you go high on toughness and shooting, and have lower vigor then your toughness and higher shooting then your reflex, you do a helluva good lot of damage, not to mention get a lot more appearance and as little as possible tactics

Cactus Poke

I got him finally! For me his targets were static (they did not match my tactics). After he killed me the first time, I adjusted my dodge and targeted him just as he was targeting me - it's not all head shots and ducking :). I did have on my best appearance gear while minimizing dodging and tactics as much as possible

My build was pure fort fighter... All AP in strength.

Protasov

I've found clues on killing the "Surprised Bandit" (which I completed successfully), as well as the final kill of "General Ulysses Simpson Grant", but I seem to be stuck in the middle on killing the "Vengeful Bandit" (quest id: 683).

I assumed, incorrectly, that he was a mirror, as I fought him when i only had 9 HP left, and I hit him for 115 HP over the first 6 rounds, and he survived, then he hit me for 13 in round 7 and I lost the duel.

So what is the strategy for killing the "Vengeful Bandit"?

DeletedUser36192

I've found clues on killing the "Surprised Bandit" (which I completed successfully), as well as the final kill of "General Ulysses Simpson Grant", but I seem to be stuck in the middle on killing the "Vengeful Bandit" (quest id: 683).

I assumed, incorrectly, that he was a mirror, as I fought him when i only had 9 HP left, and I hit him for 115 HP over the first 6 rounds, and he survived, then he hit me for 13 in round 7 and I lost the duel.

So what is the strategy for killing the "Vengeful Bandit"?

a cool method is leaving town and just spam duelling him, doesn't matter if you die that way - just go for the odds. 1/1000 times you'll win it somehow :p

Protasov

a cool method is leaving town and just spam duelling him, doesn't matter if you die that way - just go for the odds. 1/1000 times you'll win it somehow :p

I think that would be fine for a mirror opponent. But I'm pretty sure this fellow has a fixed HP.

And I shudder at the thought of leaving my town. I am the sole member of it, and built it from scratch up to rank #55 (out of #401). Not ready to do that yet.

DeletedUser22685

I think that would be fine for a mirror opponent. But I'm pretty sure this fellow has a fixed HP.

And I shudder at the thought of leaving my town. I am the sole member of it, and built it from scratch up to rank #55 (out of #401). Not ready to do that yet.

The chances of that specific ghost town being taken over during the 8 hours you're absent are insanely small (might be 10 hours if you can't found a new town immediately after leaving another one, I've never tried it). When you come back everything will be the same as how it was, although I can understand the reluctance to take even that small chance. Isn't there someone you can trust to mind the town for you for a couple of hours?

Anyway, it shouldn't need to come to that. It's been a long time since I've had to resort to spam duelling an NPC, perhaps since the new gear and weapons available give you such diversity. I'm guessing the duel you mentioned wasn't the only one you've attempted, but I still don't recall this duel being overly difficult.

If TW-DB is to be believed, the vengeful bandit only has 500 HP. With a decent weapon and the best appearance clothes you own it shouldn't be hard to deal 500 HP, even if he hits you for more. If they're wrong about the HP it'll be a little tougher, but there's really no other trick to it without respeccing unless he's the same as those earlier quest NPCs who had a fixed stance that you could account for after a few duels. I noticed that someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the General was like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Protasov

Anyway, it shouldn't need to come to that. It's been a long time since I've had to resort to spam duelling an NPC, perhaps since the new gear and weapons available give you such diversity. I'm guessing the duel you mentioned wasn't the only one you've attempted, but I still don't recall this duel being overly difficult.

If TW-DB is to be believed, the vengeful bandit only has 500 HP. With a decent weapon and the best appearance clothes you own it shouldn't be hard to deal 500 HP, even if he hits you for more. If they're wrong about the HP it'll be a little tougher, but there's really no other trick to it without respeccing unless he's the same as those earlier quest NPCs who had a fixed stance that you could account for after a few duels. I noticed that someone earlier in this thread mentioned that the General was like that.

Many thanks for your advice. It took about 50 more tries, with various gear changes and tactic changes, and I finally KO'ed him, by doing exactly 500 damage. Whew.

I'm not looking forward to General Ulysses Simpson Grant, I can tell you that. From what I read he has 750 HP, which will be a stretch for me, to say the least.

DeletedUser36192

Maybe invest a little bit on some better duel gear just to get you a small advantage on the NPCs

DeletedUser38158

I defeated him easily with the wolfman's set, one try and he was done!