Great FATNESS debate

DeletedUser529

So Airlines are charging over weight people extra....

The dabate..Part ONE.:p

Should the health authorities charge extra......?

What about those donut eatting sit on their behind cops.......Should they be MADE to slim down.....? It would accomplish a few things.....Their performance would be better, They could actually chase after someone and their health would be much better.....? Less drain on tax payer dollars......

=============================================

The dabate..Part TWO.:p

Smokers and drug users......Should smokers of ANYTHING be made to pay more since they put their own health at risk and thus it is mostly tax payers dollars footing the bill.?....IN CANADA anyway......

DeletedUser34315

Part 1: Airlines charging customers that will require more than 1 seat, or an extra-large seat makes perfect sense.
What do you mean health authorities?

Police already do have physical fitness tests.
Part 2:
They shouldn't be made to pay more because they are harming their health, anyone's free to go harm themselves- but almost all items have a "luxury tax", and tobacco is most certainly a luxury. As to costing taxpayers money-this is why you don't want a socialized health care system!

DeletedUser31931

So just my input, a huge amount is spent by the NHS on obesity every year (somewhere in the region of several billion), but surely it would be much simpler if instead of trying to deal with people once they become obese, if we did things like tax fast food restaurants and ready meals. Also, sugar is a much larger contributor to obesity than previously thought, therefore there should probably be a tax on chocolate and other sweet things like pre made cakes (but not actual sugar itself).

My final suggestions are that the government put those mind control chemicals to good use by brainwashing us to eat healthily and secretly install cameras in our homes and everywhere we go, so that they can make sure we're eating well. (Ok those last two were a joke, but the ones before were reasonably serious and it would help the economy by raising more money from taxes)

DeletedUser28032

if we did things like tax fast food restaurants and ready meals

Not really, they've been taxing cigarettes and alcohol for years and people still drink and smoke all it'd result in is the government taking yet more mony off of us.
But yes I feel that it is within an airlines right to charge a fat person for two seats, after all if you've taken up a second seat then thats one less person they can put on the plane.

this is why you don't want a socialized health care system!

Yeah finding out that the NHS is having to spend X amout of million on liver transpalnts for alcoholics and heart by-passes for overweight people is annoying but on the other hand if you was to find yourself with a life threatening illness (through no real fault of your own) then at least you wouldn't suddenly find the hospital saying "Sorry but you can't afford to pay for the required drugs and surgery so we're not going to treat you" the NHS is far from perfect but i'd rather have it than nothing at all.

Police already do have physical fitness tests.

So do ours along with the prison service and at a guess G4S too

DeletedUser529

I look at the nearest TIM HORTONS donut shop and it is the safest place to be in town, because Our Canadian Police are always there......:p

Our police have grown quite Chubby in the last ten years, Eatting donuts, and sitting on their butts all day...:p.....

DeletedUser31931

Are you sure that isn't stereotypes speaking? If you take the Met then they are quite good at what they do. I'd put my trust in them (to a certain extent).

DeletedUser529

Are you sure that isn't stereotypes speaking? If you take the Met then they are quite good at what they do. I'd put my trust in them (to a certain extent).

Everytime I pass a TIM HORTON donut shop there is ALWAYS at least one COP car parked in front......There is a HUGE police force in that town I visit for shopping.......They also train Police officers in the finer art of DONUT CONSUMPTION.....:p....So I am not the one who is stereotyping COPS.......They have managed to do that to themselves all by themselves.....AND DOING A GREAT JOB, by the size of their waists...:p

DeletedUser34315

Not really, they've been taxing cigarettes and alcohol for years and people still drink and smoke all it'd result in is the government taking yet more mony off of us.
But yes I feel that it is within an airlines right to charge a fat person for two seats, after all if you've taken up a second seat then thats one less person they can put on the plane.

Yeah finding out that the NHS is having to spend X amout of million on liver transpalnts for alcoholics and heart by-passes for overweight people is annoying but on the other hand if you was to find yourself with a life threatening illness (through no real fault of your own) then at least you wouldn't suddenly find the hospital saying "Sorry but you can't afford to pay for the required drugs and surgery so we're not going to treat you" the NHS is far from perfect but i'd rather have it than nothing at all.

So do ours along with the prison service and at a guess G4S too

I personally am in really good health-so that may color my approach to health care. I'd personally rather pay a premium to a private health insurance company, and less taxes, with the knowledge that if I do get hurt/ill, I'll be covered- but until that happens, I'm not paying for other people's lack of health.

However, I also see the point that "every person deserves access to quality medical care." Therein lies the problem- not all people can pay for medical care; so without a system like the NHS, they may well not get the care that they need. But, again- seeing a chunk taken out of every paycheck for social security is already annoying(As I'm painfully aware there's no way I'll ever get to claim social security in 50 years), I'm not sure i really want to pay for other people's stupidity(Not at all to say all health issues are caused by stupidity) such as smoking, health issues from being overweight, etc. I don't make very much money, and I've only been to the hospital a couple times in my life- so I would be paying way, way more into a system like the NHS than I would be getting out of it. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I'm not overweight, and I work out- but under the NHS, I'd help pay for all those who do.

