Gun Control (Right to Bear Arms)

• Thread starter DeletedUser13682
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Lol David, those stats don't help you in your debate not even one bit. In fact, they clearly demonstrate that guns are indeed a problem, with 80% being used in crimes having been obtained illegally, either through theft (from a legal owner) or from friends/family (again, legal owners).

And no, your assumption as to the meaning of flip tail is just plain wrong. It refers to the tail end of a comment being used in argument and, instead, either becomes the only thing measured, or an argument that is not measured at all (and thus floating in the minds of the readers). I.e., a comment that differs from the main substance of a person's argument, added to the end of their post as a sort of parting shot.

DeletedUser11019

in some out back areas..woman and children are promoted to carry fire arms.
in case of animal attacks....this is normally on farms..where there is live stock.

DeletedUser

I know this is totally an American thing, but as an annoying Brit i want to jump in.

In the UK farmers for example who are the most likely to have a gun, if there house is being robbed and they happen to shoot a robber, who may possibly have a weapon, the Farmer can get charged for Murder, or sued for damages by the robber (well it may have changed, it how it used to be)

UK laws rule.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser11019

I know this is totally an American thing, but as an annoying Brit i want to jump in.

In the UK farmers for example who are the most likely to have a gun, if there house is being robbed and they happen to shoot a robber, who may possibly have a weapon, the Farmer can get charged for Murder, or sued for damages by the robber (well it may have changed, it how it used to be)

UK laws rule.

no your are correct..in most o europe..the robber can sue you..
in south africe(wher i am momenteraly)
you MAY not defend your self..the robber has rights too..

but im talking about those out in the middle of nowhere fdarms..lions and sort...warning shots .."where are you?" blam blam.."over here"..blam blam...

DeletedUser

i think gun control is a bad thing becuase then people cant defend yourself and a robber should not be able to sue you for shooting you when you break into your house

and when you have gun control dumb criminals rob you with flashlights and brooms i saw it on TruTv

DeletedUser

He says Guns can be used for Self Defense, we covered that 100 years ago though, so Trainman got on the train a little too late...

DeletedUser

He's also horribly wrong.

Wrong in that:

1. gun control isn't about disarming the citizenry.
  2. guns (and especially assault weapons) are not good weapons for self-defense.
  3. gun control isn't about lawsuits that a robber can impose upon you.
  4. robbers will rob you with whatever they can get their hands on, including your own gun.
  5. TruTv --- no comment

DeletedUser

guns (and especially assault weapons) are not good weapons for self-defense.

You're kidding me? Right?

robbers will rob you with whatever they can get their hands on, including your own gun.

Um... What if the guns secured in a 500+ Gun Vault that is locked and requires a combination to open? In addition, neighbors who are suspicious of everything that goes on because they are somewhat paranoid and crazy middle class rednecks? To get that safe out of there, the robbers would have to come up in a heavy-duty van or a large bed truck and a trolley to bring the safe out on. Moreover, if they want the ammunition, they would have to wheel out the 350 pound safe too, because we keep them separate. I see no point in robbing a huge safe, and I sure as hell wouldn't rob 2 safes.

All of your other points are valid.

DeletedUser

Um... What if the guns secured in a 500+ Gun Vault that is locked and requires a combination to open?

Then your gun isn't going to be effectively utilized in a self-defense situation. Ninety-nine times out of ten, you won't have time to get that gun out of your safe...

DeletedUser

Then your gun isn't going to be effectively utilized in a self-defense situation. Ninety-nine times out of ten, you won't have time to get that gun out of your safe...

who cares, it would be harder than hell for them to steal it. And guns aren't always used to kill things either.

DeletedUser

who cares, it would be harder than hell for them to steal it.

Considering that is what Hellstromm was responding to...a justification for completely unrestricted gun ownership based on reasons of self-defense...I would think anyone responding to his post should care...

DeletedUser11019

? dunno.
but something should be done,,there are laws and other things in place...but illigal guns still get through the loop.
and besides the entire gun industry has to be upgraded..its all old teck now.
huge lawsutes and cases involving dirty weapons is costing the state more than good face and name..reputation as reliable weapons...

joke
BLAM! BLAM! "hello anybody out there?"
BLAM! "yeah,what do you want?"
BLAM! BLAM! "im in trouble"
BLAM! " whats the trouble?"
BLAM! BLAM! " there is a lion at my gate"
BLAM! "sounds bad,i will be there in an hour"
BLAM! BLAM! "thanx, but im outa ammo"

DeletedUser

illegal guns exist because they are stolen or obtained illegally (reported as stolen, but actually sold).

Anyway, moving to David's comments --- as Adelei pointed out, that gun isn't going to be at all useful as a self-defense weapon if it's sitting in a vault. Also, the vast majority of gun owners do not spend tens of thousands of dollars on a vault. At most, they buy trigger locks or secured gun racks, all of which make using these weapons ineffective for self defense.

But last, yes David, i was being very serious. I stated all this in earlier posts, but here I go again:

Hellstromm said:
Weapons, and especially guns, are like security blankets. In real life, they serve only one purpose, which is to give people a false sense of security.

Why? Because it is extremely unlikely, even if you are attacked, you will be able to utilize your gun (or rifle, or uzi, or M3 carbine, or M777 howitzer). Most crimes are committed between familiars, people who know each other. Most others are committed with surprise, acting when a person is not ready, or incapable of responding.

Criminals who have the intent to do you harm are most likely not going to give you the chance to dig in your dresser drawer, disengage the trigger lock, load the cartridge (seriously bad idea if it is already loaded), switch off the safety, cock, aim, and fire.

Oops, you just shot your wife...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser15762

Well, we should be allowed to keep guns for hunting and stuff :laugh: