Fireworks, fireworks, fireworks

DeletedUser

You know what I could never understand? Obviously this applies to Britain as I don't know about other countries. :)
Fireworks used to be set off on the 5th of November to commemorate Guy Fawkes and the Gunpowder Plot.
Yet these days, people seem happy to set off fireworks at any time of the year. Oh, it's a Friday, 'Let's set off some fireworks!'
Hey, it's my birthday next week, 'Let's set off some fireworks!'
My friend just had a baby, 'Let's set off some fireworks!'
It kind of loses it's stature if something is overused in such a way. I mean today is the 6th November and people are having a fireworks party. Really?
That's like Americans saying, "I'm not going to set off my fireworks on the 4th July. I'm going to wait until the 5th July and have a fireworks party then!'
It's surreal. :p :D

DeletedUser37114

Some folks can't get things prepared in time for the holiday itself. I know here in the US there are some folks who just don't get the holiday off work and just can't celebrate that day, but they can get the next day off and thus, do fireworks that day in delayed celebration of the holiday. I know I have some family who often spend time around/on Christmas (two day drive) driving up to join their northern cousins and as a result, celebrate early with their friends and late with us instead of on the holiday itself.

In this case, note that November 6th even falls on a Friday this year and that you're likely hearing folks who didn't get the day off to celebrate doing a late celebration now that it's the weekend and they've gotten off work for the week. Not something to be worried about. The argument here is sounding like a "back in my day" nostalgia complaint rather than something that warrants concern IMO, and given that I've noticed nothing of the sort here in the yippee-ki-yay States that supports what you're saying, I'm kinda doubting that it's a widespread trend.

DeletedUser

:laugh: Well that's good. It must just be a British thing.
Seriously, it's not just a day or two after the celebrations. Fireworks aren't on sale all year round, yet somebody somewhere seems to be able to set them off at random times during the year. They must hoard them and then - when they're in a good mood or celebrating - they have a fireworks party. Hey, good luck to 'em. :)

DeletedUser

Does 2 days after Nov 5 and 12:50AM count as them being.....irresponsible? (Putting that politely.)

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
There are good fireworks shops with a huge range that sell them all year round. I really wanted to buy a hundred of the loudest flashiest fireworks we could get and go somewhere to set them off. But I'm currently in an old fashioned English city full of nice law abiding citizens so that didn't really happen. So, I'm tempted to do it when I go back and visit where I grew up, no one will think twice about it there.

DeletedUser

You should come to my city. It doesn't seem to bother them at all. :laugh:

DeletedUser36559

I understand exactly where you are coming from John, in my city everyone just uses fireworks whenever they have a special occasion.. a birthday you know what let's set off fireworks! I think it's against the law to use them in public places or streets but people do it anyway.

DeletedUser

Yeah. Kind of devalues them a little doesn't it? :(
It's like if someone hands you a diamond, you'd be over the moon. But if every single person in the world is given a diamond, it becomes worthless.