Holocaust memorial planned alteration

DeletedUser

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/06/08/2009-06-08_off_mark_on_holocaust_park__pol.html

The part of this article that got me is this quote from Assemblyman Dov Hikind (D-Brooklyn)

The Holocaust is a uniquely Jewish event.

While almost everyone will agree that the Jews of Europe suffered the most and bore the brunt of Hitler's "Final Solution" they were not the only victims. Anyone who didn't fit the mold was fair game in the Nazi's eyes. Isn't the mere act of calling it a "uniquely Jewish event" dangerously close to either being a denier or falling into the same "Eugenic" mode of thought as a certain megalomaniacal painter from Austria?

Discuss

DeletedUser

Of the 6 million (give or take a few) people killed in Poland, about 3 million of them were Christians. At least I've read that a few times, maybe someone from Poland can correct me if that's wrong.

DeletedUser

Maybe uniquely Jewish in terms of the percentage of the world's population killed, but I'm not even sure about that. The extermination of Romani might have been comparable percentage-wise.

DeletedUser

When people hear Holocaust they think of WWII and the Jews. Is that persons statement 100% accurate. I do not know. But the perception that it is accurate is the basis for it.

DeletedUser

http://www.holocaustchronicle.org/holocaustappendices.html

while not exactly the figures you were looking for I found these tables enlightening.

while the estimated figures still leave the ratio at @ 6:1 Jewish:Gentile (give or take) that is still a ton of corpses. It also fails to take into account prisoners killed/died in transit or murdered on the streets or in acts of resistance so the #'s are undoubtably higher.

DeletedUser

When people hear Holocaust they think of WWII and the Jews. Is that persons statement 100% accurate. I do not know. But the perception that it is accurate is the basis for it.

But the perception is based on a fallacy and reduces the Gentile victims of the Holocaust to a "lesser" status (which is what gets my goat) The National Holocaust Memorial/Museum (part of the Smithsonian Institute in Washington D.C) includes references to the other targets of Nazi Cleansing
http://www.ushmm.org/wlc/article.php?lang=en&ModuleId=10005143
why shouldn't a memorial park in Brooklyn, NY?

For Whom the Bell Tolls

by John Donne

No man is an island,
Entire of itself.
Each is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manner of thine own
Or of thine friend's were.
Each man's death diminishes me,
For I am involved in mankind.
Therefore, send not to know
For whom the bell tolls,
It tolls for thee.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Jeez, some people can be so ignorant. Even if it was uniquely Jewish, which it wasn't, people need to realize that the atrocities that occurred can happen to ANYONE, thereby making it a uniquely human event. Everyone should know about it and take time to consider how horrible it really was, no matter the race involved. I am scottish, but being blind in one eye would have made me a target. Got a limp? Dead. Look different? Dead. Have wonderful ideas not in line with their thinking? Dead.

DeletedUser

Agreed Iggy. I'm also still dismayed the attention to the Holocaust continues to distract from the far larger holocausts of U.S.S.R., China, Africa, and just about every indigenous populace. It is a human event --- they all are --- and attention should not be spread to encompass merely the atrocities of one man, but the atrocities of Man.

DeletedUser

The whole purpose of remembering the Shoah has always been not an exercise in self pity or mourning but a dedication to a purpose......NEVER AGAIN unfortunately that purpose gets lost when we/they focus on a specific group instead of humanity........that lost purpose allows continued genocide world wide

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then... they came for me... And by that time there was no one left to speak up."
Pastor Martin Niemöller

DeletedUser

Wow, I do not know why but this thread is getting me emotional. Well, I know why, but it is affecting more than I thought it would. And yes, I agree with you Hellstromm, these atrocities continue all over the world. It truly saddens me to hear of it.

DeletedUser

The whole purpose of remembering the Shoah has always been not an exercise in self pity or mourning but a dedication to a purpose......NEVER AGAIN unfortunately that purpose gets lost when we/they focus on a specific group instead of humanity........that lost purpose allows continued genocide world wide

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;
And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;
And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;
And then... they came for me... And by that time there was no one left to speak up."
Pastor Martin Niemöller

Actually, it seems to have become "NEVER AGAIN" but only in terms of "genocides against the Jews". There are have been quite a few instances of genocide since WWII and the civilized world (including the Jews) have shut their eyes to it.

DeletedUser

that's why I've been including the selected quotes......and the intent of the post you quoted

DeletedUser

we agree with your agreeing to our agreement of this egregious situation.