Glyphosate 101

Tucker Blue

1974 - Monsanto's original Roundup formulation hits the shelves. Effective ingredient - Glyphosate. A synthetic compound that is a nonselective systemic herbicide, particularly effective against perennial weeds(1). Effect on humans by consumption - Unknown. 40 years later, it's the most widely used herbicide, the effects have been determined and it's not good news.

Why not? Glyphosate has been linked to cancer(2)(3)(4) and is listed as a human carcinogen. It's an endocrine disruptor that disrupts hormones(5) leading to obesity, reproductive problems, diabetes, the list goes on and it's more damaging from low amounts of exposure(6). It's also a broad spectrum antibiotic which means it kills bad bacteria along with the good bacteria in your stomach. Poor stomach health has also been linked to a list of diseases(7). Not only is it being found in our food, it's made it's way into our water(8), land and air(9)(10).

In March 2015 a federal report was released(11) and the Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee, the voice for the FDA, recommended a plant based diet for the first time ever. Red meat has been pushed to the bottom of the heap. Good news? Not so much. In 2010 President Barack Obama appointed the former Vice President of Monsanto, Michael R. Taylor, the new Deputy Commisioner of the FDA. Hmm, a former VP of a GM seed producing company that's also pushing Round Up wants you to eat more fruits and vegetables. Take a moment to face palm.

We're being played. Fresh produce is supposed to keep us healthy, not give us cancer, diabetes and depression. And the more unhealthy we are the more pills we will inevitably ingest. Score one for Big Pharma. It's a vicious circle manifested by a group of greedy individuals that want your money so badly they'll sell you food that kills you. Who that may be has been debated for years but one common theme continues to prevail; If you want to find the culprits just follow the money trail.

It's time we stopped this silly and wasteful trend of growing lawns and turn them into vegetable gardens. A greenhouse would be the preferred method but not necessary. Fruits, vegetables and herbs help to keep your liver clean and working in tip top order(12). It keeps your blood clean so it flows easily through you. One of the same reasons indoctrinated doctors tell you to drink poisonous alcohol. It also controls fat loss. The healthier your liver is the better your body will be at burning fat. Hmm, poison or fruits, veggies and herbs? The smart choice is clear. Add a dash of dandelion and burdock root with a pinch of milk thistle and turmeric and you have a liver cleansing recipe that will keep you healthy and vibrant until your final days. Say no to Roundup and yes to a long, healthy life.

DeletedUser35277

Monsanto is Evil. Go organic as much as you possibly can. Grow heirloom vegetables so you can save the seed for replanting the next year. Read the labels on the food you buy. Stay away from high fructose corn syrup as well. Thanks for posting, Tucker Blue. HOpe more people open their eyes to this nefarious business .

jarograv

http://www.glyphosate.eu
Lots of debunking of these points on that site. Monsanto is even a member of that site, so you know it can be trusted 100%.

Regardless of which sources you believe, how do you think we'd fare globally if glyphosate was outright banned? The use of pesticides such as glyphosate leads to greater crop yields (1) and with the population continually growing it will be harder and harder to meet the demand for food.

On a local scale, even just eating organic in your own home comes at a major price (2). Doubling your grocery bill is something the average person cannot afford to do. Sure you could grow your own vegetables, but that's not a sustainable option for over 80% (3) of Americans who live in urban areas. Sure, they could grow a few plants in their garden but that is a drop in the bucket compared to what they will consume over the course of a year.

Until we have some method of sustainable agriculture that doesn't cost twice as much, I say bring on the glypho.

DeletedUser35277

So, you trust Monsanto to tell you the truth and buy all their horsepuckey about it being safe? Farmers are not allowed to use heirloom seeds so they are forced to buy Monsanto. They cannot save seeds to use the next year. There's an increase in their costs that gets passed on. Glyphosate and GMO foods rob the vegetables of micro nutrients. See this page to see how and why that is so.
https://www.caltonnutrition.com/weed-killers/
Talk about starving? How about eating lots of food but it isn't supporting your body because it's been robbed of it's micro-nutrients. It's a long article but well worth the read.

