Enough is enough. Read this before joining a town

DeletedUser

First, let me explain to you what a town is. A town is a group of people - first builders, then builders, soldiers, and duelists, who joined the town to sleep in the hotel for free and to buy things cheaper. In exchange for that, they donate as much money as they can to the town to make it bigger and stronger.

Now, there is a policy town owners have been implementing, called 'rotation'. I don't know about you, but for me rotation doesn't exactly mean what they should have called it, and that is betrayal. They invite people, make them donate until they are broke, and then kick them out until they make some more money. Now I won't argue with people who already made up their mind about the issue. I am not here to protest against 'unfairness', because there is no such thing in life anyway. I write this to warn people before joining a town - think twice. There is plenty of towns out there, and I am pretty sure there is at least one honest mayor among them. If you are not against the rotation - go ahead, join a wealthy town and spin! If you are, however, make sure that the town that is accepting you doesn't have this policy. It may take longer to build, but at least it's members will have something to rely on. And town owners, maybe it is more profitable to have a lot of members and rotate them, but I say get your max member count to the number of members or don't build a town at all.

~Hank

DeletedUser

First, let me explain to you what a town is. A town is a group of people - first builders, then builders, soldiers, and duelists, who joined the town to sleep in the hotel for free and to buy things cheaper. In exchange for that, they donate as much money as they can to the town to make it bigger and stronger.

Now, there is a policy town owners have been implementing, called 'rotation'. I don't know about you, but for me rotation doesn't exactly mean what they should have called it, and that is betrayal. They invite people, make them donate until they are broke, and then kick them out until they make some more money. Now I won't argue with people who already made up their mind about the issue. I am not here to protest against 'unfairness', because there is no such thing in life anyway. I write this to warn people before joining a town - think twice. There is plenty of towns out there, and I am pretty sure there is at least one honest mayor among them. If you are not against the rotation - go ahead, join a wealthy town and spin! If you are, however, make sure that the town that is accepting you doesn't have this policy. It may take longer to build, but at least it's members will have something to rely on. And town owners, maybe it is more profitable to have a lot of members and rotate them, but I say get your max member count to the number of members or don't build a town at all.

~Hank

This helped me. I'm new to this and don't know a thing about towns.
Thanks.

DeletedUser

~Hank

Mad Hank, why did you post this?

Are you sick and tired of new players asking the same questions over and over again?

DeletedUser

I'd say I am more sick of town mayors robbing their own people... over and over again.

And I am glad to help, mr. kamikazie =)

DeletedUser

how is it robbing its a way for more people to get better items quicker.

now I probably wish it wasn't possible to do this at all but to stay competitive you have to.

Hard to duel against people who shop at stores 3-4 levels above yours.

when your lil knife does 12 dmg and theres does 30.

I can understand if the founders never reinvite the people who deposited but not everyone is that much of a jerk

DeletedUser

There is plenty of towns out there, and I am pretty sure there is at least one honest mayor among them.

There should be. I think I can pinpoint some towns in all 3 Worlds.

Anyway, I COMPLETELY agree with you.

Not that I don't understand how the system works, and I do see a point of "rotation". But if a rotating should be done, do it in a polite manner.

If you explain things in a rational and civilized manner, any rational and civilized person will understand. Do it politely.

DeletedUser

*spits on the floor*

I reckon Mad Hank here is on ta something. I mean, if you're gonna go and work hard on building up a town only ta not be able ta use it, that don't seem right. Seems like some yankee so-cial-ist bull crap to me. I know my brother (roommate actually), TAMUGeo, is starting up a town out west right now, and I will whoop his butt if he tried and pull somethin like this out there.

Well, good luck to yall and watch out for them fellers riding the owl hoot trails.

DeletedUser

Mad Hank, I don't understand why are you saying that all town mayors who use the rotation system are dishonest. Obviously, you don't use the town services 24/7, so not being member of a town all the time doesn't cause any harm (except when you're a dueler, of course, but most of the time they are not rotated). And when you're in you have much better stores and hotel to use. Moreover, you can't be dueled while you're not a member, it's much safer to join only for a little time to donate, shop and start a sleeping period.

This system needs very active town leaders, but it has nothing to do with honesty. I'm a member of a town like this in 2 worlds, and I always got an invitation in 30 minutes when I requested. Just tell me one disadvantage of rotation.

