Game Rules changes 2020 - Questions

DeletedUser34084

I do like the list that xShteff made... But is it up-to-date? Should some scripts be removed from the list?

If you mean the one on the forum then no, it's probably not up to date. If you mean the one we've hosted over on GitHub then it's probably up to date. The org currently has 8 people in it (and anyone is free to join), anyone can update the list at any time.

HelenBack

A lot of people are confused about which scripts are allowed and which ones are not. Some have removed ALL scripts so they don't "break the rules", but are getting frustrated because they can't do some of the things they used to do... And when the next Event hits with giving Pretzels to all your friends, people's frustrations are going to skyrocket.:annoyed:

I know that a list may not be completely "up to date" if the creator decides to add something to it, but it would really help for clarification. The Rule still states that The use of bots or scripts is strictly forbidden..... This really sounds like ALL bots/scripts are forbidden.

I've been using so many scripts for so many years, I don't even remember what the "bare-bones" West even looks like anymore. :blink:

§7) Bots, Scripts, Macros and Proxies
The use of bots or scripts is strictly forbidden. <--- ALL?

Examples:
It is prohibited including, but not limited to:

• The use of bots or scripts that automatically collect your resources; <--- The button at the bottom of the Market screen that allows you to pick up all the items/money? Or prompt you when you arrive at a town?
  • The use of click-bots or scripts that minimize your manual clicks; <--- Friend script for sending Event currency (Pretzels)?
  • the use of programs that mimic premium features or provide an unfair advantage

Edit:

BTW, I just checked what the previous rules were... It included:
"Players can make use of scripts that have been published in the specific forum area and respectively allowed by the team. Until a script has been approved publicly by the team, it is considered as illegal and it’s not allowed to be used."

Why was this taken out? :oh:

Bill Paxton

Not all scripts are illegal. The rule refers to the use of scripts that give players an unfair advantage,such as the duel warner and the silver/gold scripts (and of course the ones listed in the original post).

Scripts such as westforts, friends script, twdb etc are allowed

That's the old rules. The new rules are:
"The use of bots or scripts is strictly forbidden."

There is no room for interpretation. So if you say there are grey areas that either means you are not up to date or your team is not executing this rule, for now. :)

The latter case would make the whole rule change pointless...

flarian

That's the old rules. The new rules are:
"The use of bots or scripts is strictly forbidden."

There is no room for interpretation. So if you say there are grey areas that either means you are not up to date or your team is not executing this rule, for now. :)

We all know, alot of the rules have been grey areas for the mods. where they put their own interpretation first.

Because mostly the rules are not well written.
They cover only 1/2 of the problems this game is facing in a ruleset way.
And we don't have enough mods, to enforce them.

Poker Alice

Because mostly the rules are not well written.
They cover only 1/2 of the problems this game is facing in a ruleset way.
And we don't have enough mods, to enforce them.
In that case, who is going to report or enforce someone for breaking a rule then? o_O

Is there any particular rule you might want to change or create if you could?

I decided in the beginning not to use any scripts because it would feel like I wasn't playing the game but that the bot was having all the fun.

NovaStar

Well, until there is better clarification of these (as mentioned by @HelenBack there are MANY players in the game ready to leave the game entirely. Is that what you wanted @kuro90 ?

We definitely need clarification after having asked several times.

asdf124

Well, until there is better clarification of these (as mentioned by @HelenBack there are MANY players in the game ready to leave the game entirely. Is that what you wanted @kuro90 ?

Leaving the game over potential banning? Guess you never been banned before.... If they ban me over the use of scripts, I would gladly accept it.

Valosi

Sometimes simplifying a rule will either invalidate it or make it more restrictive than intended. There are MANY flaws in the new wording that need addressed. For example:

1. Age requirement would require some form of age verification program. We saw what happened when Google intentionally allowed children to register on YT, and Facebook is also guilty of this. In both cases, their ToS had an age requirement but did not enforce verification. Instead, a viable solution is to add in an acknowledgement during registration which states something along the lines of "This game may include mature content not suitable for minors. By clicking, you acknowledge personal responsibility that you are not restricted from said content by the laws of your country or territory."

2. As many others have stated, "noob" or "n00b" are derogatory terms. "Newb" is a short form of "newbie", which is an affectionate term for a new player. It should also be noted that words which are acceptable in one culture may be offensive in another. For example, "otaku" is considered acceptable in the US and even encouraged, but it is extremely derogatory in Japan and translates to "fanatic". A mod would have to not only consider the cultural meaning of a word or phrase, but also the context in which it is presented. Thus, it's easier to place a soft ban on insults or mockery with room for exceptions than it is to outright allow or disallow specific examples.

3. Support for terrorism is also something that requires better wording. For most, BLM is a segregationist/hate group that borders on domestic terrorism, but for a small number of people, they're heroes. Some people will tell you Boris Johnson is an anti-Scottish bigot, while others think he's a good politician. A blanket ban on discussing real life politics in-game would make much better sense, and banning any group that prioritises one demographic over another (i.e. is not all-inclusive) should likewise be banned under the discrimination clause in the ToS. Allowing one but not the other creates too much room for abuse.

