Genetic predisposition: excuse?

DeletedUser

This was brought to my attention be Hellstrome in another thread. Does genetic predisposition provide a valid legal defense or an excuses for behavior and to what degree does it mitigate if any? I don't ascribe to the belief that genetics have complete control over how people act. People make series of decisions that lead to their current behavior, and even if genetics played a role in the appeal to said behavior they ultimately have the responsibility for their actions.

DeletedUser

If you are only refering to homosexuality, I'd have to say that they don't need an excuse or legal defense for their actions. If you mean a genetic predisposition to do something illegal, you'll have to be more specific about what it is.

DeletedUser16008

Stop banging the drum willy. Everyone here is very clear you are attempting to justify your personal opinion towards a certain sector of society. So much so im wondering if your not wrestling with a personal demon inside there ?

If your asking is it ok to "come out" then Mr rainbow warrior sure it is, no one here will give you any grief over it, least of all me or HS

DeletedUser

If you are only refering to homosexuality, I'd have to say that they don't need an excuse or legal defense for their actions. If you mean a genetic predisposition to do something illegal, you'll have to be more specific about what it is.

Actually I was referring to genetic predisposition in general as an excuse for behavior. The type of behavior is not relevant.

Stop banging the drum willy. Everyone here is very clear you are attempting to justify your personal opinion towards a certain sector of society. So much so im wondering if your not wrestling with a personal demon inside there ?

If your asking is it ok to "come out" then Mr rainbow warrior sure it is, no one here will give you any grief over it, least of all me or HS
Actually this is a separate topic. Inferring I am gay is adolescent, and adds nothing to the discussion.

DeletedUser

Now this is silly.
You ask a question:
Does genetic predisposition provide a valid legal defense or an excuses for behavior and to what degree does it mitigate if any?
Then, two sentences later, you claim to know the answer:
People make series of decisions that lead to their current behavior, and even if genetics played a role in the appeal to said behavior they ultimately have the responsibility for their actions.
I can't take you seriously.

DeletedUser16008

I was merely asking a logical question, ive seen it before with people with such an attitude, fear of others is often a mirror of ones own deeper feelings and fears, especially when it conflicts with their upbringing.

I knew a guy once, strict Jehovah Witness upbringing, used to do all sorts of anti gay stuff when we were young, even to the point of picking on them out in public.... spent a good 20 years or so coming to terms with his inner self because of his family and upbringing...ruined his life during that time and ended up in prison for 8 years for beating a guy half to death all because he was afraid of his own true feelings.

Turned out he was about as gay as they come and has only been truly happy since he came out about it..... hes also now a born again Christian.

DeletedUser

I find the question hard to answer for a few reasons, but the main one is that I don't really believe in a person being "predisposed" to homosexuality. I believe it is inherent, and that's a big difference. If you are predisposed to something, you are just more susceptible to it. When it is inherent, it's a part of who you are.

DeletedUser

Now this is silly.
You ask a question:

Then, two sentences later, you claim to know the answer:

I can't take you seriously.

That is why it is a debate...

I was merely asking a logical question, ive seen it before with people with such an attitude, fear of others is often a mirror of ones own deeper feelings and fears, especially when it conflicts with their upbringing.

I knew a guy once, strict Jehovah Witness upbringing, used to do all sorts of anti gay stuff when we were young, even to the point of picking on them out in public.... spent a good 20 years or so coming to terms with his inner self because of his family and upbringing...ruined his life during that time and ended up in prison for 8 years for beating a guy half to death all because he was afraid of his own true feelings.

Turned out he was about as gay as they come and has only been truly happy since he came out about it..... hes also now a born again Christian.
Still off topic.

DeletedUser

I find the question hard to answer for a few reasons, but the main one is that I don't really believe in a person being "predisposed" to homosexuality. I believe it is inherent, and that's a big difference. If you are predisposed to something, you are just more susceptible to it. When it is inherent, it's a part of who you are.

Do you think pedophilia is inherent? Really this is just semantics. Does you genetic makeup excuse your behavior (regardless of what you want to call it)?

