Free Recording Software

• Thread starter DeletedUser31931
  • Start date

DeletedUser31931

So I want to start doing Let's Plays at some point in the near future, however, I have yet to find a recording software that works for me. I'm currently using CamStudio Recorder, however, it refuses to do sound for me. Does anyone know of a good free screen and audio (both mic and speakers) recorder, or just an audio recorder. (I could then edit the audio onto the vid.)

DeletedUser34084

Uhm, Fraps is the only one I know... you could also try Xfire, it's something like a messenger, pretty decent with recording ingame stuff :)

jarograv

What I believe most LPers that I watch do is record the game using something like camstudio which should also be able to record the in-game audio then use something like audacity to record your voice over audio. Use audacity to import the audio from camstudio (You should be able to do that) then you can see both audio tracks on two separate audio streams which can be altered to reduce game sounds. Save that audio and you could use windows movie maker or maybe even camstudio to sync the audio and video which can then be uploaded. That should work, however I've never tried to record a game with voice over myself.

Sambee

The West Team
Forum moderator
I use fraps but the problem with it now is if you get the latest version you'll have to pay to be allowed to record long videos. I have version 3.4.0 and available for download on the site is 3.4.7 and 3.5.99. Overall it works pretty good for what I was it for.
Me and a few friends do Minecraft, Age of Empires and Worms lets plays which we all record and it picks up sound fine and the picture quality is good.
Make sure you have plenty of disc space while recording though. I did a 4 hour video and the raw footage took up 250+ gigs but when I saved it as a video in moviemaker it went 7 gigs.

DeletedUser31931

I have a 1TB hard drive. Space isn't exactly a problem. How long is a long video (as defined by fraps).

EDIT: Found out long is 30 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser22685

Audacity is a free, audio only recording program that's pretty basic. You'd be better off with something like Fraps which has already been mentioned for recording video as well though.

DeletedUser31931

So I just downloaded Fraps, and the problem is that there is a max recording time of 30 seconds when free. I was thinking more like 30 minutes free. Just a note for anyone thinking of trying Fraps.

Therefore I think I will go with jarograv's suggestion and I will report back on my findings (perhaps even link the vid so that you can judge for yourselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I first used Fraps 10 years ago to make a GTA Vice City stunt video. I don't remember if it had the 30 second limitation back then because the clips, which were spliced together with Adobe Premier, were much shorter.