Of course there are some mayors who use other players, but they usually aren't successful, because they lose most of their members. And it has nothing to do with rotation.

DeletedUser

Thats actually one of the things I dont like about rotation policies.
It relies completely on how active (and honest) the leaders are.

Its the reason I have extended the residence of my current town on s2 to accomodate everyone who was on rotation, as it reduces micro-management and after reading my advice alot of members cant be picked off by stray duelists for cash either.

Additionally the founders no longer need to mass mail 8+ players at a time to let them know whats going on, they simply need to make a forum post and their management work load has decreased significantly.

Since joining the town has grown 600 points within days and money is literally falling out of the treasuries ears compared to pre-rotation.

In the end everyone is happy, having fun (rather than feeling like power playing) and they have more energy due to the fact they can rest any time, rather than when they are not on rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Rotation sucks. Big time. For 90% of the players.

1. The founders have to be online most of the time to offer invites.
2. The outsiders need to write telegrams everytime they want in.
3. The outsiders need to wait until they get the invite.
4. Rotation is a pain in the ass for duelant characters.
5. In the end, the effort / effect is much less than 1, meaning it's a lot easier to upgrade the residence up to level 3 and with 15 members things go a lot easier.

I was offered a place in Coyote Creek and warned about the rotation... found that as an insult to my duelling skills...))

And a little bragging:

Richard Riddick wins the duel, gains 20 experience points and steals $143 from boxeru. :D

DeletedUser

It depends on how one likes to play the game. Rotation needs more micro-management and activity, but it helps to build the town quicker in the early stages.

Some players like to belong to the highest ranked towns and have kick-ass equipment. Others like to duel or just get to know people. I didn't say that rotation is the best for everyone. I just said that it can be efficient, and it's wrong to blame all leaders who use it with dishonesty.

DeletedUser

In my opinion rotation is plain cheating. If a town councillor asks you to be part of his "Rotation system" he's just robbing you.

DeletedUser

In my opinion rotation is plain cheating. If a town councillor asks you to be part of his "Rotation system" he's just robbing you.

It takes two. If you don't like the setup, then don't agree/join.

DeletedUser

As someone in world 2 who hasn't joined a town yet (for reasons of wanting to build a 'town' not a communistrotationcircleofabsolutelynogratitude) I agree. I would like the town to be more of a community than something someone gets to be in when convenient to the owner. I have had invites from leaders and have denied each one after sending a telegram to other members of the town asking whether rotation was deployed.

Loyalty, Chivalry, Honesty. Were these not the great traits of the west?

Yeah ok, maybe not, but I can dream.

DeletedUser

What a load of crap - who cares! If it betters the town and you get a permant place there then good, if not you an ass. Draw the line there.

DeletedUser

see the thing that happened with me was , i wasn't told about any rotation until i tried to use the hotel that i helped build, and the general store i build over 50% myself and put in over $200, so i log in to use hotel so i can work and it says i am out of the town and this email is what i got from the owner, i will remove his name do to privacy reasons

i am kicking you...since you was willing to do anything for the town...so i can get another builder in here with money...that way we can get this first phase done faster.

ill invite you in 1-3 days when the next phase comes. We are almost there so it shouldnt be long. and i dont want to lose this builder.

-Town Founder-

DeletedUser

i am kicking you...since you was willing to do anything for the town...so i can get another builder in here with money...that way we can get this first phase done faster.

ill invite you in 1-3 days when the next phase comes. We are almost there so it shouldnt be long. and i dont want to lose this builder.

-Town Founder-

That is just dispicable ... when I form a town (in 2 or 3 Days) I will NOT be running a rotation system, if anyone would like to apply for residency, please send me a PM, and I will be intouch one construction under way

DeletedUser

see i can see rotating if you let them know a head of time but it also is kinda like a gray area, and all in all its a game

DeletedUser

One thing I can't understand. Why do you mix up the rotation system with bad town leaders? The guy that kicked Loggy is an *sshole, not because he uses the system, but because he doesn't tells it to the members and kicks them out without notice. Suppose a rotation town leader sends you an invitation whenever you wish in short time, and only kicks you if you said you finished with everything you wish in town. Is he still a dishonest, bad leader, only using members? If not then please stop generalizing, my town founder is a nice fellow and nobody had any problems with this system yet. It works.