Guide to being the Greatest Dueler in The West, by the Latigo Kid

DeletedUser

Guide to being the Greatest Dueler in The West, by the Latigo Kid

Some may find this the greatest Dueler guide ever, some will say it's crap, some will say nothing. I'm just going to speak from my experience. (W2 top 12 dueler)

Dueler: Some players love the Dueler class, others hate it with a passion. I've read they are weak and good for nothing and only noobs play as a Dueler. I beg to differ, I have 4 active characters in four worlds and have played as every class and have found that Duelers are the best, if you know how to play with them.

Duelers, right class for you? Duelers are for highly aggressive and active players. As a dueler you should be on constantly going from town to town collecting bounty and getting back to your bank and going to sleep and wake up and do it all over again. If you are not that active and just want to duel passively this is not the class for you. Duelers hunt down players and start fights so if you like making too many friends this is not the class for you. Afraid of being KOed and don't want some big soldier buddy coming after you so you say okay, I'll leave your worker/quaker buddy alone, again dueler is not the class for you.

Advantages: If you are a Dueler you need to know what your advantages are take advantage of them.

The speed on the map is increased by 10%.
This is a nice advantage when traveling from town to town dueling. You can cover more ground and hit more towns 10% faster than any other class.

The motivation for dueling raises faster. It is increased 20% faster.
This is the biggest advantage to being a dueler. Motivation increases 20% faster than any other class! This way here you can continue to duel without having to wait for that pesky motivation to rise. This means you can duel more often than your soldier buddy.

You receive 10% more money in a duel.
If you want money as a dueler... duel... Dueling is your source of income and with 10% more cash... take this advantage.

Jobs: As a dueler jobs are just there to do when your motivation drops extremely low and you are KOed. You're a dueler, you live for the moment, jobs are for sissies :p Dueling is your job.

Attributes: For a gunslinger dueler you want to go 100% Dexterity. I've heard put some in Charisma and some in the other two, but no I say all Dexterity. I've learned that as a dueler you are the aggressor so you need to put your attributes into Dexterity. This will raise your aim and shooting 1 every level. You need your aim so you can hit your target and your shooting to cause more damage to your target.
Melee dueler: Go for Strength so you can raise your vigor up one every level

Skills: I use a percentage system to how I distribute my skills. As a dueler you only want to use the following skills, don't waste them anywhere else. "But I need swimming to complete a quest :eek:hmy:" You're a dueler! don't worry about quests, quests are only if you are KOed or your motivation is so low you get like no experience when you duel.

Skills:
Shooting: 20%(1 attribute every point will contribute so you will have more)
Aim: 20%(1 attribute every point will contribute so you will have more)
Dodging: 25%
Reflex: 10%
Toughness: 5%
Attack: 10%
Defense: 10%

You want a lot of shooting and aim, most important skills when dueling, for the offensive side. Dodging will help out so you wont get hit. I do every fourth skill to reflex (hence 25%) If you think that leaves you a little vulnerable make it every 3 (33%) Reflex and toughness take away from how much damage you take. I don't care to put to much thought into that though. Attack is for when you declare the duel, reflex is more effective so that's why I put more skills into reflex. Defense, you're starting 85% of the duels so don't concentrate on defense. Save this for your soldier friends. Also, you may want to put a couple of skills into health points, I don't deal with that since when you level up it gives you some more health.

KOed: Nobody likes being KOed, but it happens :eek: Oh well, do a couple of jobs for a couple of days and get back out there and Duel some more. Basically, know who you're fighting, stay away from experienced soldiers. Look at their profile, look at their dueling rank and then decide if you can take them. Don't be afraid, don't be stupid either. I've taken out many a soldiers and quite easily.

Well, that's my 2 cents. Any other things I should add or you think this is crap, let me know :D I like it either way.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

You forgot health points in your percentage, it's more important then you make it seem like and if you put more in you wouldn't get KOed so much...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Yeah, skill points towards health are, well, nice, but they add only 10 health points for each skill point. It's not that much. I think, these points are better spent at aim and shooting.

DeletedUser

I do put a few in health points, just not enough to even give it a percentage. I put most defense in Dodging so I don't get hit as much. Also, I put most in aim and shooting so I can KO them before they can hit me hard enough.

Usually my duels are me loose 100 and they are KOed by 6 or 7 round. they only hit me 2-4 times. This is a decent opponent also. I have to fight players 10-20 levels above me cuz my dueling level is so high.

For me Dodging is more important than stamina. If they can't hit me who cares about my health.

DeletedUser

what level should you start dueling people? i am level 9,.

It depends on how you go about building your fighter. Some people prefer a slow build, getting all their stats strong before they start gaining duelling levels.

There is really no right answer to the best skill placement for a dueller. Because each person you fight will have different skillsets, some might look identical in gear/levels but you will get entirely different results.

You can build for accuracy with appearance and aim; or defense, making it harder for people to get a hit; or for hard hitting and health to make sure your damage will be high and you are hard to knock out. Or you can try to create a balanced fighter. Whatever you choose, there will be people who will beat you.

It is all about learning your own capacity, compensating for (or repairing) your weaknesses, and picking your opponents carefully.

DeletedUser

I guess I should have said this is more of a guide for an aggressive dueler. This isn't even my build exactly for W2 until I hit about level 20 I started building my dueler like this. There is never a right way or a wrong way, but for me I like it like this. I'm actually experimenting with a melee dueler in W8 going for all strength. I know this should be a soldier, but I love 20% faster motivation and if I'm dueling ALL the time I want my motivation up there.

DeletedUser

Violette wrote the smartest thing here, I salute you vie.

so you're saying that this isn't useful for anyone trying to create a dueler??? I did say at one point this should be meant for an aggressive dueler. I know there is no specific build for any one class, it all depends on your style and gameplay. These forums are used for a lot of opinions and ideas to help others out. I think for someone trying to create an aggressive, gunslinging, dueler this a very helpful guide. I've gathered this info throughout the forums and also mostly my experience and I think that this would be quite helpful if I were a noob, like I was 6 months ago, when this game first came out.

DeletedUser

You can not ignore your health points. It may not seem like much now but when you reach the higher levels and people are doing total damage of 700-1000 regularly you will be glad for every health point you have.

If you plan on only hitting those that are weaker than you then you probably can ignore your health points. Just hope that someone stronger doesn't come to avenge them or you will spend a lot of your later dueling life ko'd.

DeletedUser

Your guide isn't pure rubbish but what you have created is a tank with a glass jaw. As long as you are the one challenging you will most likely win for several reasons. 1. you get to choose your target, 2. you've chosen mostly offensive skills. Lets someone come after you though and it will be game over.

DeletedUser

I probably should think more about using some health points. I didn't start using this method of distributing skills until like level 20, so I do have some health points. This is why I'm probably able to duel pretty well in World 2.

DeletedUser

If a noob will read this he will just get KOed a lot. don't you know soldiers love dueling duelers? they know it's probably an easy target since a dueler spends more skill points on offensive ones and not defensive ones. health points are damn needed.

I'm not saying you didn't give some good pointers, it's just that in my opinion the best advise here was given by vie and players should really figure out their own tactics that works best for them eventually.

DeletedUser

I joined a town. how do i go about dueling? i am still only level 9

DeletedUser

First find a player your level in a town. Then, on their profile, click "Duel"

Or you can go to a local saloon nearby and see if there's anyone in that town u can duel.