In a way, something like the NHS would almost discourage me to do those things- i mean, I'd already be paying the large healthcare taxes, so might as well use it. If I get hurt (Which happens occasionally, as a ranch hand) I try to recover on my own- precisely because I don't want to have to pay to go to the hospital unless actually needed. With a system like the NHS-I'd probably go to the hospital more, tying up resources, money, and time that could be better spent on patients that really need them, unlike me.

In Colorado- i pay around 8 % taxes, counting sales taxes, income taxes, and social security. In Canada, tax rates it appears I'd pay around 40 % tax rate, which according to http://www.fin.gc.ca/tax-impot/2011/2011-eng.pdf means that 10% of every tax dollar goes to health care. Say that i make 40K a year-(I'd love to make that, lol)- in the usa I'd pay an average of 2,985 for a insurance plan.(I've actually got insurance through my job, so I don't pay anything unless I get non-emergency care on my own.) In Canada, I'd pay 4,000(Roughly) dollars in health care money.

I'd get no where near what i put into the system back out of it. Maybe I'm a selfish ass, for not wanting to see huge chunks of my pay check cut to pay for others. Maybe that makes me human, that I want to put my own prosperity first.

DeletedUser529

I would agree that taxes on Soda pop, Junk food should be raised, as well as Chocolate bars, Ice cream etc......Or make it a proportional tax......If your in good shape and look after yourself they have a scale at the food store, and everytime you buy JUNK food the price rises for every pound over a certain limit.....Just being funny not practical....

I also look after myself, I walk lots for cardio and lift weights 3 times weekly....I eat moderately and rarely drink Alcohol and have never smoked ANYTHING.....I enjoy a nice glass of Wine once in a while. My wife and I moved to about the cleanest spot in British Columbia to avoid bad water, poor air and loudness and stress of big cities.....

We pay about $200.00 a month for our health care which is the MAX premium in BC to our government.....

DeletedUser

I personally am in really good health-so that may color my approach to health care. I'd personally rather pay a premium to a private health insurance company, and less taxes, with the knowledge that if I do get hurt/ill, I'll be covered- but until that happens, I'm not paying for other people's lack of health.

However, I also see the point that "every person deserves access to quality medical care." Therein lies the problem- not all people can pay for medical care; so without a system like the NHS, they may well not get the care that they need. But, again- seeing a chunk taken out of every paycheck for social security is already annoying(As I'm painfully aware there's no way I'll ever get to claim social security in 50 years), I'm not sure i really want to pay for other people's stupidity(Not at all to say all health issues are caused by stupidity) such as smoking, health issues from being overweight, etc. I don't make very much money, and I've only been to the hospital a couple times in my life- so I would be paying way, way more into a system like the NHS than I would be getting out of it. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I'm not overweight, and I work out- but under the NHS, I'd help pay for all those who do.

In a way, something like the NHS would almost discourage me to do those things- i mean, I'd already be paying the large healthcare taxes, so might as well use it. If I get hurt (Which happens occasionally, as a ranch hand) I try to recover on my own- precisely because I don't want to have to pay to go to the hospital unless actually needed. With a system like the NHS-I'd probably go to the hospital more, tying up resources, money, and time that could be better spent on patients that really need them, unlike me.

In Colorado- i pay around 8 % taxes, counting sales taxes, income taxes, and social security. In Canada, tax rates it appears I'd pay around 40 % tax rate, which according to http://www.fin.gc.ca/tax-impot/2011/2011-eng.pdf means that 10% of every tax dollar goes to health care. Say that i make 40K a year-(I'd love to make that, lol)- in the usa I'd pay an average of 2,985 for a insurance plan.(I've actually got insurance through my job, so I don't pay anything unless I get non-emergency care on my own.) In Canada, I'd pay 4,000(Roughly) dollars in health care money.

I'd get no where near what i put into the system back out of it. Maybe I'm a selfish ass, for not wanting to see huge chunks of my pay check cut to pay for others. Maybe that makes me human, that I want to put my own prosperity first.

Yeah, you do sound kinda selfish there.

Look, yes, recently the NHS has been getting worse due to the government's failures at providing an adequate budget, or making sure guidelines were enforced. However when the government is working efficiently with the NHS then it really works. Privatisation is not necessarily better, if the government privatised the NHS then who knows what could happen. Look at the mess G4S made of their Olympic security contract. Imagine if those corner-cutting budget obsessed corporate goons were in charge of your healthcare and general medical well-being. I for one would not be satisfied.