DeletedUser33353

I seldom comment on this sub forum, but as a farmer type I would like to point out a few things.....
1% feed 99%. Think about that number for a moment......scary, isn't it?
Without things like gmo seeds, glysophate, etc. y'all would be a touch hungry.
Here is a thought, use birth control.
The population explosion, golf courses, McMansions, regulations, etc has killed the small farmer.
Ergo, corporate/commercial farming is what is keeping the world fed.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34408

Just to throw my 2 cents in, there has definitely been a population explosion over the past 20 years or so but no way are we over populated. According to wikipedia the current world population is 7.6 Billion
gvilxu
. https://prnt.sc/gvj0af

Putting it into perspective, the total area size in square metres of the State of Texas, U.S.A. is 695 Billion square metres
gvimqa
https://prnt.sc/gvj0k6. So basically, the entire worlds population can fit into the State of Texas and have 100 square metres of land each which leaves the rest of the Earth's land for agriculture, industry, infrastructure and whatever else we need.

Unfortunately corporations and finance oligarchs more or less dictate how and what we consume and they want to keep it that way as per U.N Resolution draft known as Agenda 21 - Sustainable Development https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/outcomedocuments/agenda21 which if you download the PDF file and thoroughly read through it you will find it's just a mechanism to control the popullation, the less people there are the easier they are to control, i.e., power.

fortfighter1

I am a farmer and have completed a pesticide course on using chemicals and i contract spray a lot of ground for a lot of farmers. I am also on a chemical buying committee for a farmers buyers group. I have a degree in Agricultural science and have done numerous courses and attended lectures and field talks on chemicals.

Glyphosate is one of the safest chemicals i have ever used. Table salt is more carcinogenic than glyphosate and that is a fact. Do not believe a fraction the stuff that those hippy tree loving people who know nothing about the real countryside say. Of all the products i have used in the past on crops i would have to say glyphosate is the safest product i have used .

DeletedUser35533

Im one of those people who has always been for GMOs. Never really saw an issue with them and no one who is against them has given me a valid reason beyond them "not trusting something man made because unlike the natural thing it is more likely to have flaws or end up twisted in some way" , other kinds of paranoia and of course some hearsay. What I don't like about Monsanto is their seed patents, obviously they need their r&d money but I think a better deal could be worked out to make seeds more available, Monsanto seems to taken few hits and is now on its way to being sold so who knows what future holds and how that aspect of the industry develops.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser26820

Just to throw my 2 cents in, there has definitely been a population explosion over the past 20 years or so but no way are we over populated. According to wikipedia the current world population is 7.6 Billion
gvilxu
. https://prnt.sc/gvj0af

Putting it into perspective, the total area size in square metres of the State of Texas, U.S.A. is 695 Billion square metres
gvimqa
https://prnt.sc/gvj0k6. So basically, the entire worlds population can fit into the State of Texas and have 100 square metres of land each which leaves the rest of the Earth's land for agriculture, industry, infrastructure and whatever else we need.

Unfortunately corporations and finance oligarchs more or less dictate how and what we consume and they want to keep it that way as per U.N Resolution draft known as Agenda 21 - Sustainable Development https://sustainabledevelopment.un.org/outcomedocuments/agenda21 which if you download the PDF file and thoroughly read through it you will find it's just a mechanism to control the popullation, the less people there are the easier they are to control, i.e., power.

A population explosion? Then use a condom.
Please don't put it into perspective by moving the world's entire population into the state of TX. I live in TX. We don't want them here. Trust me on this one.
I've never found my need to go to the hardware store for a bolt or my desire to go fishing dictated by a corporation or finance oligarch or a UN Resolution.
You're were joking, right?
But I agree that the less people there are, the easier they are to control. Control of a population is simply one bullet more that the "government" has in their gun relative to the populace they've disarmed and dummied into agreeing with them.

Tucker Blue

@fortfighter1 and @DanteNightroad - If either of you had taken the time to read the studies i have linked, neither of you would trust glyphosate and you sure wouldn't call it "safe". And fortfighter1, from your reference to "hippy tree loving people", i can deduce that you didn't even read my article and if you did, it went in one eyeball and out the other. If you came here to point fingers at random groups of people that have nothing to do with this debate, please just don't participate. Thanks.

Next thing i would like to address is the topic of organic crops. They have nothing to do with decreasing glyphosate levels. In fact, glyphosate is used on organic crops. If you still believe organic crops aren't sprayed with herbicides and pesticides you are most definitely incorrect. Until a few years ago, organic crops were sprayed with only organic compounds. But now the FDA has also allowed the use of non-organic herbicides and pesticides on organic crops. Not that that should alarm you, some organic pesticides we have banned include DDT. Yeah, DDT is organic. Not to mention organic crops are grown with natural fertilizer, animal poo. Uhhhh, i'm not stranded on Mars, so no poo food. No thanks. So when you hear the words organic crops, the only thing you should have occupying your thoughts is how it's a complete ripoff and there is still no proof organic crops are any better or worse than regular crops.

And just to clarify, i not only posted the original article, i also wrote it. So i know exactly what's in it.

Last edited:

Tucker Blue

Errrrrrr, you do realize manure has been used for crop production since the dawn of time, correct?
You already eat the products it has been used on. Just saying ;)

There are more commercially successful farmers that use ONLY mineral fertiliser than you think. Fertilisers such as pyro clay, lime, wood ash etc. These enrich the soil just as much as manure would but yes at a slightly higher cost. At the same time lowering if not completely eliminating threats such as E-Coli. You want food grown in a medium that might have E-Coli in it? Gross. But there are companies out there that can afford it and with veganism finally stepping into the limelight, albeit still almost completely misunderstood, companies that sell this mineral fertilised food are starting to get their just dues, the general public will pay more for it. Basically, more people are willing to spend more money on food that was grown like nature intended. In dirt with natural Earth's minerals. Yes an occasional wild animal might drop something in your field and fertilise but that's nature. It's also not a caged beast, the vegans can accept that.

deiben, PaPa nailed his point perfectly. He proved that there is no food scarcity. It is created. i'll have to find the independent studies but the jig is up. There is so much fertile soil being unused in the U.S.A. it's sickening. This is done on purpose to unnaturally create this "scarcity". i put that in quotes because let's be serious, NONE of you know what food scarcity is, you live in first world nations like i do. You can literally beg for enough money to survive in a city, some make a career out of it and make more money than some of you "working stiffs". You might have been hungry at a point in your life but we've never been starving. Ever. Come on now.

Back on track though, there are companies out there that grow produce in dirt and other natural fertilisers than manure. Is a 1lb bag of non-organically grown, naturally fertilised rolled spelt expensive? You bet your sweet ass it's expensive, i pay $16 CAN for it. But it's heirloom, it's non-organically grown, is NOT sprayed with glyphosate based herbicides and tastes better than any Quaker Oats you can buy.

This is 2019, "you can find whatever you want" applies to much more than just the adult entertainment industry.

Oh yeah, fortfighter, Roundup directions instruct you to put gloves on and eye protection. Why do you think that is? SAFE????? That's laughable at best dude. *ed*Even Roundup calls their product "mildly toxic"........ like that has ANY bearing on a decision made by an intelligent person. Toxic is toxic, period.*ed* i can rub pyro clay and lime on my skin and not worry. And in my line of work i actually do get lime and pyro clay on my hands and do not wash it off for hours while i'm working with the dirt i'm mixing. At the end i wash quickly with Sunlight liquid soap and done. DONE. So uhhhh what's safer? Yeah sure glyphosate is buddy......sure it is.

Last edited:

Al35ul

Why the hate against manure :p? I grew up on (sort of a) tomato farm, my old man used cow manure (for a good number of years) for them and I ended up ok after eating them (the tomatoes) :D

Last edited:

fortfighter1

Try put some raw lime into your eyes or leave it on your skin for a while and see what happens. Lime in its pure form can be bery dangerous and can cause burning of the skin which will leave a nice green blister. Gloves, eyes protection and mask should always be used when working with it.

Pankreas PorFavor

Roundup directions instruct you to put gloves on and eye protection. Why do you think that is? SAFE????? That's laughable at best dude. Even Roundup calls their product "mildly toxic"........ like that has ANY bearing on a decision made by an intelligent person.

people also wear protection when they work with concentrated vitamins. there's exposure, and there's over-exposure.

Toxic is toxic, period.

wrong.
you can drink a six-pack of bear once in your life. or drink it every day of your life. or you can (try to) drink the same volume of absolute ethanol at once.
or, you can be on a normal balanced diet with enough vitamins. or one with no vitamins at all. or poison yourself with 1 million IUs of vitamin A.