Incidentally, a rule against supporting terrorists means the game should remove any references to Jesse James. He was an ex-Confederate soldier notorious for murdering and dismembering numerous individuals, both armed and unarmed, including shooting at least two children, as well as other horrific acts. His gang also wore KKK hoods in one of their robberies and were avid supporters of slavery (the James family itself owned several slaves). While he (and sometimes his brothers) have become popular among many modern youth, including him would be no different than including any other butcher as a "hero figure" in other settings.

4. The new wording regarding scripts should be reverted. I have been playing this game on and off for years, and the scripts are what allow me to enjoy it. Just about everything is either outdated or minimal in the actual game coding, and scripts such as TW Essentials or TW:CALC are what keep the game alive. Implying that all scripts are forbidden means you'll lose a lot of players who feel the game is no longer playable.

Think of the scripts as being similar to Fallout 4's Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch, which is a mod patch that fixes countless bugs and gameplay issues that Bethesda refuses to address. Scripts add quality of life gameplay by improving game menus, adding features that should have been in the base game (for example: If you want a Fancy Tie, why check every single town when you can do a search using TW-DB and locate the towns that actually sell it?). Sure, there are scripts out there that allow cheating, but (as discussed through most of this thread) the wording needs to be restored in the ToS that reflects this distinction. Also, ading a list of "acceptable" scripts doesn't require INNO to own those scripts, nor does it hold them reliable for the content. Just add in there that these are a "list of third-party scripts which do not violate the ToS and may therefore be used at the player's own risk".

NovaStar

4. The new wording regarding scripts should be reverted. I have been playing this game on and off for years, and the scripts are what allow me to enjoy it. Just about everything is either outdated or minimal in the actual game coding, and scripts such as TW Essentials or TW:CALC are what keep the game alive. Implying that all scripts are forbidden means you'll lose a lot of players who feel the game is no longer playable.

Think of the scripts as being similar to Fallout 4's Unofficial Fallout 4 Patch, which is a mod patch that fixes countless bugs and gameplay issues that Bethesda refuses to address. Scripts add quality of life gameplay by improving game menus, adding features that should have been in the base game (for example: If you want a Fancy Tie, why check every single town when you can do a search using TW-DB and locate the towns that actually sell it?). Sure, there are scripts out there that allow cheating, but (as discussed through most of this thread) the wording needs to be restored in the ToS that reflects this distinction. Also, ading a list of "acceptable" scripts doesn't require INNO to own those scripts, nor does it hold them reliable for the content. Just add in there that these are a "list of third-party scripts which do not violate the ToS and may therefore be used at the player's own risk".

Well said!

flarian

In that case, who is going to report or enforce someone for breaking a rule then? o_O

Is there any particular rule you might want to change or create if you could?

I decided in the beginning not to use any scripts because it would feel like I wasn't playing the game but that the bot was having all the fun.

I have said my points allready pretty early on in this topic. certainly asking to clarify rules.
Also we aren;'t allowed to question the enforcing of the rules because that is off-topic it seems.
even though when the rules become gray areas, it's up to mods to decide. so it will slow down the enforcing part, and the fairness in situations.

Girlie

"Quote

The use of bots or scripts is strictly forbidden.

Examples:

• the use of bots or scripts that automatically collect your resources;
  • the use of click-bots or scripts that minimize your manual clicks;
  • the use of programs that mimic premium features or provide an unfair advantage
  • "unquote

So if support in the earlier years has accepted the scripts we may still use them? Or maybe you can give us list over the ones that will be accepted?

Al35ul

I will pass it on and ask to see if the wording of the rule in question can be changed. I can, however, assure you that players will not be banned for using scripts such as TW-DB, West Forts and so on.

That is definitely not what we are aiming to do :). If at any point players need clarification, then do please contact us and we will provide such help.

Girlie

How do we know which script are allowed?? I have asked support about the scripts I use. Can I get a list which is allowed and which are banned? Why are you destroyed the script that make the game easier to play?
Can you provide us with a legal list please???

Girlie

"Quote

The use of bots or scripts is strictly forbidden.

Examples:

• the use of bots or scripts that automatically collect your resources;
  • the use of click-bots or scripts that minimize your manual clicks;
  • "unquote

So if support in the earlier years has accepted the scripts we may still use them? Or maybe you can give us list over the ones that will be accepted?
please reply :)

asdf124

please reply :)
Any script that automates any process is prohibited except buying items from the town shop. This includes sending event currency. Tw-calc/tw-db aren't illegal. The west toolkit nor tw friends are illegal. Even thou tw toolkit has a function that automates sending to a certain alliance/town/players a telegram by specifying them.
Who are you expecting to reply ?
The mods I would presume.