Economic crisis affecting you?

DeletedUser

I'm just curious. I know most of you that play this game are between middle school to college under grads. And the rest adults? That is based on the innogames website. I hope there accurate.

All of us are spread out in the world, has your countries economy affected you in any way? I've been unemployed for almost a year now and my Wife will be losing her job next week. Things are sucking right now, thank goodness there is this game to keep my mind away from reality. :blink:

Edit: I want to add that I'm an MBA Graduate, don't get the idea I'm lazy shrew..

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3717

Same... Currently no jobs aviable for anyone now. Stupid Britain Lmao.

DeletedUser

In short, nowhere nearly as badly as it could have done. But still, it's meant pretty major changes. I used to work in the financial sector (hedge-fund management), but due to a mixture of seeing the writing on the wall of this economic crisis and wanting to do something I actually enjoy for a living; I started freelance writing 18 months ago. Vastly less money, but infinitely more joy. But if I'd still worked in the City, this would have hit us very hard indeed, so at least, from a personal perspective, I've had time to adjust already.

My mrs is a teacher, so like all public-sector workers, is kind of insulated from this kind of economic depression - in the sense of income and job security, at least. However, with things spiralling as they are in Britain at the moment, we're moving back to the US in a month or so (she's American, I'm English) - as however crappy things are in the US at the moment, cost of living is still drastically lower than in the UK (in london in particular.)

*In the spirit of OP's edit: I've got two Ba.'s and an Ma. and my Mrs has got a Ba. an Ma. and a Ph.D and I very seriously doubt either of us could find another job in Britain at the moment - and it's only going to get worse. Much worse. Much, much worse.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
The worlds getting lazier and the government aren't working to our interests (or are idiots). I think I'm fine though because the British Government lacks people like me and without us we wont meet to energy targets, I'm still gathering A-Levels but I am hoping for one of the better sponsors next year.

DeletedUser

Yep, I never thought it would affect me, but as an 18 year old student, when I see my bank balance go down by £500, it is a worrying thing.

From then on I never buy anything on eBay, amazon or anything online. Don't like spending as much when going out, looking for cheaper deals, and generally being a tighter git.

These are bad times, it has hit everyone.

DeletedUser

nashy19, can you please add me as a friend on here?

Off Topic on Off Topic how bad can you get?

Not hit us as yet in terms of job losses (well not hit my parents). i'm just trying to spend less on games and sports gear and trying to lose less stuff.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
For legal reasons Obama can't fire republications running the law and civil rights departments even though they do nothing but break the law.

In other news: Giant cabbages boost the housing market

DeletedUser

did you know that every great recession the world has had, its ended in a world war. A little fact for you.

:indian:Crag

DeletedUser

So back on topic... ;)

I sold my house a while ago, before the interest rates were really going to do me a lot of damage so being debt free with a very nice nest egg is a pretty good position to be in right now. The biggest problem for me is that the rental market is so tight here. It is virtually impossible right now to get an apartment where I want to be so I'm stuck renting in the suburbs at the moment.

On the upside, I did get to upgrade all my brown goods and white goods, so I won't need to buy anything for the next decade. :)

DeletedUser

I had a job offer at Burger King and Wall Mart. Can you imagine working your ass off for 7 years in college to end up working for Burger King. This is like throwing away my Masters Degree..

I'll take that back.. A job is better than not having one, right?

DeletedUser

Any job is better than none.
I'm still educating myself, but I will take whatever job I may get once I am done.
Better with a temporary job in a diffrent field, than no job at all imo.

That said, I do notice food getting alot more expensive :S

DeletedUser

Our food prices here were already insane because of the drought. Financial crisis certainly doesn't help. :(

DeletedUser

I had a job offer at Burger King and Wall Mart. Can you imagine working your ass off for 7 years in college to end up working for Burger King. This is like throwing away my Masters Degree..

Unless it's a Masters in Philosophy, in which case just hope they don't find out you aren't qualified. ;)

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Unless it's a Masters in Philosophy, in which case just hope they don't find out you aren't qualified. ;)

I wonder if you can make a Philosophy doctorate be any PhD you want, and how long it would last. I suppose I'd need to find a job where the more qualified you are the less you do.