Favourite fantasy race

DeletedUser

Don't like Elves. (Too high and mighty). Dwarves aren't economically viable (I mean, do you ever see them spending any of that gold? Their rate of inflation must be through their cavern ceilings!), for me its' either Orcs or Humans.

DeletedUser35174

Well said Tyger, well said.

EDIT:
reputation_neg.gif
Favourite fantasy race 20.08.13 03:39 awww hell no. LOTR elves> pretty much any other fantasy race. Now, in the inheritance cycle, i think a decent case could be made for the other races being more interesting than elves. Elves in the inheritance cycle aren't a very interesting race.

What are you talking about Gandlaf. Elves are really not likeable.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28032

Don't like Elves. (Too high and mighty).

Not the way I play elves, The elves I use are more like cats; Capricious, evil and with a penchant for torturing small furry animals to death just for kicks but then again you can't deny they have style (Not to mention cute and fluffy)

DeletedUser

My favorite fantasy race is humans. Writers go to more trouble with other races because it's easier. They can make them as alien as they like. It means a lot more to me when they go to the trouble to develop a human culture that is very strange by our standards, but still recognizably and realistically human. A well-written human character is generally developed more fully as well. With non-humans, race development often takes the place of character development.

DeletedUser34315

My favorite fantasy race is humans. Writers go to more trouble with other races because it's easier. They can make them as alien as they like. It means a lot more to me when they go to the trouble to develop a human culture that is very strange by our standards, but still recognizably and realistically human. A well-written human character is generally developed more fully as well. With non-humans, race development often takes the place of character development.

That's a very good point.
Orson Scott Card does a very good job of doing both- making a believable human culture and characters, as well as alien races, but there's not many other authors out there who can pull it off.

DeletedUser

Are you determined to cultivate infinite reputation? Because if you do then right now I can't give any.

Apelatia

It seems I am the only one here who likes the whole idea of Elves. Everything about them, from their gracefulness, to the aura of mystery about them attracts me... They are my favourite fantasy race... It's those orcs that I just can't stand!

DeletedUser

It's those orcs that I just can't stand!

I wish I could tell you read Orcs by Stan Nicholls, but I can't. For some reason I couldn't bring myself to buy a trade paperback by someone I'd never read, so I got the first book of his Covenant Rising series instead. It was the worst fantasy novel I've ever read.

DeletedUser28032

What about the Orcs in the Elder Scrolls? because technically they're elves too

DeletedUser

Omg, I completely forgot. It is not the Urgals that are my favorite race but Werecats. Werecats didn't come into my mind when I was thinking about Elves and Urgals.

King of the Werecats, Lord of the Lonely Places, Ruler of the Night Reaches and He Who Walks Alone

He Who Walks Alone - Grimrr Halfpaw, King of the Werecats

Last edited by a moderator: