Feedback topic on Fridays battle

Hr.Nyborg

Ex-Team Member
Hey all.

This will be a topic where all players gladly will and can post details about the battle on Friday.
Write everything important about the battle. "bugs, lags, and so on"

And if you were not in the battle, i would as well like to hear from you, if your gameplay was slow or you noticed anything speciel doing you normal play time.

Until then. Feel free here to talk about the upcoming fight :)

RaiderTr

I think I know who contacted you :-D
He usually likes experiments :'P

Anyway..
I don't think there will be issues with servers other than a usual hiccup :'P

But while I know the reasoning (work hours of the Dev) what worries me is that 5 pm is very early for the majority and some won't come even if Offline. So even 120 feels impossible.

Unless u make the Advertisement greatly and everywhere possible :-D
(In game mass-Telegram as a GM, Server announcement pop-up, home page www.the-west.net etc)

Last edited:

Goober Pyle

The West Team
Fort Balancing Strategist
Without event currency or other highly desired reward for turning up there is next to no value in just upping the attack number -- it will not come even close to filling.

What we need, AFTER EVERY NEW SIGNIFICANT FF SET RELEASE is to find the proper ratio of attackers to defenders that gives a full attack against a full defense a 45-55% chance of winning.

Until we have that we can't reasonably expect people to turn up when, barring an atypical turnout or an awful lead, the outcome is known in advance.
Since the last decent attack win where 92 succeeded against 79, the closest thing we have seen to a decent battle was 82 failing to beat 63

If you want to solve FF's you should abandon using awesomia (where only by incentives can you get people to join attack and you end up turning out lots of unrepresentative players who don't take FFing seriously) and instead designate Fridays in August as "Experiment days" where whatever FF is dug will have different (lower, mostly) capacity limits that ensures a high likelihood of both sides being filled with varying ratios

E.G. (for mediums)
8/6 86 attacking 68
8/13 90 attacking 73
8/20 94 attacking 77
8/27 98 attacking 81

We can then provide feedback on where the ratio feels right, and vote for a new ratio for all fights in September (and maybe even keep the experiment days going in September where we can start moving the numbers up as more people come back to FFing)

The goals should be:
1) both sides always fill while not tending to be oversubscribed to the point onliners get left out
2) [highly interdependent with 1] both sides have a decent chance of winning that depends more on tactics and following orders than on just turning out enough bodies to fill

Goober Pyle

The West Team
If you want to solve FF's you should abandon using awesomia (where only by incentives can you get people to join attack and you end up turning out lots of unrepresentative players who don't take FFing seriously) and instead designate Fridays in August as "Experiment days" where whatever FF is dug will have different (lower, mostly) capacity limits that ensures a high likelihood of both sides being filled with varying ratios

If you are limited to tweaking Awesomia, can you convert Awesomia to a medium and use even lower limits?
The important thing right now is having fights where both sides fill with different ratios so that those of us who care can assess whether the ratio gave both sides a chance (regardless of the actual outcome)

DeletedUser15368

@Goober Pyle it's a good point, that Awesomia requires a lot more than the regular FFers to show up, and that the numbers for medium battles (which is the size we can support on a daily basis) will still be heavily in favour of defenders, due to Tower buffs + Cortina set. As you said, the outcome of the battle is known before the battle takes place, Defenders will win, and that isn't enjoyable for anyone.

As far as I know, we have never tried a GM Awesomia battle, with extra prizes like this, outside of a tombola, so I'm interested to see how interested the berry pickers are, when there's loot involved, and if that could somehow influence the new LCM to bring back fort battle drops.

I think the goal for Awesomia should be encouraging maximum possible attendance on the worlds - engaging with those who don't regularly fort fight, because player retention is a big problem, and my hypothesis is that that is directly tied to the (lack of) quality of the game's PvP (regarding forts - there is only a very small chance that attackers can capture a fort with the half of a balance update that we got after IFBC, which simply flipped the meta from attackers win to defenders win).

RaiderTr

This is meant to be a start anyway.
You can read previous messages of him via his profile.

Also, we don't expect him to fix the mess LCM caused for years now do we?

Hr.Nyborg

Ex-Team Member
First of... ALL BATTLES at Awesomia will have REWARDS Let me be clear on that :-D

Next up, as mentioned, this is a test that will go on for the next many weeks. And the time might change, compared to how much help i can have at my side with the developers if something should go wrong :p

So yeah, this time it is a higher player amount for the attackers, on a LARGE fort.
So if any of you can, feel free to give an estimate as to what the numbers could be on both sides for a fair battle :)

Also with higher numbers than 150....

DeletedUser34084

dXPYeJt.png

First victim already happened :(

Artem124

this what a awesomia battle in az is!... 60% join the winning side (defense) and 40% join losing side (attack)
those that join attack are trying to balance it out.. but those that want a guaranteed win then they join the defense side!!

IF only you can make a change where every 10 people sign up its they directly are sent to one side...
ex first 10 sign up for defense - next 10 only for attack - so and so .. so it evens it out..

Hr.Nyborg

Ex-Team Member
Well it was actually talked in my polls.

Will you have reward for only the winners, or both side ?
Both side were chosen. So no matter what side you are on, in the Awesomia battles "everyone will win"
There is of course an official winner in the battle. But still, these battles are only ment as a fun time deal and make some noise on the worlds :cool:

Now compared to the time this battle is scheduled, i will take note of the attendance, if it should be lower than normal. BUT if we do fill up both sides, maybe the attackers will be surprised that they can have more players on their side, and might be able to have a more fair fight suddenly :p

Goober Pyle

The West Team
Well it was actually talked in my polls.

Will you have reward for only the winners, or both side ?
Both side were chosen. So no matter what side you are on, in the Awesomia battles "everyone will win"
There is of course an official winner in the battle. But still, these battles are only ment as a fun time deal and make some noise on the worlds :cool:

Now compared to the time this battle is scheduled, i will take note of the attendance, if it should be lower than normal. BUT if we do fill up both sides, maybe the attackers will be surprised that they can have more players on their side, and might be able to have a more fair fight suddenly :p

One thing that would improve Attack turnout would be an assurance that joining and dying in attack would be compensated with a health+energy buff (e.g. green pancakes, wonder tincture, indian rite necklace, or even a can of spinach) not available to people who join defense.

Goober Pyle

The West Team
Even better would be a new character buff that provided a buff as good as or better than typical FF character buffs and worked like an indian rite necklace if you get passed out during the two hour window after consuming it.

"Fort Fighter's luck charm" : +10 Mob +10 Dex +10 Cha and KO protection for two hours

Artem124

41 people so far signed up in az for awesomia attack.. told ya all joining the winning defense side.. just another overkill battle

Deadeye Jerry

The awesomia battle seem nice but leaders are needed because even if the attackers fill all the spots and the offliners stay where they started most likely they will lose so it would be nice if at least there is set topic for the attack.

Also, 5 pm is bad timing, the Americans are probably at work even some europeans haven't come home so most of the people will be offline

Goober Pyle

The West Team
The awesomia battle seem nice but leaders are needed because even if the attackers fill all the spots and the offliners stay where they started most likely they will lose so it would be nice if at least there is set topic for the attack.

Also, 5 pm is bad timing, the Americans are probably at work even some europeans haven't come home so most of the people will be offline

Yeah, lack of ability to rank and to set topics is another major drawback to these awesomia digs that turns people off.

At least for colorado It's be great if "GM Town" could join one of the Major alliances for the window of the attack (and have the highest ranked town from the other Major alliance made an owner of Awesomia)
(ideally whichever sides "day" it is -- Regulators digs on Even days and Storm digs on odd days, so in this instance where the Fight is occurring on Friday July 30 it would have been great for "GM town" to join Storm from just before declaring the battle until the end of the battle)