Hell's Guide to Fort Wars

DeletedUser

Any class can declare a Fort Battle. All your town needs is the money.

DeletedUser

Please forgive what must be a stupid question but I have searched everywhere and read all the guides but still I struggle to understand. Due to problems with port access I often have to play fort battles offline. Say I am defending and I place my player on a wall where should I move next to be most affective? If I pick a square and someone else has picked it as their square to move to which one of us gets it? Most battles, when attacking, seem to have everyone packed on the East side so again where would be the most useful place to move next? I ask 'cos I seem to always end up charging like a headless chicken to my doom! Sorry for the long diatribe but any help would sure be appreciated.

DeletedUser

Part of the answer is here: http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=45523
That is a guide to battle movement, it explains who moves first, so it will answer your question about: who moves in the square you picked.
As for effectiveness as an offline defender: is a really tough one, because it completely depends on the attackers tactic and you don't know it until the battle starts.
I have problems loading the battles as well. Most times resetting my router does the trick, sometimes nothing works, but I keep trying. You should try google chrome browser for battles. I noticed it loads faster than FF.
http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=45523&highlight=battle+movement

DeletedUser20647

Please forgive what must be a stupid question but I have searched everywhere and read all the guides but still I struggle to understand. Due to problems with port access I often have to play fort battles offline. Say I am defending and I place my player on a wall where should I move next to be most affective? If I pick a square and someone else has picked it as their square to move to which one of us gets it? Most battles, when attacking, seem to have everyone packed on the East side so again where would be the most useful place to move next? I ask 'cos I seem to always end up charging like a headless chicken to my doom! Sorry for the long diatribe but any help would sure be appreciated.
Point on towers.

DeletedUser

Thanks for getting back to me on this and thanks for the guide which hopefully will be a big help. Off to war now so if I have read it all correctly I should last more than one round At least I will die with style in my new black leather jacket and brown stetson. My plan is to defend and try and start off on the Duellers tower. With most attacks seemingly coming from the East and defenders shooting first I guess I can move back from the tower and keep my LOS on the East wall ready for when the attackers come over. Does that sound right to anyone?

So much for that plan!!!! Get to fort an hour early, pick my spot, pick my place to move to. Wait for battle to start .... "can't connect port bla bla bla" so close and try to go in again but now a message to say that I have missed the battle 'cos all the places were taken ... What the [expletive deleted]. I guess me and fort battles just are not meant to be :-(

Now for a long walk back home.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

With most attacks seemingly coming from the East and defenders shooting first I guess I can move back from the tower and keep my LOS on the East wall ready for when the attackers come over. Does that sound right to anyone?

If you're ordered to bail to the north wall (or bail in general). If the entire east side bails, you have to be careful about too much LOS on the north or south walls, or sniping in the north or south. Too many snipers seem to think that bail orders don't apply to them and get hammered when the towers that were protecting them bail.

DeletedUser

Thanks again for your help but one final question if that is ok. The last two battles I have missed because all the places were taken despite getting to the fort early and selecting a spot. Am I right in assuming this is because I was not a member of the towns the fort belongs to and/or not a high enough rank?

DeletedUser

That would make sense as I am only lvl 55 with a precise musket. Perhaps time to concentrate on other things to level up. Thanks for replying.

DeletedUser31859

Man...i really liked your telegram. thats a good style. it will increase the liking of others for fort battles and they will come to know about the fort battles in great detail....you have made life easy for losers like me (won 6 lost 13 battles) :)

DeletedUser

thanks, I keep telling myself I'll finish (and update) this dang thing, but always find better things to do. :p

DeletedUser

Great overview. Certainly more helpful than the "Help" page. However - having parked myself on a wall for a day and a half to make sure I got to participate in my first fort battle, I log on this evening to find out I wasn't there????? Does this mean-:
(a) despite the blurb to the contrary, it is essential that you be on line for the battle, and if so (b) is this yet another example of this game being designed and targetted to Northern Hemisphere players, because I'm damned if I am going to get out of bed at four in the morning just to play a browser game!!!
I guess I'll just have to be content being a lonely cowpoke, doing jobs, filling quests, and building my town.
Wal

DeletedUser

Great overview. Certainly more helpful than the "Help" page. However - having parked myself on a wall for a day and a half to make sure I got to participate in my first fort battle, I log on this evening to find out I wasn't there????? Does this mean-:
(a) despite the blurb to the contrary, it is essential that you be on line for the battle, and if so (b) is this yet another example of this game being designed and targetted to Northern Hemisphere players, because I'm damned if I am going to get out of bed at four in the morning just to play a browser game!!!
I guess I'll just have to be content being a lonely cowpoke, doing jobs, filling quests, and building my town.
Wal

Do you mean you had a report saying you didnt get to take part in the battle ?
You don't have to be online.
You do have to signin for the battle.
You do have to be at the forts location at the time the battle begins.

Anyone can call abattle, I don't understand why you all don't get together and call your own battles this way your have the upper hand in attack atleast :). Good luck and have fun.:)

DeletedUser21582

My guess is that you were not ranked; online players are seen to have more value because they can adapt to the flow of the battle, whereas offliners do not. Esp. in smaller forts, the generals will rank those onliners above recruits and fill all positions with ranked players.

If you want a better shot at getting into a battle as an offliner you should look for medium/big forts.

DeletedUser

fort battles are initiated by players. Many of the fort battles I participated in were at horribly inconvenient times (and I'm in the U.S. at present). Offline participation in a fort war isn't even remotely interesting and tells most Generals that you're just in it for the xp, not to actually assist one side or the other in winning the fort battle. As such, and as previously stated, you're likely not to get ranked. If there are more than enough people at the fort war, you won't be included in the fun (seeing as you're offline, you wouldn't participate anyway).

DeletedUser

Don't expect a lot of special treatment if you're always offline, but offliners will always be needed to fill medium and large battles. I hate offline battles, but since I always encourage people to join medium and large battles offline because we'll need them to fill, I'm kind of obligated.

The most important thing to remember if you know you'll be offline, or even if you're absolutely positive you'll be online ("stuff" happens), is to always set your target according to any instructions given in the fort chat topic, telegram, and/or forum topic. You won't necessarily be noticed as someone who always sets his target, but you do stand out if you always don't. You can always talk to whomever set the topic or set the telegram and tell them you've set your target.

If it's a defense, you can always queue multiple sleeps in the barracks in case you don't get in. If it's an attack, you can time travel to work or sleep so you'll arrive after the battle starts. If you get in, your queue will be canceled; if you don't, your time won't be entirely wasted and you won't be sitting idle at the fort.