DeletedUser31931

Everytime I pass a TIM HORTON donut shop there is ALWAYS at least one COP car parked in front......There is a HUGE police force in that town I visit for shopping.......They also train Police officers in the finer art of DONUT CONSUMPTION.....:p....So I am not the one who is stereotyping COPS.......They have managed to do that to themselves all by themselves.....AND DOING A GREAT JOB, by the size of their waists...:p

I'm pretty certain that if you did a survey of cops then you'd find that at least some of them care about their job and aren't fat. However, there will always be rotten apples. I'd say that I'd be reasonably hard pressed to find Met Officers who spend all day in donut shops or McDonalds, to be honest all things considered, the Met are quite good at their jobs.

DeletedUser

I'm pretty certain that if you did a survey of cops then you'd find that at least some of them care about their job and aren't fat. However, there will always be rotten apples. I'd say that I'd be reasonably hard pressed to find Met Officers who spend all day in donut shops or McDonalds, to be honest all things considered, the Met are quite good at their jobs.

Pity about the MET's failure to deal with racism.

DeletedUser529

For the most part they ALL do not hang out at the donut shop, but it is a VERY POPULAR hang out for them, especially when a person drives by and always seems to see a cop car or two hanging out there. I think when push comes to shoves I would trust a Canadian Mountie......just dont show a knife to them, or a person will be surrounded by a dozen of them....:p

DeletedUser31931

I'd say that's probably taken out of proportion. And don't start me on the racism debate. I hate that word, absolutely hate it, mainly due to its misuse. For example, I was trying to explain to someone recently that racism and homophobia (what would that be, homophobism?) are two different things. They couldn't understand that you could be homophobic without being racist (although neither of the two are good things) and also many things are defined as racism, when really they aren't. For example, I've been told that I'm racist for calling someone black when they were black. That's not racist. What would be racist is if I said that I wasn't going to pick them for my football team because they're black, or that they're stupid because they're black.

DeletedUser529

I'd say that's probably taken out of proportion. And don't start me on the racism debate. I hate that word, absolutely hate it, mainly due to its misuse. For example, I was trying to explain to someone recently that racism and homophobia (what would that be, homophobism?) are two different things. They couldn't understand that you could be homophobic without being racist (although neither of the two are good things) and also many things are defined as racism, when really they aren't. For example, I've been told that I'm racist for calling someone black when they were black. That's not racist. What would be racist is if I said that I wasn't going to pick them for my football team because they're black, or that they're stupid because they're black.

Zemelci pass the Donuts please....the PINK ones with little sprinkles on them....Thank you....:)

DeletedUser31931

Ok, you can be fat, fine by me. I'm not, if that's what you're implying. I don't gorge myself on Donuts and Burger King and things like that every day. I eat responsibly, I eat good stuff, protein, green leafy veg and a reasonable amount of carbs. Anyway, enjoy being fat and knowing that you leach off your health system like a parasite.

DeletedUser529

Ok, you can be fat, fine by me. I'm not, if that's what you're implying. I don't gorge myself on Donuts and Burger King and things like that every day. I eat responsibly, I eat good stuff, protein, green leafy veg and a reasonable amount of carbs. Anyway, enjoy being fat and knowing that you leach off your health system like a parasite.

hahahaha, it was a JOKE........I am a vegetarian, I jog for a good cardio, and lift weights 3 days a week......I bike ride and highly enjoy Carpentry as a hobby and good exercise.....

I prefer to walk to where I want to go, I mow my lawn with a None gas, none electric Push Reel mower.....I don't own all those Gas guzzling toys, and love to go for hikes in the wilderness.....I do not Shoot animals for sport and I also eat Healthy.....

I am also 62 years old.....I want to live and be the healthiest body in the morgue when I die...:p

AND the last COLD I got was well over 20 years ago......I also believe in a VERY STRONG immune system...:)

DeletedUser31931

Well good for you. It's nice to hear about someone that cares for their body. As for you being a vegetarian, I assume you must therefore eat a lot of eggs to keep up a good amount of protein.

DeletedUser529

No chickens.....I grow my own protein.......From NON-GMO seeds free of all herbicides and pesticides.

Here is some Excellent protein sources....

http://www.happycow.net/vegetarian_protein.html

Here are some examples of vegetarian foods with high sources of plant protein:
Protein in Legume: Garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, soybeans, split peas
Protein in Grain: Barley, brown rice protein, buckwheat, millet, oatmeal, quinoa, rye, wheat germ, wheat, wild rice
Vegetable Protein: Artichokes, beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, green peas, green pepper, kale, lettuce, mushroom, mustard green, onions, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, turnip greens, watercress, yams, zucchini
Protein in Fruit: Apple, banana, cantaloupe, grape, grapefruit, honeydew melon, orange, papaya, peach, pear, pineapple, strawberry, tangerine, watermelon
Protein in Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, cashews, filberts, hemp seeds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts (black)

I AM ALSO A TRAMP......

I use a MINI trampoline LOTS, I like exercising on it.......I put on great dance songs on from youtube and do a CORE BODY workout........20 minutes 3/4 times a week........

Last edited by a moderator: