Education systems in different coutries

DeletedUser14029

You should really hear the stories of parents in Hong Kong, FORCING (now I am certain of FORCING, because they're taken to tutor classes one after the other against their will. Luckily my parents didn't... my friends aren't so lucky :sad:) their kids to give up their leisure time and go to stupid tutor classes at the age of 6... GRADE ONE (or Primary One in my sense), packed Sunday to Saturday...

It is a fact that syllabus in Asia is way harder than those in America/Europe (this is fact, no need to start flamming... the A-Level Exam in Hong Kong is many times harder than GCE, our Cs are your As...), but generally parents are forcing their kids too much. Or the other way round, parents let their kids go berserk, thoroughly spoiled, self-centered to the extreme and to sum it up, a head-to-toe know-nothing. I sometimes hope Hong Kong will grant once again the power to beat students to teachers... they're getting out of hand these days. Nothing short of physical punishment can correct them. Enough talking. And you know the ridiculous thing is a parent can be arrested for doing as much as hitting their children in the butt just once, or a slap can become a fine or community service >.<

but I am afraid I am going off-topic. Well, not really, because thoroughly-spoiled BOYs in China is a common scene. We nicknamed them 'Little Emperors'. . .

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

It is a fact that syllabus in Asia is way harder than those in America/Europe (this is fact, no need to start flamming... the A-Level Exam in Hong Kong is many times harder than GCE, our Cs are your As...),

Generally, most Asian people believe this...but this is absolutely not the truth having seen first hand. I agree that they take more tests in Asia, but that doesn't make the course work any harder. It just means there are more tests. They are in school 50% LONGER than American students and when they graduate high school, they learned exactly the same stuff. I feel bad that my students had no leisure time and missed out on part of their youth because they were constantly in school. They also spend very little time with their families and are extremely immature and needy for their ages as a result. It's a sad life being a Korean teenager, trust me on that.

In Asia I find students are very good at memorizing, test-taking, and repetitive tasks. However, their behaviour and respect toward teachers (females in particular) are a disgrace, as you point out. They are also seriously lacking in common sense and critical thinking . They cant do assignments that require creativity, which was disappointing as a teacher. This assessment was confirmed by friends of mine who served in the US Military and had to work along side Korean soldiers. My friend summed it up "If it's not in the script, they can't do it," regarding the Korean soldiers. That's how I would describe 80% of my students, and the teachers who worked in my school.

Also your mis-fact doesn't explain why the American Universities are top in the world. Are all of the professors from Asia???
It also doesn't explain why students are all learning English in your school, but no one in America is learning Chinese. :nowink:

DeletedUser14029

Well, about no one in America is learning Chinese - I am quite sure that you're wrong. 'cause unless you're telling me Canada is drastically different from America, while my aunt is busy teaching Canadian kids Chinese, my cousin who's already Chinese is also (I don't know if it's compulsory) to find Chinese a necessary subject in his syllabus. and he's studying in a non-Chinese Catholic school :)

China is a rising force in the world, people will be if not already scrambling to learn Chinese. Just like even the Russian Royal Families, no matter how much they hate the French, learnt French during the 18~19th Centuries, when Napolean was owning and have yet to meet General Winter :p

Correction: You're right about US Universities and Professors are wonderful at Teaching, and leading schools are US, though I resent this fact XD
But I should say generally if you pick two students fresh from high school, one from, let's say, Hong Kong and another from America, you will find the Chinese learnt a lot more.

and about problem-solving, you have yet to meet my school's student. I also admit in our eyes (I am studying in a first-class Secondary School here in Hong Kong, one of the best if not the Best :p), all those NOT studying in our school are ignorant noobs and know-nothings... but I mean, your Grade 12 Maths is still stuck at the stage of 2x+7 = 14, x=? You can't deny that... that's the paper i am looking at and what my friend's brother told me. He Aced every subject in UC Berkley. . .

and about learning English, better say we're learning from the British not the Americans... hence you notice my words often have an extra 'u', or some other minor things. Remember Hong Kong has been a colony of the British for 99 years, starting from year 1898, during which the Brits are still strong :p

DeletedUser

Well, about no one in America is learning Chinese - I am quite sure that you're wrong. 'cause unless you're telling me Canada is drastically different from America, while my aunt is busy teaching Canadian kids Chinese, my cousin who's already Chinese is also (I don't know if it's compulsory) to find Chinese a necessary subject in his syllabus. and he's studying in a non-Chinese Catholic school

That's a private school. I garuntee that Chinese is not in the Canadian public school curriculum. In fact, I'd bet money on it.

Correction: You're right about US Universities and Professors are wonderful at Teaching, and leading schools are US, though I resent this fact XD
But I should say generally if you pick two students fresh from high school, one from, let's say, Hong Kong and another from America, you will find the Chinese learnt a lot more.

What do you resent? You claimed that the Asian curriculum is superior to American and I simply responded with a question that you can't answer. And you can't back this up at all, so why bother saying it?

and about problem-solving, you have yet to meet my school's student. I also admit in our eyes (I am studying in a first-class Secondary School here in Hong Kong, one of the best if not the Best :p), all those NOT studying in our school are ignorant noobs and know-nothings... but I mean, your Grade 12 Maths is still stuck at the stage of 2x+7 = 14, x=? You can't deny that... that's the paper i am looking at and what my friend's brother told me. He Aced every subject in UC Berkley. . .

My friend's brother told me that I usually know more about my own profession than a 16 year old girl.

and about learning English, better say we're learning from the British not the Americans...

That's too bad because North American English is the standard international language, not British. Also you said "Asia" not "Hong Kong" particularly.

We all agree on the fact Koreans are crazy... There are articles on papers of Korean kids studying in an icy room such that they can't fall asleep, and that. They're currently claiming that all of China's historical figures came from Korea, and the rest of China originated from Korea, and pretty much the whole world once belonged to Korea... This is not racism. This is what they're teaching in Primary School. They MIGHT be the next century's Nazi Germany >.<

That is NORTH Korea. You're silly. And off-topic.

DeletedUser14029

No. . . about your last quote, I am referring to South Korea (and of the North Koreans, they claim they are born of a god race blah blah blah) That's a joke for those who know about how ridiculous that is, particularly among my History teachers.

hehe, so what is the easy math questions I am looking at for GCE? (though admittedly I am only 50% sure for English questions out of 4 choices... exotic words ^^)

when I claimed I resent I put a smiley there, meaning that I DO NOT resent that, merely to (try) put a smiley on your face as well. Didn't know I will cause any confusion >.<

About not in curriculum . . . so why people are learning Chinese all of a sudden :p
I know people some time ago learn Spanish (they still do), which is as a second language. Chinese is now put into consideration as the 2nd . . . which never happened before >.<

I am forced to learn Chinese as well... I speak Cantonese but not Mandarin, which Mandarin is counted as the official Chinese language while Cantonese is restricted to the southern provinces ^^

Lastly, what world are you on o_O?

DeletedUser

Chinese is the most spoken language in the world.

The #2 language in Canada is French.

I'm in world 6-11

DeletedUser

Please start a new thread when you start a totally different topic. I am not going to keep dividing these threads up.