Fix to dueling level

DeletedUser

Proposal
Are you tired of your dueling level rising while you are away, and your dueling level shooting sky high? Are you tired of zero motivational duelers owning the world? Are you tired of dueling levels and dueling motivation? Well how about this? We receive skill points/ap for character level and skill points/ap for dueling level. That's right, you receive skill points for dueling based on your dueling level.
Current Workaround
Players focus on either dueling, fort skills, jobs, or buildings.

Details
For each level up, a player receives 3 skill points to use on non dueling skills. He will receive 1 attribute point that will be applied to every non dueling skill in that attribute.
The player's dueling level will also rise at the level up, so he will also receive 3 skill points that he may only place on dueling skills, and he may place his attribute point on any skill, but the attribute point only applies to the skills in the attribute that are used in dueling.
For example, I am level 9. My non-combat skill set is the following:
9 mobility-which boosts the green skills to 9 horseback riding, 9 hiding, and 9 swimming.
I would have 27 skill points to distribute. I choose to place them on hiding, so 9+27=36hiding.
Now for my dueling skill set. I have a dueling level of 10. I choose to place 5 on mobility and 5 on dexterity. So my skills from the dueling level are as follows.
5 mobility= 5 reflex and 5 dodging.
5 dexterity= 5 aim and 5 shooting.
I choose to place my 30 dueling skill points on dodging. My dueling skill set looks like this.
5 reflex, 35 dodging, 5 aim, and 5 shooting.

My total skill set would look like this,
9+(5dl) mobility- 9 horseback riding, 5 reflex, 35 dodging, 36 hiding, 9 swimming
0+(5dl) dexterity- 5 aim, 5 shooting, 0 trapping, 0 fine motor skills, and 0 repairing.
Abuse Prevention
None really, except maybe people using both skill sets to influence their jobs, by using appearance + a non dueling skill to get better jobs faster.

Visual Aids
Dueling skills by attribute (Any dueling level attribute used only affects the following skills)
Strength:Vigor, toughness, and Health points
Mobility:Reflex and Dodging
Dexterity:Aiming and Shooting
Charisma:Tactics and Appearance

Regular level or non-dueling skills (Any attribute gained from a regular levelup only affects the following skills)
Strength:Construction and Stamina
Mobility:Horseback Riding, Hiding, and Swimming
Dexterity:Setting Traps, Fine motor skills, and Repairing

Charisma:Leadership, Trading, and Animal instinct
Summary
This would allow people to duel and work jobs, as well as make hp tanks and work jobs for fort fighters. I believe the game would improve if this is implemented.
Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes/No
Does this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? Yes/No

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

I'm glad I read the idea again before replying. I partially misunderstood the concept. The main issue is being forced to specialize in order to be the best at anything. I really don't see that as a bad thing. You shouldn't be the best at everything. It's not that your idea is illogical, because it really isn't, but I don't think there's anything wrong with having to choose. If you want to do everything, you have plenty of worlds to choose from, or you can respec.

As far as the abuse prevention goes, I don't think that's a huge issue now. Before the dueling changes it would have been, since shooting and appearance are such great job skills, but with the increased emphasis on dodging and aim I don't see the dueling-jobs overlap as a problem.

DeletedUser

The main thing this would fix would be a level 20 dueler with a dueling level of say 50. he would be able to compete against zero motivational duelers. Maybe the problem could be fixed in another way. What if you didn't have two different skill sets, but A) maybe reward players with skill points or attribute points for each level over their dueling level. I am not certain whether or not the a player should receive 1 ap and 3 sp for each level his dueling level is higher than his regular level. But maybe some type of skill bonus at least.
b)the same dueling range formula until dueling level 99. recreate a new dueling level range of dueling level 99-infinity.

I'm glad I read the idea again before replying. I partially misunderstood the concept. The main issue is being forced to specialize in order to be the best at anything. I really don't see that as a bad thing. You shouldn't be the best at everything. It's not that your idea is illogical, because it really isn't, but I don't think there's anything wrong with having to choose. If you want to do everything, you have plenty of worlds to choose from, or you can respec.

As far as the abuse prevention goes, I don't think that's a huge issue now. Before the dueling changes it would have been, since shooting and appearance are such great job skills, but with the increased emphasis on dodging and aim I don't see the dueling-jobs overlap as a problem.
The abuse of players choosing 1 ap for dex and 3 sp in shooting for their dueling skills combined with charisma ap and appearance sp for their non dueling skills, would not be possible because appearance and shooting are both dueling skills, so therefore you may only choose those skills for dueling skills. And if you chose charisma for your non dueling ap, it would not boost your appearance or tactics.

Elmyr what if you when you dueled, it didn't give you xp towards your real level and only towards your duel level, or at least dueling gave a greatly reduced amount of the xp to your regular level. Along with that, your dueling level was the level that would give you skill points to use on any skills. (so your regular level didn't give you any sp or ap and you could use the dueling level ap and sp on any skill). The level requirements for quests and gear would still be by regular level. Players would still need to raise their regular level in order to equip items.

This is just a suggestion, not to be confused with the content of original post.

DeletedUser30224

I made some calculations:

Say I am lvl 10 duel lvl 10

Currently I am able to spend 10 AP's and 30 Sp's = 10*5+30=80 points (each AP holds 5 SP's).

With the new formula:
I will spend 10 level AP's on mobility (hide, swim, horse)[30 points] and 30 sp's on hiding = 60 points.
I will also spend 10 duelLevel AP's on mobility (dodge, reflex)[20 points] and 30 sp's on dodging. = 50 points

Total of 110 points, 30 points extra.

If we do not get any duel SP's, then we should be cool with points (110-30 = 80), we will have 10 points from AP on all 5 mobility skills (10 hide; 10 horseback; 10 swim from level and additional 10 dodge; 10 reflex from duel lvl). The difference it is that we cannot assign our SP's from level to dueling skills ... so that will not do.

Instead why not get only AP's from duel lvl (applied only to dueling skills) and AP's and SP's from normal level applied to anything ?

A lvl 10 with duel lvl 10 would have 10 mobility and 30 hiding + aditional 10 points in dodge and reflex = total points of 100.

Then why not jut make it that after each duel-lvl-up we get extra duel skill point?

Will this solve 0-mot problem? NO, they will have the same amount of skill points as you ... slightly lower or higher even, they can only duel with few points up and down from their duel lvl. If they keep motivation down, they will still beat the crap out of the same duel lvl.

If we add hp as duel skill, then make yourself a dueler, rise your duel lvl to heaven and then convert to fort fighter ... I am sure they would take you with 20k hp. Also, there are jobs that can be performed with appearance, tactics, reflex, toughness, shooting ... and having them extra points from duel lvl's makes high jobs available easier, not to mention that 2 fellas with +100 duel lvl can have real fun guessing why one couldn't beat the other, while the latter one put 100 points in tactics while the first put 100 points in dodge.

I don't know if this would be beneficial...I am sure I didn't took in consideration everything, please let me know where I am falling short.

Red Falcon

I like this idea except for the increase in attributes. Why increase your attribute twice if only dueling skills will be affected? Instead of wasting an extra attribute point on dueling skills of that attribute, why not offer a couple extra skills instead? Like 1 or 2 more skill points for a total of 4 or 5 skill points for every dueling level a person reaches? Of course, these skills can only be used towards dueling skills.

DeletedUser22685

This would be incredibly unbalancing in favour of duellers who, as zd3no said, could just increase their duelling level to 200+ and then respec with more than double the points they'd have otherwise to allocate to fort fighting, FMS, trading or basically anything else you can think of that would give them an uber advantage. Besides, what's to stop these duellers from respeccing their non-duel SP to duel skills after they've allocated them? It's not like you can make a separate category for each when respeccing because fort fighters would HAVE to duel to level up or they'd have no way of increasing their aim, dodging or even HP. Even if you did allow cross respeccing between duel and non-duel skills, fort fighters would still have to respec their points at each level up which is a considerable strain on your funds if you're a low level or non-premium player. Oh, and did I mention that AP would be useless for fort fighters and anyone who needs shooting or appearance for jobs? Next we'll have "duel shooting" and "job shooting" sub-categories.

Big no to this.