DeletedUser

Actually, I don't believe that pedophilia is genetic. As I said before, I also don't believe that homosexual behavior needs to be "excused", "tolerated", "defended" or whatever else you want to throw out there. Priests and nuns live lives of celibacy (supposedly); I think it's entirely their business if they don't have sex with anyone, as long as they don't try to force others to live according to their preferences. If other people live their lives as homosexuals, that's also their own business and doesn't require my approval.

DeletedUser

I've never seen any scientific evidence that indicates that it is inherent, but I have seen several studies that showed that most (if not all) pedophiles were victims of abuse themselves as children.

DeletedUser

I have heard rather that the brain creates chemicals that cause damage to the brain when people (and children especially) are abused in various ways. This includes abuse of neglect as well as overt physical or psychologically damaging interactions. So this would reflect nurture not nature.

DeletedUser17143

The fact is that every brain is different. If you compare the brain of someone who likes shoes to that of a person who does not like shoes, there will be differences in the activity. Likewise with the brains of pedophiles and non-pedophiles. So saying that a pedophile has a brain abnormality isn't really true. Their brain is just different to yours. When compared to that of another pedophile, some of the activity may be more similar.

I guess the point I'm getting at is there is no such thing as an abnormal brain. If you were to compare my brain and others like mine (that of a person who openly accepts the rights of all gay people and women) to that of yours and others like it (a chauvinist/bigot) there will be abnormalities depending on whos side you are taking as the morally correct. To pass something on as abnormal you first need to establish what normal is... now there's a good debate.

DeletedUser

The fact is that every brain is different. If you compare the brain of someone who likes shoes to that of a person who does not like shoes, there will be differences in the activity. Likewise with the brains of pedophiles and non-pedophiles. So saying that a pedophile has a brain abnormality isn't really true. Their brain is just different to yours. When compared to that of another pedophile, some of the activity may be more similar.

I guess the point I'm getting at is there is no such thing as an abnormal brain. If you were to compare my brain and others like mine (that of a person who openly accepts the rights of all gay people and women) to that of yours and others like it (a chauvinist/bigot) there will be abnormalities depending on whos side you are taking as the morally correct. To pass something on as abnormal you first need to establish what normal is... now there's a good debate.
So are you saying there is no genetic predisposition? No need for insults by the way... I think the normal is generally considered well functioning and I am quite sure there is such a thing as abnormal brains especially after head trauma. Those who suffer from mental disorders may have dysfunction with one or more areas of their brain.

DeletedUser17143

So are you saying there is no genetic predisposition? No need for insults by the way... I think the normal is generally considered well functioning and I am quite sure there is such a thing as abnormal brains especially after head trauma. Those who suffer from mental disorders may have dysfunction with one or more areas of their brain.

My point was that there is no such thing as abnormality. It all depends on what you are comparing them to and what you are classing as normal. If I were to look at 100 cases of a brain with head trauma and one without the one without in that case is the one with an abnormality. And the same can be applies to people with mental disorders.

DeletedUser17649

To answer the question.
As it's about legalities I have really no idea and it of course changes from country to country but: I'd say that it depends entirely on how much this "genetic predisposition" influences said behaviour.

But there, are of course, other factors that should be taken into consideration.
_
The problem is that our genetics influence how we live, to what degree I can't say but very much indeed, would be my guess and people might get problems if they find themselves in situations.
For the sake of argument, take someone who has the "genetic predisposition" to be a 'adrenaline junkie' or just has the need to move around and need much personal space (and why not add a hot temperament?) ends up in a situation where they work in a small space, surrounded by other people.
They can't move and aren't given the space they require, add in the temper and it sounds like dynamite to me.
_
But if it's about legality, and as this seems to be about sexuality.
One just have to ask oneself if the behaviour should require the legal system and if that case why?
Does behaviour hurt another person physically or mentally or economically?
Would the legal system do more damage than the behaviour itself
Etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Would it be insulting to say that they haven't found enough with brains to study yet? If so, I'll just say that I don't believe they have done one yet...:unsure: